Sprouting root?

Buddskii

Hey All!
Never had this happen to me where it looks like the root has sprouted?
Planted the seed 2 days ago.
Looks like it came up and curling back down.
Anyone run into this issue?
Do I toss it? Transplant it?
Help is appreciated!

20230419_201423.jpg

20230419_201352.jpg

I figure that the little yellow spot that is showing in a couple of the first photos is one of the cotyledons showing. It is yellow since it was underground and not getting light.

By the looks of it the root has started to react to the gravity and is heading down but with some quick planning it should be easy to replant it so the root is back below the soil and the cotyledons are above. Feel confident and it will be easier to do than it seems.

Probably a 75 to 90% chance of success as long as nothing gets broken or smashed.

Anyone run into this issue?
I have seen it often enough when planting vegetable and flower seeds in the garden. Especially so after planting quick sprouting and fast growing types of plants.

Update:
Sprouted up and growing!
Got a stem and head forming.
A bit shorter than the other ones but is looking promising.
Think I might have flipped it and put it back in a little too deep. 🤔

20230420_143756.jpg
Looks great, burying the stem deep is no problem at this point, the cells in the stem really haven't differentiated into root or stem cells, burying the cell will prompt the cells to turn into roots.

Looks great, burying the stem deep is no problem at this point, the cells in the stem really haven't differentiated into root or stem cells, burying the cell will prompt the cells to turn into roots.
Yes, but even after it grows anf the stem hardens, you can bury the stem and, just like tomatoes, new roots will grow along the buried part of the stem.

The regroup looks successful. Just try not to stress it too much in the next couple of days.

Next time pay close attention to the seed orientation when you plant it. I like to place the seed on its side as the embryo will sense gravity and send the roots and leaves each in the correct direction.

If you plant it shallowly and upside down, you can end up with the results you got. Great job on the save! Grow on!

Yes, but even after it grows anf the stem hardens, you can bury the stem and, just like tomatoes, new roots will grow along the buried part of the stem.
Quite true, but at this point, before the stem hardens, the roots are produced much more quickly and completely. Often when a hardened stem is buried it gets little rootlike bumps/nubs, but they don't end up adding much to the plant.

I just had this happen to two of my seeds, and I had planted them with the root down. I flipped them back over and one seems to have started to grow normally, while the second one grew the root upwards again. I've just let it be and now the tip of the root is turning green. I'll leave be and see what happens, but I don't have high hopes for it...

Back
Top Bottom