Your time is precious sue. Thank you. I appreciate it.

I have an enviable amount of free time to pursue these passions Mike. Glad to help. :hug:

So I just Pulled the trigger today and order a THC/CBD test kit

It seems to be, for the $$$ , a great option to test the THC and CBD in oils and Flowers, and much cheaper than $40 a shot at test companies

THC Test Kits | THC Test Kit Refills | THC Test Kit Supplies | Cannalytics Supply

1661138410524.png

Its shows Like the above Pic, and the size of the SPOT depics the % of THC or CBD

They say it takes a bit of learning, but I decided to get the Better Kit that has the more professional tools in It

I want to test my Flowers, and, the Oils.

FHO vs Low n slo dried Oil, Vs plain old 36hr Oil

Company is in CO, so I should, I assume, see it in a few days

Excited to start this new phase of Fun and experimenting

Let the Genetic Testing Begin:thumb:

Now that's what I don't get. We are nowhere near the vapor points of the terpenes. Seems like it would have to be more about degradation. Like fresh basil; it works way better if you don't put it in the marinara until the very end.

IMO, that makes infused oils all the more attractive. The terpenes must bond to the oils, and for some reason don't degrade at the same pace. This is why I find the fresh harvest oil so enticing. Decarbing after the infusion appears to keep more terpenes intact.

Great thinking! Here's a little more chemistry. A liquid can turn to gas thru vaporization (boiling) or evaporation.

Vaporization point is the boiling point of liquid, the maximum temp it can reach before turning to gas. The molecules have absorbed all the heat energy they can hold as a liquid. At that point additional heat energy is converted to "change of state" energy until molecule changes into gas.

Evaporation occurs at any temp including freezing temps. The molecule gets its change of state energy from kinetic energy of molecules colliding near the surface. One molecule bumps another into the air. If it gains enough energy (and the air is not already saturated) then it will stay in air as a gas.

The warmer the liquid the less kinetic energy is required and the more kinetic energy molecules have in collisions. Thus evaporation rate increases as it heats up. Terpenes require very little change of state energy which is why they evaporate so quickly at relatively low temps well below vapor point. Monoterpenes are so volatile they evaporate while still on plant, creating that smell we love.

One take away from this info is using the saturation point of air to limit terpene evaporation. Using a sealed container like canning jar will contain terpenes causing air to reach saturation point and terpenes will start falling back into liquid. (Just make sure jar lid is loose enough to let CO2 from decarb escape or it will explode.) Increasing pressure with pressure cooker lowers saturation point of air and also returns more terpenes to liquid.

We're going to lose terpenes no matter how we process. Advantage of FHO is that we start with more terpenes and so end up with more terpenes, which we can hang on to by storing in air-tight container with minimal air space.

Another factor we haven't discussed with FHO is flavonoids. Similar to terpenes but also water soluble (at least some are.) Apigenin that we use in base treatment regimen is example of a flavone. Many flavones interact with many different receptors affecting the ECS. If the water in fresh plant material is increasing the extraction of flavones this could also explain the difference of FHO.

Scorpio,
I found something similar about a year ago. I never followed up on it. The one I found looked like it was some kind of litmus paper test.

Please post what you think of it after you try it.

Best

I will For Sure

Sue wanted me to post it, so I will be doing many tests and will review the System and my findings

Great thinking! Here's a little more chemistry. A liquid can turn to gas thru vaporization (boiling) or evaporation.

Vaporization point is the boiling point of liquid, the maximum temp it can reach before turning to gas. The molecules have absorbed all the heat energy they can hold as a liquid. At that point additional heat energy is converted to "change of state" energy until molecule changes into gas.

Evaporation occurs at any temp including freezing temps. The molecule gets its change of state energy from kinetic energy of molecules colliding near the surface. One molecule bumps another into the air. If it gains enough energy (and the air is not already saturated) then it will stay in air as a gas.

The warmer the liquid the less kinetic energy is required and the more kinetic energy molecules have in collisions. Thus evaporation rate increases as it heats up. Terpenes require very little change of state energy which is why they evaporate so quickly at relatively low temps well below vapor point. Monoterpenes are so volatile they evaporate while still on plant, creating that smell we love.

One take away from this info is using the saturation point of air to limit terpene evaporation. Using a sealed container like canning jar will contain terpenes causing air to reach saturation point and terpenes will start falling back into liquid. (Just make sure jar lid is loose enough to let CO2 from decarb escape or it will explode.) Increasing pressure with pressure cooker lowers saturation point of air and also returns more terpenes to liquid.

We're going to lose terpenes no matter how we process. Advantage of FHO is that we start with more terpenes and so end up with more terpenes, which we can hang on to by storing in air-tight container with minimal air space.

Another factor we haven't discussed with FHO is flavonoids. Similar to terpenes but also water soluble (at least some are.) Apigenin that we use in base treatment regimen is example of a flavone. Many flavones interact with many different receptors affecting the ECS. If the water in fresh plant material is increasing the extraction of flavones this could also explain the difference of FHO.

Thank you for this explaination KR. That made so much sense to my overloaded brain. It reinforces my belief that the medicinal value of the FHO may indeed rival CCO. I can't wait until we finally have some lab testing to compare.

Scorpio, that test kit you're looking at is intriguing. I thought it would only tell you the values for THC and CBD, but it goes beyond that. Wonderful. You'll be able to do that comparison between the infused oils we're all longing to see. :thumb:

KingstonRabbi said:

I read this again and thought "Because we live in a vibrational universe." Everything vibrates. I strongly suspect that when cannabinoids hit the system it's discrete vibration they hone in on, cells out of tune with their neighbors. Someday they'll prove me right. :battingeyelashes:

hello everyone. Im new to this forum. infact this is my first subscription to a forum ever. ive been cultivating on my own for about a year now, both for medical and recreational use, and found a passion in cultivation as well as learning about this amazing plant. Ive been tailoring my decarboxilation process for maximizing my retention of all things medicinal in cannabis, learning how to make topicals, extracts, edibles etc. im a chef as well so alot of this comes second nature thankfully. I do alot of research on the plant from all over the place from books, to forums, to pharmacutical case studies to in person learning oppertunities with professionals in the industry. working in the industry offers so many tools to gain the knowledge you want to do what you want with this awesome plant. i often find myself teaching others but am a student over anything else and am so excited to become a part of these talks, and so greatful for such an amazing community that is filled with so many people that want to help others and spread knowledge. Just introducing myself, hopefully im posting this thing correctly ha. questions to come soon!!!!!!

hello everyone. Im new to this forum. infact this is my first subscription to a forum ever. ive been cultivating on my own for about a year now, both for medical and recreational use, and found a passion in cultivation as well as learning about this amazing plant. Ive been tailoring my decarboxilation process for maximizing my retention of all things medicinal in cannabis, learning how to make topicals, extracts, edibles etc. im a chef as well so alot of this comes second nature thankfully. I do alot of research on the plant from all over the place from books, to forums, to pharmacutical case studies to in person learning oppertunities with professionals in the industry. working in the industry offers so many tools to gain the knowledge you want to do what you want with this awesome plant. i often find myself teaching others but am a student over anything else and am so excited to become a part of these talks, and so greatful for such an amazing community that is filled with so many people that want to help others and spread knowledge. Just introducing myself, hopefully im posting this thing correctly ha. questions to come soon!!!!!!

Canyon is right, I'm honored to be here to welcome you into the group 18myweedie5. :hug: :love: I'm so new to this game it shocks me sometimes, so it's helpful to attract talented and curious lab rats into the fold. :laughtwo:

:welcome: not only to our brainstorming playground but to the :420: community at large. I think you'll be pleased with the friendly and helpful atmosphere. If we can in any way help you settle in you have to only to ask. We do have a topicals study hall maintained by Magnus8, if you're interested in sharing what you've learned as you learn from them, and there are a few interesting cooking threads you might enjoy as well.

I look forward to cementing our friendship. :circle-of-love:

hello everyone. Im new to this forum. infact this is my first subscription to a forum ever. ive been cultivating on my own for about a year now, both for medical and recreational use, and found a passion in cultivation as well as learning about this amazing plant. Ive been tailoring my decarboxilation process for maximizing my retention of all things medicinal in cannabis,

Oh yes, this caught my attention. We have a couple members preparing to do some intensive testing to determine some of what you may already know. When you have a moment to spare, any insight into decarboxylation you would like to share may save them time and expense. :battingeyelashes: :love:

A few of the questions running through my head. What better place to drop them than here? :battingeyelashes:

* What is lost in the decarb? Do any terps survive?
* What's retained in infused oils?
* How does FHO compare to other infused oils?
* How would an oil made with Low and Slo dried buds compare to FHO?
* How can decarb be manipulated to create a more varied cannabinoid profile and a more robust terpene profile?

Sweet sue,

ive read a few case studies by pharmacutical companies, one i vaguely remember by GW pharmacuticals (we all know them hopefully) as well as some cbd manufacturers about boiling points of cannabinoids terpenes other volitile molecules and processes they used as well. when i get home and have more time i might be able to find them again and post links. i also work in the industry in colorado and have had the opportunity to talk to reps by a few different edible companies as well. some not all edible companies use distillate in which the thc is already decarbed through the distlilation pocess. others use oil extracted with co2 or alcohol. i was able to talk to a rep with organna labs who told me their decarb process was a prortietary secret of pressure and heat. everywhere i have seen tells me thc has a boiling point of 157 degrees celcius and cbd at 160 to 180 degrees celcius. most other major cannabinoids fall in this range as well. the general meathod that is tried and true for decarbing is baking dry flower in an oven at 240 degrees farenhiet for around 30 min to an hour. give or take time and temp for elevation and moisture content. when done this way, people have had their cannabinoid retention tested around 20-40 percent i believe. much lower than ideal. also at this temp, terpanoids will start to evaporate and cannabinoids will start to degrade. thc degrades into cbn through oxygen, or prolonged exposure to sunlight or heat. i forget the term but i know that when pressure is increased, a given molecules boiling point will be lowered. this is because the molecules accumulated kinetic energy is not enough to break the threshhold of the pressure level in the cavity. this tells me that cannabis can be decarbes at lower temps if pressure on the cannabinoids is increased. this would allow a higher retention rate of cannabinoids and a much higher retention rate of terpenes as well. the terpenes that had evaporated will recondense and reabsorb into the oil as the tempature and pressure dissipates. sorry for my terrible spelling. im at work right now and just had to crank this out:)

im guessing fho is hemp oil and hemp just doesnt have as many cannabinoids or terpenes in them. also, the synnergestic effects of cbd and thc make for a much better medacine then either one alone.

Interesting info, I8myweedie5. It really gives us much to think about.

The proprietary pressure and heat method immediately made me think about a pressure cooker method of decarb we have discussed here. Wonder how that compares...

im accually planning on buying a pressure cooker and starting to experiment with it. im at 5280 so its going o take some dialing in first !!!

Yes it will. :laughtwo: I have confidence in your abilities. :battingeyelashes:

im guessing fho is hemp oil and hemp just doesnt have as many cannabinoids or terpenes in them. also, the synnergestic effects of cbd and thc make for a much better medacine then either one alone.

FHO is Fresh Harvest Oil. It's an infused oil we're working to perfect, and one of the production methods includes the use of a pressure cooker. What you shared is valuable information for this process. We have a dedicated thread.

Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

So I just Pulled the trigger today and order a THC/CBD test kit

It seems to be, for the $$$ , a great option to test the THC and CBD in oils and Flowers, and much cheaper than $40 a shot at test companies

THC Test Kits | THC Test Kit Refills | THC Test Kit Supplies | Cannalytics Supply

1661138386996.png

Its shows Like the above Pic, and the size of the SPOT depics the % of THC or CBD

They say it takes a bit of learning, but I decided to get the Better Kit that has the more professional tools in It

I want to test my Flowers, and, the Oils.

FHO vs Low n slo dried Oil, Vs plain old 36hr Oil

Company is in CO, so I should, I assume, see it in a few days

Excited to start this new phase of Fun and experimenting

Let the Genetic Testing Begin:thumb:
I guess I'll need to do some Rick Simpson oil now as well to compare it vs FHO and vs low n slow dried 36hr Oil

I have some more CBDutch treat from same plants I did the current oils from, so should have plenty to do a test run, and a fifth of Everclear in my pantry as well.

In the name of science of course

Back
Top Bottom