TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Ive been using ff big bloom and big grow and i can honestly say big bloom is probably a total waste of money but big grow is worth it, you dont use hardly as much of it as the big bloom and the plants respond to it quite a bit. Every two days after use my plants seem to act like they have too much nitrogen but after i give them some fresh water they thank me for the feeding!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ive been using ff big bloom and big grow and i can honestly say big bloom is probably a total waste of money but big grow is worth it, you dont use hardly as much of it as the big bloom and the plants respond to it quite a bit. Every two days after use my plants seem to act like they have too much nitrogen but after i give them some fresh water they thank me for the feeding!

Well if it's working for you then by all means keep on keepin' on :cheesygrinsmiley: I am a long term thinker when it comes to hobbies so I was like "hmm if I can get 10 total grows using powder nutes for $150 total that's a pretty damn good deal!!" That same amount of money would get me only about 2.5 grows worth of liquid nutes.

Alright as I promised yesterday...here is the "Yaddle update". :cheer: If you want the full narrative behind these scenes you can read my story at the end of this grow.

Yaddle has been undergoing an internal conflict between her roots and her body. Her body wants to move into DWC so that she can grow faster and yield more. However the roots want to stay in the organic soil because there are no harsh chemicals and there is also less chance of getting consumed by the rot side due to a faulty air pump (yes I am still salty about my grow #2! :blalol:).

So they get into a fight and eventually Yaddle's body breaks off from the rootstock, leaving me to perform emergency treatment to create....Darth Yaddle.

Rebloom_4_5_001.jpg

Rebloom_4_5_002.jpg

Rebloom_4_5_003.jpg

Rebloom_4_5_005.jpg

All image editing done in the excellent MS paint, cause I don't know how to use real photoshop :laugh:

Here is the cloning method I used (this is actually my first cannabis cloning attempt haha):

1.) Cut top off plant, making sure to get at least 3 nodes of growth
2.) Slice across the stem at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 inch below a node.
3.) Remove excess fan leaves and growth
4.) Dip cut end into Clonex gel and insert 1 inch deep into Rapid Rooter
5.) In a cup, mix a teeny pinch of water, Great White, humic acid, and high phosphorus nutes.
6.) Place the Rapid Rooter in the cup of nutes and fill with Hydroton to keep it upright.
7.) Place Darth Yaddle back into the grow tent and watch as she sets her other half's SmartPot on fire with channeled lightning. What a beezy!!

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Heya Tomula great to have you here and thanks for the positive feedback! :circle-of-love: I would love to check out your journal, you have such an artistic talent for growing this amazing plant :)

Also you know WAY more than me about growing in organic soil....so I will definitely be drawing on your knowledge to help me as Yaddle starts to grow up in her SmartPot :thanks:

Yo Frizz, thanks man. I'm still learning, there is much to learn. I like bobrow14's journal, he is very very good at it! Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

Lovely and clean job you are doing here!

Cheers! :thanks: :love: :Namaste:

TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

So Frizz, you don't change your water out at all? Do you top off with solution or ph'd water? And are you using tap water? Because I'm running a 4 pot RDWC and if I don't have to change out 10gal every two weeks I'll be a happy man!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Yo Frizz, thanks man. I'm still learning, there is much to learn. I like bobrow14's journal, he is very very good at it! Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

Lovely and clean job you are doing here!

Cheers! :thanks: :love: :Namaste:

Hi Tomula, thanks very much for the feedback and the link to Cottage's grow! I will definitely pop over there and check it out :love:

So Frizz, you don't change your water out at all? Do you top off with solution or ph'd water? And are you using tap water? Because I'm running a 4 pot RDWC and if I don't have to change out 10gal every two weeks I'll be a happy man!

Hi DnD, great questions! So yeah I have the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it" when it comes to res changes. My first grow (Blue Dream in DWC) I only changed the water out twice (once in veg, once during transition to flower) over about 120 days. Here is what the roots looked like after harvest:

Yeah there is some staining from the nutes but no rot or any issues and overall it was a fabulous grow. :cheer:

Harvest_time_010.jpg

I would ONLY recommend delaying res changes however if you are using friendly bacteria in your system (HydroGuard, Great White, etc). The reason is because those wonderful bacteria have been multiplying in the water keeping the roots happy, so why in the actual fudge would anyone want to dump all hard work that down the drain and start over every 2 weeks? Oh, I know why, so you have to keep buying more nutes from their company. :laugh:

As for topping off the res, I use tap water and then just adjust the pH if needed from the 5th bucket outside of the tent. However, this grow I haven't really had to do anything with pH at all, it has been staying between 5.5-6.5 which is where I want it to be. :cheer:

Here has been my "RDWC maintenance" for my grow the month of February and March so far:

1.) Add powder nutes and Great White to system once the roots hit the water (this was early Feb)
2.) Top off with tap water as needed every few days
3.) Added 1 oz humic acid yesterday

Yeah...that's it! I have literally spent less than 20 mins TOTAL over 5 weeks on the RDWC part, this gives me more time to intimately train and sculpt the plants which is the fun part imo :circle-of-love:

Omg! I'm totally a helicopter parent then!! I need to get this grow under my belt so I can relax a bit haha!

My only concern now is. Are the nutes I'm using stable enough to run like that or is the change out so the nutes don't build up salts in the system? I'm using the AN grow micro bloom line and great white. That's it. And while the Amazon reviews were great for AN, im noticing that anyone who really knows what they're doing, doesn't use them.

And what things should I look out for that would constitute a res change.

I'm glad you noted your ph levels. I've been tearing my hair out trying to keep it under 6

Omg! I'm totally a helicopter parent then!! I need to get this grow under my belt so I can relax a bit haha!

My only concern now is. Are the nutes I'm using stable enough to run like that or is the change out so the nutes don't build up salts in the system? I'm using the AN grow micro bloom line and great white. That's it. And while the Amazon reviews were great for AN, im noticing that anyone who really knows what they're doing, doesn't use them.

And what things should I look out for that would constitute a res change.

I'm glad you noted your ph levels. I've been tearing my hair out trying to keep it under 6

Hehehe "helicopter parent" that is too cute and what a great analogy! :love:

It sounds like your setup is very similar to my first grow, I just used the Flora Series trio instead of AN but on a practical level they are the same thing. The reasons I changed my res were:

1.) During veg in the middle of the hottest week of summer my bucket temps were close to 90 degrees and I didn't have a chiller. The plants were starting to wilt so I flushed everything and started with cold water. The heat wave passed, and the plants were happy.

2.) For the transition to flower I wanted a "clean slate" and also the proper balance of nutrients for blooming, so I did a full res change here as well

I never changed my res because of "salt buildup", pH problems, root rot, or deficiency, because my plants never showed those symptoms. If they did, maybe I would change my res more often. But until then I am content doing less work and spending less on nutes. :laugh:

Edit: Here is a picture that illustrates why you can be relaxed about pH as long as it stays within the 5.5-6.5 range. The plant actually will uptake nutrients most effectively if you allow the pH to "swing" within this general range.

plant-nutrient-absorption-at-different-pH.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions!! :thanks: :Namaste:

More questions? Ha! You're opening a can of worms.

That chart definitely puts my mind at ease. Thank you!
Wishing I'd see it sooner

So how does your ppm/ec stay where it needs to be if you're only supplementing with tap water? I'm confused.

More questions? Ha! You're opening a can of worms.

That chart definitely puts my mind at ease. Thank you!
Wishing I'd see it sooner

So how does your ppm/ec stay where it needs to be if you're only supplementing with tap water? I'm confused.

That is a very logical question! So when I dumped in everything at the start, they were at around 500 ppm. Luckily my plants don't consume very many nutes because they don't have very much bushy growth to maintain. I keep them lean :)

In the pic I posted the other day my ppm was down to 340. I will add more nutes and bring it back up to 600 ish as soon as they drop to 300 ppm, which should be in a week or so. I like to cycle my nute levels just like pH, let it swing, then adjust every few weeks as needed.
#lazygrower #noregrets :surf: Besides, you know deep down the plants enjoy the tough love :;):

Here's a quick graph I made to show what the ppm will look like over my 16 week ish grow:

ppm_chart.jpg

How important is the ppm in the water for your plants? I have never checked it at all.

Could you clarify what you are referring to? Do you mean the water in the DWC reservoir, or are you referring to tap water?

Well tonight I showed my boyfriend how to train Sidney and he did a good job, yay!!! :cheer:

Here is how you take a plant from 2 growth tips to 8 growth tips in less than 5 minutes, credit for this method to Nebula Haze (she is awesome!)

Before training, she is all bushy but we don't care about fan leaves, we care about preparing the best structure to support massive main colas the size of baseball bats!

Rebloom_5_005.jpg

Step 1.) Remove large excess fan leaves

Rebloom_5_006.jpg

Step 2.) Remove the 2nd nodes growth tips and fan leaves from both sides.

Rebloom_5_007.jpg

Step 3.) Squeeze and bend the stems until they are flexible and bend the plant into a T shape. (Also, how sexy is Muffinz in the background....just sayin ) :thumb:

Step 4.) Once you are happy with the T shape then "top" the plant at each end so that the two growth tips on the end become active. Now you have 8 growth tips and nice symmetry!

Rebloom_5_008.jpg

Here is an overhead pic of the lovely ladies as well

Rebloom_5_009.jpg

So yeah, that is how you train a plant without tools, just use your thumbnails to do all the nipping and your fingers to do the pinching. No strings, no blades, no wires, just you and your plant! I think he did a pretty good job on Sid for a first try! :circle-of-love:

What are the water levels (volume) in your DWC buckets? Do you keep them at a specific distance from the top? Like everything else, there are many conflicting pieces of information out there but whatever you are doing seems to be working well. :goodjob:

Hey Frizz, thank you for what you're doing, I have learned from your journals so much good, it makes me aim for the best set up I potentially can.
I'm at the last weeks of my first grow right now, growing in soil with Gold Label advanced nutrition's. Didn't do enough research at first and left all my plants grow without any topping at all, what resulted with just big main colas and nothing much around my plants.
But luckily enough I found your journals and I'm prepared for next one, I will be growing in soil again with 600w hps, 4 feminized seeds. Will be fallowing Nebula's Manifold tutorial and go for 8 main colas, very excited about that ( maybe I should go for 16 as you do, if space is enough?).
I see you cut down everything aggressively except the smallest leaves when you top down, what's the main reason behind it (for training)? And is it safe to do so for soil growers?

Thank You for your time, much appreciate it!

What are the water levels (volume) in your DWC buckets? Do you keep them at a specific distance from the top? Like everything else, there are many conflicting pieces of information out there but whatever you are doing seems to be working well. :goodjob:

Great question! :thumb: I let the water levels drop until the buckets are half full and then I top them off with tap water back up to the bottom of the net pot. I do this about once a week.

I never fill above the bottom of the net pot because I want to ensure the "crown" of the plant buried in the hydroton gets plenty of air and stays healthy. Like pH and nutes, I feel the plants enjoy this "cycle" of water and air, rather than keeping all the roots completely submerged all of the time.

Hey Frizz, thank you for what you're doing, I have learned from your journals so much good, it makes me aim for the best set up I potentially can.
I'm at the last weeks of my first grow right now, growing in soil with Gold Label advanced nutrition's. Didn't do enough research at first and left all my plants grow without any topping at all, what resulted with just big main colas and nothing much around my plants.
But luckily enough I found your journals and I'm prepared for next one, I will be growing in soil again with 600w hps, 4 feminized seeds. Will be fallowing Nebula's Manifold tutorial and go for 8 main colas, very excited about that ( maybe I should go for 16 as you do, if space is enough?).
I see you cut down everything aggressively except the smallest leaves when you top down, what's the main reason behind it (for training)? And is it safe to do so for soil growers?

Thank You for your time, much appreciate it!

Welcome letrude and thank you very much for your positive feedback!

The reason I remove all but the smallest leaves each session is because I have noticed that the plants outward growth seems to slow when fan leaves from different branches begin to touch and overlap. So I try to keep the colas as separated as possible by removing all but the last node of two of growth :cheer:

However, I would not recommend this heavy defol method in soil. Simply put, I do not believe that plants in soil grow fast enough for the stripping to be a net gain over the course of the grow. The manifold method itself is still an excellent strategy to use, you just might want to only shoot for 8 colas, not 16, and leave more growth on. Check out Tomula's work on here, he grows in organic soil and uses similar training techniques to me, but he keeps more growth on the plants. He would be a great role model for you :)

Tomula's Living Organics In Soil With Olla Irrigation Perpetual Indoor Garden

Keep the questions coming guys, you are helping every other grower who reads this thread as well! :circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom