SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

Heres mine at 48w per chip so 45.6w per square foot.

48wperchip.JPG

Ya but not at that wattage. Cree will win on the low current. Vero's are only better in overdrive. That's why I'm using 3 COBs in a 2x4 tent at 18"(or so) above the canopy overdriven a little. Maybe 125-150%. Can't tell because my eBay "kill-a-watt" clone crapped out.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi Seymore:

Good Read, I am subbed in.

My first DIY cob.

I primarily went with the CLU048-1212C4-353H6K2 because I got them at a great price an I liked the spectrum.

My whole build including the control panel was under $350.00.

MEAN WELL HLG-185H-C1400B 1400mA $54.00 x 2 = $108.00

Mean Well RT 50b $22.00

Mouser

ARCTIC Alpine 64 GT Rev. 2 8x$8.00= $64.00

Amazon

CLU048-1212C4-353H6K2 $10.30 x 8= $82.10

Ebay

Misc. ~$46.00

Well I went a little crazy with the control panel. It is automated by an Arduino Uno; so I came in at around $350.00 for 385 watts. that is just under 50 watts per cob.

I am using an Arduino Uno computer to control the COBs, Cob heatsink fans, the exhaust fan, the far red SemiLeds and the CO2 flow valve for my grow tent. Basically it turns the lights off/on along with the heatsink cooling fans on whatever schedule I want 12/12, 18/6, 20/4 starting at whatever time I want. example = turn the lights on at 2:00pm then off at 8:00am the next morning for an 18/6. Then during the lights on period I can turn off the exhaust fan and inject CO2 until the tent starts to get too warm from the lights then turn the exhaust back on and cool the tent back down. It repeats this cycle until 30 minutes or so prior to lights out. Then at lights out it turns on the 730nm (far red) LEDs for 15 minutes to take advantage of the phytochrome cycle putting the plants to sleep right away. The AC devices are controlled via the SSR-25-da solid state relays and the 12v dc devices are controlled via the small optically isolated relays in the lower middle of the cabinet. I know it seems like a waste of CO2 to run it like that but it is such a small tent (3x3x5) that I can run a complete grow on a 10# tank of CO2 @ a calculated 1500 PPM. So it only costs about $18 for gas.

DSC0022215.JPG

DSC0023010.JPG

Happy building
My phone seems to have some issues on refreshing stuff in the mobile app. Sometimes theres nothing for hours then boom, 10 new replies. Smh :-}

Hey Man'O'Green,
What a crazy man you are. Respect for your pin point perfection and creativity on this this thing as far as i can see. Really really nice. Happy you found us.

You only spent 350 including all that stuff on the pictures? The UNO, the solderless Holders, every cable every knob and connector, everything? exclude the actual COBs and i'd need to pay double at least to rebuild and control this beauty. If i would understand how it works. :) these drivers and nice solderless holders are pretty expensive at my location for example.

I like this whole automisation stuff in general because i really could use it some days. I am out of the house for 2 or 3 days next week what shouldnt be a big deal but i want to visit family for at least a week next month and no one is at home that time. This is going to be thrilling and i dont want to bother someone looking after them. Maybe we can talk about some improvements on my setup because this is one of my many limits i have to supply myself over the year.

Can you control this uno via wifi or how does it work? Its not like one of these weather or sunset simulators right?

I went ultracheap with a simple 20 slot digital timer where my Wattage Meter, the 0-10V 8 Amp Fan Controller and the 2 different Meanwell drivers are plugged in.

looks like crap but it basically does what i want and it was entirely made from stuff i already had in the house. Now i have seen your stuff i need to hide it from myself somewhere out of the tent next to the extraction fan or somewhere were i dont see it. haha i wanted this to be happening soon anyway. Only filter, Light, Fans and Plants in there, no driver no nothing to keep the reactor cool in summer

The Far Reds i have need a driver until i flower but maybe i will give this rig a solo run first time to have a comparison. Still not shure if i should go 11/13, 12/12 or 13/11. 11hrs should be enough for both strains i guess but i cant decide.

I was looking for some kind of storm and sunset controller in my future grows.

Dreaming of playing with the indoor sun over the months of the grow, puttin a serious amount of strong 12V Fans arround the plants, hook the active intake and extake fans and all that stuff to some tiny controllers pins, sit on my PC and play god on a 2x3. Then a controllabe 4K camera would be a must too lol. My wife strangles me to death in sleep when she'll notice what this is gonna cost, i have to buy a pieces at a time and eat less, maybe i am ready next year. :)

Cant stop this...

Maybe some CO2 Meter to get a view of my status and maybe... Someday.. add that co2 in a absolutely safe way.. to charm the light down close at higher power and temperatures. For now i am careful about CO2 on the one hand i have plenty of it having the rooma door were the main air comes in to the plants now in winter and the bedroom door are tight together and open all day. Thats were our cat and dog producing co2 like hell when they snoaring 18- to 20 hours a day. lol True story

Maybe you can tell us more about how this control over your tent looks like. Thank you for sharing!

