ScrogOrDie's 2400W THC Snow, AK-47 & Caramelicious Journal

The bulbs I ordered arrived late--they only had dual spectrum from the brand I like--so I've finally got them under the screen. I ran out of string halfway through, so I had to use some shitty plastic cord to finish off, haha. The AK-47's on the left; the THC Snow's on the right. I purposefully forgot where the Caramelicious are, because I thought it'd be fun to figure it out during flower.

4.jpg

I guess it comes down to space... which I already know I need more... much more.

I started by building my own tent to fit a small space. I grew them out in veg to get the greatest yield with the space available. I will likely strike a balance between SOG and SCROG. I placed two CBD Lullaby x Jack I to my flower tent two days after I went 12/12. They were only 8 inches tall but bushy. I knew I couldn't tell at that age but they sure looked like males so I stuck them in rather than taking time to clone because of limited space. They turned out females and took 2 weeks longer to show buds than the more mature plants who had put on heavy pre-flowers in veg. But about 30 days I to flower they caught up with my Durban Poison as far as bud size and bulk. They will surpass the Durban... of that I'm confident, although they won't yield as much.

For that reason, I've surmised that it's a wash. Short veg and lower yield = long veg large yield. Over time, many more harvests running them short veg time.

BUT, with top and train early on, it appears to me that a balance can be struck that get the plants into flower fairly quick while producing a respectable per plant yield.

I'm looking forward to trying Doc Buds high brix. A scientific organic approach appeals to me.

As far as making oil... I use everclear grain alcohol with two 3 minute quick washes. I freeze both the bud and everclear to extract as little chlorophyl and waxes as possible. I'm toying with decarboxylating bud in turkey bag before extraction to preserve terpenes, and then either low or no heat to evaporate off the alcohol.

It's quite easy, just finding the best methods to preserve all that goodness is the challenge. But, it's all worth it because of all the lives I've seen changed and even saved thru FECO( full extract cannabis oil).

One more thing...
One of the reasons high brix appeals to me is that a living high energy soil is easier to maintain steady growth and maturation than mixing the damn chemicals, and then waiting for them to dry out between watering to keep roots healthy. Logic tells me that if a plant can have explosive growth right after feedings that quickly wanes as they dry out, then one should be able to achieve rapid steady growth rather than the up and down cycles. Better for the plant, the grower, and the yield. With high brix, one still drys out between watering but the swings are mitigated because the soil is alive and putting out at a relatively even steady pace.

Yes, I agree. I like to FIM or top as early as possible to get them to bush out, and then ScrOG to get as many bud sites as possible. This way, I don't have to veg longer than 4-6 weeks (depending on plant count), and I maximise the yield.

I take it high brix is an organic soil mix? I've always wanted to try organic soil mixes, but I'm going to wait until I move out of the country, and start doing outdoor grows. I find soil indoors doesn't give me the options that rockwool does. For example, it takes longer to fix deficiencies, and it takes longer to dry out which can easily lead to over-watering. I think a lot of people buy into the argument that organics will make the buds taste better, but I think this is pseudoscience. Chemical nutrients are simply made up of the same minerals which are in organics, and the plants assimilate them in the same way. Nutrients aren't what give bud a harsh/poor taste; that's entirely down to the dry/cure process.

Wow, making oil soil really interesting. I'm planning on going in on an operation with a friend, and we're going to double the numbers I'm doing alone. We said we'd try some CBD strains for fun, so I'm gonna have to try to make some oil now that you've brought it up, haha.

This is from the second day of flower. I'm having this weird problem with my bud sites where the new growth has gone a pale green/yellow after the lights-off period. I've never run into this issue before, so I'm confused as to what might be causing it. It's obviously a lack of chlorophyll, but I don't think it's a nitrogen deficiency, as that would start at the bottom of the plant. Do you think it could be light bleaching or heat stress? It is pretty warm where I am right now; my lights are 2 feet away from the canopy. If anyone could give me a heads up on what might be causing that, I'd appreciate it!

5.jpg

At different phases of growth I've had distinct differences in color with growth tips being a lime green even when mature fan leaves have been quite dark.
As they grew they quickly darkened.

I assumed it was normal as no other problems manifested when this was happening. Could it be strain related?

I'd think that light bleaching would effect more than just growth tips, rather all growth at highest points of canopy. And wouldn't heat street show in other ways such as leaf margins curling or leaf tips drooping?

The more I thought about it... on all three strains the light/lime green growth tips came early in veg when there was rapid growth. As the plants matured and growth leveled out new growth came in same darker green.

My guess is that you just have your grow dialed in better than in the past and you're having some explosive growth!

Looking great!!

Subbing up for this grow! Should be interesting to see the end results of all these 4" cubes. I will have a seat and see what I can soak up during this hydro style lesson :)

The yellowing on your new growth, is it starting from the edges of the leaves and working its way to the middle? Or is it just showing up everywhere? Pictures of the issue possibly?

I think you're right, Randoobula (what a name, haha). The yellowing on has mostly faded, and the new growth is looking a darker green. I think it was because I left the plants in darkness for 24 hours, before starting the flowering period, which perhaps fucked up their chlorophyll production. I usually do this, but, for some reason, the effect was more pronounced this time. I'm currently watering once a day, but I can easily see myself watering 2-3 times a day by the end of flower. The last photo is from day 7 of flower (it's now day 8). I'm starting to see pistils forming. I've been tucking all the tallest bud sites under the screen, so the lower bud sites have time to catch up, but I'll start to ease off this soon, as I want to end up with some nice bud stacking at the end of flower.
1.jpg
2.jpg

So today, I cut the screen out, as I've finished training, and I wanted to tidy up the lower canopy. I know most growers like to lollipop at the start of flower, but I usually leave it until a week or two in, as you never know which lower bud sites might just make it high enough--depending on strain, pheno and light. Here are some shots of how they're shaping up just to prove how large you can grow them in 4" cubes--and I could probably grow them a lot larger.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I had to move them into the attic, because I thought a family member was visiting, but it was a false alarm. They got 24 hours of darkness, and did that weird thing again where the top growth went bright green, so it must happen due to a prolonged lack of light. I did a little more pruning to clear any lower bud sites that aren't getting any light. Today's the start of week 3 of flower.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Ha, I take 9 plants out at a time (1/4 of the ScrOG), and water by hand. ;) Next time, I'll make sure to set up a drip feed system, so I can save myself the hassle.
It's a hassle but not actually a hassle, this way you get to inspect the ladies one by one.
Beautiful spread though.

Yah, that grow space filled up nice! I have a drip system setup but I prefer to just hand water my grow as it gives me a chance to spend some time with my grow. However, if I had the amount of plants you do I would definitely be drip feed haha

Ha, I definitely will use a drip feed system next time. Like MrJojo said, it's been quite useful to be able to get at each plant to rotate them, etc. It's getting to the point where they need two waterings per day, so whatever stress I'm feeling now is about to double, LOL.

Day 16 of flower.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

And one just to show how large they're getting towards the end of the stretch (this one's an AK-47).

4.jpg

Most of the plants are looking like they'll produce 3-4 ounces (I think there's only one or two which are a little runty). I think these are going to be some serious yielders (especially the THC Snow); the buds are really starting to stack. I'm going to hit them with some PK boost today. Sorry, I don't have any Method 7 glasses to get a clearer picture for you.

Day 23 of flower.

5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom