TeSmp's 5 Gallon DWC + 2L DWC-H's + 2L Hempy + 2L Soil

re: TeSmp's 5 Gallon DWC + 2L DWC-H's + 2L Hempy + 2L Soil

great guide mate, with mine i left the lid off the bottle, and i had less holes drilled in the actual bottle, but i have got loads of roots, like most of them growing out the bottle neck and i have also got long roots growing out the holes i drilled, not sure why you not got much growth out of yours, possibly different growing medium as im using compost on its own, i didnt drill holes in the lid i left it off and my roots grew out of their, for the first few waters i had a bit of compost come out but as soon as the roots come out this tops, i wonder if your creating a sort of bottle neck by having the lid on mate, have you ever tried leaving the lid off or cant you using the medium you use

anyway my lid is off and my roots are growing out the hole very well and also i have got roots growing out the holes i drilled, and i have drilled less holes, id say about 8 at the most i have drilled out, my roots are growing out of these holes though, so i wonder if this is dependant on the growing medium, i didnt know i was meant to leave the lid on the bottle else i would of left it on, i thought you left it off for the roots to grow through without getting stuck, anyways it seems to work either way,

great guide mate, ill reps you if i can, that easy enough for anyone to follow even if they have not grown before, should get it posted in the how to section mate, or post a link to the guide under your signature as a lot of people do ask about this grow method, im impressed with the results but i got a long way to go yet,

great guide mate, with mine i left the lid off the bottle, and i had less holes drilled in the actual bottle, but i have got loads of roots, like most of them growing out the bottle neck and i have also got long roots growing out the holes i drilled, not sure why you not got much growth out of yours, possibly different growing medium as im using compost on its own, i didnt drill holes in the lid i left it off and my roots grew out of their, for the first few waters i had a bit of compost come out but as soon as the roots come out this tops, i wonder if your creating a sort of bottle neck by having the lid on mate, have you ever tried leaving the lid off or cant you using the medium you use

anyway my lid is off and my roots are growing out the hole very well and also i have got roots growing out the holes i drilled, and i have drilled less holes, id say about 8 at the most i have drilled out, my roots are growing out of these holes though, so i wonder if this is dependant on the growing medium, i didnt know i was meant to leave the lid on the bottle else i would of left it on, i thought you left it off for the roots to grow through without getting stuck, anyways it seems to work either way,

great guide mate, ill reps you if i can, that easy enough for anyone to follow even if they have not grown before, should get it posted in the how to section mate, or post a link to the guide under your signature as a lot of people do ask about this grow method, im impressed with the results but i got a long way to go yet,

Yeah I could see different strains working differently who knows. Leaving the lid off is a great ideas as long as the medium stays in the bottle I'm not sure if it would or not with perlite and vermiculite. I would have to touch it up a bit I were to post it in the how to section. Twleve12s blog post was a great start but left me with a few questions so I wrote it up and included the answers to my questions in there. I don't really know why the roots just barely poke out on the upper holes but never grew down into the reservoir, either way it worked out well. I can clearly see the hydro is kicking ass compared to the size of the hempy 2L. I would say nearly 40-50% larger around.

really that much difference, its gota be worth it then mate, when i poked my holes through it left the rough plastic inside the bottle attatched to where i poked the hole through, i wonder if that guided the roots through the holes and made them grow out them holes, i dont think leaving the lid of would make that much difference as long as the holes where big enough, i know my main root is pretty thick and wouldnt fit through small hole, so i think as long as their big enough they should be ok, but looking at the root mass you have got id say their is no problem with either method

Nice guide-- I would add that you shouldn't put the airstone in until the roots hit the res to try to encourage them out first.

Also, I have adopted your some pour through the top and some bottom fill the res combo, and it works better for me to help manage pH, as mine climbs above 7.2

ive not got ph meter yet so cant check mine, but i do half fill bottom then fill through the top over a couple of feeds, this seems to work and it keeps the moisture fresh in the grow medium, the plant seems to love it, i think their is something in this 2ltr dwc idea.

another grower run something past me yesterday and i thought id bring it over here, these plants are growing upwards and we restrict outwards growth and all the roots we heave growing in the res and not filling the pots up, so the suggestion was, would this work with 1ltr bottles as long as the res was deep enough, it would cut the area of grow used down and would mean more plants, but would it work, the plants dont need to grow outwards so would a 1ltr work better at preventing the side branches to grow out, as the wider the roots are the wider the plants gets, but in a 1ltr bottle the roots would have very little space to grow wide so they would have to grow down, i wonder if this would give more upwards growth and less sideways growth, it something i was discussing with another grower after he suggested it, i think as long as the res was deep enough for the root mass then i think it might just work and give the same or similar results, you got any views on this, i mean could it actually work and could it improve the results we are getting by restricting side ways growth.

this type of grow is new to me so i cant really comment, but it sounded like a good idea and possibly may improve the height and restrict the node shoots from growing any wider, would this work,

really that much difference, its gota be worth it then mate, when i poked my holes through it left the rough plastic inside the bottle attatched to where i poked the hole through, i wonder if that guided the roots through the holes and made them grow out them holes, i dont think leaving the lid of would make that much difference as long as the holes where big enough, i know my main root is pretty thick and wouldnt fit through small hole, so i think as long as their big enough they should be ok, but looking at the root mass you have got id say their is no problem with either method

Yeah it's really that big of a difference. On the smaller one I can fit my hand around it and touch my fingers and on the larger one if I put my hand around it my fingers are open about 1.5-2".

Nice guide-- I would add that you shouldn't put the airstone in until the roots hit the res to try to encourage them out first.

Also, I have adopted your some pour through the top and some bottom fill the res combo, and it works better for me to help manage pH, as mine climbs above 7.2

Yup thats a good idea and one I don't really know about because I didn't get my airstones for a few weeks after I started :) and that's crazy my pH is is set as soon as I place it into the reservoir and it never budges a single point.

ive not got ph meter yet so cant check mine, but i do half fill bottom then fill through the top over a couple of feeds, this seems to work and it keeps the moisture fresh in the grow medium, the plant seems to love it, i think their is something in this 2ltr dwc idea.

another grower run something past me yesterday and i thought id bring it over here, these plants are growing upwards and we restrict outwards growth and all the roots we heave growing in the res and not filling the pots up, so the suggestion was, would this work with 1ltr bottles as long as the res was deep enough, it would cut the area of grow used down and would mean more plants, but would it work, the plants dont need to grow outwards so would a 1ltr work better at preventing the side branches to grow out, as the wider the roots are the wider the plants gets, but in a 1ltr bottle the roots would have very little space to grow wide so they would have to grow down, i wonder if this would give more upwards growth and less sideways growth, it something i was discussing with another grower after he suggested it, i think as long as the res was deep enough for the root mass then i think it might just work and give the same or similar results, you got any views on this, i mean could it actually work and could it improve the results we are getting by restricting side ways growth.

this type of grow is new to me so i cant really comment, but it sounded like a good idea and possibly may improve the height and restrict the node shoots from growing any wider, would this work,

You need to get a pH meter bro! Your soil plants are probably hating your right now because I'm sure the pH is way way wayyyyyyyyyyy to low for them. If your mixing up a gallon at a time you should be good for the hydro because it will generally get to the perfect pH for hydro without adding any pH up/down. As far as the 1L I don't really have problems with the plant getting wide and if I did then I'd just snip that part off but the only problem I see with a smaller reservoir is the temps getting to hot inside the res. As temperature rises oxygen levels go down so not really a good trade off?

im on the case mate, ill try and get ph this weekend, but i got bigger problems than that mate, i got fungus gnats or something running around in the soil i killed all the ones i seen and sifted through the loose compost and killed them all, for now i have covered the pots with news paper and sealed it all up so all thats coming out the paper is the stem of the plant, im hoping this will stop them getting in and the ones in their getting out, ive not seen any since doing this but its only been an hour or more, im trying to get some stuff tomorrow to get rid of them for good, hoping they not having a feast and eating all my roots, i put some pics up and i need some advice on the leaves on the kush plant, the lower leaves are looking light green to yellow, but to me it looks how all plants look when in flower, the bud leaves and fan leaves on the buds are as they should be, these are all the lower leaves that are resting on the edge of the pot, the inner leaves died as they got no light, but these get some light so hoping its to do with the life cycle of the kush plant, my nl x bb is not doing the same so im hoping thats what it is

Here's the little sensi star from this morning till tonight.... doing pretty good, better then the last one I think... @donpaul I'll be over tomorrow and try and help you out I have company over tonight and I thought I would just post this real fast... Have you gotten any ideas to fix your problem?

Screen_Shot_2012-05-25_at_9_11_41_PM.png

im onto the case me thinks, late last night before the lights went off i covered the top of the pot in newspaper and sealed it round the edges and the plant growing out the middle, i basically wrapped the top of the pot like an xmas present, with no gaps flys to get in and out, i then closed the door, i only managed to get fly papers today, but when i opened the door before i went out i never seen any flying around, so hoping its under control

did you find out what happen to the first one, did it have root problem or just fell over and broke,

im onto the case me thinks, late last night before the lights went off i covered the top of the pot in newspaper and sealed it round the edges and the plant growing out the middle, i basically wrapped the top of the pot like an xmas present, with no gaps flys to get in and out, i then closed the door, i only managed to get fly papers today, but when i opened the door before i went out i never seen any flying around, so hoping its under control

did you find out what happen to the first one, did it have root problem or just fell over and broke,

Ok glad your doing something to work on it. I was just over at your journal. The last little seedling i tried to help it out and prop it up and it snapped right at the base of the stem. This little ones doing pretty good just has its first blade leaves though.

more of an acident then and less of a growth problem, the difference in them 2 pictures shows you got a strong plant mate, looks good at this early stage, seems to have changed pretty quick

more of an acident then and less of a growth problem, the difference in them 2 pictures shows you got a strong plant mate, looks good at this early stage, seems to have changed pretty quick

Yeah it seems to be doing well, I know a little more on how to take care of it in the RR now then I did the previous time so it should be good to go..

Here it is today (from day before yesterday to today):

5:shhh:12-5:loopy:12.png

I'll have some more pics up shortly of my 2Ls.

K here's the two Purple Kush 2L's flowering day 45... You can see in the second photos of each one how much bigger then hydro 2L is compared to the hempy (perlite/vermiculite), you hempy guys do you flush during the grow at all?

Taller/fatter PK (I think about 20"):

IMG_13778.jpg

IMG_137811.jpg

Shorter PK (13" bud):

IMG_13798.jpg

IMG_13807.jpg

Side-by-side comparison from 5/22/12-5/27/12

Screen_Shot_2012-05-27_at_10_08_56_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2012-05-27_at_10_09_40_AM.png

pretty much doubled in size width wise by the looks of it, really packing on the bud now, mine are still forming, im getting some long branches lower down my 2ltr hempie now mate, possibly 3 inches long, but well in flower, is it worth taking them off or just leave them, id have the 2 3inch branches with buds, the 2 above it are 1inch long with buds and the other 3 or 4 nodes above are budding at the stem so they shouldnt grow much.

you may of read i have been having huge problems, it seems my soil drains way to quick, all my leaves looked dying and i didnt know what it was, so when i watered them last night i noticed it came out as quick as i put it in, so i placed the pots in dishes and watered and it filled the bowls, over night when the lights where off they must of drank all the water, so it looks like everytime i had fed them i had been flushing everything out the soil, so when i opened the door today and saw the fan leaves stretching for the light and not looking so yellow, then i looked at the buds and they pretty much doubled in size, so im thinking any longer and i would of lost them, i got to them just in time me thinks, now they look amazing again

pretty much doubled in size width wise by the looks of it, really packing on the bud now, mine are still forming, im getting some long branches lower down my 2ltr hempie now mate, possibly 3 inches long, but well in flower, is it worth taking them off or just leave them, id have the 2 3inch branches with buds, the 2 above it are 1inch long with buds and the other 3 or 4 nodes above are budding at the stem so they shouldnt grow much.

you may of read i have been having huge problems, it seems my soil drains way to quick, all my leaves looked dying and i didnt know what it was, so when i watered them last night i noticed it came out as quick as i put it in, so i placed the pots in dishes and watered and it filled the bowls, over night when the lights where off they must of drank all the water, so it looks like everytime i had fed them i had been flushing everything out the soil, so when i opened the door today and saw the fan leaves stretching for the light and not looking so yellow, then i looked at the buds and they pretty much doubled in size, so im thinking any longer and i would of lost them, i got to them just in time me thinks, now they look amazing again

Well actually the first pic is of the taller PK and the second pic is the smaller PK plant. So the girth of them are two different plants, but the first one is hydro and the second one is hempy. That's sucky your having quite a few problems lately how are things now? Instead of doing so many different plants maybe you should consider 1 or 2 plant hydro SCROG. The yield would be real nice and would maximize the yield with your 400w. I'm this little seedling is going to be a 6 sq/ft SCROG in a 5 gallon DWC.

Good stuff... getting closer! When is harvest time?

Thanks :) ummmm well its day 46 but it doesn't even look like they're getting close. I haven't looked at the trichs yet but the pistils are sticking straight out and real white, none of them have started curling back or changed color in anyway. I'm thinking I'll let them go longer then the other ones until there actually is a bunch of amber. This is the highest indica strain I have grown so far (well it's pure inidica) so I figured I'll let it go on the longer side of things.. Who knows it could turn pretty quick here!

Damn she looks good. Do you have water in the bottom of that little pot? How often are you drenching the cube?

Thank you! It's in a rapid rooter which is made from tree bark I believe. Twice a day a take a bottle of eater and squirt just a little bit of water on it and below it a squirt a little water in the tray. The rooting is amazing with these rapid rooters! The tap roots sticking out about two inches now and there is probably 20-30 small roots sticking out all around the RR and it's just 3 days old.

Back
Top Bottom