SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

Don't forget need to bleed those caps off when powered down. Some call them death caps. 1500 microfarads off bank of mains voltage caps = more than just a little shock if someone touches the supply terminal and touching earth :)

OK ok, add a bleeder resistor

You'd be better off with a 5000w HP lab grade power amp. Variable input/output, cc/cv selectable.
You can run one cob at 50w or 100 cobs at 50w.
You can get one for $600-$1000 at a University lab clearance site.
15130c2fdc92a0335e384586217eb794.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey guys, Im looking for a small meanwell to test the vero chip and the citi. Looking for a dimmable meanwell so I can test them from about 0-50w each or so. Figured since more than 1 of us will benefit from the test maybe you guys already know which driver that I can dim will work? Im looking too.
I'm not going to spend hours building an adjustable one. I'd rather just buy one.

Elg 150 c2100 (I think)

You guys are doing these with small PC heat sinks. If I did it I would want a 2.5'X3' piece of extruded aluminum packed with cobs and put it on a light mover. You guys ever find cheap aluminum like that in large pieces?

I keep picturing a car radiator. I'm not playing with all the fluid and crap tho so.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

My very first DIY COB fixture

The chance of burning your house down with a 36v COB is much less than it is with a 300w HPS. A HPS temp gets in the 300° range and is AC current on a high wattage ballast. COBs on the other hand produce only 4% of that heat are DC and any Meanwell driver has thermal circuit protection that will shut down the system if heat goes above its rating. COBs are a thousand times safer than HPS, MH and even CMH.
73e0024f8d0a267088c337f7ba53554b.jpg

4e54e9b04c28e23b5781bf86e67835fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App[/

If things like this arnt prevented future law could restrict growing in residential areas for safety reasons. Don't skimp and make things dangerous. Nobody wants a fire hazard in their neighborhood and if it's a reoccurring problem people will speak up.

Just in general with all the legalization happening.

My very first DIY COB fixture

The chance of burning your house down with a 36v COB is much less than it is with a 300w HPS. A HPS temp gets in the 300° range and is AC current on a high wattage ballast. COBs on the other hand produce only 4% of that heat are DC and any Meanwell driver has thermal circuit protection that will shut down the system if heat goes above its rating. COBs are a thousand times safer than HPS, MH and even CMH.
73e0024f8d0a267088c337f7ba53554b.jpg

4e54e9b04c28e23b5781bf86e67835fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App[/

If things like this arnt prevented future law could restrict growing in residential areas for safety reasons. Don't skimp and make things dangerous. Nobody wants a fire hazard in their neighborhood and if it's a reoccurring problem people will speak up.

Just in general with all the legalization happening.

I agree. But in this case it was user error. They had shit Jerry rigged together running in and out of windows, through puddles. Probably hard wired into the transformer outside with battery cables. Lol.
There should be an IQ test before they hand out Grow permits.

Questions like "How many watts of power does a 300w HPS fixture use?"

A) Kim Kardashian
B) How much meth can I get for this weed yo?
C) 300
D) What's a Watt?

Elg 150 c2100 (I think)

That will work. I found another one but not in stock. I found the one you mentioned in a "B" model so I can add a dimming pot. Bought it, and I will be testing when everything is in.

Questions like "How many watts of power does a 300w HPS fixture use?"

A) Kim Kardashian
B) How much meth can I get for this weed yo?
C) 300
D) What's a Watt?

Now that's funny and scary true at the same time.

The 058 is a $100 chip pushing 18000 lumens at 52v/2.25A. Not a very fair comparison.
Driver's gonna be pricey

Pretty sure that's a high-bay chip application.
Running 3 of those would be about $600 plus you would probably want to cool actively.

The 058-1825 costs 35$ and is 25% more efficient. That is fair comparison. That is what you use, using 500W 058-3618 chip on 50W sounds little stupid :D Why I even bother post here, when all you see is one chip and look over the others? Vero v.6 is waste of money just like the CREE CXB3590. Just my 0.02$ Good day...

Pro_blby.png

@ Fanleaf if you're not adverse to using a different brand other than Meanwell then this driver may be good for you:
PE-P060CC-C140-S-ND 60 Watt
It's cheap enough but I use generic Chinese ones that cost me £5.59 each shipped, at that price I can throw them away and rebuy whenever they pop.

@ Xobe if you want ready to build DIY systems with no soldering involved, just simply screw together and plug/play then I can't tell you the link due to forum rules but google Growmau5 and he will tell you where to get them on his videos, or in his links. Seems stupid that I have to post this way.

@cnile The best way I have found to get heatsinks are to use server heatsinks, I have 4 rated at 80w TDP and and 1 at 120w TDP, all cost around £5-£6 :thumb:

That will work. I found another one but not in stock. I found the one you mentioned in a "B" model so I can add a dimming pot. Bought it, and I will be testing when everything is in.

Sweet. Want me to ship you a Vero 29 for testing?

@ Fanleaf if you're not adverse to using a different brand other than Meanwell then this driver may be good for you:
It's cheap enough but I use generic Chinese ones that cost me £5.59 each shipped, at that price I can throw them away and rebuy whenever they pop.

@ Xobe if you want ready to build DIY systems with no soldering involved, just simply screw together and plug/play then I can't tell you the link due to forum rules but google Growmau5 and he will tell you where to get them on his videos, or in his links. Seems stupid that I have to post this way.

@cnile The best way I have found to get heatsinks are to use server heatsinks, I have 4 rated at 80w TDP and and 1 at 120w TDP, all cost around £5-£6 :thumb:
Thks i will look into it.

I may just go with 5 x 300w Cree Kits from Timber.

4 would be in the 3500k and 1 would be in the 4000k.

Each kit has 4 cob lights so think of having 4 lights in a square frame that is 2' x 2' feet 1 light per corner. Put the 4 x 3500k in 5w x 5w x 8 high tent and have the 4000k in that tent but in the middle of the 4 x 3500k lights hanging lower to help Veg more and then when switch to flower take the 4000k out and use it to Veg clones or seeds in a smaller 4' x 4' x 6' 5" high tent.

This would be 4-6 plant grow.

What ya all think of that plan?

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

It's cheap enough but I use generic Chinese ones that cost me £5.59 each shipped, at that price I can throw them away and rebuy whenever they pop.:

That driver will not run a 37V 2100mA Vero 29. It's only 1400mA

You guys are doing these with small PC heat sinks. If I did it I would want a 2.5'X3' piece of extruded aluminum packed with cobs and put it on a light mover. You guys ever find cheap aluminum like that in large pieces?

I keep picturing a car radiator. I'm not playing with all the fluid and crap tho so.

I'm using the 130mmx80mm fin pin heatsinks rated for 85w run passively. $20 each with shipping.
9cfb49994bab0d834edf1509b2e122d1.jpg

That driver will not run a 37V 2100mA Vero 29. It's only 1400mA

Well spotted, forgot about the variation in ma between COB's and I don't know what the vero without reading up, never been into Vero though. :thumb:

That's a nice price for pre drilled/tapped heatsinks including shipping, I'd be interested myself if I could get the equivalent over here. I'll send pics of mine once I've finished trimming up these girls, my fingers are too sticky for my camera atm and I'm trying to save a ball of black, sparing one finger for typing though lol :thumb:

At 80 watts that thing might reach 70C ... outside of the comfort range for efficiency I'd say. Probably would stay 40C with a proper fan though :thumb:

It's going right below the 230cfm intake air filter. I may attach a digital thermoprobe through the cable port so I can monitor temps close to the core....if my probe fits.
I'm 1/2 way though assembly. May or may not use the optics.
a77595126d95f419b107549582f58d9b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom