Second Outdoor Desert Autoflower In Arizona

Saturday update:
High today only 94° F, humidity didn’t check but I’m sure it’s low.

Autos pretty much the same. No new leaf issues. The PP grew up to the top of the box so I had to tie the branches down a little. Forgot to get photos, maybe later. They both got fertilizer today. Week 3 bloom 6 part GH series.

Finished putting up 40% shade over that whole area the other day. It might be a little early for that but I wanted to get it done while it’s not too hot. The autos will get full sun until about 10 or 11am. It also helps shade my potted trees and keeps the area around the chicken coop cooler. I had cemented a couple 8’ poles in the ground a few years ago, and drove some t posts and the other end gets attached to my chicken coop. It looks darker than it actually is under there, because I’m standing in the sun taking the pic. I use agfabric, and some of these are on year 3 and holding up well. Even with a few holes they don’t unravel.

BB buds

Did a second top on the photos today. It always hurts my heart a little to take off healthy new growth, but I know it’s for the best. Not sure if I should top more or let them go after this? The DP and TD are doing great. The CK pretty much bit the dust. I may try transplanting it, I ran out of energy this morning. I may just let it be, I will have my hands full with the other four. They got fertilizer today also. DP week 2 veg GH 6 part, and TD the same jug of Simply Professional I mixed up two days ago.
Is it ok to leave mixed nute water and use again? For just one plant each it would be easier to premix a gallon for each and then use that until gone.
I am doing feed, feed, water on all of these.
I ate two of the tops, and gave the other two to the chickens.

Looks like your plan is working

It looks darker than it actually is under there, because I’m standing in the sun taking the pic.
That looks good.

Not sure if I should top more or let them go after this?
I guess you’ll have to see how they look after a bit. Shed would know more about that than me.

Is it ok to leave mixed nute water and use again?
It don’t see any issues with leaving the nute mixed. It should be good for several weeks.

Beneficials on patrol.
Nice. You plants are looking good. I like looks of that Durban Poison.

I like looks of that Durban Poison.
Thanks! I thought maybe the internode lengths were too long but I’m used to my squatty LST autos so wasn’t sure if that looked normal.
Good to know I can store mixed nutes, that will help a lot with the pre work nute day scramble.

Here’s the photo of my autos missing from yest post. This pic makes them look so small but they seem huge to me in person, well the PP on the left anyways. The BB didn’t stretch near as much after bloom. The box is 4’ wide and 3’ tall.

Thanks! I thought maybe the internode lengths were too long but I’m used to my squatty LST autos so wasn’t sure if that looked normal.
Good to know I can store mixed nutes, that will help a lot with the pre work nute day scramble.

Here’s the photo of my autos missing from yest post. This pic makes them look so small but they seem huge to me in person, well the PP on the left anyways. The BB didn’t stretch near as much after bloom. The box is 4’ wide and 3’ tall.
Looking better than mine. I'm just hoping mine hang in there a little longer. Well done

Looking better than mine. I'm just hoping mine hang in there a little longer. Well done
Thanks! We should hopefully have some time left before the real heat hits. Even when it gets hot during the day, as long as it’s still cooling off at night. It’s those 100° nights that are hard on everything.

I'd certainly either top the Durban much lower or slowly bend those branches down to create new tops from the lower growth. It's already looking really leggy and we're not even halfway into May!

How many hours of sunlight (direct or shade-cloth) do the plants get/day?
Both of the photo seedlings look like that. We’re currently at 13 hours 40 min. They were in the box with the others in full sun before, and got direct sun prob until midday and then were shaded by the autos probably. I was planning on doing some LST to them once I plant them in a bigger pot. They’re down to needingvv cm water every other day so we’re close.

I think I would be more likely to bend them down than re-top them.

I asked about the sun because 40% loss of lux is a lot even in the desert. If you put them in the tent lux range but only get them 14 hours of that light, you're not taking as much advantage of the sun as you could. I know a grower in Palm Springs who grew (I think) a Northern Lights in 120º heat, full sun, just by keeping the roots wet.

I think I would be more likely to bend them down than re-top them.

I asked about the sun because 40% loss of lux is a lot even in the desert. If you put them in the tent lux range but only get them 14 hours of that light, you're not taking as much advantage of the sun as you could. I know a grower in Palm Springs who grew (I think) a Northern Lights in 120º heat, full sun, just by keeping the roots wet.
OK thanks for the help. I’ll put them back in full sun.
Keeping the critters from eating them is going to be one of my biggest challenge I think. So taller plants that I could ring the base with hardware cloth may be an advantage. Here’s a pic I took on our road while riding the other afternoon. Everything is dry and brown, we didn’t even get any weeds this winter. Ground squirrels are eating my tomato plants, not the tomatoes, the plants themselves. And they even ate my castor bean plants, which are poisonous. (And I’m a vet tech and animal lover, but I hope they died, little bastards) I just get so frustrated every spring and summer, when I work so hard to grow stuff. Everything in my yard is caged in hardware cloth, it’s pretty ridiculous. Sometimes I just want to give up.
View media item 1826529

OK thanks for the help. I’ll put them back in full sun.
Keeping the critters from eating them is going to be one of my biggest challenge I think. So taller plants that I could ring the base with hardware cloth may be an advantage. Here’s a pic I took on our road while riding the other afternoon. Everything is dry and brown, we didn’t even get any weeds this winter. Ground squirrels are eating my tomato plants, not the tomatoes, the plants themselves. And they even ate my castor bean plants, which are poisonous. (And I’m a vet tech and animal lover, but I hope they died, little bastards) I just get so frustrated every spring and summer, when I work so hard to grow stuff. Everything in my yard is caged in hardware cloth, it’s pretty ridiculous. Sometimes I just want to give up.
View media item 1826529
A vet tech. My wife and I foster kittens we've saved 300 over the years

That’s awesome! God bless both of you. That’s a lot of cats who’s lives you’ve saved.
We just have one cat that’s technically ours, a stray that showed up here and decided to move in, lol. And there’s a couple more feral strays outdoors that we feed.

@InTheShed
Since I can’t plant in my raised bed with the PH so high, I was thinking of growing in 10 gal fabric pots. How should I step up to those from the 1 gal they’re in?. I have plastic nursery 5 gal I could use in between.

Mighty tall horse you're riding in that desert pic!

Not every plant can take that direct sunlight heat so do keep an eye on them. Maybe a shade cloth with more penetration would be a good middle ground. I'm pretty sure the Palm Springs grower had his on his garden drip sprinkler.

@InTheShed
Since I can’t plant in my raised bed with the PH so high, I was thinking of growing in 10 gal fabric pots. How should I step up to those from the 1 gal they’re in?. I have plastic nursery 5 gal I could use in between.
5 gallon nursery pot sounds great as the in-between step, but black plastic will raise the outside root temps enough to kill them in an afternoon. If you can put the 5 gallon pots in the empty 10 gallon cloth pots, that will shade them. I do that with my 1 gallons plastic pots (slid into 2 gallon cloth).

Wednesday update:
Sunny and hot, currently 95° F, high is supposed to be 96 but I think it’s gonna be hotter here.
Humidity 12%, light wind

I just got done working in the yard, hauling some hay, fertilizing and
watering all my plants and trees and I’m fried. The sun out here is so intense it’s crazy.

Autos got nutes today as well, week 4 for bloom of the GH series.
PP is huge, and still in early flower. BB is smaller but farther ahead on bloom.

Photos got nutes today as well. Week 3 veg GH for the Durban, and Simply Professional 5 gm per gallon for the Tangerine.
The leaves on the TD are starting to get a little yellow at the bottom, think I’ll have to increase the concentration next batch I mix up. I moved them back into full sun tues morning and they are doing fine.
I got my true 50% white shade cloth yesterday in the mail, and will put that up when it starts getting around 105 or so.

I’m super excited about the Pebbles Pranks. It’s a Girl Scout Cookie and Fruity Pebbles cross and I can’t wait to get to smoke that! Hopefully I can get a good harvest at the end!

Wednesday update:
Sunny and hot, currently 95° F, high is supposed to be 96 but I think it’s gonna be hotter here.
Humidity 12%, light wind

I just got done working in the yard, hauling some hay, fertilizing and
watering all my plants and trees and I’m fried. The sun out here is so intense it’s crazy.

Autos got nutes today as well, week 4 for bloom of the GH series.
PP is huge, and still in early flower. BB is smaller but farther ahead on bloom.

Photos got nutes today as well. Week 3 veg GH for the Durban, and Simply Professional 5 gm per gallon for the Tangerine.
The leaves on the TD are starting to get a little yellow at the bottom, think I’ll have to increase the concentration next batch I mix up. I moved them back into full sun tues morning and they are doing fine.
I got my true 50% white shade cloth yesterday in the mail, and will put that up when it starts getting around 105 or so.

Shrubbery lots of it. Take it to the knights who say ne

Back
Top Bottom