Sharksbreath

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here. I've always been a fan of 420 magazine and browsed the forums to help myself learn as much as possible about growing marijuana. This is my first serious grow, I ordered 5 White Widow fem and 5 Snow White fem seeds from Nirvana. They also sent me 10 free mystery seeds. I will be starting out with the mystery seeds just to sort of get the feel for my new set up and see how well my system works. I will start both the White Widow and the Snow White later on either in this journal or possibly I'll start a new one for them. On to the set up.

Strain: mystery seeds
Indica/ Sativa/ Hybrid: mystery seeds
Percentage: Unknown
Veg or flower: veg
How long: ms #1 = 6 days, ms #2 = 3 days,
ms #3 = 1 day
Indoor or outdoor: indoor
Soil or hydro: soil
Soil mix: doing 50/50 fox farm ocean forest and happy frog, also adding about 10-20% earth worm castings to overall mix.
Size of light: 4 T5 fluorescent 6400k bulbs not air cooled (48" x 13" x 2") 216 watt/ 2.0A, thinking about getting another one for once the plants are larger. Also need to buy 3400k bulbs for flowering.
Temp: 73 F - 80 F
RH: 52-60%
PH of media: not checking ph at the moment
Any pests: nope
How often are you watering: as needed
Type/ strength of ferts: not using any yet, might get Foxfarm trio

6/11/16 6:30 PM

Sponge pot germination begins with 3 freebie seeds from nirvana. RH 50%, tent temp 77 F

Tent size 96" x 48" x 80"
Light fixture: 4 T5 fluorescent 6400k bulbs
(48" x 13" x 2") 216 watt/ 2.0A
Soil 50/50 FFOF/FFHF
10% EWC
Using 1gal, 3gal, 5gal pots

6/12/16 4:20 PM

-general thoughts-
No nutes for first few weeks, considering FF trio. I received a germination kit from nirvana that came with veg tabs and flower tabs to plant in the soil medium underneath root growth, not sure if I should use these or not.

Checked on the kids, nothing to report, sponge pots still moist. Will check back in 10-12 hrs.

6/12/16 10:00 AM

Just ordered Apollo horticulture 6" 440cfm inline duct fan w/ built in variable speed controller along with iPower air carbon filter and 25ft of ducting.

6/12/16 5:20 PM

Nothing new with seeds, reached a new high RH last night after misting the grow tent. Low RH 41%, high RH 67%. Trying to maintain around 60% RH during first 3 weeks of seedling growth.

6/13/16 5:00 AM

Was getting a bit nervous all 3 mystery seeds were duds, removed tiny peat moss cluster above seeds in sponge pots to check on each seed, 2 of the 3 have cracked open a little bit. Shouldn't be much longer until a little root pops out, and a few days later a sprout! Super excited!

6/13/16 1:00 PM

Nothing new to report.

6/14/16 1:15 PM

All 3 seeds have cracked open and sprouted a root. Excited for new growth! .

6/16/16 4:25 AM

We have life!! 1 of the 3 germinated seeds has sprouted!!

6/16/16 4:30 PM

The first seed to sprout was a bit weak looking and was coming out at an odd angle. After seeing around 12 hours of light it's looking nice and pretty and aiming for the light. Checked on other two seeds, not sure why they're lagging behind so much. They have both cracked open and have a baby root sticking out. Not sure why they're not growing as quickly as this other seed. Sponge pots are well moistened. They're too small to really water. Will be transplanting MS #1 into 1 quart seedling pot in probably 1-3 days, just need it to grow a few more roots before I transplant.

6/17/16 5:00 AM

Still only just the one sprout. Pulled sponge pot out of plastic container to check on roots, roots show signs of searching for water. Decided to do an early transplant into 1 quart plastic container just to be safe. Won't have to water so soon after each watering now. Not sure if I like these sponge pots. Will be germing seeds with paper towel clam shell method for next batch. For the transplant I mixed 50/50 of FFOF and FFHF then mixed EWC to make it about 10-20% of overall mix. Watered soil until received good amount of runoff, let soil/ container sit under light for a bit to warm it up, pushed out sponge pot from plastic container and planted it into larger container. Will check back later today to make sure the transplant went smoothly and hopefully the sprout is ok. .

6/18/16 2:00 PM

MS #1 is taking off, growing quite well. 2 and 3 are still taking their sweet time. I'll give them a few days before tossing them. Started germing 3 more mystery seeds, this time using the paper towel clam shell method. Hopefully I'll have better results this way. I also transplanted 2 and 3 into larger plastic containers, hopefully being in actual soil will help these guys take off.

6/19/16 4:10 AM

Good news, ms #2 broke ground today! No leaves quite yet but progress nonetheless.

6/20/16 3:30 AM

MS #1 & #2 are doing well. #1 is on its 2nd set of fan leaves and #2 has its first set of fan leaves coming in nicely. It has been 9 days since germ and I couldn't be happier with how well everything is going. Out of the 3 new mystery seeds I germ'd the first one has cracked open a baby root in a little over 36 hours. Went ahead and planted her in a nice new pot, trying something different with this one. Filled bottom 2 inches of pot with perlite and the rest with my 50/50 20% mix. Will be calling her MS #4 for now. I will give MS #3 a few more days before calling it quits with her, seeing how she won't sprout out of the soil.

6/22/16 4:30 AM

Been away for 2 days, came back to MS #4 looking odd. So it sprouted but the root didn't go into the soil and kind of spiraled around on top of the soil... I tried to plant her better and watered her a bit to settle her in the soil better. Hopefully she'll be ok. MS 1 & 2 look great. #1 looks a little dark though, and kind of dry looking. Possibly just needs more water, but the soil was still kind of moist. Watered a bit anyway. Not too much though, always scared of over watering. Will try to add pictures of everything tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Looking good hold on sounds good lol send some pic so we can see whats going on but I'm pulling up a seat and see where this go's :good job:

first 3 mystery seeds going into sponge pots
IMG_038141.JPG

ms #1 breaks soil 6/16/16
IMG_039247.JPG

next day
IMG_039836.JPG

transplanted into larger container so I could water less often
IMG_039940.JPG

close up of ms #1
IMG_040142.JPG

few hours later
IMG_040544.JPG

ms #1 6/18/16
IMG_041042.JPG

ms #2 6/20/16
IMG_041541.JPG

ms #1 6/20/16
IMG_041842.JPG

ms #3 after being fixed, forgot to take a picture of the odd root growth
IMG_054740.JPG

ms #2 looking perky
IMG_054839.JPG

ms #1 looking a bit under the weather
IMG_054935.JPG

6/22/16 5:20 PM

checked on the girls, ms #1 still looks a bit down. ms #2 looks great and is very vibrant. ms #3 seems a bit stunted due to the early root growth being a bit odd. Hoping for the best with all these babies. The original germ'd seed that was supposed to be ms #3 I finally scrapped today. So the first time I germ'd 3 seeds, which gave me ms #1 & #2 (3rd seed got scrapped today). Second time I germ'd 3 more seeds, which gave me ms #3, and soon to be ms #4 (just popped open today, might wait to plant until root grows a bit more 12-24 hrs). Altogether I hope to have 4-6 plants growing at one time. I'm thinking once I switch at least 1 of these plants into flower I will begin germing the white widow and snow white fem seeds.

ms #1 looking droopy still, side question: anyone know if the green moss growing on the top layer of the soil is a good or bad thing?
IMG_055038.JPG

side profile of ms #1
IMG_055141.JPG

ms #2 looking well
IMG_055249.JPG

ms #2 side profile
IMG_055335.JPG

ms #3 close up, you can kind of see the spiraled root at the base of the stem. not sure why the root is growing upwards with this one. any advice anyone?
IMG_055434.JPG

future ms #4, waiting for baby root to grow another 2mm
IMG_055536.JPG

Few questions about the set up I have so far too. Is my light close enough? or too close? It's about 4-6" from the tallest baby (ms #1)
I also need to figure out a way to direct a fan into the enclosure. My guess for ms #1 looking droopy is heat exhaustion or possibly over watering.

IMG_055639.JPG

IMG_055745.JPG

Looking good over here!

Thanks man, appreciate the love. I talked to a buddy of mine and showed him the picture of ms #1 and he thinks the droop is from overwatering my baby. Gonna let them all dry out a bit before my next watering so they'll be on the hunt for water when it does come.

Over watering is easy to do, especially in a first grow. We did it. Now we let it dry sometimes until the leaves droop, and sometimes we stick a finger in the soil 2 knuckles deep, and see how dry it is that far in. You'll get the hang of it. Your lights look a little close. You don't want them to burn the leaves. Nis says your light is at a good height. Everything is looking great here!

Over watering is easy to do, especially in a first grow. We did it. Now we let it dry sometimes until the leaves droop, and sometimes we stick a finger in the soil 2 knuckles deep, and see how dry it is that far in. You'll get the hang of it. Your lights look a little close. You don't want them to burn the leaves. Nis says your light is at a good height. Everything is looking great here!

Thank you canna appreciate the help! I love learning new things when it comes to growing. Need all the information I can get. Read a watering tutorial a little while ago that actually suggests letting your plants dry out for a few hours before watering again. Something about making them more aggressive growers by doing this.

Thank you canna appreciate the help! I love learning new things when it comes to growing. Need all the information I can get. Read a watering tutorial a little while ago that actually suggests letting your plants dry out for a few hours before watering again. Something about making them more aggressive growers by doing this.

That seems reasonable to me. If you want to do some reading, check out our perpetual garden journal. Tons of info there, and we don't mind if you ask questions there either.

little update for everyone. So i've held off watering my babies for a few days thinking I over watered ms #1 early this week. Today when I checked on the girls the soil was dry the whole way through pretty much. Crusting on the rim of pot, drain holes were dry too. Unfortunately ms #1 still looks like its dying.. not sure why anymore.. she developed quite a bit of new growth even while over watered. so its not stunted by any means. if anything it seems like its taken off compared to ms #2.

here's ms #1 from yesterday morning
IMG_055939.JPG

here's ms #2 from yesterday morning
IMG_055839.JPG

here's 2 more pictures of ms #1 from today, around 5pm EST
still looking for answers as to what the green moss is that's growing on the top soil. good/bad thing?
IMG_056937.JPG

IMG_057035.JPG

here's 2 more pictures of ms #2 from today, same time
IMG_056835.JPG

IMG_056738.JPG

here's a picture of ms #3 that I planted in soil a few days back, not sure what's going on here. she doesn't seem to want to grow? Shouldn't be taking this long to pop that shell off. Thinking it might be stuck? If so, should I gently pry it off? or should I continue to just wait patiently? Edit: just noticed at the base of the stem you can see the spiraling tap root. what is going on here.. so confused. there's no way the soil is too hard for the root to make its way through. need some expert advice here, should I cover the root/stem with some soil? should I transplant? Is this thing dead? All these things going wrong is really discouraging. On the bright side, ms #2 has yet to have any issues :D
IMG_057134.JPG

Hey buddy!:thumb:

how is it? Went through your grow journal and maybe i can help.
As i m a newbie too you can research on what im about to tell you...

for the spiral root, i think you did put the seed into your soil the wrong way. The pointy tip needs to point down! the root is coming out from there and goes straight into the soil. If it is up it has to make a turn to go back down... get it? sorry for poor english....

for your seedlings, maybe you are giving too much water. And be sure to make holes on the bottom of your pots. here is an article about watering. I thought it was a very good reading to share!

The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant

Cheers!

Hey buddy!:thumb:

how is it? Went through your grow journal and maybe i can help.
As i m a newbie too you can research on what im about to tell you...

for the spiral root, i think you did put the seed into your soil the wrong way. The pointy tip needs to point down! the root is coming out from there and goes straight into the soil. If it is up it has to make a turn to go back down... get it? sorry for poor english....

for your seedlings, maybe you are giving too much water. And be sure to make holes on the bottom of your pots. here is an article about watering. I thought it was a very good reading to share!

The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant

Cheers!

I actually made sure to put the seed pointy end/ tap root end down. Which is why I'm so confused as to what's going on. I'll give that a read. Thanks for the advice!

So you where drying out but still Looks good. How's the humidity you can see the corner of the leaves curving that a sine of low humidity if you have a water bottle kicking around a little mist here and there will help and keep bugs away.

Back
Top Bottom