Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

FWIW, it was definitely not late. I want to try and tweak the Faux Mix to put the Ca:Mg ratio to be 10:1, but won't actually mix another for months.

hmmmm... do you know what the starting ration of Ca to Mg is in garden lime?

In the Garden lime alone, it's 2:1. Looking through DocBud's old posts I learned ideal is between 7:1 - 10:1 so that's where I am shooting for just for making Faux Mix which is DIY promix. Once that Faux Mix is set up, I then amend it again with my best effort to emulate DB's amendment which itself I have set to 7:1, consisting mostly of "Soil Mender's Minerals Plus". I already amended my 2nd batch, but both batches are made from Faux Mix that isn't dialed in so it remains to be seen if my first off soil plants will be worth a shit, or even high brix.

Edit - Each batch is 50 gallons of soil

Hmmmm....
How are you boosting the CA in your mix?
There's probably some amendment in the garden department that is just CA.
heeeheee.... I do a ton of light construction work and I've often wondered about the nutrient value of drywall mud.
What's Calcium Carbonate.... I feel like it's something on the shelf at the local shop.
Nevermind... I wiki'd it. It's apparently used mostly as a PH adjuster.... perhaps that's my ph down and the neurons are bleeding over.
Hmmmm... Calcium Nitrate can be used. Apparently my drywall joke wasn't far off with Gypsum being an option as well. I saw Limestone as an option as well.

I will be using Calcium Carbonate with the Garden Lime to produce the 10:1 ratio and also buffer the ph of the peat moss to make the Faux Mix. At that point, the primary calcium source of the amendment is soft rock phosphate "cal-phos" brand as that one has 3% available P and 20% each of colloidal P and Ca which the microbes release over time, but also the Minerals Plus has 7:1 Ca:Mg, as well as some Calcium Nitrate to bring it home.

I'm mixing that with 1 bale of peat (3CFU), should be 1CF of perlite, but I have 2, and 30lbs of EWC and it fills 5 - 10gal fabric pots. My first batch, I didn't have good amendments, so I compensating the elements with mostly salts, so that batch is probably hot as hell compared to the 2nd batch which I'm sure will be a good foundation.

Hey Tead nice to see you around again dude.
:passitleft:
excuse that little bit of poetry, I may have been stoned. Plants are looking good.

As you may recall I’m growing in peat moss/perlite/lime.

Based on a thread that came up a couple months ago Do we need to pH adjust our nutrient solutions?
I started doing a pH test where I’m feeding one plant at a horribly high pH and another one at a sickeningly low pH, I’ve yet to update my journal with that as my life has been stretched thin lately. Too busy writing poetry and stuff, you know. The plants are both doing fine though. I guess this is good news but still confusing as hell :( since I’m sure I’ve had a lot of ph troubles in the past. Could they have all been imaginary- or acid flashbacks ? I really don’t see how they could have. Maybe the lime wears out eventually or I had some bad batches? I don’t know. Could I have been diligently adjusting ph all these years for nothing? Really? If so, just kill me now...

Skybound since you like this sort of thing here is an article on balancing peat moss with lime which you may appreciate. You can see that the subject is more complicated than you might think. As usual. Harmonizing Peat and Lime - Sun Gro Horticulture

Hey Tead nice to see you around again dude.
:passitleft:
excuse that little bit of poetry, I may have been stoned. Plants are looking good.

Based on a thread that came up a couple months ago Do we need to pH adjust our nutrient solutions?
I started doing a pH test where I’m feeding one plant at a horribly high pH and another one at a sickeningly low pH, I’ve yet to update my journal with that as my life has been stretched thin lately. Too busy writing poetry and stuff, you know. The plants are both doing fine though. I guess this is good news but still confusing as hell :( since I’m sure I’ve had a lot of ph troubles in the past. Could they have all been imaginary- or acid flashbacks ? I really don’t see how they could have. Maybe the lime wears out eventually or I had some bad batches? I don’t know. Could I have been diligently adjusting ph all these years for nothing? Really? If so, just kill me now...

Skybound since you like this sort of thing here is an article on balancing peat moss with lime which you may appreciate. You can see that the subject is more complicated than you might think. As usual. Harmonizing Peat and Lime - Sun Gro Horticulture

Real generally, Lime and Calcium Carbonate have a high ph, and when contrasted with peat, they settle at a near ideal 6.5 for soil. My first salty batch is a little higher due to my own impatience, but the plant in it now seems to be doing okay. My 2nd batch I used a lot more carbonate and little to no magnesium. Ideally, and in accordance with what Doc Bud achieved in his soil, I want the most calcium I can get into the soil and not a lot of other competing cations such as Mg, K or NH4 as all of those 3 are easily uptaken, whereas calcium is always in a struggle. So calcium is loaded into the soil, the other CATs are present in lesser concentrations and are later topped up with drenches.

I perused that Lime article, and because it's so long, I have to put it on the back burner till tomorrow or later as I'm still fussing with the new printer electronics and learning my way around in the new firmware settings, driver settings yada yada yada. It's one of them things you need to learn as you go, but once I come out the other end, my printer should produce higher quality and run a lot quieter. Once that's done and printing, I can once again focus on my grow and all related study, but I do need to print some things for the new grow room, one thing I have in mind are flat discs to shoot staples through to hold up the panda film to the walls, and in the corners. My first rooms are all scabby looking with blown thru staples, and tape over them holes, then I remember seeing the discs being used on newly framed houses on the tyvek wrap. Also need to print a 4th tower fan wall mount. I'm also tossing around an idea to make pulleys above all of the lights so I can adjust heights from outside the room with paracords. That might be too complicated to be practical, but I still like to toss around ideas.

An overview...

Ignore the water over-run and the defol debris... I was mid task when the photo moment struck. Plus, if I didn't do it right that moment, I probably would have forgot.

Plants are looking good

Thanks... they're still looking good.

Of course... you got the source material just hangin round waitin to be used!

The plants are both doing fine though. I guess this is good news but still confusing as hell :( since I’m sure I’ve had a lot of ph troubles in the past.

Frustrating. I'm with ya. I have hopes that my new mix will be able to get along without ph adjustment. We'll see. I'm gonna try tossing Dolomite Lime into the mix instead of the other stuff I've been using. Dolomite has additional Mg and I want that.

Could I have been diligently adjusting ph all these years for nothing? Really? If so, just kill me now...

I know. So tired of chasing PH....

It's been forever since I've visited your place... everyone else too. I'll roam over there shortly..... it's a bit of a treat usually.

Here's my contribution to everyone's side reading. I dug this article and hereby declare myself a devoted "Lazivore".

Lazivores unite: A manifesto for lazy gardening

Just a quick drive-by to post that I hope you're not affected by that hotel collapse.

Just a quick drive-by to post that I hope you're not affected by that hotel collapse.
That intersection is on my daily run. I had been thru it about 1/2 hr before the event. I would have been right on the street where all the debris hit. It's a crazy world out there!
Took this shot this morning before I had to detour around it....

View media item 1718564

Oh... this is a grow thread....
Here's a Jack H from earlier today.

Ya know how you walk into your grow space and take a look around and say "Wow!".....

Here's one that had a huge inside tube. For size ref, the tube is bigger around than pencil lead, but not as big around as the whole pencil.

Heheh, looks a lot like some poolside outdoor grows I've seen. :bongrip:

So what's the final verdict on the Samsung panels?

So what's the final verdict on the Samsung panels?

If I had more room, I'd buy more. Luv 'em. Moving the ballasts to a separate vented area is awesome.
One drawback.... lots of sharp/hard corners on heavy objects hanging right at head level. I've given blood before I finally learned to keep ducked down when wandering thru the ladies and still get bit on occasion. Almost sick enough of it to pad the corners.... so lazy.

Ya know how you walk into your grow space and take a look around and say "Wow!".....

Here's one that had a huge inside tube. For size ref, the tube is bigger around than pencil lead, but not as big around as the whole pencil.

I'd be saying "WOW" just to have that much room to grow in, let lone the big fat ladies. Someday.

Back
Top Bottom