"The most abundant terpenes in cannabis are myrcene, pinene, limonene, linalool, eucalyptol and caryophyllene, with the variation between them dictating a strain’s distinctive smell. Steephill Labs in California have even gone as far as suggesting that the difference between Cannabis Sativa and Indica is down to its terpene content saying, “if a sample has over 0.5% myrcene, it will have indica, or ‘couch-lock’ effects. If a sample has less than 0.5%, it will have the soaring sativa effect.”

I believe that was the stat VerdantSpires was referring to. I really don't get why terpenes are lost. The standard decarb temps are below their melting point. They must degrade before they "melt".

They're volitile because they weigh next to nothing, so they float away on the smallest breeze. It's not that they degrade, to my understanding, as much as they evaporate.

Can rosin and oil be made from fresh chop? Or MUST it be dried?

I'd say that's a big "No" because with fresh buds you also have water bound up in the cells. When pressing for rosin you don't want any water, which is why they use dry buds.

Can rosin and oil be made from fresh chop? Or MUST it be dried?

Morning gtrmike. I left off the rest of the answer. :oops:

As Canyon pointed out, you can indeed make a potent infused oil with fresh buds, and we have an entire thread dedicated to perfecting a technique of doing so that PsyCro developed a few years back. We highly recommend this amazing oil for its potency, which we believe comes from retaining more terpenes and flavonoids.

Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

It's more labor-intensive, but well worth the effort.

I have not been able to find a source for food grade Myrcene essential oil. Please share if you know of one.

Oldbear, I haven't purchased terpenes, but two alluring web sites advertising food-grade terpene isolates are buy-terpenes.com and kleanterpenes.com

Mercene is the terpene. Instead of buying the terpene isolate, you could source the food grade essential oil of a plant which is rich in myrcene, and use that.

They're volitile because they weigh next to nothing, so they float away on the smallest breeze. It's not that they degrade, to my understanding, as much as they evaporate.

Now that's what I don't get. We are nowhere near the vapor points of the terpenes. Seems like it would have to be more about degradation. Like fresh basil; it works way better if you don't put it in the marinara until the very end.

Speaking of degradation...is it possible that longer brew times help oil to taste better? I only say that because when I used a 6 hr extraction, the oil tasted better. I have shortened it now because I don't think it helps...but we are about to find out I suppose.

Speaking of degradation...is it possible that longer brew times help oil to taste better? I only say that because when I used a 6 hr extraction, the oil tasted better. I have shortened it now because I don't think it helps...but we are about to find out I suppose.

That would be hard to say in my case. All of my oils have been fragrant and tasty, regardless of cook time, but slow cooking is a method chosen for the deep flavors you can develop, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Now that's what I don't get. We are nowhere near the vapor points of the terpenes. Seems like it would have to be more about degradation. Like fresh basil; it works way better if you don't put it in the marinara until the very end.

IMO, that makes infused oils all the more attractive. The terpenes must bond to the oils, and for some reason don't degrade at the same pace. This is why I find the fresh harvest oil so enticing. Decarbing after the infusion appears to keep more terpenes intact.

Morning gtrmike. I left off the rest of the answer. :oops:

As Canyon pointed out, you can indeed make a potent infused oil with fresh buds, and we have an entire thread dedicated to perfecting a technique of doing so that PsyCro developed a few years back. We highly recommend this amazing oil for its potency, which we believe comes from retaining more terpenes and flavonoids.

Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

It's more labor-intensive, but well worth the effort.

Thanks for the response sue. And the link. Can I assume the info/process is the same for rosin?

Thanks for the response sue. And the link. Can I assume the info/process is the same for rosin?

It's pretty straightforward Mike. It requires you to hover over the pot, although we find we get mesmerized by the bubbling action and can't walk away anyhow. :laughtwo:

The resulting oil will impress the hell out of you, to be sure.

VerdantSpires, I love the way your mind works. Obviously something we don't yet understand is going on. This is a repost of Neiko's test results showing the effects of decarboxylation on the terpenes.

Wow! The extent of the loss of terpenes in that decarb is almost unbelievable.

All the same, I do wonder: were the terpenes to not be driven off, would people complain that the oil was too sappy, to piney, and that it messed with their digestion. Time will tell. So many of the terpenes have valuable properties, that it seems absurd to use a heat treatment that drives them off. Almost all are denoted as anti-cancer.

Thank you for posting that lab analysis, SweetSue.

Sue, I'm trying to find the "36 hour oil", "low and slow" method that you've posted on. I have the "pain cream" recipe, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the low/slow oil method.

Is there any reason why the pain cream method wouldn't work for making a Reg. infused oil? I've tried the FHO recipe and it's fine, other than spending the time hovering over the pot - pun intended!

With the 36 hour oil I can keep busy doing other things and only need to attend to the oil every hour or so.

I thought maybe this would be in your Basic Links etc. but can't find it.

My apologies if this is staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it!

Sue, I'm trying to find the "36 hour oil", "low and slow" method that you've posted on. I have the "pain cream" recipe, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the low/slow oil method.

Is there any reason why the pain cream method wouldn't work for making a Reg. infused oil? I've tried the FHO recipe and it's fine, other than spending the time hovering over the pot - pun intended!

With the 36 hour oil I can keep busy doing other things and only need to attend to the oil every hour or so.

I used the 36hr on my last low n slow dried oil I made

It worked very well, cept when I forgot about it for a few hrs...lol

The 36-hour oil is the same as the pain cream recipe Mike. That's where I learned to do it this way, and it's my favorite way of making an infused oil for any application. Lowest setting in the oven.

If you use buds that have been dried low and slo you may come up with an oil comparable to the FHO without the hovering.

I never mind answering questions. You should have figured that out by now Mike. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom