SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

QUICK UPDATE!

Just a quick update. Not much has changed since yesterday as far as the plants are concerned, but I did get a package in from Gotham Hydro today.

For anyone who missed it in my last journal, my 180w UFO LED that I was using on the flower side of my cabinet (now, where the TK is located) lost 1/2 of the lights.

Gotham had sent a replacement power supply, but, it turns out I had an older model and the original power supplies were cemented to the case. I didn't want to have to "rip" 'em out of the case and risk doing something that jeopardized the warranty, so I sent it back and told them I'd be more comfortable if THEY replaced the power supply, which they had offered to do originally, but I thought I could do it myself quicker :)rofl:).

Well, apparently I got lucky and they couldn't fix it either, but they took good care of me! :)

When I opened the box, instead of finding the original 180w tri-band UFO with the 2w chips I sent them, I found the brand new 180w 6-band LED (rectangle, not UFO) with the new 3w chips! :yahoo:

I'm definately a long-term customer with service like that!

So, most likely, I'll install the new 180w in the flower tent this weekend and it can take care of the new comers, while the 500w pumps the lumens to the girls in full bloom.

There should be a good amount of cross-coverage having both lights in there, since all the plants are basically in an area that's 2'x3' which the 180w can pretty much cover alone, and the 500w can easily cover alone! But, having both lights in there will let me get the 180w much closer to the smaller plants.

The clones are definitely to low in the collars, I have at least a 1/4 inch between the top of the collar and the first "branch" on the clone, with about an inch of cutting below the collar. I try to make sure my cuttings have about two inches of stem to work with when I put them in. It seems to be about the right amount for my setup.

Great news on the upgraded light. Have to love great customer service.

The clones are definitely to low in the collars, I have at least a 1/4 inch between the top of the collar and the first "branch" on the clone, with about an inch of cutting below the collar. I try to make sure my cuttings have about two inches of stem to work with when I put them in. It seems to be about the right amount for my setup.

Great news on the upgraded light. Have to love great customer service.

Thanks for the tip on length, Bro! I've definately taken them too short....mostly because I was in a rush, too used to rockwool, and didn't wait for the Bonsai's to grow out enough.

Do you think they'll recover being they have good roots growing and still have green on the leaves, so they can photosynthesize? I just don't know if there are any viable growth shoots.

PIC UPDATE

First, a quick update on the Bonsai Mom's in training...

Right now, I'd have to say the Lucy looks the best of all of them. She's spread out nicely and soon will have six nice tops:

DSCN12413.JPG

Here's her profile shot:

DSCN12422.JPG

The Power Skunk isn't looking too bad. She's working on her 8th top and has two more tops forming from a couple of the sides, so she could wind up with 10 tops, but she's not as spread out so is smaller than I would prefer. I'm hoping as she grows out, she'll spread out a little:

DSCN12462.JPG

And, here's the Power Skunk's profile:

DSCN12452.JPG

And, the PE that's been getting agressive LST is also looking pretty good. She is forming a nice, wide canopy with numerous tops. I have also topped her in two spots. Here's the canopy shot:

DSCN12434.JPG

And here's her profilw which, I think, kind of looks like one of those old trees you'd see in a movie or painting even though she's only a few inches tall:

DSCN1244.JPG

I thought it would be a good time to take a shot of what's the flower tent looks like right now:

DSCN12472.JPG

Here's a closer look at all the plants:

DSCN12494.JPG

The original seven, which are now at 19 days of 12/12:

DSCN12502.JPG

Here's the five I've added this week, which includes the Power Skunk I just added today (lower right):

DSCN12514.JPG

Here's a shot of the Lucy in her first week of 12/12:

DSCN12554.JPG

Here's the Power Skunk that got added with the original seven. She's now the tallest in the tent by a couple of inches:

DSCN12541.JPG

Finally, here's a few shots of some of the PE colas:

DSCN12563.JPG

DSCN12521.JPG

DSCN12532.JPG

All the PE's are still just under a foot tall. I would have an easier time blaming the pheno IF the Power Skunk wasn't only a couple of inches taller. I expected these plants to be at around 16" right now, so they're ALL smaller than planned. This tells me that I most likely put them into flower a little too early and should have let them grown another inch or two first.

This, I expect, will seriously effect my yield on the first 12 plants. Hopefully, what they lack in height, they'll make up for in weight!

So, for the next 12 plants, I'm gonna try letting them get a little bigger before I put them into flower.

I'm also getting anxious to do the first defoliation this weekend. Those PE's have some HUGE fan leaves and it will be good to get some more light to all those buds.

Happy Harvests!

K

See I initially planned to go straight to 12/12 with rooted clones but seeing these journals showing the end product after the stretch makes me think that a week of veg will so me some good. I have a decent amount of vertical space considering that I will be using 1gal instead of the 5gal pots that I am using now that gives me about five extra inches.

Glad to have yours and many other journals available to help me make future decisions. :tokin::thanks:

Looking good Mr Krip! Your PE looks good. Does yours have trichomes on the stem where it's connected to the bud? I noticed for this round in 2L coco coir hempy and using BPN they exhibit this trait, and the bud overall is more frosty along with lines going towards the fan leaves. The only thing I hope for is density that I did not get from previous PE harvest. Your plants staying short and compact is good. With LED being close they will not stretch much at the start of bloom. You're right, by vegging them a few days or a week before bloom will definitely increase yield. Mine stretch way too much could of use the energy and nute for more bud development, lol. How often do you feed your plants now and what PPM are they getting at this stage?

What camera do you use? I noticed white balance LED is tricky with both red & blue spectrum on. How do you white balance for LED? The WB images is a bit desaturated in colors. Platinum coated like black and white, which is cool, is this what you're after or more natural lush green?

See I initially planned to go straight to 12/12 with rooted clones but seeing these journals showing the end product after the stretch makes me think that a week of veg will so me some good. I have a decent amount of vertical space considering that I will be using 1gal instead of the 5gal pots that I am using now that gives me about five extra inches.

Glad to have yours and many other journals available to help me make future decisions. :tokin::thanks:

Glad we could help! I think for the next 12, I'm gonna try to let the plants get to 6" before I put them in flower and see what happens from there.

Looking good Mr Krip! Your PE looks good. Does yours have trichomes on the stem where it's connected to the bud? I noticed for this round in 2L coco coir hempy and using BPN they exhibit this trait, and the bud overall is more frosty along with lines going towards the fan leaves. The only thing I hope for is density that I did not get from previous PE harvest. Your plants staying short and compact is good. With LED being close they will not stretch much at the start of bloom. You're right, by vegging them a few days or a week before bloom will definitely increase yield. Mine stretch way too much could of use the energy and nute for more bud development, lol. How often do you feed your plants now and what PPM are they getting at this stage?

What camera do you use? I noticed white balance LED is tricky with both red & blue spectrum on. How do you white balance for LED? The WB images is a bit desaturated in colors. Platinum coated like black and white, which is cool, is this what you're after or more natural lush green?

Thanks, Twelve! The current SOG girls are just starting to show some trichomes, but, based on the past two PE grows, I can pretty safely say this pheno has trichs EVERYWHERE! :yummy:

I've been feeding with every watering, which is about every two days. I'll get you the PPM's tomorrow when I mix a fresh batch of nutes, but it's basically the same nute regime I had worked out with AN including using Big Bud, Bud Candy & Overdrive, only I've been going a little heavier on the Big Bud and Bud Candy, knowing I have some "conservative" doses that should NOT burn the plants.

Tomorrow's feeding will have something like 2.8ml/gallon of micro/grow/bloom, plus I'll add 3ml/gallon each of Big Bud and Bud Candy, and about 1ml/gallon of DM Zone. The Overdrive gets added in the last two weeks of flower at the same time the Big Bud gets discontinued. I'll also add about 1ml of silica and, every couple/few feedings, I put in about 1/2ml of Cal-Mag just to be "safe" (I'm using tap water, so don't really need it). I also do weekly foliar feedings with SnowStorm Ultra.

As far as the photos, I'm definately open to ANY/ALL tips you can provide to improve the quality and get a more natural color with the white balance under the LED.

I'm using a Nikon CoolPix L100. Neither of my two BlackStar LED's are switchable, so I can't change the spectrum.

The way I white balance the camera is to put a piece of plain white computer printer paper in the tent under the LED's and adjust to that (according to manufacturer's instructions).

Thanks again for the input and any suggestions on the pics! :thanks:

PIC UPDATE - FIRST DEFOLIATION

It's now been 21 days of 12/12 for the first seven girls in flower and was time for the first defoliation. All the PE's are around 11", so, as I've mentioned in a couple of previous posts, I'm gonna veg the next batch a little longer and let them get to about 6" before I put them in flower.

Here's a canopy shot of the first seven before the defoliation:

DSCN12573.JPG

And here's a side shot before the defoliation:

DSCN12582.JPG

Here's the canopy AFTER the defoliation:

DSCN12642.JPG

And, here's a side shot after defoliation:

DSCN12631.JPG

Here's one of the PE's before:

DSCN12594.JPG

PE top before:

DSCN12604.JPG

PE after (this may be a different plant, but the same style haircut!):

DSCN12612.JPG

And, here's the Power Skunk after her defoliation:

DSCN12622.JPG

Since even the Power Skunk, which is the tallest of the first seven, is only 13" tall or so, I decided to leave some of the lower branches with buds (the smaller & non-productive looking ones did get trimmed!). Because the side buds are only a few inches below the top cola, with the plants so short, I figure they'll get plenty of light and I'll need the extra yield.

Happy Harvests!

K

Looks good Mr K. When I did SOG, the more indica the plant, the longer the veg--up to 2 weeks. The Haze and Thai only got a few days to get roots used to the 1 gal pots.

Those naked ladies are doing it for me !

Nice work mr krip everything seems to be moving along nicely :bravo:

:love: this pic all them fans stretching for the LED's beautifull sight
DSCN12472.JPG

Cant wait to see them defoliated girls fatten up guna be some dense ass nugs!

:peace:

Thanks, Guys! I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone, so far, except for the plant height. But, it does look like they'll be some good, thick buds, so I'm anxious to see how much those first dozen plants average in yield.

Looks good Mr K. When I did SOG, the more indica the plant, the longer the veg--up to 2 weeks. The Haze and Thai only got a few days to get roots used to the 1 gal pots.

Thanks, OG! I asked 420fied specifically a couple of times on how long he vegged, but he'll tell you he doesn't veg at all. He goes from cloner straight to 12/12.

But, I'm sure there's some vertical growth going on in the cloner and not just root development, or, he just cuts much larger clones. If I remember, his clones are about 4"-6" when he cuts them. I've definately taken clones much smaller than that working with the underdeveloped Bonsai and rushing to get a full tent.

Either way, it's clear I need them to be closer to that 6" mark when I put them in.

QUICK UPDATE - NO PICS

I've been somewhat stressing on my clone situation, although, I imagine all will be fine.

You all remember a couple of weeks ago, or so, in the morning I commented that the secret to success was consitancy and as long as I could take my 6 successful clones every two weeks, I'd be fine. Then, by the same night, I had decided to basically try to fill the tent and took about 18 clones in one shot.

Well, I probably should have listened to my first instinct and just gone slow and steady.

Because I had those clones so low in the neoprene collars (due to them being so short and having so little stem to work with) most of the center growing shoots have wilted.

But, at this point, virtually all of them have some good roots going, minus two I've tossed along the way. So, most of them are still in the TK but I do have six in mini hempys and hoping I get at least six (if not all twelve) good plants to go in the flower tent in another couple of weeks.

Just because I was concerned, I decided to add to flower the two-cola PE clone I was going to either toss or use for more cuttings, if needed. Depending on how many of these "hurting" clones actually start growing, there may be plenty of room for her extra cola and it will be fun to see how it does going right into flower! :)

I also moved the Lucy mom from a 12 oz. to a 16 oz. hempy, so she can continue her growth. She's really looking nice and wasn't quite rootbound, but her cup was definately full.

I'm really hoping these clones all take. One of the main reasons I "rushed" it was that I wanted to get the tent full ASAP and give a couple of months for the Bonsai's to grow out. If they don't make it, my schedule really gets screwed up, but it's nothing we can't adjust to, if necessary.

I'll post some pics later.

Happy Harvests!

K

QUICK UPDATE - NO PICS

I've been somewhat stressing on my clone situation, although, I imagine all will be fine.

You all remember a couple of weeks ago, or so, in the morning I commented that the secret to success was consitancy and as long as I could take my 6 successful clones every two weeks, I'd be fine. Then, by the same night, I had decided to basically try to fill the tent and took about 18 clones in one shot.

Well, I probably should have listened to my first instinct and just gone slow and steady.

Because I had those clones so low in the neoprene collars (due to them being so short and having so little stem to work with) most of the center growing shoots have wilted.

But, at this point, virtually all of them have some good roots going, minus two I've tossed along the way. So, most of them are still in the TK but I do have six in mini hempys and hoping I get at least six (if not all twelve) good plants to go in the flower tent in another couple of weeks.

Just because I was concerned, I decided to add to flower the two-cola PE clone I was going to either toss or use for more cuttings, if needed. Depending on how many of these "hurting" clones actually start growing, there may be plenty of room for her extra cola and it will be fun to see how it does going right into flower! :)

I also moved the Lucy mom from a 12 oz. to a 16 oz. hempy, so she can continue her growth. She's really looking nice and wasn't quite rootbound, but her cup was definately full.

I'm really hoping these clones all take. One of the main reasons I "rushed" it was that I wanted to get the tent full ASAP and give a couple of months for the Bonsai's to grow out. If they don't make it, my schedule really gets screwed up, but it's nothing we can't adjust to, if necessary.

I'll post some pics later.

Happy Harvests!

K

Hi Mr. Krip ! :cheer:

I liked this post. Not often I get to hear Mr. Krip think. It sure helps sometimes to talk things over with your self. What ever you decide, it will be good. :thumb:

I remember reading a converation between Fied and Xare where Xare said that most strains triple in size when using this method. So a 6" will finish around 18" etc... That's why they take their clones big and let them root very well before transplanting.(Xare was the inspiration for Fieds grow) Your milage may vary with some strains though.

Yup, I've read Xare's journals, too. I think I just need to let them get a little bigger.

Hi Mr. Krip ! :cheer:

I liked this post. Not often I get to hear Mr. Krip think. It sure helps sometimes to talk things over with your self. What ever you decide, it will be good. :thumb:

What can I say, Brother? It's not that often that you'll find me thinking! :)
:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom