Seeking A Sympathetic Guru! I'm 4 Years As A Medical User & New Grower

warezaholic

Hi.

I'm a disabled and handicapped Nam Vet for since 1975. I stopped using prescription painkillers long ago but only started cannabis medical relief 4 years ago, it's now way too costly to buy since the wife passed away a year ago and the loss of half our income...

This month Michigan law now allows me to relax about having a small hydro grow in my closet= 4 ft X 2 ft high ceiling, room for three hydroponic pots but I'm only growing 2 plants.

Im starting my seeds right now but I need to be sure I have a successful first grow so I'll describe my setup and welcome advice about my setup before I kill my first 2 plants now in infancy.

I'm using a 45 gallon black tote from Home Depot. I read that red lava rock is rich with favorable minerals so I put 4 inches on the bottom and am reducing 15 or so gallons of water with jugs and plastic bottles filled with tap water to reduce the need for that much water and essential nutrients and then I plan on about 20/25 gallons of feeding water.

After buying all nutritional materials, clay pellets and rockwool media is already purchased as well as 4 ft florescent lights and timer.

Questions one:

IF, I use aquarium water conditioner, can tap water be used along with high aeration and pond pump circulation and drip feeder? Or is purified water a must?

Q 2: is commercially purchased and packaged seed swapping allowed in the USA?

I've noticed hundreds of YouTube videos and dozens of (highly opinionated) DIY methods of every economy so am i on a fools errand in my choice of methods?

Hope I'm not causing any sensory overload!
chillin.png
JPEG_20190128_142536_7709509739145840199.jpg
chillin.png

Hi and welcome to 420 Magazine :hug:
We are not just a weed growing forum, we are a virtual family.
So welcome to the best place to be :)
Let me hook you up with some neighbours of yours.
@Orlando Scout and @vtwin906 come and say hi :)
Your cat is soooo cute :green_heart:
Also, for grow tips and really good DIY, you will find all here.

Search results for query: DIY
Also go here and read about how to open a journal
Helpful Links For New Members

I use tap water that’s set out for 12-24 hours. You’ll need a ph meter, they are cheap insurance n amazon. It’s a federal crime to ship cannabis seeds across state lines.

Welcome from the mitten bro, I to am a disabled vet different era. Your set up looks nice, im a soil guy so won't be much help when it comes to hydro. I will stick around and check out your grow. Hope your staying warm man!

Hey Welcome W, from the U.P.. Sorry I don't really know anything about hydro systems but have access to a lot of data. I was in Saigon cat the end and was able to scoot over to Thailand where I found and married my lovely wife of 44+ yrs.

Regarding your question on seed swapping, it is not legal but seeds sent within the USA (not imported) will not have any problems. I have bought seeds from a couple places on the west coast, they have usps tracking and have arrived in less than a week. It is 'safe' to buy seeds from any of the EU or Canadian places recommended or advertised in forums but there is some potential for seizure at customs, they would send a notice that the package has been seized but you will not be prosecuted.

Glad to meet you. Just above the north east border of the D.

I'm just starting out with a hydroponic 25 gallon DWC indoor (2 x 4 x 9 ft, 2 or 3 pot ) closet grow.

So;

"How Does Your Garden Grow?

Hi and welcome.

Like Pennywise said, just off gas the chlorine. If you are worried about it still, use vitamin C as a dechlorinator it takes very little.. Aquarium dechlorinators are for non-edible fish and plants.

I've used the water conditioner and ran several air stones, added about 6 oz of general hydroponic plant nutrents now about 6 days. The baskets are filled with hydro pellets to prevent debris (and wait to become host).

My seedlings (1 yummy Gelato and 1 Sour Deisel i heard was popular) are just now breaking open their first leaves under a 40 watt led nursery grow light.

I've used the water conditioner and ran several air stones, added about 6 oz of general hydroponic plant nutrents now about 6 days. The baskets are filled with hydro pellets to prevent debris (and wait to become host).

My seedlings (1 yummy Gelato and 1 Sour Deisel i heard was popular) are just now breaking open their first leaves under a 40 watt led nursery grow light.

And I purchased my first seeds from UK and had a bad experience only 2 out 6 successfully germinating. And now wish I had kept US dollars in the USA and found a home grown supplier!

I should clarify. Sodium thiosulfate is toxic and should not be used. The air stones will off gas chlorine. If your city uses chloramines you will have to remove it. Vitamin C works for this as well.

I just worry about someone consuming toxic chemicals with their medicine. :peace:

I realize that I'm gonna be in for a lot of science classwork but I'm visually impaired with an inability to read more than a few minutes without eyes burning a getting sleepy. So I'm seeking most of my studies on internet video instruction and taking nots for my gournal.

As far as watering the seedlings im using 2 qts of boiled water with a half tsp of nutrients.

But even with everything I can research on the internet, I think I jumped the gun by starting seeds from a questionable batch after some bad germination issues.

Now I'm hesitant to perform 2 cannabis abortions and start over.

The Sour Deisel sprout poped above the rockwool and decided to stay 1/4" high an hasn't gotten a bit taller in 5 days yet but is showing it's second leaf spring.

Sprout 2 Gelato, is nearly the opposite by shooting up 2.5" in 3 days trying to immate a tiny palmtree after the top starts leaning over. Looks like I may need to intervene with her if she doesn't get her sea legs pretty quick.

I should clarify. Sodium thiosulfate is toxic and should not be used. The air stones will off gas chlorine. If your city uses chloramines you will have to remove it. Vitamin C works for this as well.

I just worry about someone consuming toxic chemicals with

I was wondering if yhis message was meant for me? Because I'm not a chemist. the chemical "Sodium Thiosulfate" and poisons is just freaky.

Sodium thiosulfate is what is in aquarium conditioner/dechlorinators. I didn't want something that is toxic to consume used on cannabis. It is not safe.

Whew! Thanks a bunch. I didn't plan on keeping that water, in favor of purified water and some commercially sold DWC nutrient and PH management kit and monitoring devices. My budget is that only as much as cheaper DYI needs subsidizing. (My grandkids get first claim on any monthly subsidies). And payday is closing in fast!‍

Back
Top Bottom