17 Sq' Oxyponics - 1KW AC - 1st Grow

No, I just mean that within a weeks time the res level has dropped... but no more so than before I increased the nutes.

I'll check my pH level mid-week, maybe top off with some plain water.

Thanks. (website won't let me rep you)

day 75 (day 45 of flower)

Yesterday I added about 4 gallons of plain water (no pH Down) ...today's midweek pH check reveals a pH of 5.3 (not my target 5.8)

From what Green Knight writes above I know that my plants are using more water than nutes, thereby making the solution more acidic and have a lower pH.

Proposed solutions:
...go back to 1/3 nutes
...top off daily with plain water (which is what I'm doing this week)

I did not have these burned leaves... dry and crunchy... until I went from 1/3 nutes to 1/2.
IMG_20130101_095047.jpg

Not all of them are dry, just some.
IMG_20130101_095115.jpg

The more powerful dehumidifier is new as well, and could account for 2-3 gallons per day of water usage from the solution.

... adding about eight gallons of water brings my pH back up to 5.7

Also to me it looks like signs of over feeding. The leaves are really dark green and are curling down. You should probably dilute your res with more plain water and not go as heavy next change.

"Yeah, you know, it's hot too."

Curled down leaves. Well, it must be the increase from 1/3 nutes to 1/2, then.

whats your ppm's at? How many ml's of nutrients do you per gallon of water? or do you use teaspoons of nutes per gallon of water? I cant imagine that usng half the recommended amounts would burn them like that, whats the temps in your resivoir? Hope you get it figured out bunches

I don't have a PPM meter.

about 60 gallons

was using 200mL, now using 400mL

chiller set to 66f

I think I've got it figured out.
I'm pretty sure it's the higher nutes that burned my plants.
I'm topping off every day now about 8 gallons to raise my pH to 5.8 again... but the res is getting full now. In fact, I just drained the res some to make room for fresh water.

cuttings day 47 in cloner

Two, maaaaybe three more weeks till I put these girls in their new home. They're ready for a change.

IMG_20130102_065801.jpg
IMG_20130102_065813.jpg

we've got opposite probs my clones dont want to wake up and yours dont want to slow down lol. Get a ppm meter even a cheapo off of the auction site for maybe 25-35 bucks, that way you know for sure what its at all the time, cant imagine 1/2 strength would fry them like that but who knows for sure with out the meter.

I was checking AN's nute calculator and it sounds like you were using a safe amount as long as there wasn't a bunch of ppms building up like an accumulation type thing? I hope you get it figured out, I'm pretty sure you will. with a ppm meter you can check to see what your ppm of water is at before you add the food. Dont give up, you'll get it

A PPM meter only costs $25 new at my local hydro store, I meant to have one; I guess I missed it.

I'm not worried about the burn, I've got it figured out: there was no burn before I raised the nutes. I'll just top off daily this week with water, then after flush & fill I'll go back to 1/3 nutes.

If that doesn't solve it- then maybe I worry.

thats a long time in the cloner. as soon as i get roots i plant. and they take off. i have kept mother plant clones longer but never the main grow clones. very interesting to see. thanks

I'm trying to figure out how you made it this far without a PPM meter??
Hope you get it figured out soon bunches.
That set up is crazy amazing!

They're in the cloner still because I have nowhere to plant them until I harvest. People have suggested I would benefit from a third tent for full vegetative growth, or a second veg/bloom tent entirely. I simply can't afford to run another set of grow lights, so I tried my luck with cramping the clones in a small space for an extended stay. So far so good.

In a few seasons, or years, I may upgrade to a larger tent (gorilla grow tent?) and use this current veg/bloom tent as my veg-only tent. Until then I may just keep going the way I am.

Oh, and I prooooomise to get a PPM meter. I've just never needed it. Everything's run perfect until I upped the nutes.

It will make such a difference mate - you really know what your plants are doing and can tailor the nutrient concentration to the plant's optimum - some strains prefer more, some less so the manufacturer's instructions sometimes aren't quite right for that particular plant.

Once you get your meter just check the ppms daily. If they increase your solution's too hot, if they drop you can up the nutes, if they stay stable over the week they're spot on. You may still be able to up them from 1/3 strength, but it might not be quite as much as 1/2 strength. EC/ppm meters are great, they give you a whole extra layer of information about what your plant wants and needs.

agree with you on the secret jardin tents.
Mine is falling apart...
+1 for Gorilla
:thumb:

I drained the res and ran water at 5.8pH for 24hrs.
then I did a flush and fill... back down to 200mL.

*maybe I accidentally discovered a new way to trim buds... nute burn them right before harvest, then just crunch the dry leaves off*

Back
Top Bottom