It's been a month since I set the bud of Candy Cane in the jar of olive oil. It's been sitting on the fridge, mostly forgotten. What I found today caught me off guard. It appears to have molded. This suggests a need to start with heated EVOO? Maybe try a cold infusion?

IMG_77075.JPG

IMG_77084.JPG

I have a Carnival prepping for harvest, so I'm in a position to try again. I could clip a lower bud for the experiment. Carnival will be easier for me to evaluate. Candy Cane isn't a chemovar I care that much for, Carnival being my favorite choice.

Suggestions? I don't know that I'd use this oil for anything. I will note that it smells very strongly of Candy Cane.

How about if the jar and oil were prepared in the same way that you would if you were going to pickle something? Jar in the oven, oil heated and lids and seals in a pot of boiling water..... Not unlike the original olive oil would have been? Just to help remove all of the air as the jar and/ or oil cools?

Quick question too..... I have a friend that has confirmed spots of basal cell carcinoma on her body. She has had a couple of them removed as they have shown up over the past year but now she has come to me asking if she can purchase an oil from a licensed producer that would help her if she applied it in the same manner as RSO..... Thoughts? I have watched and read a lot of conflicting information about the strains used in RSO.

Quick question too..... I have a friend that has confirmed spots of basal cell carcinoma on her body. She has had a couple of them removed as they have shown up over the past year but now she has come to me asking if she can purchase an oil from a licensed producer that would help her if she applied it in the same manner as RSO..... Thoughts? I have watched and read a lot of conflicting information about the strains used in RSO.

If you have it available, a bud, soaked in a bit of alcohol and crushed into a paste will do essentially the same thing RSO will do. It's a quick, holistic response for a spot treatment. I'd use it the same way you would RSO, covered with a bandaid and switched out every couple days.

Any extra-strength infused oil with high THC will do the trick. It just takes longer. A strong pain cream mix can be used to keep the skin wonderfully lubricated and protected. That might be her best option, applied daily. It doesn't take much.

The concern about much of the RSO is the solvent used. We prefer ethanol extractions, if using a solvent, as do most dispensaries. RSO is CCO, by a different name. Purchased Canna products are still unstable ground to most of us who grow our own. The trust issue keeps getting in the way.

How about if the jar and oil were prepared in the same way that you would if you were going to pickle something? Jar in the oven, oil heated and lids and seals in a pot of boiling water..... Not unlike the original olive oil would have been? Just to help remove all of the air as the jar and/ or oil cools?

This was my thought too, but the original thought was simplicity, and canning isn't a simple kitchen project. :laughtwo: Since Dale passed I seem to have stopped cooking. Someday I expect I'll get back to it, but for now....

I'll consider this with a Carnival bud. If we can get a good infused oil by simply canning buds in olive oil I'm game to try.

A thought: I'd forgotten that THCa is unstable. Maybe a cold infusion would work to keep it from converting to THC? I'm ok with a conversion of the canned oil stored in a cool, dark place. That would be kinda cool to end up with psychoactive oil from undecarbed buds. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If you have it available, a bud, soaked in a bit of alcohol and crushed into a paste will do essentially the same thing RSO will do. It's a quick, holistic response for a spot treatment. I'd use it the same way you would RSO, covered with a bandaid and switched out every couple days.

Any extra-strength infused oil with high THC will do the trick. It just takes longer. A strong pain cream mix can be used to keep the skin wonderfully lubricated and protected. That might be her best option, applied daily. It doesn't take much.

The concern about much of the RSO is the solvent used. We prefer ethanol extractions, if using a solvent, as do most dispensaries. RSO is CCO, by a different name. Purchased Canna products are still unstable ground to most of us who grow our own. The trust issue keeps getting in the way.
Essentially the same as Dave Groomers recipe?

Essentially the same as Dave Groomers recipe?

That's the one I use. If you want it stronger increase the plant matter, but I don't know if I'd go any higher than double-strength.

hey sue I found my pesto to do the same thing on occasion. It has to do with the acidity level of olive oil makes it a bad preserving agent for organics. I started adding some lemon juice to my pesto would prevent the mold from occurring. Pure infused oil should keep for a long time but if you have bud sitting in oil, mold will occur quite frequently based off the amount of moisture content in the organics.

I have experience I can share. Multiple years on tramadol up to 400 mg a day. Long chat with the doc about side effects and complications from long term use. Doc has just come back from some seminar and what was explained there is with long term use, the opioids lose effectiveness and in fact start to contribute to the pain / cause the pain you are trying to fix.

I was already on a low dose of cannameds. Roughly 5mg thc/cbd 4 to 5 times a day. Cannasnacks (dried decarbed bud bits in or on something) all through the day.

We launched a tramadol reduction program where the dose was reduced in stages over 6 weeks then it became zero.

There were no side effects, no withdrawal symptoms, nothing. At the end I actually felt better because there were no opioids floating around messing things up.

What I learned was that the tramadol was not helping me in any way. Cannabis with no tramadol was better than tramadol with or without cannabinoids.

Based on this and a couple of friends now off the opioids, I have to disagree with first part of the red paragraph.

If you keep taking the opioids, the cannabinoids will never catch up. They will never manage the pain.

Based on my experience the cannabis program must be underway - low doses are fine. But people must immediately start the opioid reduction program for it to have any impact. I did both for several months and nothing changed.

Why so much emphasis on this?

I want people to know that they can start an opioid reduction program and they wont feel worse.

Oldbear, might I ask a few questions? You didn't fee worse during reduction? Did the cannabis cover your pain during reduction and after opioid free? I am reading your journal and appears pain was tough for you. How much did you increase the cannabis during the 6 week reduction? Could you still drive, work ?

I stopped opioids a few times without cannabis but after a few weeks the pain was so intense I couldn't function. With my jaw, that translates to not eating or talking. Plus increase in back pain,...

It's encouraging to know it is possible to get off these meds.

Oldbear, might I ask a few questions? You didn't fee worse during reduction? Did the cannabis cover your pain during reduction and after opioid free? I am reading your journal and appears pain was tough for you. How much did you increase the cannabis during the 6 week reduction? Could you still drive, work ?

I stopped opioids a few times without cannabis but after a few weeks the pain was so intense I couldn't function. With my jaw, that translates to not eating or talking. Plus increase in back pain,...

It's encouraging to know it is possible to get off these meds.

Hi Sierra I think we are aware that peoples' reaction to cannabis can vary between individuals. I'm guessing that that is also true for opioids?

In my case there was or is no pain free. Its always been about making it manageable. Initially it was better with the tramadol, but over time, it became necessary to increase the dose to achieve the same level of ok.

I was on the tramadol with no cannabinoids for years. I started by cannabis therapy in Sept 2016. Many weeks followed experimenting with different strains, different dose amounts, and frequencies.

Cannabis with tramadol did not improve things as much as expected. So the reduction program was started with nothing to lose.

What we decided - the doc, the pharmacist and me - was to do a 20% reduction for two weeks, assess results, then reduce it again.

During this time, we did not increase the cannabinoid intake from where I had stabilized.

Hard to remember exactly but for the first couple of reductions, there was no noticeable change.

Towards the end of the third reduction, some of the side effects of opioid use started to reduce - sluggish feeling and dry mouth. I was starting to feel better.

After the full reduction / elimination of opioids there was no increase in pain levels. In fact there was less.

I have stayed on a low dose program. Pain is manageable, more so than with the opioids.

Hope this helps

Regarding driving and working - I take low doses of cannabinoids all day long. The base is a 50/50 mix of thc/cbd in an edible oil and supplemented by a 2% / 8% mix if I want to up the cbc.

There are no 'too much thc' side effects. Racy Brain, dry mouth, anxiety, the munchies are rare. In fact the munchy switch is one of my main measurements. If I get them, Ive taken too much for my needs.

Three times - on tramadol with cannabis, during opioid reduction, and once off opioids - I was curious to see if I was taking enough thc/cbd. So on these occasions, in a carefully controlled environment ( I didn't need to go anywhere and supportive people were nearby) ramped up the thc to high levels and stayed there a few days.

Other than experiencing results familiar to 'stoners' there was no change to the pain levels and overall well being.

I was able to prove that low doses work better (on me at least). High doses were just a waste.

Oldbear, that is helpful. I have doctors permission to add cannabis but no guidance. As far as reducing meds, it is my call. Primary care wanted me to increase meds as pain is often not controlled. Pain free is something that is a distant faded memory. Function is my goal after too many years of waiting to feel better I have to just live. But, pain and years of limitations are challenging.

Yes, I imagine we are different with meds as well. That thought came after doing the cannabis. I had become mesmerized to think as the drug companies preach. Clearly, some days I took more or less meds as needed. Always the least to function. I work part time teaching at a university and have done this for the past ten or so years after becoming disabled. It was years of wheelchairs, using oxygen at home, tons of meds, lots of help. No one thought I would ever work again. But I am as hard as some days are for me, I am standing and walking on my own power. Think I hit a boundary recently teaching too many classes. Never know till you cross that line. Imagine you get that fact.

I do keep a log and still am working to figure out what works best for me. It has been confusing. What friends have given me are mystery strains. Not sure if I should put in tincture or make into pain creme. As I don't know what extra chemicals might be there.

I am encouraged by your words..."After the full reduction / elimination of opioids there was no increase in pain levels. In fact there was less.

I have stayed on a low dose program. Pain is manageable, more so than with the opioids."

@sierrahiker

HizzyB was a member here that made the biggest jump off opiates that I know of. He beat a 15 year addiction down to zero using cannabis. Below is link to his last grow journal started after he got free. His prior journal probably had more info about weening off if you can find it, and if you go back a year or so he has some memorable posts on this thread. weenmeoff is another member to look up for details on strains. I think Ween is still active.
Hizzy's Back Opioid Free & Ready To Work - Crokkett's Sour Banana Sherbet & Gnat War

Just checked and this is ween's current journal.
Another Brix In The Wall - Sweet Pink Stink & Coked Out Girl Scout

Sierra you can get guidance here. Lots of helpful people around.

Do you have access to product(s) where cbd is higher than or equal to thc level?

I will check dispensaries. Quick history: Last March I started with CBD full plant tincture and a few weeks added unknown THC to try to reduce pain. Few months later, tinctures were made with unknown plants, they were high in TCH as a couple drops could be felt. Person making kept telling me to take 5 drops a few times a day and increase. One bottle lasted a long time and next bottle was not effective. Then I bought RSO oil close to 1:1 and added MCT to make a weak tincture. No strain info listed. Bought a couple more RSO oils, and this time did the math to see how much THC/CBD per drop. Ttrying to see how many mg were needed for pain reduction. Still looking for the sweet spot. Most recently, a friend gave me brownies made with 2:1 CBD oil (no numbers or info).

It appears you received good relief with low doses often. That is something I can explore also. There are many forks in these roads and I am feeling a be lost. Typing this I realize that I am trying many options at the same time and it will be hard to know what might work. I needed some relief and ready to try almost anything. I will slow down and map out my choices.

Clever idea to ramp up THC for a few days at a time. I save that thought. Appreciate your help.

@sierrahiker

HizzyB was a member here that made the biggest jump off opiates that I know of. He beat a 15 year addiction down to zero using cannabis. Below is link to his last grow journal started after he got free. His prior journal probably had more info about weening off if you can find it, and if you go back a year or so he has some memorable posts on this thread. weenmeoff is another member to look up for details on strains. I think Ween is still active.
Hizzy's Back Opioid Free & Ready To Work - Crokkett's Sour Banana Sherbet & Gnat War

Just checked and this is ween's current journal.
Another Brix In The Wall - Sweet Pink Stink & Coked Out Girl Scout

KingstonRabbi, thank for highlighting some needed encouragement. I will take some time to read over their posts. This is the information I have looked for on-line. Never found although learned there is much to learn from this plant. Appreciate.

Hi friends. I got grapeseed oil and coconut oil today. Waiting another day for digestive system to settle. Waiting for silicone cups to arrive in the mail so I can decarb my rosin. Still reading furiously. I posted a few of my notes as blogs. See ya soon. Kelly

I am reading your blog, but it won't let me comment (or maybe I haven't worked out how). So... was it just CCO, do you think, that sorted out your blood pressure; and if so, did the effect continue after you had finished taking it? (I may be totally misunderstanding this).

Do you think, excuse my asking, that there is one underlying cause behind the various issues? Or maybe not one, exactly, as you have suffered collateral damage from medication - the kidney thing is shocking! - but something that just needs to be tweaked to sort out most of these issues, like a cascade effect?

I think you are certainly doing the right thing in taking over and "owning" your own course of treatment. I suspect conventional medicine will look at you in pieces and try to correct each piece, regardless of what other function is knocked out of kilter. I hope cannabis does the trick.

Thank you Oldbear and SweetSue. Encouraging posts. I did suppository last night and but short of time this morning. Allowed a few hours of sleep and woke a 1 am so eat small piece of a chew. It was a weak tincture that I put in capsule. Think it should be stronger for suppositories. I have tried pain creams but didn't seem to help much.

I am wondering if the cannabis is helping pain more that the meds. Am doing intense physical therapy on jaw and pain remains intense. So, had hoped to manage pain before reducing meds. But, will see what I can do. Pain doc was quick to suggest Tramadol as is easier to prescribe than the oxycodone. I am not sure switching meds does me any good. Interesting that cannabis alone was better. That helps.

I have read about the meds adding to the pain and even did a few Ketamine infusions to reset my pain sensitivity. It helped RSD in hand dramatically but didn't help jaw or back. Cannabis may be the safer way.

I had bought some THCA tincture last month as a way to use cannabis while working. So, my body seems to be on the right path. Chronic pain makes it hard to see progress at times, so do appreciate the help here. Thinking 7 mg of THCA twice a day while working, along with CBD. Then switch to THC when home and not driving. Plus suppositories twice a day and try cream again. Will order apigenin capsules too.

From experience: Tramadol has some bad side effects, extreme vertigo (I passed out), vomiting (sudden, good thing there was a trash bucket nearby). So not conscious to see if it affected the pain.. I never took a second tablet after the first. Pure poison, IMO.

From experience: Tramadol has some bad side effects, extreme vertigo (I passed out), vomiting (sudden, good thing there was a trash bucket nearby). So not conscious to see if it affected the pain.. I never took a second tablet after the first. Pure poison, IMO.

Thanks AKgramma. I agree and don't see much point of switching poisons. Cannabis has to be a better path.

Love your state, my dad lived there and was lucky to visit a few time. Amazing country.

I'm beat from today's harvest and on my way to bed. How glad I am to have swung through here to check up and find all this loving engagement. :battingeyelashes: :love:

I'm so proud to be a part of this group. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom