TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Hello Frizz! whats the info on the do it yourself test kit for thc and contaminants??
Thats a big time prune Frizz, Not sure its too much? I kinda read a few leafs a week not all. Interesting.
Great Day Frizz and Im glad you shook off the funk and back in the saddle again! Welcome back!! :)

More questions (and congrats, I'm sorry, good luck!)

You mentioned using a chiller before. How different has it made things in this grow? Ambient temperatures affected at all? What's your average reservoir temp? How do you measure your temperatures?

Brand/Model?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Great questions! :thanks: So, having the chiller has taken my water temps from an average of 80-85 degrees with my first grow (Blue Dream) to a more comfortable range of 68-75 degrees. This combined with a solid air pump and Great White means I can dump in whatever I want pretty much without having to worry about root rot because the roots are getting plenty of oxygen. :cheer: I measure my water temperature with the readout on the chiller and also my ppm meter has a temp gauge on it. They are usually within a degree of each other so that's close enough for me!

I am using the 1/10 HP model by Activa Aqua, it was about $250 and was so worth it for the peace of mind. I am actually looking forward to the summer grow rather than dreading it now :)

Nice buds. I'm guessing blue dream on the right, NFL on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi there Aussie! Thanks for chiming in and welcome! :love: Is this in reference to the pics I posted from my earlier grow? If so, all 4 plants were Blue Dream but it was feminized seed from HSO. Queen Sativa was the one of the 4 that expressed the "true" Blue Dream phenotype and the other 3 were all more indica leaning. It was basically a perfect example of a punnet square :)

That queen sativa yielded amazingly well done

Sneaky's White Widow x Big Bud Outdoor Feminized

Thanks Sneaky and welcome aboard!! :thanks: She is my favorite to smoke now too...after curing she packs quite a wallop and will send you up into la la land for several hours!

Hello Frizz! whats the info on the do it yourself test kit for thc and contaminants??
Thats a big time prune Frizz, Not sure its too much? I kinda read a few leafs a week not all. Interesting.
Great Day Frizz and Im glad you shook off the funk and back in the saddle again! Welcome back!! :)

Hi there Dutchess, good to see you again sir and thanks for commenting! :circle-of-love: I will give a further update on the THC test kit after I have used it, but it was about $150 and will allow me to run ~20-25 samples of product and analyze %'s for the 6 major cannabinoids:

Cannabidiol (CBD)
Cannabinol (CBN)
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Cannabigerol (CBG)
Cannabichromene (CBC)

The steps are no more difficult to follow than a high school chemistry lab, so I am just waiting for a nice sunny day so I can open all the windows and doors for ventilation (the process does release some nasty fumes and I don't have a fume hood at home, alas).

Now, as for the pruning part, I can assure you the plants will be just fine :) Now that I have the nutes dialed in they should really start to go crazy with growth. I will probably put them into flower in about 2 weeks, Jenny is already good to go but another 2 weeks of veg will turn her into an absolute monster! She must have absorbed some of Queen Sativa's beastlyness from being in the same corner of the tent....:laugh:

Ok so I was going to wait a couple more days for an update but it's still crappy outside and I decided typing sounded more fun than yardwork....so here we go!! :cheer:

Last night my BF did his next round of training on Sidney, here are some before and after shots. :)

Rebloom_6_006.jpg

Rebloom_6_008.jpg

Here are the same before and after shots with Muffinz in the back for reference, she is about 3-4 days ahead of Sidney.

Rebloom_6_007.jpg

Rebloom_6_009.jpg

Here are pH and ppm and temp as of 30 minutes ago:

The pH has climbed from 5.8 but I am still ok with this, I will lower it once it hits 6.5.

Rebloom_6_012.jpg

Temp and ppm are right where I want them, but I might add some more nutes to get them ready for flowering in a couple weeks! :thumb:
Rebloom_6_013.jpg

Here is a top view of the tent, see how crazy big Jenny is getting!?! If all goes well she might yield even more than Queen Sativa did...
Rebloom_6_014.jpg

Oh yeah, I dug the tomato plant out of the soil and relocated it outside. Darth Yaddle will take that spot in the tent once I put her in a DWC bucket :)

Anyhoo, so it looks like the girls are happy and at this point my only concern is Jenny's size, she is growing exponentially fast and could easily end up taking over half the tent after another 2 weeks of veg. I guess that's not such a bad problem to have, all things considered :laughtwo:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

I have been getting some questions regarding the reasoning behind manifolding training method and why it yields so well, here are a couple pictures to help visualize the concept :cheer:

This is a quick sketch I did to show the difference between an untrained plant with one main cola (left) versus a plant manifolded into 8 main colas.

Untrained_vs_Manifold.jpg

Here are a couple pictures that I borrowed from Nebula Haze's cannabis training overview that help understand how to make the most of your light:

The inverse squared law states that as you move a given distance away from a light source (say, 1 ft vs 2 ft) the intensity will diminish by a factor of 4. So if you had a lux of 50,000 at 1 foot from the light, the lux would only be 12,500 at a distance of 2 feet away. This is a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

inverse-square-law-light.jpg

natural-vs-lst-cannabis-sweet-spot.jpg

Hopefully these images help illustrate how if you want to maximize your yield for your space, you want as many main colas to be getting as much light as possible. But not too much light or you will get bleaching (this happened to some of Queen Sativa's tallest colas).

:Namaste:

Edit: This applies to indoor growing only. Outside the sun provides enough light that the inverse square law's effect is negligible. This is why outdoor growers don't have to train their plants to the same level as indoor growers, because the whole plant is getting plenty of light :)

Great progress Frizz! You are the hydro guru here! Keep it up! :thumb:

Thanks Tomula! I am still learning something new every day :love: Speaking of learning...I will need to pick your brain soon regarding Yaddle, I feel like giving her some kind of "tea" or "drench" but am unsure of where to begin. I will have pics for you in a day or two, just topped her into 8 colas last night! :cheer:

Oh Herro!

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine

Why hello there sir!! Nice of you to drop in. :thumb: Hey forum folks, Jtay is my next door neighbor! :) I will be teaching him and his wife how to apply my grow methods starting real soon here! #communitycannabis! :circle-of-love:

Sometimes I feel like I won the jackpot when I find an awesome journal like this one. Thank you for sharing and being so detailed in your answers and just WOW! Subbed is an understatement. I'm hear to learn and I just got a lesson well worth the time. More in this one thread than all the home work I have done before starting my first.

I humbly present my first grow and first journal and already look forward to my next in no small part to the information you shared here. You will see, we have a similar setup. :bravo:

First Grow - RDWC - Big Buddha Blue Cheese - FEM - Winter/Spring 2017

Sometimes I feel like I won the jackpot when I find an awesome journal like this one. Thank you for sharing and being so detailed in your answers and just WOW! Subbed is an understatement. I'm hear to learn and I just got a lesson well worth the time. More in this one thread than all the home work I have done before starting my first.

I humbly present my first grow and first journal and already look forward to my next in no small part to the information you shared here. You will see, we have a similar setup. :bravo:

First Grow - RDWC - Big Buddha Blue Cheese - FEM - Winter/Spring 2017

Speechless after reading your comment! Thank you so much! :love: This helps to fill the place in my heart that misses my students.

I also popped over to your grow and I have to say good work so far, I gave one recommendation for a slight nute tweak but overall amazing work and I really like how you broke down the first post by days!! :bravo:

Hey Frizz, hope you're doing well! That's awesome to hear you might have a little one of your own sometime soon! Wish you all the best homie. Take it easy. Homegrown is the best medicine :)

Definitely stoked to see who does better between the two yaddles. I have a slight feeling the dark side may win this battle. We'll have to wait and see! Your girls are getting big! Especially Jenny, holy smokes. What really gets me is that you say "2 more weeks" should be good. I've never had growth rate like that in soil. I have much to learn about the hydroponic ways haha. I absolutely agree with NorCalHomeGro when they refer to this journal as an information jackpot. Keep up the great work! :ganjamon:

Looking good, though i would be using fulvic acid instead of humic acid in your system, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback GWB! In terms of currently available research, yes I agree with you 100%! :thumb: Fulvic acid is preferred in hydro because the molecules are much smaller and thus more bioavailable to the plant's cells and fulvic acid even has higher levels of oxygen! Plus fulvic is lighter in color and "cleaner" so it would make less of a mess in the res.

BUT... if you have learned anything about me by now, you know that I like to push boundaries and explore new ideas. So here is my "master plan" for using humic acid:

I want the best of both hydro and soil. :cheer:

Hydro scores better in quantitative measures (yield, growth rate, recovery rate, potency, etc), while soil growers report more qualitative benefits (improved taste/smell/beautiful plant/terpenes etc).

I did some research into what exactly causes these benefits to be expressed in soil but not hydro and the general consensus is that it is still not well understood but perhaps the microbial activity and secondary breakdown of nutrients in the soil has something to do with it. (Soil peeps feel free to chime in here!!)

My hope is that by adding humic acid (which contains a lot more "stuff" that is not broken down than the relatively filtered and pristine fulvic acid) there will be a higher possibility of interactions with the friendly bacteria in the system.

Eventually I want to grow organically in hydro, using custom nutes made from my ducks and/or rabbits droppings. So tinkering with humic acid is my first step towards determining the viability of this method :)

Here are the girls today: I might have to flower in 1 week rather than 2, they just won't stop growing!! Jenny, plz go take a union break or something! :love:

Rebloom_6_1_003.jpg

In other news....there has been a disturbance in the Force...Darth Yaddle awakens! She is now producing new growth tips and I will move her into DWC real soon here.

Rebloom_6_1_004.jpg

Hmm I guess this turned into kind of a longer post than was originally intended :laugh:

Thanks again for the feedback and I would definitely like to run a side by side some time with humic vs fulvic acid on some clones to truly find out what the differences are between them :thanks::Namaste:

Edit: Yaddle and her clone Darth Yaddle will not be put into flower this round. I am going to let them veg in a separate room into 32 cola monsters each and then flower them together and compare the results :)

Very cool, Hydro is pretty alien to me, but i like that you can go organic with it now, or mostly organic. Flood and drain interests me but i am not really set up here to try it currently.

I always ponder other growing styles and techniques as well. I had an idea for making a SIPs organic no till tub out of a huge rubbermaid. piping running underneath a layer of rock and fill to the top of the rock with water, then the remaining 2/3's being soil that wicks up moisture. You could then run a airline pumping oxygen right into the medium and root mass. Organic + hydro sort'ish ... lol.

There are so many different ways to grow, it really just comes down to preferred method and budget/space.

Hi Frizz, just sub'd to follow along. How big of a chiller are you using? Looking awesome btw...

Ok, thanks. I was curious, because I am already seeing temps go just a tad higher than I like in the water. I am using Z7, so that will help, but prefer to be safe. I think I will be adding one shortly...

Welcome aboard Adam and thank you Latitude for addressing his question! :circle-of-love:

My grow tent ambient temps are normally 80-85 degrees F throughout the day, and so without a chiller my bucket temps go from 60's to 80 in 2 days. :laugh: Definitely a good investment if you are running HID lighting and growing upstairs like me, haha! And heck even if not, it's still awesome to have complete control over every variable that goes into your plants roots!

Back
Top Bottom