Seed troubles

whatayawant

I've been growing indoors for about a year and a half now with pretty good luck but lately I've had nothing but trouble getting from the seed to an actual seedling.I germinate the seeds to begin with then I put the seeds in potting soil but hardly anything has made it past the surface of the soil.I bought seeds from Herbies head shop last fall and none of the seeds survived so I assumed they gave me old seeds.Then I bought some super lemon haze seeds from mjseedscanada.ca because in the past I bought Blue Mystic seeds and they all grew great but this time I got the same results,the seeds germinate but nothing makes it to the seedling stage.I'm at my wits end on what I could possibly be doing wrong.I use potting soil that's made from soil,peat moss and perlite.I start in small clay pots and transplant to larger pots.To start the seeds I place the pots under a 2 foot fluorescent tube and when they're about 6 inches tall then I put them under my 600 Watt HPS. I water the soil with a spray bottle set on mist just until the soil surface looks damp about twice a day.

I started off with growing northern lights and they grew great but with the way things are going I might have to grow only northern lights or blue mystic.I don't have a PH meter so I can't tell if the water is of the correct level.The only thing I haven't tried is using a different brand of potting soil.One thing I should note is the potting soil I have is really dry but that shouldn't matter much.Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've been growing indoors for about a year and a half now with pretty good luck but lately I've had nothing but trouble getting from the seed to an actual seedling.I germinate the seeds to begin with then I put the seeds in potting soil but hardly anything has made it past the surface of the soil.I bought seeds from Herbies head shop last fall and none of the seeds survived so I assumed they gave me old seeds.Then I bought some super lemon haze seeds from mjseedscanada.ca because in the past I bought Blue Mystic seeds and they all grew great but this time I got the same results,the seeds germinate but nothing makes it to the seedling stage.I'm at my wits end on what I could possibly be doing wrong.I use potting soil that's made from soil,peat moss and perlite.I start in small clay pots and transplant to larger pots.To start the seeds I place the pots under a 2 foot fluorescent tube and when they're about 6 inches tall then I put them under my 600 Watt HPS. I water the soil with a spray bottle set on mist just until the soil surface looks damp about twice a day.

I started off with growing northern lights and they grew great but with the way things are going I might have to grow only northern lights or blue mystic.I don't have a PH meter so I can't tell if the water is of the correct level.The only thing I haven't tried is using a different brand of potting soil.One thing I should note is the potting soil I have is really dry but that shouldn't matter much.Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I suggest you start by looking up the "damping off" disease that can affect seeds of all types of plants, especially cannabis. I had a very similar problem to yours in the past.

In one instance it was the soil I was using (a cheap potting mix from Lowes that had very little consistency even when watered) which caused the damping off, and on another occasion it was the fact that I was moving the seeds from the paper towel to the soil too soon I believe.

After switching to a better soil, allowing the taproots to mature a little more without drowning them before transplanting, and following the general guidelines required to avoid the damping-off disease, I have managed to keep from having the problem since. Good luck! :thumb:

Hi,

I suggest you start by looking up the "damping off" disease that can affect seeds of all types of plants, especially cannabis. I had a very similar problem to yours in the past.

In one instance it was the soil I was using (a cheap potting mix from Lowes that had very little consistency even when watered) which caused the damping off, and on another occasion it was the fact that I was moving the seeds from the paper towel to the soil too soon I believe.

After switching to a better soil, allowing the taproots to mature a little more without drowning them before transplanting, and following the general guidelines required to avoid the damping-off disease, I have managed to keep from having the problem since. Good luck! :thumb:

I bought a couple bags of a different potting soil this morning and I have 5 Blue Mystic seeds germinating,once the tap root shows up I'll plant them.I'll let you know the results in a couple days.Thanks.

I have nearly 100% success by dropping seeds into potting mix that has been drenched completely. No paper towels or other pre-burying BS. Once the beans are in the soil, I leave them alone under 2' T-5s. They don't usually need any additional water for about two weeks. Light watering and misting is death for cannabis, IMO.

The beans in this little pig were started on April 11th. They have not had a drop to drink since then. The pig holds a little more than a solo cup, but way less than a 1 gallon pot.

Duck_Pig.jpg

Overwatering causes damping off.

Water your soil well, then plant the seed, put it in a warm spot, then, depending on your normal humidity levels, cover with a clear cover, and lift the cover to vent the excess moisture once a day. Do NOT mist or water. You should see seedlings in 3 - 7 days.

Gradually acclimate them to room air until they don't need the cover, or plain outgrow whatever you are popping them in.

My RH is pretty low, compared with PITAs, or Weaselcracker's, so they dont need to cover their pots. I do. So whatever works for you. :Namaste:

I bought a different brand of potting soil and germinated 5 seeds of the blue mystic and as of today all 5 have popped the surface of the soil.If they're going to die they usually start now.I thought I'd plant the blue mystic again because I want to use them up and get northern lights again.Blue mystic isn't that strong really,the stoned effect only lasts maybe an hour.But it's better than nothing.

I've always been so damn scared of under watering any plant,I suppose a lot of people are the same.It's easy to tell if the plants need water once they start growing fan leaves.Once these plants start to flower then I want to try planting a few more the way Major does it.So now that their growing,should I water only once a week instead of every day like I've doing? I think I heard you all gasp there.

... Should I water only once a week instead of every day like I've doing? I think I heard you all gasp there.

gasp...

If they are sprouting, then dying soon afterwards- it's because they're overwatered. Those tiny little plants can't drink enough water to affect the moisture level in the pot. Most moisture loss is through evaporation. Evaporation is not nearly fast enough to dry them out in one day. Sometimes the surface needs a little touching up, but that's not very often.

You shouldn't be scared of underwatering. If they are underwatered they will tell you by wilting- and are cured nearly instantly by...watering.

Overwatering, on the other hand, you should be scared of. Overwatering is sometimes/often fatal and there is no easy cure other than to wait till they dry, or die - unless you want to try a transplant which is also quite risky when they are young.

Back
Top Bottom