5x5 Tent - 1KW Air-Cooled - Oxyponics - First Grow

Questions answered:

1. Secret Jardin Darkroom tent. Holds 60 pounds.
2. First grow, never used Advanced Nutrients before... never used anything before.
3. Magnum XXXL 6" sealed air-cooled reflector from Sunlight Supply.

Hi there,
I got a similar setup, (identical almost, so similar pmsl, this weed is good)
how is yours getting on and what tips you gonna give me through experiance
FX

Damn man at least you got what seems to be a nice setup to start your plants in.

That filter seems like extreme overkill for a 5by5 room though :D

GL and hope you get some seeds or clones soon :).

Questions answered, comments:

1. Few useful tips to give, no experience yet.
2. PPM meter, yes. Early start on journal, yes.
3. Filter overkill, yes- the manufacturer agrees with you. Clones in the next few weeks,hopefully.

Nothing's perfect.

This is an aweful lot of equipment for such a small tent though. Is there going to be room for plants still lol?

My 4 by 4 tent is packed wall to wall after just 1.5 months with 8 plants and I have no equipment inside it.

Trying to decide between these two controller units:

C.A.P. Xtreme Greenhouse Controller
XGC-1e
R & M Supply, Inc. - C.A.P. Xtreme Greenhouse Controller

and

CHHC-4 Cooling Heating Humidity and CO2 Controller
CO2 PPM Controllers « Global Product Solutions, LLC

One of them times the lights, and the other has remote sensors. Anyone have suggestions based on experience?

Hi Newhydro,

I did a lot of research and settled on the CHHC -4. I found it worked well controlling temperature, humidity and CO2. I ran a separate fan on my 1k light, but turned it down with a canarm fan control and timer. The fan was on when the light was on. It's primary purpose was to expell the heat generated by the lamp. The second fan was tied to the CHHC-4 controller and came on when humidity or temperature exceeded presets. You will be able to interlock these functions so the CO2 stops injecting when the exhaust fan is running. I found, a tank of CO2 lasted 45 days on average. You will need to pay attention to that. If you are using CO2 you will be able to run higher temps with favourable results, but if you run out, the CHHC -4 will not be able to tell and adjust temps accordingly. If you have a problem with the unit, their customer service is second to none. I had a brand new unit crap out 2 weeks in. I emailed them on a Sunday afternoon and had a response 20 mins later. As I am pretty handy, they shipped a new part overnight and a few days later it was back up and running. The few days was because I was busy and didn't get right to it. The part was here the next day. Never had a problem since. I can say the controller really helped keeps conditions in check. Since then, I purchased an Iponic 600 controller as it will automate many more processes and really isnt that much more money than the CHHC4. I haven't used it yet but plan to in my next grow.

Replies:

1. A lot of equipment in a small space, I agree. I even thought about adding a dehumidifier! The equipment shrinks my 5x5 to 3½x5.

2. CHHC-4, huh? Thanks for responding. But later the Iponic? Why not just another Sentinel? What more processes did you automate? I only need three by my count: lights, AC, CO2. Perhaps humidity as a fourth.

Thanks.

If I was you id figure out a way to have all that stuff high up in the top of the tent so you can grow in the full 5x5

Otherwise you are spending all this money to grow like 2 plants :(.

If you want an idea on how to do that you can just make a galvanized steel frame with some sort of hangers or shelving. The tent would still use the junky frame it comes with but this new hardcore frame would sit just inside the tent with its frame going up along the walls of the tent. That way you could hang your lights, your fans, your controllers, your A/C your filter, and w/e you got up top and the entire floor can be all plants. Plus then you dont gotta worry about lights crashing on your babies.

Hell a steel frame would be so tough you could let a bunch of pet monkeys live inside your grow tent to swing from the poles. After all who dosent want a pet monkey to guard their weed?

cricket:
The weight capacity of my tent is my weakest link. And I've thought about the second frame for hanging the filter... but never thought of hanging the AC. For now... I can fit my 6 buckets in the 3½x5. It's like a 4x4 with nothing in it. 17sq'. But I definitely envy your clean (high tech) grow room!

If I was you id figure out a way to have all that stuff high up in the top of the tent so you can grow in the full 5x5

Otherwise you are spending all this money to grow like 2 plants :(.

If you want an idea on how to do that you can just make a galvanized steel frame with some sort of hangers or shelving. The tent would still use the junky frame it comes with but this new hardcore frame would sit just inside the tent with its frame going up along the walls of the tent. That way you could hang your lights, your fans, your controllers, your A/C your filter, and w/e you got up top and the entire floor can be all plants. Plus then you dont gotta worry about lights crashing on your babies.

Hell a steel frame would be so tough you could let a bunch of pet monkeys live inside your grow tent to swing from the poles. After all who dosent want a pet monkey to guard their weed?

This is definately a good idea! They should have that as an option when you buy a tent.

off to a very different kind of start, i would make sure to hang some stuff up high somehow, or get a bigger tent and use that one for a veg area or clones etc, i have 2 tents and 8 plants completely wall to wall plants im having to chop mother plants weekly just to have a little space for vegging clones ,my tents are 4x3x5 and 3x2x5
i have nothing on the floor except plants, im sure you can add support beams or something,
and think about putting some equipment outside the tent ,it all makes heat, things change after you get plants in there putting off humidity gasses etc, and you might need room to work on things , i thought i would bot really have space issues with 2 tents boy was i wrong its my number 1 problem,
they need space for airflow ,light reflection, cramped plants are unhappy and grow funny, disease will spread to them all in a ny minute if 1 gets sick same for bugs, you have some great equipment, and the potential for a great grow,
hate to see it go bad over a space issue! so what strains have you thought about? indica? sativa? maybe we can suggest some if your not sure, i would say stick with indica and indica hybrids, due to the sativa stretch, well good luck hope this helps:thumb:

Hey newhydrohobby, this is looking like you are starting similarly to the way I did - by over-spending! Seriously, though, you have everything you need to get started, so germinate some seeds and get the green going - time is the one thing you can never get back.

I too have a Secret Jardin for my first grow - check out my grow journal at the link below - and really like it. Unfortunately, it is a discontinued model - they don't make that size anymore, so I have to buy a larger tent and move my existing one by a few inches just so the new one will fit right next to it; that way, I'll be able to integrate the exhaust ports with the same 240-CFM fan that I have going up an unused chimney port and maybe even expand the hydro nutrient system too.

I have had pretty good luck for having put 12 different strains in a common system, but I will never do that again if I have the choice. I have 5 different strains in a 35-place cloner I just made, so I won't have the luxury of being that picky for the foreseeable future.

If I can offer some advice, if I were you I would try to relocate that AC unit outside of the tent because of the space it occupies and the heat it will generate just from running. I run a remote aquarium filter external to my tent and have enough extra tubing in a loop that I can immerse in a cooler full of ice if the nutrient temp gets too high - and only if adding frozen nutrient solution ice cubes doesn't do the trick. You can probably also relocate the filter by using a large cardboard Sonitube concrete form as an air chamber to run the filter in - or by reversing the flow and using it to scrub the exhausted air.

I had heard that the support bars were a weak link in these tents, so I got one extra so I could have one to support each of the three 200-watt CFL fixtures. The nice folks at Worm's Way were able to provide me with an extra roof fixture support pole for my own tent because they have extra components; all they needed was the correct model number and a sad story of how my original was missing a pole. They first sent me the wrong size, so I have some extras to play with now. You might contact the place where you purchased your tent to see whether they might be able to help you in the same way - it can't hurt to try!

I would also recommend planning the space utilization; your configuration should reflect the kind of grow you are going to go with as well as how many plants - and what kind, because the Sativas can get tall and the Indicas get fat. Vegged plants can easily double in size after switching to flowering mode, so planning the vertical space is critical too.

If you haven't purchased an environment/CO2 controller yet, I am in the same position as you and have found on Amazon what I think is the best temperature/humidity/CO2 controller for the money - it saves the CO2 by allowing you to set the time intervals and delays exhausting the tent until after the CO2 has an opportunity to do its job. It is a C.A.P. Model #AIR-3DN and is available for $142.05 + Free Shipping.

1667118235018.png

If I don't get that, I will probably spring for a C.A.P. Model #CGC-1e Complete Greenhouse Controller that will replace both my light and pump timers; it costs a bit more but does so much - pretty good at $329.99 + Free Shipping.

1667118249834.png

The only thing these units do not have is an actual CO2 PPM meter/controller, so these are used to control a solenoid-powered CO2 tank valve on a timed cycle basis rather than by the concentration of CO2 molecules.

Best of luck - I am subbed!

:goodjob:

responses:
The AC I have has to sit inside the space, as it puts cold air out the front of unit... hoses are for intake through filter & exhaust. The filter/pre-filter works one-way only...it won't work outside the tent either. Do I want a bigger stronger tent? Maybe next year.

For now, 6 buckets will fit in the remaining 17 sq' nicely.

Desire to get Sativa clones. Aware of stretch, plan to LST.

You may want/need to seal up the back exaust hose on your a/c with duct tape to give it a good solid connection and not have some of the hot air seeping back in the room. At least thats my experience with one of those portable a/c.

As for using Sativa clones, right on brother. I much prefer sativa myself.

Although I have some LSTing Chem D in my tent which are like 60% sativa 40% indica. And after 7 weeks from coming home from the clone store one of the Chem D is 3.5 feet wide, by 2 feet deep and about 2.5 feet tall. So even though I avoided her growing too tall she is quickly taking over. Not that I am complaining as I hear the Chem D gots the bomb smoke.

comments, reluctant conclusion:
The exhaust hose is long enough to vent away from the tent, and the tent has drawstring sock vents.

A short but 3.5 ft x 2 ft plant from lst? And I was just reading Rosenthal's Handbook... and of course the comments in this thread...

...I really am overcrowding 6 plants. I really do only have room for about 2 large plants. I just plain don't have enough space in this apartment to upgrade to a bigger tent. And I already have my Oxyponic 6.

The AC and filter have to be inside. If I put the control bucket outside the tent (which I probably should have, but I didn't want 6 hoses going into the tent) and build a frame to hang the filter I still have a huge AC in the corner.

Well, I think I'll just grow 6 smaller plants. I'll LST, but just a little? Veg for just a few weeks instead of months.

Back
Top Bottom