TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Thank you so much! I've learned so much since I've been a part of this conversation.

That graph made so much sense!! I've been noticing what I thought was a mag deficiency. Turns out it was because I wasn't allowing the ph to swing. EC was a little high but nothing crazy.

So you've massaged 16 colas out of your plants?? That's insane!! What kind of yields are you getting?? I'd love to see some of your finished product

420-magazine-mobile1347367797.jpg
The ladies say high!!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey Frizz, hope you're doing well. Your plants are looking great as usual :) Also cool that your boyfriend is in on the gardening. His plant looks dank. I'm just going to take some notes on how you do your dwc if that's chill. Really helpful info here. Just a few questions for you.
1. Does your dwc set up have a brand, and where did you get it from?
2. About how much did your whole dwc set up cost?
3. How big is your tent?

Keep up the savvy work. I'm stoked for the narrative to come!

Hey Frizz, hope you're doing well. Your plants are looking great as usual :) Also cool that your boyfriend is in on the gardening. His plant looks dank. I'm just going to take some notes on how you do your dwc if that's chill. Really helpful info here. Just a few questions for you.
1. Does your dwc set up have a brand, and where did you get it from?
2. About how much did your whole dwc set up cost?
3. How big is your tent?

Keep up the savvy work. I'm stoked for the narrative to come!

If you don't mind I can tell you mine cost me $225 shipped on eBay. And it's nothing fancy. Trust me! But it was all inclusive minus the media. I know I could build one for cheaper but I wanted to start growing asap. (before the wife changed her mind). Most kits come with precut piping too so it will limit your spacing and configurations.

Thank you so much! I've learned so much since I've been a part of this conversation.

That graph made so much sense!! I've been noticing what I thought was a mag deficiency. Turns out it was because I wasn't allowing the ph to swing. EC was a little high but nothing crazy.

So you've massaged 16 colas out of your plants?? That's insane!! What kind of yields are you getting?? I'd love to see some of your finished product

Your ladies are beautiful!! Nice fat healthy green leaves. You should start a journal so we can follow you!! :cheer: :love:

As for yield and quality, you can read through my first grow journal (Blue Dream in DWC) for a more detailed overview. Here are some pics to give you an idea of what to expect:

Brief recap:
-Each plant was split into 16 main colas and I trained them so I had one cola per square in the net
-Veg time: 50 days
-Flower time: 68 days

Canopy shortly before harvest

Pre-harvest_016.jpg

Before trimming. That's a 2 liter bottle for scale.

Harvest_time_008.jpg

Showing my weighing method, I snipped the dry buds off each cola, plopped them on the scale, and recorded the data in a spreadsheet

Post_harvest_011.jpg

Dry weight analysis for the whole grow. Would have been better if I didn't accidentally break a few colas during training hehe :laughtwo:

Harvest_Data-_Blue_Dream_2016.png

And the final result, jars of awesomeness! If you want a smoke report I posted one in that journal :)

Post_harvest_013.jpg

The actual dry weight came out to 31 oz after they were done curing in the jars but still, I was quite happy with that for my first grow :thumb:

Thank you so much for the feedback Dankest and I really appreciate your positive comments towards my narrative :) Here are my answers to your questions:

1. and 2.) The first DWC setup I used (4x 5 gallon buckets with tubing and air pump and stones) was a $99 setup from Amazon by PowerGrow Systems. My current setup cost roughly $230 from HydroWest Aquabuckets (also 4x 5 gallons but with a reservoir as well). The chiller cost another $250 (I bought the 1/10 HP one) and is TOTALLY WORTH IT! :cheer: Dealing with high water temps in separate buckets was super annoying over the summer.

3.) My tent is 4 feet by 4 feet, I find it is just the right size for my grow method :)

:thanks::Namaste:

Wow those are some ginormous colas... i am very impressed.. so you get those from the method you have shown in the previous posts on this thread? Does the way you snap the branches make them stronger to hold those beefy buds as well? ��

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks! :love: Some of Queen Sativa's colas were wider than my fist! :cheer:

Yes, manifolding will lead to dense, beefy colas because the plant is not wasting energy on small lateral side growth. The supercropping and bending helps to thicken the stems so the plant can send more nutrients up to the buds.

Think of it like adding more lanes to the road- the wider the road, the more traffic can pass through. :laugh: This does also improve the sturdiness of the limbs and allow them to support the massive colas that they will eventually become!

Let me know if you have any more questions :thanks:

Ok great so to narrow it down you cut off all the lower growth then bend the branches until they snap a little then do you continue to snap the branches or is it just the one time? And when do you stop cutting off the lower growth and let it grow? If at all.. And also when exactly do you start manifolding and supercropping your young ones?

Ok great so to narrow it down you cut off all the lower growth then bend the branches until they snap a little then do you continue to snap the branches or is it just the one time? And when do you stop cutting off the lower growth and let it grow? If at all.. And also when exactly do you start manifolding and supercropping your young ones?

Im definitely going to apply this method to one of my plants next grow and see the differences between the plants

I repeat this defoliation/bending every week. I will stop cutting off lower growth about 1 week before flowering so they can have the entire upper canopy made of bud sites :)

As far as when I started training, I first topped them when they reached 5 nodes. I topped down to the 3rd node. If you want a really good overview of this method please Google "Nebula Haze manifold tutorial", she is awesome!

Edit: In case you missed my post earlier, please do NOT go crazy with the defoliation if you are a soil grower. Your plants take longer to grow and recover and so this might extend your veg time to an unreasonable length if you brutalize her too much. I will be using Yaddle to test this method in soil but she is just one plant, please don't risk your whole grow!

Great thank you so much, i will remember what you said about them taking longer to recover.

I would recommend you also follow Tomula on this forum, he uses a method that sounds like what you are aiming for- manifolding in soil.

Your ladies are beautiful!! Nice fat healthy green leaves. You should start a journal so we can follow you!! :cheer: :love:

Thank you!! I'd love to start a journal but I've only been able to get this far with my phone. I'm not too computer savvy. I did start a thread in the dwc forum. "Another noob grow!" You might be able to find it in my posts. As I am that new and haven't said much yet lol. There's a couple local guys that are subbed in on their first grow too.

Thank you!! I'd love to start a journal but I've only been able to get this far with my phone. I'm not too computer savvy. I did start a thread in the dwc forum. "Another noob grow!" You might be able to find it in my posts. As I am that new and haven't said much yet lol. There's a couple local guys that are subbed in on their first grow too.

Found it and posted! Keep up the good work!! :love:

Thank you so much for the feedback Dankest and I really appreciate your positive comments towards my narrative :) Here are my answers to your questions:

1. and 2.) The first DWC setup I used (4x 5 gallon buckets with tubing and air pump and stones) was a $99 setup from Amazon by PowerGrow Systems. My current setup cost roughly $230 from HydroWest Aquabuckets (also 4x 5 gallons but with a reservoir as well). The chiller cost another $250 (I bought the 1/10 HP one) and is TOTALLY WORTH IT! :cheer: Dealing with high water temps in separate buckets was super annoying over the summer.

3.) My tent is 4 feet by 4 feet, I find it is just the right size for my grow method :)

:thanks::Namaste:

Anytime Frizz :) Really appreciate the hot tips! I'm definitely considering the HydroWest w/ chiller on my next grow. Probably need to shut down for a little bit after my current cycle is done to save $$$. But once I'm back I'll have a much larger grow space and be all dwc! Thanks a ton for all the help! :thanks:

Really stoked to see your training technique on the Yaddle. That's a great name haha. Don't work too hard man, have a good one :ganjamon:

Out of curiosity, what type of air stone (insert bubble-maker-thinggy name here) is in your system? Specs?

:nomo:

Good question! I use the 4 inch cylindrical ones, but I am considering switching to the flat circular ones that sit on the bottom because I feel like that shape would produce bubbles more uniformly throughout the bucket.

Anytime Frizz :) Really appreciate the hot tips! I'm definitely considering the HydroWest w/ chiller on my next grow. Probably need to shut down for a little bit after my current cycle is done to save $$$. But once I'm back I'll have a much larger grow space and be all dwc! Thanks a ton for all the help! :thanks:

Really stoked to see your training technique on the Yaddle. That's a great name haha. Don't work too hard man, have a good one :ganjamon:

Thanks for the feedback Dankest! I am super excited for Yaddle too since I have never grown cannabis in soil before :cheer: It will be fun to see how the two compare over the next few months....Yaddle in soil vs Darth Yaddle her clone in DWC. Light side vs dark!! :)

Yeah I feel ya on the $$$ thing, just found out I might be pregnant and I currently have no health insurance or income haha! At least I will be able to treat my potential morning sickness with homegrown goodness! :thumb:

Whew roller coaster of emotions! Feel free to skip this intro right to the actual grow update if you want, I just needed a place to vent this all out. :love:

So a bit of background, I have had this arm implant type of BC for 3 years now and it expired in February (so last month). All the signs and symptoms of implantation were there a week ago but both pregnancy tests have come back negative!!.

However, I actually got really upset when I saw the results, because I had spent these last few days rationalizing "Hey maybe this IS a good time to have a kid, you're already off work so you could stay home and grow all the food and take care of the kiddo while taking classes". :cheer: Plus my parents only live 10 minutes away so we would have a solid support network.

So, my boyfriend and I made a deal. Rather than having a new implant put in my arm, or using some other contraceptive, we are going to wait 6 months to use any new BC and just "see what happens" :) This means there might be a lil Frizz 2.0 running around in a year, how fun would that be! Maybe my new grow goal could be to produce a cola wider than baby's head in diameter :laugh:

Anyways sorry if that was tmi, I just really needed to get this off my chest. We haven't told anyone yet about this in person so I figured an anonymous forum with some awesome folks would be a good place to start! :circle-of-love:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SKIP TO HERE IF YOU JUST WANT THE GROW UPDATE! :thumb:

First off, the humic acid addition has been a partial success. I say partial because it turns out adding 1 oz to my system was wayy too much and my pH went up to 7, oh no! :thedoubletake:This caused the plants to begin to turn a pale green/yellow after a day or two due to malabsorption of nutrients so I decided action was needed!

So I removed 5 gallons of liquid (pH 7.0, 290 ppm) from the reservoir. See how it basically looks like coffee, haha!

Rebloom_5_003.jpg

Then, I mixed a fresh batch of 5 gallons of nutes to replace the liquid I took out. I added 1/2 tbsp of each of the Jack's powders (General, Calcium Nitrate, and Blossom Booster) to 5 gallons of tap water and achieved a ppm of ~450 and a pH of 5.7. I reduced it further down to 5.0 to balance out my reservoir, and added the mix to my res.

Here we are after a couple hours, aw yeah 5.80 right on the dot!!! :cheer: See, you don't need to flush your whole res folks, just "tinker" :)

0013378.jpg

I did this nute x-change a couple days ago and the girls have been returning to their green color and are now growing faster than they were before! They also have more fruity smells than my other grows did at this point in veg. So I did some reading and it turns out that potassium is essential in terpene production. Humic acid is actually "potassium humate" by composition, so this makes a lot of sense!

Ok enough about humic acid, I still have years of research to do on that. Let's look at the girls! :circle-of-love:

Muffinz was looking super bushy so I decided to give her a haircut and some bending. I am very happy with the symmetry on her, it was nice to practice this training method on Jenny and Monique first!

Rebloom_5_5_017.jpg

Rebloom_5_5_018.jpg

Rebloom_5_5_019.jpg

Here is a quick update on Yaddle the CBD Therapy plant in soil. She seems to be responding quite well to the fact that I literally chopped her in half 7 days ago and left her with two fan leaves and two tiny growth tips. :cheer:

One week ago:

Rebloom_4_5_003.jpg

Those tiny growth tips now have almost 3 full nodes of growth each!! I have only watered her once since putting her in the tent on Feb 27th. This whole soil thing really is not as annoying as I was expecting! :) *knocks on wood*

Rebloom_5_5_020.jpg

Darth Yaddle (her clone) has been trying to fill up her new cup with roots this past week. I will include an update on her once she has been moved into her DWC bucket :cheer:

An update on Sidney will come next, and I also will share the prototype for a massive DWC project I am starting in my living room...hydroponic year-round asparagus harvest!!

Here are Monique (left) Jenny (right) and Muffinz (back) after bending today
Rebloom_5_5_023.jpg

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are much appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

More questions (and congrats, I'm sorry, good luck!)

You mentioned using a chiller before. How different has it made things in this grow? Ambient temperatures affected at all? What's your average reservoir temp? How do you measure your temperatures?

Brand/Model?

Back
Top Bottom