The bong marketplace in the US has gone off the rails

Peat Phreak

I recently broke my favorite bong. Then I went online shopping for a bong, only to be completely irritated and baffled by the state of the bong marketplace in the US.

It was hard to find a bong that would be a comparable replacement. My requirements are very simple. The bong needs to be:

- Made of glass

- tubular in shape for easy cleaning with a brush

- angled mouthpiece

- carb hole

- 12-16 inch height

- costs less than $75 shipped

- NO ICE CATCHER - whoever thought of this useless idea needs to slapped with a wet noodle. This somehow became almost a standard feature.

- NO PERCOLATOR - or whatever the heck it is. The tube needs to be unobstructed.

- NO BULBOUS RESERVOIR - just a tube. Not a beaker.

Now that doesn't seem like it should be a difficult bong to find. But it is. There should be dozens of examples. But there aren't. I can only conclude that 99.9% of the planet is USING THE WRONG BONG !!!

I recently broke my favorite bong. Then I went online shopping for a bong, only to be completely irritated and baffled by the state of the bong marketplace in the US.

It was hard to find a bong that would be a comparable replacement. My requirements are very simple. The bong needs to be:

- Made of glass

- angled mouthpiece

- carb hole

- 12-16 inch height

- NO ICE CATCHER - whoever thought of this useless idea needs to slapped with a wet noodle. This somehow became almost a standard feature.

- NO PERCOLATOR - or whatever the heck it is. The tube needs to be unobstructed.

Now that doesn't seem like it should be a difficult bong to find. But it is. There should be dozens of examples. But there aren't. I can only conclude that 99.9% of the planet is USING THE WRONG BONG !!!

believe it.

some folk buy crappy plastic throw away bongs now just cause it's easier and cheaper.

I had to buy a plastic one as a back up. There is a big difference in the flavor compared to glass. Flavor is reduced quite a bit.

There are a lot of bongs that cost silly amounts of money right now. But who is spending $1500 on a bong? Not me. $100 is my limit because it will break again.

Do you have a picture of said bong? I'm interested in seeing this.

Like this one from Europe. But it's out of stock everywhere.

Clear_Cylinder_Glass_Bong_PuffPuffPalace_1024x1024.png

I had to buy a plastic one as a back up. There is a big difference in the flavor compared to glass. Flavor is reduced quite a bit.

amen.

i build water pipes because of cost. plus mine are kick ass. :cheesygrinsmiley:
but i prefer all glass. a decent all glass bong is a thing of simplistic beauty. all glass is great for flavour if not tops.

There are a lot of bongs that cost silly amounts of money right now. But who is spending $1500 on a bong?

it's out of control. smoking fashion = smoking fascists lol .. :p

Not me. $100 is my limit because it will break again.

at some point everyone will discover papers again and claim papyrus never existed previous lol.

edit : out of curiosity ... have you ever used a chillum peat ? pull one of those out on a session and see who knows how to use it proper lol. :rofl:

None of the top bong shops on google have the bong I want. Nothing on eBay. I scrolled past thousands of bongs that don't meet my needs. It took a few days of searching, but I finally found my preferred bong again. It's in Europe. Only cost $44 shipped to USA. Not borosilicate, but it is glass.

:hookah:

No sir. It has to be a water bong or I will be dissatisfied. Can't remember the last time I smoked a joint or a pipe.

chillum is a wee bit different. there's a couple different ways to hold it, and the amount of pressure exerted cupping it in your hands / fingers makes a big difference.

due to the cooler air you draw with it after the pipe, you can take in a lot more volume. but you have to figure out just how hard to squeeze it, and then your hands reek no matter :p

- Made of glass

- angled mouthpiece

- carb hole

- 12-16 inch height

I use an antique prolly dugout n 1 hitter. Works fine for over 20 something years now. CL🍀

Dude the bowl on a bong is the carb. Secondary carb is a waste. Why the hate for icy bong hits? And less than $75 shipped?!? My dude....

I mean I get it, 163 different kinds of percs is a little excessive. If you're willing to spend a LITTLE more and not have a curved tube ROOR has a bunch of straight tubes with no ice catcher. Ebay has plenty of cheap chinese bongs too.

Best of luck, I may not agree with ya, but I get it, I love my bong too.

Dude the bowl on a bong is the carb. Secondary carb is a waste. Why the hate for icy bong hits? And less than $75 shipped?!? My dude....

I mean I get it, 163 different kinds of percs is a little excessive. If you're willing to spend a LITTLE more and not have a curved tube ROOR has a bunch of straight tubes with no ice catcher. Ebay has plenty of cheap chinese bongs too.

Best of luck, I may not agree with ya, but I get it, I love my bong too.

Because pulling out a dripping wet 4 inch glass tube 20 times a day gets messy. The carb hole is a better design. It can also be plugged, if desired.

$75 for a piece of glass is ridiculous already. I found exactly the bong I wanted for less than $50 shipped. I just had to shop in Europe to do it. Bongs in the USA are generally overpriced. Even the cheap ones. Because American stoners are apparently too lazy to look past page one of a Google search and are willing to overpay for bongs.

eBay does NOT have the bong I want despite having 10,000 bongs for sale.

Ice catchers accomplish the opposite of what they intend. Cold, dry air is not something your esophagus wants to inhale. Ever go for a run when it's frigid outside? Probably not. That ice cold air getting forced into the lungs is not comfortable. This is why filling your bong with hot water is the way to go. Warm hits are smoother than cold. Warm hits are tastier than cold.

And since we grow our own weed, we shouldn't need a special bong to make it smoother while smoking. The number one reason for harsh weed is grower error.

I also recently went looking for a glass bong after not using one for the better part of 40 years ;)

What baffled me was > where did the hole you cover, apply fire to bowl. draw to fill the tube then release to inhale the smoke go ?

Much preferred over lifting the bowl to take a toke :bongrip:

Cheers

Yes. That is the MANDATORY carb hole. It began to disappear when the Millennials started getting high. Pulling the bowl and tube out to clear the bong is a hassle that has no advantage to the user. There are some that can be pulled out without dripping bong water everywhere. But a carb hole is better.

Because pulling out a dripping wet 4 inch glass tube 20 times a day gets messy. The carb hole is a better design. It can also be plugged, if desired.
If its wet you're doing it wrong, the down-stem hits the water, the bowl stays dry. You don't pull the whole down-stem out, and the hole is much larger allowing you to clear the bong easier. And to plug it you just put the bowl back in, no hands required after that.
$75 for a piece of glass is ridiculous already. I found exactly the bong I wanted for less than $50 shipped. I just had to shop in Europe to do it. Bongs in the USA are generally overpriced. Even the cheap ones. Because American stoners are apparently too lazy to look past page one of a Google search and are willing to overpay for bongs.
That's cool, but not so much for the glassblowers, craftsmen, and artisans responsible for making our glass. Some people want a conversation piece.

eBay does NOT have the bong I want despite having 10,000 bongs for sale.

Ice catchers accomplish the opposite of what they intend. Cold, dry air is not something your esophagus wants to inhale. Ever go for a run when it's frigid outside? Probably not. That ice cold air getting forced into the lungs is not comfortable. This is why filling your bong with hot water is the way to go. Warm hits are smoother than cold. Warm hits are tastier than cold.
Many times. Ever run in 115 degrees and 100% humidity? Not much fun either. The ice cools the smoke to room temp, maybe a little cooler, never ever had it be frigid. You must have some serious ice my dude. And the catcher is there to keep the ice from breaking the down-stem, and out of the water... never had it do anything else.
And since we grow our own weed, we shouldn't need a special bong to make it smoother while smoking. The number one reason for harsh weed is grower error.
Then why use a bong at all?

Just sayin... nothing but love Peat. Different strokes for different folks. I don't personally like a straight tube sans reservoir (either beaker or bubble) cuz for me, there's not enough water in the base of just a tube to make much of a difference and it's more likely that bong water will end up in yo mouth.

My weeds like flavored air on the inhale, but I still get bigger rips, and a stone that I prefer out of the bong. Hope you find the perfect one for you! Maybe there's a new glassblower in your community who will make it for a reasonable price to get the practice? Big Love!

This is what I ended up with, added a pack of screens to qualify for free shipping.

$30 for the bong, $20 for preformed screens o_O

8" high, beaker is harder to clean but less likely to tip over ;)

Bong.JPG

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom