17 Sq' Oxyponics - 1KW AC - 1st Grow

GK, please define "low enough" for rH. Without the dehumidifier and with the extractor fan on high the rH is about 55% lights on.

Well then watch my electric bill shrink... no more dehumidifier!!! At least during winter.

Don't rule it out completely if you're not venting the air you extract outside. If you're extracting into the room the tent sits in you're still dumping water - over time this will increase the humidity in the room and this humid air will just get sucked backed into your tent, increasing the humidity; the water has to go somewhere. If the room the tent's in is large and/or well ventilated this will be less of a problem, but if not you may still need the dh, just maybe not in the tent

day 89 (day 59 of flowering)

IMG_20130115_184302.jpg
IMG_20130115_184330.jpg
IMG_20130115_184429.jpg

cuttings day 60 in cloner

IMG_20130115_190929.jpg
IMG_20130115_190955.jpg

The humidity is indeed on the rise. Was 55% yesterday, now 59%. Setting the dehumidifier to 55%rH and leaving the exhaust on high.

I am exhausting into a large vented room, and the air outside is around 70%rH to begin with, so I guess I'll leave the dh in the tent.

pH 5.2 .... added 3 gallons to 5.8

Clear trichomes. Anticipation grows.

day 90 (day 60 of flowering)
I was doing a flush/fill draining each grow bucket, and noticed a lot of premature undergrowth on this one. I decided to sacrifice the runt.

IMG_20130116_032807.jpg

Stinky!!! I have a fan & filter in the drying room, and I'm moving the dehumidifier in there too to set at 55%rH.

I hope my grow stays < 60%rH with just the exhaust fan. I probably have to get another dehumidifier.

Humidity steady under 60% with just an extraction fan.

Looking at my one hanging harvested plant, I see the importance of scrog. The undergrowth suffers severely from lack of light. In my 5x5 with six plants, though, it's difficult to reach behind and under all the plants. It's difficult to even spin them in their buckets. I'm excited to get a larger tent after I get another grow or two under my belt and get my pH and PPM issues ironed out.

In the meantime, I have a string screen to attach to my tent for my second grow. I wonder how I'll reach the plants in the back to trellis them down? It sounds somehow difficult. I have little questions like, do I need two or just one level of screen? Lots of reading to do...

I'm not that familiar with Oxy Pots and how easy it is to access the res to do nute changes etc, but with a scrog you do need to be able to get reasonably easy access around the plant otherwise the maintenance will be a ball ache, and ideally once the plant has filled the screen you don't really want to be moving it unless you can move the pot and the screen together as one unit.

You could set your scrog up so it's slightly smaller than the tent and you can still get to the back etc, or you could build some simple units the OxyPots sit on that you can move around and which have the screen attached - maybe a 1m sq plywood base with casters and a
2"x2" post in each corner to height you want and which the corners of the screen attach to. The pot can sit on the plywood base and the plant will grow up into the screen but you could move the whole unit around easily, or in and out of the tent, for maintenance. And it wouldn't cost much inh materials - sheet of plywood, some 2"x2", some wheels and some string.

ahem..

Porta scrog?

wiw?

Sorry Vick, that was shit of me - I completely forgot that was exactly what you were doing when i wrote that and didn't credit you.

Bunches, you should check out Vick's grow - and his adapted tomato frames will be easier, cheaper and lighter to move around I would think than building one out of plywood

Sky scrapers. Brilliant!
Suspension bridges. Brilliant!
Porta-ScrOG... BRILLLLIAAANNT!

So without reading every page yet, what's your current word on your porta-scrog design? It looks like a tomato cage with chicken wire on top. Are you happy with that design so far?, because it looks great and simple. Do you feel it needs more circumference? Another layer?
I love it and am going to use it next grow.

My drying room is TOO dry at 30%rH.

I early harvested one plant, I still have five growing.

Is adding a humidifier to the drying tent to bring humidity up to 50%rH recommended?

if you have an air pump put an air wand in a small bucket and poof all the humidity ya might need. can hook up an extra hose to one if your useing it for your system. put in a t and a valve and a back flow valve. adjust for small bubbles. or you can mist a towel just put a few drops of either white vinager or hydrogen peroxide and mist towel and hang close to drying buds.

Sky scrapers. Brilliant!
Suspension bridges. Brilliant!
Porta-ScrOG... BRILLLLIAAANNT!

So without reading every page yet, what's your current word on your porta-scrog design? It looks like a tomato cage with chicken wire on top. Are you happy with that design so far?, because it looks great and simple. Do you feel it needs more circumference? Another layer?
I love it and am going to use it next grow.

Thanks man,

The current word on the porta scrog is:
Awesome..

I don't think it needs another layer, as the main tops come through the scrog, or fastened to the outside.
If any other support is needed, there are more than enough spots to anchor or tie to, underneath the screen.
I'd suggest just getting your hands on some tomato cages, maybe do a grow with just them first, then decide if throwing a screen on top of them would benefit your grow.
When you have time go through my journal and take a look at how they are working out for me.
I would use them again and again.
Even just Tomato cages on their own, will change your whole ballgame.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom