day 78 (day 48 of flower)
trimmed some of the dry crunchy nute-burned leaves off

IMG_20130104_113456.jpg
IMG_20130104_113537.jpg

day 81 (day 51 of flower)
IMG_20130107_185940.jpg
IMG_20130107_185833.jpg
IMG_20130107_185817.jpg

whats your ph during daytime and after 4 hrs of dark. and also your tds/ec.
just curious. i go up to 6.5 to 6.8 duing flowering. on purpose. :idea:
also do not take anymore leaf off inless it is crumbly. there is alot of nutes and micro minerals in your plants..no need to stress them again.that grow can finish really strong. just going to be longer.

The trich's have a slight mushroom head now, but are still clear. I'm going to pull them when the trich's begin to cloud. Probably by next Friday.

I'll hang them whole in 55%rH for three or four weeks, then trim, and then jar them for several more weeks.

use a fan if at 55% rh trim as the leaf crumbles when drying. if done slow enough 21 days to 28 days.you wont have to jar at all. i would wait another 2 to 3 weeks. then harvest. just put pics up every 2 to 3 days and tell us the color of the tricomes and the mushroom heads. they really do get big.

I'm not going to harvest over two weeks late. That sounds like terrible advice.

Watching the color of the trichomes, I'm looking for clear to cloudy, or perhaps the slightest hint that it is turning amber. Then I harvest. If that happens to take three weeks...okay (that's not what I've read to expect). But I don't want amber trichomes: I've read here on 420magazine.com that amber trichomes give the bud a couch-lock property I want to avoid. I'm after the head high, not the body high right now.

Perhaps I'll harvest one plant a little late? Hmmm. Thanks for the idea gairbud.

Hey bunches. Yeah, the trichome thing is very much personal preference but a good indication of when to harvest, depending on what you want.

I tend to go with you in that I don't like lots of couch lock so I tend to harvest when the trichs are mostly cloudy with some amber (5-10%). There is a lot of debate about when it's best to harvest but the general consensus seems to be that when most are clear it's still a bit early - you'll still get a cerebral high when they're cloudy but the buds will pack on quite a bit of weight between the trichs being clear and when they get cloudy / some turning amber.

I wouldn't rely too much on the seed co's harvest time recommendation - I've always found it can be a week or two later than recommended - I think they give an absolute best case, what's possible scenario, rather than what the majority would do. The time will also vary depending on conditions, the plant's genetics etc.

Base your decision on when to harvest on the trichs basically, rather than what the seed co says. You could also pick small buds and quick dry them to see how the stone's progressing, and then harvest when it gives you what you want. A little bit of amber won't hurt and you'll still get a nice uplifting high but it can make quite a difference in the weight of the final yield vs the majority of trichs still being clear.

Well... there's two people both suggesting that a week or two longer than what I've read may be advantageous in terms of weight.

I still will cut them when I see amber in the trichomes...

I'm certainly excited about the prospect of more weight :party:

So after initially rejecting the idea, I suspect I may be waiting an extra few weeks to harvest, but gaining weight while I wait. I'm watching those trichomes, and it's a shame I don't have a camera fit to take better photos for the blog.

day 83 (day 53 of flower)
clear trichomes
IMG_20130109_165615.jpg
IMG_20130109_165655.jpg

clear means still growing tricomes especailly if spiking looking. milky/yellow[or colored some strains have color in tricomes] so over 80% should be milky/yellow with huge mushroom heads on them less then 15% dark tricomes amber, red ect. depends on strain. less then 5% clear. some times a power strain is 95% yellow/milky with 5% dark. and big mushroom heads. dont wait for bracs to get too fat. alot of growers like fat brac buds. they lose 1/2 the high duration when too much tricomes get dark. too early is quik uppity high, to late is short couch[downer high] in the middle or close to end is best. the diference between bud that goes 1 to 3 hrs off a toke or 2 and 5 to 8 hrs off a toke or 2. tricome maturity is the most important thing to learn after knowing how the plant grows. if ya know how to manipulate the plant in maturing tricomes you can harvest early imature bud that will blow the compition away. most dont know the tricks. but they are simple .

Well... there's two people both suggesting that a week or two longer than what I've read may be advantageous in terms of weight.

I still will cut them when I see amber in the trichomes...

I'm certainly excited about the prospect of more weight :party:

So after initially rejecting the idea, I suspect I may be waiting an extra few weeks to harvest, but gaining weight while I wait. I'm watching those trichomes, and it's a shame I don't have a camera fit to take better photos for the blog.

Just a suggestion but something I did on my last grow which seemed to work was as soon as i saw some amber trichs, that's when I started the flush. I then had a 10 day flush and when I harvested there was still less than 10% amber and it was a nice cerebral stone, very little to no couch lock. Strain does play a factor of course!

I'm not even sure I'm going to flush. I've read here that it's a long time to leave plants without food, and as far as flavor goes: it's less about the flush and more about the cure. Anyway I'm only using 1/3 nutes and topping off with plain water every day, planning to drop down to 1/4 nutes on the next flush/fill, so the chemical effect should be minimal.

Fair enough mate. In hydro you can get away with a shorter flush (5-7 days) and the plants do have energy reserves they'll use up so they dont go completely without food, but its personal preference to be honest and not a prerequisite for good bud.
You can always quick dry and test some; if there are too many ferts in the plant the ash on a spliff will tend to burn black rather than grey and may crackle a bit when smoked. Your harvest window will probably be a few days to a week so if you don't like the test smoke you can always start a flush for a few days and the bud is unlikely to suddenly turn into full on couch lock in that time.

day 84 (day 54 of flower)
1/4 nutes
~70-75f
chiller 66f
40%rH
pH dropping between weekly flush/fill, adding water daily
lower buds pale and underdeveloped, thinking of larger tent to improve light distribution (5'x9'??)

IMG_20130110_221947.jpg

cuttings day 55 in cloner

IMG_20130110_220712.jpg
IMG_20130110_220735.jpg

Thinking seriously about a Gorilla Grow Tent 5x9 with a single foot-high zipper-on extension taking it to 7'11" high. Is 5x9 overkill for six plants in two rows of three? That gives them each a 3'x2.5' area (7.5sq'). I'm thinking of using two 600w lights. Enough?

day 85 (day 55 of flower)
OG Kush from clones
clear trichomes

IMG_20130111_165744.jpg
IMG_20130111_165857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom