Should I throw all away?

humptydumpty

420 Member
I've been growing for several years, had ups and downs like everyone as it's normal, but this time around I'm a little puzzled. I switched from soil to a custom built rdwc system, I anticipated there could be some problems and adjustments to make but im considering throwing out entirely my first run. I had some trouble in the initial stages maintaining a balance between keeping the seedlings moist but not too much, ended up having some problems related to initial stages of root rot which I thought I managed to get under control but I'm guessing I didn't succeed. Plants were fine in veg and initial flower stages but I'm 2 weeks away from hypothetical harvest and things are looking pretty bad. Each pot has an air stone, temps never got past 18C°, but these are things concerning how I developed the problems I have and that's not my concern as I know some things didn't go right the system is new and needs some adjustments. My concern is if I should just accept that this run was a failure cut the losses and start over new or if in the two weeks I have left before (the hypothetical) harvest I can salvage something if anything at all. Simply put my plants should be almost done but it looks like week 3 of flowering...attaching pics for review, eagerly awaiting opinions. Cheers
1000137845.jpg
1000137844.jpg

I've been growing for several years, had ups and downs like everyone as it's normal, but this time around I'm a little puzzled. I switched from soil to a custom built rdwc system, I anticipated there could be some problems and adjustments to make but im considering throwing out entirely my first run. I had some trouble in the initial stages maintaining a balance between keeping the seedlings moist but not too much, ended up having some problems related to initial stages of root rot which I thought I managed to get under control but I'm guessing I didn't succeed. Plants were fine in veg and initial flower stages but I'm 2 weeks away from hypothetical harvest and things are looking pretty bad. Each pot has an air stone, temps never got past 18C°, but these are things concerning how I developed the problems I have and that's not my concern as I know some things didn't go right the system is new and needs some adjustments. My concern is if I should just accept that this run was a failure cut the losses and start over new or if in the two weeks I have left before (the hypothetical) harvest I can salvage something if anything at all. Simply put my plants should be almost done but it looks like week 3 of flowering...attaching pics for review, eagerly awaiting opinions. Cheers
1000137845.jpg
1000137844.jpg
I wouldn't scrap the grow .
What nutrients and ppm were you running and what pH are you at and what is your water temps .
I run a flood and drain system controlled via a Bell Syphon so its a similar system.
Buds are looking good just your leaves are a bit trashed.
We can work out what the issues are

I know nothing about DWC growing….but from what I see, I’d let them continue. They certainly look normal. Different variables can cause a plant to progress through the flowering process at a slower rate.
I’d def let them go a few more weeks and compare the progression.
I’m growing 3 different strains right now and they’re on day 59 of 12/12. They’re all “supposed” to be 63-68 day strains. Two of the three are sticking to that schedule, but the third plant is at least 2/3 weeks behind.
As long as they’re making progress, I’d let them keep rolling.

I thank you for your positive response. I don't think that knowledge about rdwc has much to do at this point, I know the plants suffered and why, which is what concerns the growing system that's used but in my case I think we're past that. I have a decent experience in growing and faced all sorts of problems throughout the years and what experience taught me is that usually when plants have some sort of trauma during the flowering stage there isn't much hope that things will turn around. Veg you can do anything but once they enter the next phase it's like they have a set amount of time after which the plant really doesn't care if it's up to your expectations. I know that sometimes ripening time isn't what's advertised, but I also know that sometimes you can give them all the extra time you want but it's not going to move forward

I thank you for your positive response. I don't think that knowledge about rdwc has much to do at this point, I know the plants suffered and why, which is what concerns the growing system that's used but in my case I think we're past that. I have a decent experience in growing and faced all sorts of problems throughout the years and what experience taught me is that usually when plants have some sort of trauma during the flowering stage there isn't much hope that things will turn around. Veg you can do anything but once they enter the next phase it's like they have a set amount of time after which the plant really doesn't care if it's up to your expectations. I know that sometimes ripening time isn't what's advertised, but I also know that sometimes you can give them all the extra time you want but it's not going to move forward
I only ask what you use and your environmental conditions to hopefully stop it happening in the future.
Do you use CalMag at all

I wouldn't scrap the grow .
What nutrients and ppm were you running and what pH are you at and what is your water temps .
I run a flood and drain system controlled via a Bell Syphon so its a similar system.
Buds are looking good just your leaves are a bit trashed.
We can work out what the issues are
Look nutes, temps, pH, ppm is all where they should be. The problem with this grow is that I used a new system I custom built and ran into a few issues relative to root health. I kept the seedlings in the rockwool too wet, that stunted growth, I ran a long veg so they could heal up which they did pretty well but this caused the plants to grow oversize and the excessive root mass on one hand clogged the connections between one pot and the other, then I had the recirculating pump fail and kept the system sitting still for 4/5 days, which shouldn't be a problem since each pot has an airstone but as the root mass is too big it basically does nothing since they're engulfed in the roots. As a matter of fact I have some white mold growing right under the net pots (not root rot, like actual white mold which grows on vegetables) but it doesn't make sense, there's no light leaking, water is moving, temps are very low and yet...

I only ask what you use and your environmental conditions to hopefully stop it happening in the future.
Do you use CalMag at all
It depends on the water, I do not use filtered water because I live in a place where tap water is very good quality, it just shifts between winter and summer, so when it lowers o add a bit but barely any relevant amounts. I thought in the beginning it was a cal deficiency from the looks but I ended up convincing myself that my problem is root rot relative matters which look like cal deficiency

Do you use CalMag at all
Look I'm posting pictures of the roots so you get a clearer picture
(Hopefully, not granted XD) see how the bottom part is white and healthy while the top part shows signs of beginning stages of rot? I ran a hydrogen peroxide cycle today, so they're looking way better than if I showed you yesterday. This puzzles me because I'm not sure why it happens, therefore I'm not sure how to solve it but nevertheless that's not my main concern at the moment. What I'm asking is if you think I should throw everything in the tumbler and save 2/3 weeks of both time and money or let them go on

PXL_20240127_031742122.jpg

PXL_20240127_031750808.jpg

It depends on the water, I do not use filtered water because I live in a place where tap water is very good quality, it just shifts between winter and summer, so when it lowers o add a bit but barely any relevant amounts. I thought in the beginning it was a cal deficiency from the looks but I ended up convincing myself that my problem is root rot relative matters which look like cal deficiency
It looks like a calmag thing to me and in my 80ltr reservoir I put about 1/6th of a cap of bleach in it to help keep root rot at bay and try and keep below 19°c in reservoir or close to it.

It looks like a calmag thing to me and in my 80ltr reservoir I put about 1/6th of a cap of bleach in it to help keep root rot at bay and try and keep below 19°c in reservoir or close to it.
It looks like that because root rot looks like cal mag deficiency. My water comes out of the tap at 600ppm and it's mostly calcium and trace elements, I've been growing in soil for 10+ using this water and never had issues as well as I have had other successful hydro runs just with a different system

Here's the colour of some roots pulled out of my pipes mid grow not too dissimilar of a colour to yours
20231227_171544-jpg.3500044
What are you talking about, those are white as milk! Anyhow my roots look good on the bottom part because the air stone does something, not much but at least something, my main problem is the top part which has some brownish and twisting going on. Plus one plant as I said before was growing actual mold...but also my fault I took a rather healthy looking one, wait a sec I'll get another one

What are you talking about, those are white as milk! Anyhow my roots look good on the bottom part because the air stone does something, not much but at least something, my main problem is the top part which has some brownish and twisting going on. Plus one plant as I said before was growing actual mold...but also my fault I took a rather healthy looking one, wait a sec I'll get another one
Don't forget those are from the bottom 😊 that were in the pipework
Do you run any h2o2 or bleech in your system?

Back
Top Bottom