About the ladybug. It is minus 10 Celsius outside right now. In November i took a walk with Mrs Nugget and found a tree near the house were dozens if not hundreds of them still were flying around. I had a grow going and the first frost was coming so i took home about 5 or 6 and spreaded them on the plants. Maybe its still one of these looking for some enemys. I havent seen anything crawling for weeks, in or outside. But Ladybugs are like a pest on its own down were i live. I will check on that later. What was their favorite food again? Something that likes blue sticky paper? :) have plenty of that

Digikey for COBs. Get the D series Vero 29's

Mouser for the drivers. Try the HLG 2100mA ones.

Northern Grow lights for the heatsinks. Use the 136mm fin pin heatsinks.

That's awesome info, gonna check into those.

My very first DIY COB fixture

Right now it's under 8 lamp T5HO. For a light that's marketed as a "Grow Light" the T5 only puts out 6500 Lux.
The HLG-185 will be here Monday.

0577e48107b82774a8173c317cf0d447.jpg

Can you control this uno via wifi or how does it work? Its not like one of these weather or sunset simulators right?

You can control Arduino Uno with WiFi if you have a wifi module attached. I like to use the Wemos D1 Minis instead, because they have integrated wifi and they use the Arduino IDE so they're relatively easy to program. There's a service called Blynk that you can use to connect your Arduino/Wemos to a cloud based server, and then you use your phone to access the cloud server. You can either use their cloud servers or host your own on your own computer if you're concerned about data security and speed.

Seymore:
Here is a breakdown for the controller:
The 4 wagos are expensive at 53 cents each, The Arduino uno is a clone I got several previously @ $8 each I use them for all kind of timers. The ssr-25-da are $3 each $2 for the heat sink the wire nuts are 32 cents ea. the plastic box $8 the dual optical relay was $4 the 100k ohm pots $5.49 the 3 position switches 49 cents each (wish I bought better ones) the resisters and board I had sitting around as well as wire the three pin power sockets 50 cents each. DS3231 real time clock $4.50. So that is $49.64. I estimated $60 with all of the misc stuff I had lying around. All of these parts are sourced on EBay or Amazon. Things like pigtails and wiring scavenged from old dead stuff lying around don't count. I have boxes of stuff from previous projects. The thing I will probably never stop paying for is the cooling rack I mounted everything on. I "borrowed" it from my wife's kitchen stuff and she noticed.

This cost does not include the price of the three soldering irons I went through working on this project; two cheap ones and one good one. I still need to buy a good replacement. I should not work while being over medicated but it happens.

So yes the total is under $350.

The Arduino clone is powered via a USB cable attached to the Mean Well RT 50B 5V rail. When I want to reprogram it the entire system is disconnected from the mains and the Arduino is powered and programed via USB to my laptop. There is no Wifi and I am not logging anything.

DSC002769.JPG

My mom used to call me a "Cheapskate" and now I wear that as a badge of honor!

Be forewarned using the cheapest parts available has an inherent failure price.

Happy building!

Right now it's under 8 lamp T5HO. For a light that's marketed as a "Grow Light" the T5 only puts out 6500 Lux.
The HLG-185 will be here Monday.

0577e48107b82774a8173c317cf0d447.jpg

So you go for 3x how many watts on what size? 200W driver aye? I am confused. Thought u were on COBs before. So many new names and faces on here, so sorry. Downloaded a lx meter app too. I will put my S7 on the screen and look what i get full blast. I am at 272Watts on the 6 Clus at max power of the Meanwell rated for 250W and 30W from both veros at about 16 inches to 18 inches.

I was but the damn heatsinks scared the hell out of me. They were tiny and require fans. I just don't trust them. They get hot as hell and if a fan goes while I'm at work..... yikes.
af0663e5d234baf0ea9eb6aca7e3c617.jpg

So you go for 3x how many watts on what size? 200W driver aye? I am confused. Thought u were on COBs before. So many new names and faces on here, so sorry. Downloaded a lx meter app too. I will put my S7 on the screen and look what i get full blast. I am at 272Watts on the 6 Clus at max power of the Meanwell rated for 250W and 30W from both veros at about 16 inches to 18 inches.

Ya 3 on a 200w.
I'd love to see your Galactica results.
I bet you'll get above 80,000 Lux.

Yea i remember this picture, wouldnt wanna use these on a good hundred bucks of chips either. But i guess if you run some 1212s under 40W on them and double check your soldering on the fans they will be great.

At what distance from are you using youre app? If i put my sensor om the surface of a cheap household led that is 3 years old i get 45k lux lol.

We will see what itll do. But for now i am at worl for another 10 hours. Grum

Back
Top Bottom