TeSmp's 400W White Widow's + Soil & DWC Lollipops

Re: teSmp's 400w White Widow's + Soil & DWC Lollipops - BPN

Congratulations!
Those buds look great!
Really enjoyed watching this process!

Successful!
Keep on growing!

By the way! Stop by my journal! see whats up! I just entered my first flowering journey!
Would love your support!

:high-five:

Thanks spirit I was hoping both girls would have put out as much as the one I harvested today so I would of ended up with a QP but I can always grow more!! I'll be over to your journal tonight after school :thanks:

Nice looking thread man, great pics also. Care if I join the thread. I'm kinda new here

Peace

Nice looking thread man, great pics also. Care if I join the thread. I'm kinda new here

Peace

Thank you :) Of course you can, join in anytime you'd like. However, I'll have this journal closed in a few days since it's finished once I get dried weight on here. You can go to the 2nd link in my signature!

Alright so I got just under 3 ounces from the two plants. They're in jars curing right now. An ounce less then I wanted but whatever!

If a mod wants to move this, this journal is completed. Thanks everyone.

How long did you dry them for? Just curious, I'm reading a lot and some go for 2 or 3 days some for a week before curing.

Since I live I'm the desert the humidity is so low I only get about 3 days to dry, nothing I can do about it really.

So I'm trying to relate it to my situation, but do you think you could have prolonged your drying to a week if you used your grow tent and the humidifier in there?

Thanks, your plants looked great. So white!

Well yeah you could definitely do that. However, you'll need real good ventilation in there and you'll need to maybe turn the humidifier on for 15 minutes every 2 hours or something. If you left it on in the dark without good ventilation you would be up to 100% RH in no time.

Well yeah you could definitely do that. However, you'll need real good ventilation in there and you'll need to maybe turn the humidifier on for 15 minutes every 2 hours or something. If you left it on in the dark without good ventilation you would be up to 100% RH in no time.

Thank you, I have a timer that I can do like 7 different on/offs in one day so hopefully I can just turn it on and off to maintain a certain level.

re: TeSmp's 400W White Widow's + Soil & DWC Lollipops - Blue Planet Nutrients

id be very warry of mould creeping in if u used humidifier during drying, if their drying that quick then isnt their a way you could put them into curing jars a bit sooner and keep burping the jars to aid with the end curing results, i know this can produce mould as well but if you had big enough jars and opened them often enough would this help the process at all.

but is it a bad thing that their drying that quick, does it make it smoke any different to a longer dry process, im not sure it would make much difference, i know quick drying in microwaves and ovens and on lights causes bad tastes but your not exactly heating the buds up to rush the process their still drying with nature so does it taste and smoke that much different to a long cure process,

Well, you're putting water in the air, and exhausting it with the same fan you use in your grow room. You shouldn't have stagnant air that will harbor the mold spores.

You want to cure slowly to let the bud release all the chlorophyll over time, the longer you do it, the more will release. The key is to release all of it without getting below a certain RH, as then your buds won't cure in the jar.

Online Somewhere said:
This method is particularly effective for folks who are starting out, those looking to maximize quality in a shorter period of time, and folks who's like to produce a connoisseur-quality product each and every time with no guesswork involved.

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Not that you have to do this exactly, but it gives you a good idea how to do it and a good idea as to what humidity levels you should keep them at during the drying/curing processes.

i should be ok where i am in europe, at the moment it looks like we aint getting much chance of getting summer, we got more snow on the way and its meant to be summer, but looks like winter and feels like winter, with teSmp having is bud dry in 3 days, does that make it any different to smoke, surely its drying the same just quicker, and where these plants grow they have a very hot climate as well, i can understand cooler climates taking time to cure so as not to use methods to rush the process such as oven and light drying it, as this makes it a bit harsh and loses the taste, sound like teSmp is getting the weather i could do with where i am, im waiting to do a bit of guerila growing, got a place set up and plants in veg waiting to go outside, just need the weather to get better and the frost to go away, its usually hot by now this time of year, but its still cold and very wet, not the right weather for planting outside just yet, but ill be ready when the weather does change

id be very warry of mould creeping in if u used humidifier during drying, if their drying that quick then isnt their a way you could put them into curing jars a bit sooner and keep burping the jars to aid with the end curing results, i know this can produce mould as well but if you had big enough jars and opened them often enough would this help the process at all.

but is it a bad thing that their drying that quick, does it make it smoke any different to a longer dry process, im not sure it would make much difference, i know quick drying in microwaves and ovens and on lights causes bad tastes but your not exactly heating the buds up to rush the process their still drying with nature so does it taste and smoke that much different to a long cure process,

COgrow said it will, +rep to him :) and yeah the real only downside is taking your dank ass smelling bud and turning it into a ok/good smelling hay if you dry it to fast. The first plant I cut down dried way to fast only 2 days and if you smell in the jar it smells pretty good but if you break open a bud it doesn't release any good smell. By the time I put it in the jar after only 2 days it was to late the RH was 59% and burping the jar for 3-5 days didn't happen, which is disappointing because now it doesn't have a good smell. The other plant I was able to dry it for 3 days and place it in the jars at 71% RH and I just kept opening the jar for about 1/2 hour or so and now it's down to 66% and I'll continue to do it until it's down around 60-63% and then let it cure for at least a month. I can say that the high is the same between the two, very strong and euphoric. However, the second plant smells amazing especially when you crack open a bud and the first one smells somewhere between hay and flowers up close but the jar still smells good.

I agree with what COgrow says, I don't think it would be a problem with the humidifier if you had it set up on a timer and it came on say once an hour for 15 minutes as long as you had good ventilation set up, which I do. But my tent was full and I got what I got! and yep weather is good around here, 75F constantly should be in the 100s real soon. When I move to the university it will be 115-120 so that's no good for growing outdoors either!

couldnt you make a smaller dry area where you can use the humidifier, wouldnt need to be to big would it as long as you had enough air moving around and new air moving in, so i would be best drying mine for as long as i can then, ill dry some quick so i got a small smoke and then dry and cure the rest, i bought some curing jars for when i need them, just hoping i get enough bud to put in the jars, would looke pretty miseable with an 1/8th in a jar, but its my first grow in ages so ill be happy with what ever i get,

couldnt you make a smaller dry area where you can use the humidifier, wouldnt need to be to big would it as long as you had enough air moving around and new air moving in, so i would be best drying mine for as long as i can then, ill dry some quick so i got a small smoke and then dry and cure the rest, i bought some curing jars for when i need them, just hoping i get enough bud to put in the jars, would looke pretty miseable with an 1/8th in a jar, but its my first grow in ages so ill be happy with what ever i get,

You'll get more than an 1/8th lol, don't worry. I got 3 ounces, not as much as I wanted but still alright. I put them all in a box that was about 1 foot deep x 1.5 foot wide x 1.5 foot tall and the RH was around 50% but they still dried that quick. I think it was because most the buds were just average size buds you would see in a bag rather then ones the size of a pop can. Other then that ya I could have put the humidifier in there but I don't have a good ventilation system for the box, only my tent.

COgrow said it will, +rep to him :) and yeah the real only downside is taking your dank ass smelling bud and turning it into a ok/good smelling hay if you dry it to fast. The first plant I cut down dried way to fast only 2 days and if you smell in the jar it smells pretty good but if you break open a bud it doesn't release any good smell. By the time I put it in the jar after only 2 days it was to late the RH was 59% and burping the jar for 3-5 days didn't happen, which is disappointing because now it doesn't have a good smell. The other plant I was able to dry it for 3 days and place it in the jars at 71% RH and I just kept opening the jar for about 1/2 hour or so and now it's down to 66% and I'll continue to do it until it's down around 60-63% and then let it cure for at least a month. I can say that the high is the same between the two, very strong and euphoric. However, the second plant smells amazing especially when you crack open a bud and the first one smells somewhere between hay and flowers up close but the jar still smells good.

I agree with what COgrow says, I don't think it would be a problem with the humidifier if you had it set up on a timer and it came on say once an hour for 15 minutes as long as you had good ventilation set up, which I do. But my tent was full and I got what I got! and yep weather is good around here, 75F constantly should be in the 100s real soon. When I move to the university it will be 115-120 so that's no good for growing outdoors either!
Thanks man, having your first hand story on how it worked is awesome. Better than my 'speculation'.

Donpaul, I really would trade my weather for yours! My weather sounds very similar to teSmp's, RH and all. It's like 90 today... I have an hour overlap where my lights turn on and it's still pretty warm outside and my tent shoots up to like 80 unless I open it up more. I need another fan to bring air in, because as soon as I open the vents the tent loses suction and cools off.

And yes, you could make a small area to dry, but that involves buying more equipment for air exchange/circulation, etc... I figured use what I have, although I do have a smaller fan I could use, but I won't need my tent. It's getting too hot outside to grow anymore.

Curing and getting that good taste/smell is such an important factor in your overall quality. There have been studies done showing that the smells and tastes in the bud have an effect of the overall high. It's kind of like a unique variable to the bud that's different for everyone depending on how that smell or taste registers with their brain.

Try an harbor those awesome tastes and smells! Plus, you will maximize the conversion of the THCA to THC (or THCV to CBD) with the curing process as well.

Thanks man, having your first hand story on how it worked is awesome. Better than my 'speculation'.

Donpaul, I really would trade my weather for yours! My weather sounds very similar to teSmp's, RH and all. It's like 90 today... I have an hour overlap where my lights turn on and it's still pretty warm outside and my tent shoots up to like 80 unless I open it up more. I need another fan to bring air in, because as soon as I open the vents the tent loses suction and cools off.

And yes, you could make a small area to dry, but that involves buying more equipment for air exchange/circulation, etc... I figured use what I have, although I do have a smaller fan I could use, but I won't need my tent. It's getting too hot outside to grow anymore.

Curing and getting that good taste/smell is such an important factor in your overall quality. There have been studies done showing that the smells and tastes in the bud have an effect of the overall high. It's kind of like a unique variable to the bud that's different for everyone depending on how that smell or taste registers with their brain.

Try an harbor those awesome tastes and smells! Plus, you will maximize the conversion of the THCA to THC (or THCV to CBD) with the curing process as well.

Do you live in the SW? What are your temps in your tent without your light on because that is what's going to be important. My RH here is in the low to mid teens usually.

Do you live in the SW? What are your temps in your tent without your light on because that is what's going to be important. My RH here is in the low to mid teens usually.

I'm in colorado, feels like the SW though haha. The only difference is that my humidity (outside) is 20 percent usually. Fluctuates down to 10 and up to 30 or 40 at times, though. I live just on the east side of the rockies.

I couldn't tell you what they would be in the evening without the light. When I checked today it was like 68, and that's with my window open a few inches and venting out with my normal fan. Probably will see it hit 72 or 73 just before the lights come on this evening.

And granted, i'm measuring my heat at a random point just above my hood. So I go a little low to account for the heat the bulb puts out at canopy level.

I'm in colorado, feels like the SW though haha. The only difference is that my humidity (outside) is 20 percent usually. Fluctuates down to 10 and up to 30 or 40 at times, though. I live just on the east side of the rockies.

I couldn't tell you what they would be in the evening without the light. When I checked today it was like 68, and that's with my window open a few inches and venting out with my normal fan. Probably will see it hit 72 or 73 just before the lights come on this evening.

And granted, i'm measuring my heat at a random point just above my hood. So I go a little low to account for the heat the bulb puts out at canopy level.

Not bad those are good temps, I was just hoping you weren't planning on having it near 80's when you are drying, that wouldn't be good!

Drying is the most disappointing part of the grow if it is not done properly. I know because I've had the same problem several times just like you TeSmp. That was until I got a hygrometer and stumbled upon a few threads like the one COgrow quoted. If your 1st plant is harsh and smells like hay, stash the jar for a few months while your smoking on the rest of your harvest. In a few months it will develop a better smell and taste, not quite the same as properly dried & cured buds but it is better then the hay.

You can also place a small fresh nug in the jar to re moisten the buds. I had some bud I let dry for too long that it would crumble when touched, after a few days with a very small fresh nug the buds were actually moist again and smelled a lot better. You just have to closely monitor the RH after you put the fresh small nug in

If your RH in your drying chamber is too low, you can place the buds in brown paper bags after 2-3 days of drying. Make sure the top of the bag is open and you only have a small layer of buds. Give it a little shake once or twice a day. This will let the buds dry slower, and I think it improves the taste as well

After I my buds go into jars for curing I like to burp them for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day for the first week, make sure you give them a shake when you burp the jars. If the RH is still to high, place the buds in a paper bag for 1-2 hours. After the first week, I burp them 2-3 times a week but just for a couple minutes to replace the air. I have also noticed better quality when I would put them in jars sooner while they were still a little moist and let them fully dry during burping. You just have to be cautious with mold

Back
Top Bottom