The weight of my problem

Weekender

The dust is settling here in Ohio with now it is legal to grow and have cannabis in our homes or wherever. I am a long-time grower (every year for over 20 Yrs.) a long time here on this site. Over the years a lot of my home grown has been smoked by me and my friends, they have spoken to me about how I am able to grow this but looked down their nose at the illegal activity. It has changed now it is legal as of 12-7-23. I am getting overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with requests for 1 seed 2 clones 3 spare lights 4 Could I just grow their limit 5 Look their site over and give advice. I am not a gardener just someone who followed my nose, practical experience. But the experience puts me light years ahead of the new grower. I don't want to do anything other than my own and they all get pissy, most think the whole process is free and that I will support them in every way, F-them. But I did buy a sheet of rockwool yesterday. Damit.

Do what @Rifleman said to do, otherwise they’ll ask for help but only listen to half of what you say and blame you when they kill everything
"...but only listen to half of what you say..." then forget the other half within minutes. And blame you for deliberately confusing them so that they kill their plants.

I've seen it happen in a store. The owner was finishing up on a beginner class and one group of guys stood around talking about it afterwards. Then they walked to the shelves and bought the fancy looking stuff meant for hydro and bags of peat moss to mix with the compost based soils. The owner even mentioned that the fancy stuff they were buying was for hydro and that he did not recommend for soil grows. They looked at each other and bought it anyway.

After they left I said to him that they had not heard anything he said and that they would blame him. He nods and says "every time".

Monetize it. Charge them all $100 for a class on cultivation. Give a speech, pass out some photo copies. Take their money and run.
... or charge by the hour for basic labor and offer no advice 'cause they are not going to listen.

"...but only listen to half of what you say..." then forget the other half within minutes. And blame you for deliberately confusing them so that they kill their plants.

I've seen it happen in a store. The owner was finishing up on a beginner class and one group of guys stood around talking about it afterwards. Then they walked to the shelves and bought the fancy looking stuff meant for hydro and bags of peat moss to mix with the compost based soils. The owner even mentioned that the fancy stuff they were buying was for hydro and that he did not recommend for soil grows. They looked at each other and bought it anyway.

After they left I said to him that they had not heard anything he said and that they would blame him. He nods and says "every time".

... or charge by the hour for basic labor and offer no advice 'cause they are not going to listen.

You can lead a horse and all that.. I’ve found that if people truly want my help they will come to me with a specific question after having already exhausted all other avenues. They will have the basics down or mostly down and won’t ask common questions. Or if they do ask a common question it will be prefaced with “I’ve read this and this about this, what’s your thought?”

Even then, you’ll still get those who don’t pay attention.

I am considering classes, but I am not sure I want that far out of the closet. I am sure this is not a unique problem and happens in every state as it becomes legal.

Hey I have a Idea! Tell them to join 420Magazine! Plenty of good folks here to give advice, not to mention all of the grow journals to read up on! I know that's how I got started...

:passitleft:

Monetize it. Charge them all $100 for a class on cultivation. Give a speech, pass out some photo copies. Take their money and run.
- -
🤠
I agree, make money off these fair weather friends.

The dust is settling here in Ohio with now it is legal to grow and have cannabis in our homes or wherever. I am a long-time grower (every year for over 20 Yrs.) a long time here on this site. Over the years a lot of my home grown has been smoked by me and my friends, they have spoken to me about how I am able to grow this but looked down their nose at the illegal activity. It has changed now it is legal as of 12-7-23. I am getting overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with requests for 1 seed 2 clones 3 spare lights 4 Could I just grow their limit 5 Look their site over and give advice. I am not a gardener just someone who followed my nose, practical experience. But the experience puts me light years ahead of the new grower. I don't want to do anything other than my own and they all get pissy, most think the whole process is free and that I will support them in every way, F-them. But I did buy a sheet of rockwool yesterday. Damit.
Hey Amigo. :ciao: sorry about your issues.
I have an idea. :yahoo:
Tell everyone to join 420Magazine.
We can help them and get them off your back.
Just a thought.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hey I have a Idea! Tell them to join 420Magazine! Plenty of good folks here to give advice, not to mention all of the grow journals to read up on! I know that's how I got started...

:passitleft:

I have been sending people to 420 magazine for years. As well as my seed dealers.

Hey Amigo. :ciao: sorry about your issues.
I have an idea. :yahoo:
Tell everyone to join 420Magazine.
We can help them and get them off your back.
Just a thought.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

This is the best idea if you don’t want to offend anyone or have to turn anyone away. It puts the onus back on them without making you sound like a dick.

Unfortunately though you’re still going to run into people that don’t even want to go to a website. My boss has no problem watching Fox News all day and reading Facebook post after Facebook post but he absolutely refuses to read anything about growing and just goes through trial and error while asking me questions that he then just ignores. He also doesn’t mind smoking 50$ dispensary ounces either though so there’s that 😂

Unfortunately though you’re still going to run into people that don’t even want to go to a website.
Going to a website, even if the link is included, seems to require that they spend a bit too much effort. But they are happy to go to a linked video and listen & watch something for 10 minutes to get the same info it would have taken them 20 seconds to read.

Going to a website, even if the link is included, seems to require that they spend a bit too much effort. But they are happy to go to a linked video and listen & watch something for 10 minutes to get the same info it would have taken them 20 seconds to read.

lol I forgot about videos. Some times I don’t fall into my generation very well.

As a millennial, I don’t like watching videos, especially from “channels” that spend 8 minutes with intros, graphics, sponsors, and bsing, then spend 2 minutes delivering the actual information but it’s buried between two 15 second unskippable ads. I would much rather just find an article/book/study/etc. than watch some dude I wouldn’t even trust to begin with pump a bunch of nonsense at me.

To be fair though, I do enjoy a TED talk from time to time and there are some pieces of information that I can’t get anywhere other than a video, but the majority of the time I want to read words, not be spoken to

As a millennial, I don’t like watching videos, especially from “channels” that spend 8 minutes with intros, graphics, sponsors, and bsing, then spend 2 minutes delivering the actual information but it’s buried between two 15 second unskippable ads. I would much rather just find an article/book/study/etc. than watch some dude I wouldn’t even trust to begin with pump a bunch of nonsense at me.
Way to many individuals trying to jump on the money wagon with their videos. I remember when a video would be 2 minutes of actual discussion on someones method with no ads, or scrolling credits, and all that stuff.

To be fair though, I do enjoy a TED talk from time to time and there are some pieces of information that I can’t get anywhere other than a video, but the majority of the time I want to read words, not be spoken to
My son-in-law introduced us to TED talk. Sometimes they are better than a college level class in an easy to understand presentation.

Way to many individuals trying to jump on the money wagon with their videos. I remember when a video would be 2 minutes of actual discussion on someones method with no ads, or scrolling credits, and all that stuff.

And that’s exactly it. It starts out just nerds sharing with other nerds. Then money comes in and it all blows up. Now people are picking sides and raising pitchforks over who has the better medium, all so a couple folks can suck up a few more bucks.

It’s even worse when the video will claim to be about one thing, and the thumbnail will match the description, but then the video has no mention or coverage at all of said claim.

My son-in-law introduced us to TED talk. Sometimes they are better than a college level class in an easy to understand presentation.

I learned how to properly dry my hands after washing from a TED talk and I was hooked 😂 I’ve had college level classes give us TED talks to watch.. Khan academy is another really good place to check out for tons of knowledge and information on many, many topics.

lol this happens to established growers every time a jurisdiction goes legal. unless you are licensed for a larger grow your plant count will be restricted, the easiest thing i found was simply telling people you were at the limit and all your production was spoken for.

we ran a 200 plant licensed medical grow and had a number of people who thought we'd be swimming in both money and weed. we actually lost the bulk of the med licensing when the law changed, we became so restricted that it wasn't worth our time to continue, and just told everyone we were shutting down.

most folk didn't believe we were walking away, we had requests for well over a yr after we closed.

I am considering classes, but I am not sure I want that far out of the closet. I am sure this is not a unique problem and happens in every state as it becomes legal.

i taught a seniors class on growing for a few days. it was fun at the time. they brought in a few different growers to show different media. i wouldn't do it long term unless you could youtube or monetize it.

Back
Top Bottom