Spicy White Devil CFL Grow

No hermies please, thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

I think I will keep her growing for a couple more days, while reading more on LST and HST. So you would advise to bend the main stalk, tying it down to the pot so new branches emerge from the main stem? I figued out that height will most likely become an issue, if she keeps up the quick grow rate and I veg her for a couple more weeks. Taking clones should be a HST per se and would promote further branching, so she gets a bit bushier.

As soon as OldMedMen gives me his approval I will top the topps again :)

Can I do the lolipop thing without a SCROG? I like the lolipop design, and I think this would fit great in my growroom, as the lower branches won't get so much light as my grow space is small and I will have two plants in it, both shading the others lower sprouts.

yes u can do a lolipop method but i would wait till u hit flowerin then u can see what is useful and whats not then trim as need to promote hormones to the other bud sites
also lst is to make it more bushy and lest vertical but u said that u have issue with hight just tho u could used the technique if u bend the main stalk, tying it down to the pot so new branches emerge yes from the main stem. when tying the main stalk it induces hormones to the rest of the plants making more bud sites!=more bud in the long run!!

Hi, thanks for the info mate, my plants are special kush, big bud#2, and nothern lights cross big bud fem, and a g13 poisen dwarf auto if it lives, im also starting some seeds in seperate grow room to do 2 week veg and also 12-12 from seed just to compare the difference in growth and see if 2 weeks veg makes any difference been as these plants have to reach a certain age before switching to flower.

anyway about the lst training, what i have done is buy a pack of 12inch or 30cm pipe cleaners off amazon, cost next to nothing, then using these and poking holes in rim of pot you can pull any fan leaves out the way to stop them blocking light, i only cut off any leaves that are totally blocking or not getting any light at all, but i only take 1 or 2 off not loads, i also use the pipe cleaners to pull the lower branches in different directions so its always in the light, i also topped mine and i have now got 2 main tops instead of one, these have also been tied down and trained outwards to bush the plant up and keep the nodes growing up along all these branches.

what im going to do when i come to switch to flower, is have lights above the plants but to get to the growth below the cannopy ill be hanging lights all around the plants, ill probably have either a load of 30watt above the plant or might get a couple of 100 watts actual, then ill hang several 23 watt 2700k bulbs around the plants to ensure i get the most light in, i think my growth issue is on its way to been solved, i have not raised the lights but since mixing the lights 50-50 with 6500k and 2700k cfls i have noticed loads of new growth and the plants have really grown loads over night, i am also please with the gas lantern routine and i must admit i didnt notice much difference the last few days but when i had a look today my plants had filled out and bushed up loads, i was shocked at the difference, i cant say for sure the upwards growth is back yet but ill find out over a couple of days, but it does seem the 6500k bulbs in their own restrict the growth slightly, or it might of been something else all together, who knows, ill find out soon anyway,

great journal so far,

geturgrowon said:
yes u can do a lolipop method but i would wait till u hit flowerin then u can see what is useful and whats not then trim as need to promote hormones to the other bud sites
also lst is to make it more bushy and lest vertical but u said that u have issue with hight just tho u could used the technique if u bend the main stalk, tying it down to the pot so new branches emerge yes from the main stem. when tying the main stalk it induces hormones to the rest of the plants making more bud sites!=more bud in the long run!!

This is good! I will wait a few more weeks before I start thinking about the lollipopping. Makes sense to wait until her actuals phenotype came to light. While waiting, I will check out some LST tools I might apply. Thanks for your help Geturgrowon!

donpaul.p said:
Hi, thanks for the info mate, my plants are special kush, big bud#2, and nothern lights cross big bud fem, and a g13 poisen dwarf auto if it lives, im also starting some seeds in seperate grow room to do 2 week veg and also 12-12 from seed just to compare the difference in growth and see if 2 weeks veg makes any difference been as these plants have to reach a certain age before switching to flower.

anyway about the lst training, what i have done is buy a pack of 12inch or 30cm pipe cleaners off amazon, cost next to nothing, then using these and poking holes in rim of pot you can pull any fan leaves out the way to stop them blocking light, i only cut off any leaves that are totally blocking or not getting any light at all, but i only take 1 or 2 off not loads, i also use the pipe cleaners to pull the lower branches in different directions so its always in the light, i also topped mine and i have now got 2 main tops instead of one, these have also been tied down and trained outwards to bush the plant up and keep the nodes growing up along all these branches.

what im going to do when i come to switch to flower, is have lights above the plants but to get to the growth below the cannopy ill be hanging lights all around the plants, ill probably have either a load of 30watt above the plant or might get a couple of 100 watts actual, then ill hang several 23 watt 2700k bulbs around the plants to ensure i get the most light in, i think my growth issue is on its way to been solved, i have not raised the lights but since mixing the lights 50-50 with 6500k and 2700k cfls i have noticed loads of new growth and the plants have really grown loads over night, i am also please with the gas lantern routine and i must admit i didnt notice much difference the last few days but when i had a look today my plants had filled out and bushed up loads, i was shocked at the difference, i cant say for sure the upwards growth is back yet but ill find out over a couple of days, but it does seem the 6500k bulbs in their own restrict the growth slightly, or it might of been something else all together, who knows, ill find out soon anyway,

great journal so far,

Hi Don,

Congrats on the new growth! It might have been due to the 2700K as well. I checked out your journal, good job! But I did just browse it yet, since it's rather long :) I need to look up those strains, since I'm not familiar with them. Another question that came to my mind is what temperature you have in your grow space? Mine is prety hot, which is an issue that I need to work on, but to some degree warmth promotes growth so that might be another explanation the SWD did so good. But on the other hand the Caramelo is growing slower, which would speak for SWD's genetics again. There are just too many factors to take into account :) I hope I will be able to identify and controll those soon ... heat is my 1. Issue atm. I'm going to buy a new vent as soon funds are sufficient :)
Thanks for the tip on the pipe cleaners, those should be prety gentle to the stalks. I know that arts and crafts stores carry them, so I will get some of those.

Thanks for all you helps so far!!!

zip ties are ok but you need to cut them off, pipe cleaners can be used over and over again and you can move them and re use them as many times as you like, just check them once a week to make sure their are no signs of rust, ive had no problems with mine and been as their very flexible and can be bent in any direction you like, i got the tip off another grower on here and used them ever since, was using string but you have to keep cutting it off to move it about so i got pipe cleaners off amazon for a couple of quid, the longer the better i have found, i got the 30cm ones,

as for my temps, i was suffering with cold temps it was getting quite cold when the lights where off, but what i didnt consider was when the lights was on, and the fan running the temp gauge showed temp as ok around 70 to 75f but then when i took the temp inline of the fan i found out the fan was taking the temp down to about 50f so way to cold, i turned the fan off till the plants are bigger, but now ive put more lights in ive got the fan running again and temps are looking good so far,
my strains are indica based, special kush and big bud are indica from the looks of it, the nl cross bb, loooks sative dominant by its leaves, i have noticed loads of growth since switching to gas lantern routine though, ill leave it as it is for a few days and see how the growth is affected, but so far so good, plants are getting on 6 weeks old and still not showing signs of sex yet, but i did have the lights on 24 hours a day so it takes longer to show so hoping now that they will show sex a bit sooner so i can remove any males,

Thanks for your good tips guys!

Don, it might also have been the temp then. I'm in the 70s range when the light are out, but even higher when on. Guess we both need to work on temps :)

Ok new problem, and this is rather urgent:

I will have unexpected visitors in my appartment tomorrow. The plants need to move into a cupboard, without lightsource. So they will be without light approx. 4 hours, though it is their light cycle.
Question: Shall I leave the light on over night, so they will have 24hours of light, before putting them in the dark?
Otherwise the plants would have 6 hours darkness, followed by 6 hours of light, followed by 4 hours of darkness. That would spike flowering hormone too much, right?

Otherwiese I would give them 24 h light, 4 hours darkness followed by 24 hours light the next day and then go over to 18/6 again from Friday on ... ?

Or shall I stay at 24/7 light then? I really don't want to stress them more then necessary

Thanks dudes!

+ I was going to bend her over today as she is getting big. Better wait a couple days due to the interrupted light cycle issue, right? (time is not an issue, I would veg her for another month if necesarry ... )

Ok new problem, and this is rather urgent:

I will have unexpected visitors in my appartment tomorrow. The plants need to move into a cupboard, without lightsource. So they will be without light approx. 4 hours, though it is their light cycle.
Question: Shall I leave the light on over night, so they will have 24hours of light, before putting them in the dark?
Otherwise the plants would have 6 hours darkness, followed by 6 hours of light, followed by 4 hours of darkness. That would spike flowering hormone too much, right?

Otherwiese I would give them 24 h light, 4 hours darkness followed by 24 hours light the next day and then go over to 18/6 again from Friday on ... ?

Or shall I stay at 24/7 light then? I really don't want to stress them more then necessary

Thanks dudes!

Is there any way you could put any size bulb in the cabinet? Even a small one..light is light at this stage. Even a flash light with new batteries.

This would be my choice other wise.

None are real good,,,but that seems the best. My 2 cents....good luck. :Namaste:

Hey OMM,

Good to have people to rely on (at this time of the day :) )! Thanks for your help!
Hmm I will check that I can get anything that alike, but any light would catch suspicion if I can not cover it 100% somehow.

Ok I will take 2. as plan B if I can not get a proper light.

Hope I can manage this somehow else ...

I have had a lot of experience working with changing light patterns, with power outages, with light leaks and other issues. 4 hours in the dark is not going to hurt her at all as long as you give her over 12 hours of light directly after, in my opinion just run her 24/0 for a couple days just to be sure, then back to 18/6. But honestly I wouldn't worry.

Hi Thawk,

Thanks for easing my mind :)

I will go then like also approved by OMM, today 24h light, tomorrow 4h darkness followed by 24h just to make sure. Thursday/Friday will be the usual pattern again with 18/6.
Doesn't sound too havoc right?

Thanks!!!!

Hi everyone!

It appears she handled the stress pretty good, her leaves were dropping a bit more then usually but that could have been due to the tiny spot she had to hide in.

And again I have a next question I could not find an answer online yet: Is it ok to rearange the order of branches - meaning pulling covered new branches above large old fan leaves? It should be better than trimming the fan leaves, right?
She has some nice new branches growing below the 4-6 big fan leaves. Due to being in the shade 24/7 they are realy light in color, dropping down and wrinkling :(
After rearanging the branches, both receive light; the new branches 100% and the fan leaves being covered like 70%.

Will the new branches grow weak stalks as they are being supported by the stronger fan leaves?

I'm going to use the new branches (4-6) for clones and belive they should be healthy & filled with auxins before cutting.

Cool?

Thank you!!!

Hi everyone!

It appears she handled the stress pretty good, her leaves were dropping a bit more then usually but that could have been due to the tiny spot she had to hide in.

And again I have a next question I could not find an answer online yet: Is it ok to rearange the order of branches - meaning pulling covered new branches above large old fan leaves? It should be better than trimming the fan leaves, right?
She has some nice new branches growing below the 4-6 big fan leaves. Due to being in the shade 24/7 they are realy light in color, dropping down and wrinkling :(
After rearanging the branches, both receive light; the new branches 100% and the fan leaves being covered like 70%.

Will the new branches grow weak stalks as they are being supported by the stronger fan leaves?

I'm going to use the new branches (4-6) for clones and belive they should be healthy & filled with auxins before cutting.

Cool?

Thank you!!!

Hi My Friend Sound like things are doing fine,

I want to make this clear...so far I don't clone, However I do kind of follow 12/12 around (I didn't spell his name out because that is his Bat Signal that some one needs his help.) He is a Master Grower, that I have learned much from and still do.
In a conversation of him helping someone about taking clones, he is totally against taking cuttings of low branches......they are new and are not ready.
Instead he recommends taking good healthy cutting from the top of the plant.
Makes sense to me.
If you would like to hear his opinion, just type his name in your journal and say "clones", he will be here soon as he can. Why not get help from the best?

Sorry if I am being too nosy! OMM.:Namaste:

Healthy cutting = healthy clone, pretty basic. But it doesn't mean a weak cutting won't still turn into a nice strong lady, just helps your chances. As far as moving branches I would say that's no problem, but if there is a leaf that's really in the way, pull it.

Hi My Friend Sound like things are doing fine,

I want to make this clear...so far I don't clone, However I do kind of follow 12/12 around (I didn't spell his name out because that is his Bat Signal that some one needs his help.) He is a Master Grower, that I have learned much from and still do.
In a conversation of him helping someone about taking clones, he is totally against taking cuttings of low branches......they are new and are not ready.
Instead he recommends taking good healthy cutting from the top of the plant.
Makes sense to me.
If you would like to hear his opinion, just type his name in your journal and say "clones", he will be here soon as he can. Why not get help from the best?

Sorry if I am being too nosy! OMM.:Namaste:

Hi OMM

Thanks for your help !!!

Hah I know who you are refering to :laugh:

Twelve12 would you mind joining me at my journal? It's about taking clones from bottom branches] :) ?

OMM

I understand this points, but those need to be taken into account as well:

a) I want to thin out the bottom anyways, so that would be a good opportunity. It would reallocate resources needed for the upper branches I think. Which is important, since CFL's have a poor depth penetration afaik. That's why I'm thinking about somthing like a lolipop or Scrog trim for my lady.
(keep in mind that the new branches are covered by the fan leaves already)

b) with the same argument, that those were new branches and not ready for becoming close, one coould argue, that those are young and full of vigor (auxins) and will root quicker (?)

c) the bottom branches are there at the moment, while she does not seem to have branches suitable for cloning in the top regions yet.

On the other hand I do not want to have weak clones for sure ...

Did anyone here do a comparison between lower and upper branches as clones? Hopefully Twelve12 can chime in and shed some light on the clone issue :)

Thanks for your always helpful thoughts and suggestions OMM!

Back
Top Bottom