THC Bomb - 1000W MH/HPS Air-Cooled - Oxyponics Pro Six - 5x5 Indoor

Re: THC Bomb, 1kW MH/HPS air-cooled, Oxyponics Pro Six, 5x5 indoor

Day 39 (from seed)

Seedling chosen to be mother plant.

068_mother_day39fromseed.JPG

069_mother_day39.JPG

070_mother_closeup_day39.JPG

Double decker porta-scrogs in the grow/bloom tent. I may even make them triple decker's.

072_bi-level_portascrogs.JPG

073_bi-level_portascrog_closeup.JPG

Day 41

075_mother_day41.JPG

076_mother_day41.JPG

077_mother_closeup_day41.JPG

078_mother_roots_day41.JPG

Any recommendations on which cloning gel to use? Preferably one made for use with food crops.

Day 42

079_mother_day42.JPG

080_mother_day42.JPG

081_mother_closeup_day42.JPG

082_mother_roots_day42.JPG

It seemed like a natural progression: triple-decker portascrogs.

THCBomb is supposed to be a shorter plant, so I thought the lower screen might be as important as the top screen.

Again, thanks go to 420magazine member Vick074 for the idea and basic design.

083_triple-decker_portascrogs.JPG

086_triple-decker_portascrogs.JPG

It seemed like a natural progression: triple-decker portascrogs.

THCBomb is supposed to be a shorter plant, so I thought the lower screen might be as important as the top screen.

Again, thanks go to 420magazine member Vick074 for the idea and basic design.

083_triple-decker_portascrogs.JPG

086_triple-decker_portascrogs.JPG

Hi Gardener, I answered in my other journal but thought I'd post my opinion here as well.
:cheesygrinsmiley:

Hey Gardener,

Stoked to see someone build on my porta scrog idea!
I really like what I'm seeing, I'm just not sure having nets on every tear is necessary.
The original premise for the porta scrog was to have the perfectly even spaced out area of tops ( like a scrog gives) But more than anything, to have the ability to move the plants, take them out of the space individually when and if needed. Plus to basically have the ease of a normal single potted plant, and scrog combined. Most people who have done and do scrogs, all complain of the amount of work that is needed to maintain the underside of the canopy in a tent or small grow space. When all plants are intertwined into the same screen, it's there til the end. Crawling underneath can be a total PITA, I've helped work on a few friend's and let me tell you, it's a real work out on the ol back. ouch!
The thing that concerns me about your set up, is it looks like you're going to be running a top fed (RDWC) recirculating deep water culture system. So your pots aren't really movable anyway. Meaning you can't spin them, or even remove them from the tent unless the whole system is drained and disconnected. So my question is this:
Knowing that you had limited mobility with your pots in the first place, why wouldn't you just decide to put one big screen over top?
I like the idea of the tomato cages on each pot, but then a large screen on top of them all? You could use the cages to organize and space everything out accordingly, (pipe cleaner ties, hooks, clips etc.) then when they reach the screen, tuck and fill..
Because if you can't move them out to work on them, how are you going to get in the far back there to be tucking unless your a little ninja.

Please don't get me wrong, I love that you're trying to incorporate them into your settup.
I'm just thinking about the practicality of it all.
Does this make any sense?

Hi Gardener, I answered in my other journal but thought I'd post my opinion here as well.
:cheesygrinsmiley:

Hey Gardener,

Stoked to see someone build on my porta scrog idea!
I really like what I'm seeing, I'm just not sure having nets on every tear is necessary.
The original premise for the porta scrog was to have the perfectly even spaced out area of tops ( like a scrog gives) But more than anything, to have the ability to move the plants, take them out of the space individually when and if needed. Plus to basically have the ease of a normal single potted plant, and scrog combined. Most people who have done and do scrogs, all complain of the amount of work that is needed to maintain the underside of the canopy in a tent or small grow space. When all plants are intertwined into the same screen, it's there til the end. Crawling underneath can be a total PITA, I've helped work on a few friend's and let me tell you, it's a real work out on the ol back. ouch!
The thing that concerns me about your set up, is it looks like you're going to be running a top fed (RDWC) recirculating deep water culture system. So your pots aren't really movable anyway. Meaning you can't spin them, or even remove them from the tent unless the whole system is drained and disconnected. So my question is this:
Knowing that you had limited mobility with your pots in the first place, why wouldn't you just decide to put one big screen over top?
I like the idea of the tomato cages on each pot, but then a large screen on top of them all? You could use the cages to organize and space everything out accordingly, (pipe cleaner ties, hooks, clips etc.) then when they reach the screen, tuck and fill..
Because if you can't move them out to work on them, how are you going to get in the far back there to be tucking unless your a little ninja.

Please don't get me wrong, I love that you're trying to incorporate them into your settup.
I'm just thinking about the practicality of it all.
Does this make any sense?

Perfect sense. And of course I don't get you wrong, I'm definitely asking for constructive criticisms. But I'm hoping there are a few, very fair and reasonable, misconceptions about my system (Stealth Hydroponics' Oxyponics Six).

087_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

Though the system is not a top feed, still you are correct that it is designed to be stationary. But I've added quick-release connections to every hose so I actually can move the buckets. (Hmm... to every hose but the air hoses...)

088_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

Each scrog is separate from and independent of the others. I can move them out of the tent one by one and work on them.

089_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

While I can spin the plants in the tent by spinning the net-pot-lids, it is true that I would not be able to spin them inside the tent while these scrogs were attached to them.

And though I can remove the plants from the tent with relative ease by picking them up by the net-pot-lids, it probably would be very awkward with the scrogs attached to them. However, because of the quick-releases I added, I can remove each entire grow bucket by simply disconnecting the hose (and then screwing a cap on the line).

090_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

I have more mobility than the system style would suggest; and the tent has side windows for the rear side plants. The center rear plant would be most easily accessible if I first removed the center front plant, but that's all it would take: disconnect the hose between the grow site & the control bucket, lift two inches and remove.

No one would suspect a system like this of being as mobile as I've tried to make it. Have I been able change your view any? I surely value your input, and am grateful for it. I'll duplicate this response in your journal, for continuity.

Day 44

Last night when the mother's tent was moved a few feet, the light timer was accidentally set to ON. She got an extra 12+ hours of light, and this evening looks a bit droopy. Might any irreparable damage have been done?

091_mother_day44.JPG

092_oops_left_light_on_extra_12_hrs_overnight.JPG

093_mother_closeup_day44.JPG

Perfect sense. And of course I don't get you wrong, I'm definitely asking for constructive criticisms. But I'm hoping there are a few, very fair and reasonable, misconceptions about my system (Stealth Hydroponics' Oxyponics Six).

087_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

Though the system is not a top feed, still you are correct that it is designed to be stationary. But I've added quick-release connections to every hose so I actually can move the buckets. (Hmm... to every hose but the air hoses...)

088_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

Each scrog is separate from and independent of the others. I can move them out of the tent one by one and work on them.

089_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

While I can spin the plants in the tent by spinning the net-pot-lids, it is true that I would not be able to spin them inside the tent while these scrogs were attached to them.

And though I can remove the plants from the tent with relative ease by picking them up by the net-pot-lids, it probably would be very awkward with the scrogs attached to them. However, because of the quick-releases I added, I can remove each entire grow bucket by simply disconnecting the hose (and then screwing a cap on the line).

090_bucket_mobility_via_quick-connects.JPG

I have more mobility than the system style would suggest; and the tent has side windows for the rear side plants. The center rear plant would be most easily accessible if I first removed the center front plant, but that's all it would take: disconnect the hose between the grow site & the control bucket, lift two inches and remove.

No one would suspect a system like this of being as mobile as I've tried to make it. Have I been able change your view any? I surely value your input, and am grateful for it. I'll duplicate this response in your journal, for continuity.

You most definitely have changed my view with that response.
I had no idea that those systems have become so versatile!
Totally makes sense, move the one in the front middle out? and you can pretty much access every other plant in the tent, and then of course I forgot about coming through the flaps:;):
Now I'm more excited than ever to see how these work for you!
I'll be watching!
:thumb:

Day 44

Last night when the mother's tent was moved a few feet, the light timer was accidentally set to ON. She got an extra 12+ hours of light, and this evening looks a bit droopy. Might any irreparable damage have been done?

091_mother_day44.JPG

092_oops_left_light_on_extra_12_hrs_overnight.JPG

093_mother_closeup_day44.JPG

No damage has been done.
Better to have more than 12 hours of light, than to have less when in veg.
Some people veg 24 hours, and although I believe plants need SOME dark, others have had luck with it. So I wouldn't worry.
Other than them looking a little hot under the collar from their extra time in the sun, they'll be fine.

You most definitely have changed my view with that response.
I had no idea that those systems have become so versatile!
Totally makes sense, move the one in the front middle out? and you can pretty much access every other plant in the tent, and then of course I forgot about coming through the flaps:;):
Now I'm more excited than ever to see how these work for you!
I'll be watching!
:thumb:

Delighted!

Usually a SCROG screen is placed 12" above the medium to allow for defoliation below the screen.

The three tiers now are at 8, 19 and 30 inches above the medium.

Do you feel that I should remove the lowest tier and shorten the legs by six inches to give me a lower screen at 12" above medium(, and an upper screen at 24" above medium)?

I've not used a ScrOG before.

Perhaps a second tier isn't necessary at all? But in my mind's eye when the plants are say 12" tall they are positioned in the lower screen, and as they grow the next twelve inches during veg they finally are positioned in the upper screen. I had simply gone a step further and placed a screen to begin training them almost immediately.

Defoliation is another thing I did not do in my one, and only, previous grow. Keep in mind that I actually can remove each plant, while in it's own individual portaScrOG, to work on them from all angles.

Day 45 (from seed)

Weekly flush/fill: 2mL per L of Advanced Nutrients' pH Perfect Sensi Grow (half strength nutes)

The first time she's had more than quarter strength nutes.

In one week she's grown out so many new shoots.

And when she finally gives me six good recruits,

A porta-ScrOG setup will control their routes.

Untill then I'm pleased with the growth of the roots,

And the good fortune to have YOU in cahoots.

Salutes!

094_mother_day45.JPG

095_mother_day45.JPG

096_mother_closeup_day45.JPG

097_mother_roots_day45.JPG

Day 46 (from seed)

098_mother_day46.JPG

099_mother_day46.JPG

100_mother_close_day46.JPG

101_mother_closer_day46.JPG

102_mother_lower_leaf_day46.JPG

Day 47

103_mother_day47.JPG

104_mother_day47.JPG

105_mother_closeup_day47.JPG

The three tiers now are at 8, 19 and 30 inches above the medium.

Do you feel that I should remove the lowest tier and shorten the legs by six inches to give me a lower screen at 12" above medium(, and an upper screen at 24" above medium)?

I've not used a ScrOG before.

Perhaps a second tier isn't necessary at all? But in my mind's eye when the plants are say 12" tall they are positioned in the lower screen, and as they grow the next twelve inches during veg they finally are positioned in the upper screen. I had simply gone a step further and placed a screen to begin training them almost immediately.

Defoliation is another thing I did not do in my one, and only, previous grow. Keep in mind that I actually can remove each plant, while in it's own individual portaScrOG, to work on them from all angles.

I am just not sure what advantage having a third level would give you. With the first screen set at 12" you would be able to defoliate easily.

I am just not sure what advantage having a third level would give you. With the first screen set at 12" you would be able to defoliate easily.

I've not defoliated before, so maybe I'm underestimating the clearance I need, but if 12" is ideal, I still figure I can make do in 8". These THCB's may never even reach the top screen, and in that case it would basically only have two screens; as if the top one didn't even exist.

Since I've already made them, I'm tempted to just see how they work. Call it the path of least resistance. Unless you really do think it's likely to become a major nuisance, as I do respect and desire the benefit of your experience and knowledge.

Day 48

106_mother_day48.JPG

107_mother_day48.JPG

108_mother_sunleaf_day48.JPG

109_mother_closeup_day48.JPG

Back
Top Bottom