The VipersNest Continuous

probably a dumb question... but I have no idea what pheno means, but have seen it referenced many times. Looking good Pit. The elongation of the one plant gives it quite an interesting cola

its a good question...Ill give you a boiled down answer and a Wiki answer.
Take 5 seeds,,same strain..same pack.....theres a control factor there
you may end up wit 3 identical plants and 2 that look like nothing compared to the others. you may get 5 identical plants or you may get 5 different "phenos"....different phenos can different taste,high,yield etc. growers try to have a crop of all the same phenos.

I have got Godbud going now and one plant is clearly head and shoulders over the others. I made a mother out of it
now if you take cuttings from a mother they will all be the same phenotype.

As noted in Wiki's article, heterosis is not always beneficial. When it is, the phenomenon is called hybrid vigor. When it isn't, it's called outbreeding depression. While in plants, one often sees a "healthier" plant in general, occasionally an unwanted trait or two shows up. I expect that this goes a long way towards explaining some strains propensity to exhibit hermaphrodism.

You might see several different phenotypes if the breeder(sic) is just growing a couple of strains and allowing a plant from one strain to pollinate a plant from the other strain instead of spending the time to stabilize the resultant cross(es). When that happens, the factor of hybrid vigor is really (IMHO) simply a side-affect of a lazy breeder or one who doesn't understand his/her work - or even the fact that some breeders in actuality have several different people breeding their seeds for them, such as is the case with Nirvana. That is not necessarily a deal-breaker if the seeds that are sold by the breeder are inexpensive (again, as is the case with Nirvana) and they make no secret of the practice (ditto). And if one is the type of person that can and will grow out multiple (50-100... but at least 10 for best results) seeds in search of that perfect mother plant then all of this can actually be a GOOD thing as one can get a variety of phenotypes to choose from with a mix of characteristics - that is a way for a person to better pick that "perfect" mother plant, lol. But if one is likely to just order one or two seeds of any given strain from a seedbank that sells them in small quantities, that person might be best advised to go with a breeder who isn't as prone to do this, or to at least look for strains that are of an IBL / non-hybrid so that they don't end up... I hesitate to use the term "playing the seed lottery" but it can be somewhat of a crapshoot.

Oy, PitViper, sorry about running on in your journal, bro. Funny how I set down to type a sentence and five minutes later I realize that the noise I've been hearing is my fingers still typing away, lol.

Anyone been at this long enough to remember when (the few that existed at the time) seedbanks would actually make a point to state in no uncertain terms when a strain was a hybrid / not fully stabilized? And to think that back in the day I figured that years off in the future (AKA: Now, lol) I wouldn't get that vague worry when ordering seeds because cannabis would be legal as (most) any other herb and it would be a non-issue - but at this point in time I find myself too paranoid to even place an order <GRUMBLE GRUMBLE WHINE>. Man, I really AM getting old...

ooooh ok. haha that makes sense to what I already do. I have noticed such occurances, as I'm sure it has to do with the crossbreeding of strains and the plants either showing stronger traits of one vs the others, or pure genetic deficiencies. I've used such ideas for my clones. I always label each plant and its corresponding clone. Then watch as the plant buds, and then decide on which clone I wish to keep as a mother, etc. I'm glad I now have a word to use, lol

two different Godbud Phenos
011257.JPG

007339.JPG

I believe i found out my dying leaves problem. I found spider mites and what look like thrips. I tried the soap and oil method, but still found mites and thrips. Any recommendations on a pesticide? Sevin?

pyrethrum

I believe i found out my dying leaves problem. I found spider mites and what look like thrips. I tried the soap and oil method, but still found mites and thrips. Any recommendations on a pesticide? Sevin?

pyrethrum

+REPs.

If you've spider mites, you've probably got spider mite eggs. Many recommend hitting things about three times about five days apart so that you can kill the bugs, then kill the bugs that hatched after your treatment, then kill the bugs that hatched after that treatment.

For all that they don't actually have a developed brain like higher organisms do, they can still "be" sneaky little sh*ts, lol. They hitchhike - come in on your clothing - and stowaway - come in with clones/plants. Prevention and observation is important to the "anti-Borg" strategy.

A trip to the kitchen sink for an appointment with the sink's sprayer will tend to scatter them; they don't seem to be able to hang on and can't swim against a strong current... But that's not going to do anything about the eggs and you'd probably stand a fair chance of missing a few of the actual spider mites anyway and then in a week you'd have another generation to deal with (who would be busy laying more eggs).

Stab, shoot, burn I mean spray them with pyrethrin.

SO true pyrethrum, myself has little effect on. I've done the bombs, the sprays every 5 days. With small effects. I've been thinking about Pit's timer sprays. They claim on the sprays they aren't for mites but, if it works I'm game. I have a on going harvest. I never have a empty room. All I ever really heard was cleanliness is next to godliness is all that works. If ya get a empty flower chamber vacuum spray with bleach and make sure all the 'new plants' are sprayed well. Don't mean to jump your site Pit, with all respect, but mites are a dirty word, in any growers lang. I've looked into that Purge 3 myself. Haven't heard much good about it, least bout mite's, but I'm at Witt's end, and willing to try bout anything. Hope your Grass stays Green Pit.

013221.JPG

Pit, you're a good dad. Looks like they're all ready to watch The Almanac Gardener before bedtime :)

Yah got the tall kid on the left and the fat one in the right front...:morenutes:

That a gallon of Floralicious simmering on your satellite receiver?

Back
Top Bottom