TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Yes, my air temps have been between 76 and 82 until today. Today was pretty warm where I am and I saw my temp in my tent go above 85. Water temp was at 72 fairly steady until today. I saw water temp of 75 -77 so I dropped a couple of medium sized frozen water bottles in to the control bucket to help...definitely going to have to get a chiller. I am using 2 Mars Hydro LED's pulling a total of just of 600w from the wall...they run cooler than my old HID 1000w light, but still do generate some heat.

Hello wonderful 420 commmunity! Things are going very well, the plants are almost silky to the touch and are a lovely shade of vibrant green. A pleasantly subtle sweet smell persists inside the grow tent now :)

First of all today I added a 5 gallon batch of nutes: tap water, 1/2 tbsp of each of the three Jack's powders, 1 scoop Great White. Came out to ~480 ppm and pH 6.0, so I dumped it in the res without further tinkering. This is my "pre flowering booster" batch, and they will get another tasty meal in a week when I flip the lights :morenutes:

The current system stats are as follows:

Ambient temp: 81 degrees F
Water temp: 69 degrees F
Humidity: 37%
Water pH: 6.14
Water ppm: 387

Today I came to a highly subjective realization: Jenny is a freaking goddess!! :love: I mean look at this fan leaf, I don't even like fan leaves in general as a matter of principle, but I am in love with hers!!! Looks like something the elves would grow in Lothlorien...

Rebloom_7_001.jpg

Being that as it may, I decided I want MOAR JENNY'S! So I did a bit of pruning and removed her single shortest/weakest cola, and two lateral shoots in the middle growth area to serve as clones. I also transplanted Darth Yaddle into this container for now, I removed her two old leaves so now she is resting. I hope she will now direct all energy into those two growth tips.

Soaking the hydroton in pH 5.5 water, Great White added but no nutes. This is the medium the clones will be submerged in.

Rebloom_7_002.jpg

My MacGuyver'd clone room. A leftover container from QFC which previously contained a delicious fruit tart. :laugh: I buried it to prevent light from getting to the roots. Darth Yaddle is in the center, and the three Jenny clones on the perimeter. I wonder if they will be corrupted by Darth...we shall see!!

I left the intact upper growth tips because I don't like the look of cut-in-half fan leaves for some reason hehe. I have never cloned cannabis before so we'll see how this whole lil venture turns out!

Rebloom_7_003.jpg
Rebloom_7_005.jpg
Rebloom_7_006.jpg
Rebloom_7_007.jpg

We also did some bending and topping and gave haircuts to the ladies today. :cheer:

Whole tent before the mayhem:
Rebloom_7_008.jpg

My bf did some bending and nipping on his plant Sidney here
Rebloom_7_009.jpg

I gave Jenny some moderate defol (1-2 big fan leaves per branch) and bending, she is starting to become quite uniform as a canopy!

Rebloom_7_011.jpg

Here is Muffinz before her waxing at the salon. Seriously, it makes me feel itchy when my plants leaves start overlapping like that!! It feels so good to tidy them up :love::love: Am I weird or do other people feel this way too?

Rebloom_7_012.jpg

After, I also separated her into 16 tops by removing the apical stem at each of them main cola sites. She has one week to recover before I flower them :)

Rebloom_7_013.jpg

Rebloom_7_014.jpg

Here is the whole tent after their grooming- my goal is for the canopy to all eventually be the same height by continuously bending Jenny outwards and not allowing any more vertical growth past a certain height. By this time next week I want to be ready for flowering!!!

Rebloom_7_015.jpg

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome and appreciated!:thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Plants are looking lovely.. that is the most uniform and perfectly shaped sativa leaf ive seen, beautiful. A question for this update: how much was your dwc setup and do you need a 4x4 tent at least to make a decent setup?

Thanks Toasted!! To answer your question, here is what I said in a previous post "1. and 2.) The first DWC setup I used (4x 5 gallon buckets with tubing and air pump and stones) was a $99 setup from Amazon by PowerGrow Systems. My current setup cost roughly $230 from HydroWest Aquabuckets (also 4x 5 gallons but with a reservoir as well). The chiller cost another $250 (I bought the 1/10 HP one) and is TOTALLY WORTH IT! "

In terms of tent size, I truly believe that a 4x4 tent is ideal for my method (not too big, not too small, and accommodates 4 mid-large plants perfectly in flowering). However, the concepts should still work in a smaller tent, you will just have a smaller yield due to less space. In your size tent I would grow two plants with 16 colas each. :)

I really like the Manifold post Frizz. Nice stuff!! Great day!

Thanks Dutchess! Good to hear from ya, I am always here if you have any questions! :circle-of-love:

+1 .

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yay NorCal!!! :cheer:

Hi folks, time for a mini-update! A lot of people are asking about veg times and I so figured this would be a good time/place to discuss it!

First of all I highly recommend perusing this thread (at least the first post, lots of visuals!) which explains how you can roughly double your yield for every two weeks you extend veg in hydro. How vegetative growth time exponentially affects yield

Even if time is a constraint for you, it is still more efficient to let the plant veg a bit longer because you will end up yielding more for the amount of total grow time and electricity used.

To give an idea of how much things can change in 1 month, here is a flashback to a picture I took on February 14th:

See how Sidney and Muffinz in the back are basically just seedlings at this point? I think I transplanted them a day or two before this.

Rebloom_10941.jpg

Here are pictures I took of them about 10 minutes ago. This is after 33 days of growth in RDWC.

Muffinz with her now 16 growth tips as of last night. Top view

Rebloom_7_1_001.jpg

Under the skirt view so you can see her structure

Rebloom_7_1_003.jpg

Sidney top view, she will remain as 8 main colas this grow. I want to compare yield between her and Muffinz, 8 vs 16 tops :)

Rebloom_7_1_002.jpg

Bottom view of Sidney

Rebloom_7_1_004.jpg

Technically I could flower them now, but by waiting one more week and allowing the stems to thicken and spread out more I will have a much better "base" to form giant baseball bat sized colas during flowering :surf::party:

This means the plants ages (I count from days since transplanting them into the net pots) will be the following when I switch to flower in a week:

Sidney and Muffinz- 40 days from seedlings (5.7 weeks)
Jenny and Monique- 56 days from seedlings (8 weeks)

Note: Yaddle was germinated at the same time as Jenny and Monique but it is not fair to compare them, I mean cmon she grew up in a freaking sock!! :laugh:

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Thanks frizz.. i think i have a total of 30 tops between my three plants. They are really only taking up a 2x2 area of the tent. Mostly cause my 300w led is kinda small and doesnt seem to have much of a footprint so i have them all sqiushed together.

Will this cause the buds that grow to be light and fluffy? Also not as potent cause of all the bud sites and not enough light?

300W LED 2x4x5 Tent Soil Grow

Thanks frizz.. i think i have a total of 30 tops between my three plants. They are really only taking up a 2x2 area of the tent. Mostly cause my 300w led is kinda small and doesnt seem to have much of a footprint so i have them all sqiushed together.

Will this cause the buds that grow to be light and fluffy? Also not as potent cause of all the bud sites and not enough light?

Also was really neat to see what the plants can do in a little over a month.. they seem to grow so slow when you check them everyday but when you go back and look at old pics its awesome.

Yeah it really is amazing what plants can do! :love:

As for your question, I would say that generally bud size is impacted by the following:

1.) How thick is the stem the bud is attached to?
2.) How much light is the bud receiving?

The buds at the tops of my ~60 main colas 1st grow averaged between 8-12g each. The small lateral buds dangling at the bottom of the canopy only averaged 1 gram each.

A couple are as thick as a mcdonalds straw, most are as thick as a normal straw. Only two or three are coffee stirrer size.

I have a lux meter app on my phone and it ranges from 40-30k on the top of the canopy where most of the bud sites are and 15-30k for the lower sites using a 300w led at 16-20" away. So hopefully ill have at least a few good sized colas!

Im gonna flip my ladies later this week how long after will i be certain they really are the beautiful girls ive always dreamed of? 7-10 days?

Remember that one post where I joked about making a slingshot from my plants after harvest? Well...it just happened!!! :cheer:

First off here is a lil comparison, Derpy (left, yielded ~6oz) and Queen Sativa (right, yielded ~11 oz). Notice the difference in the root thickness. Queen Sativa has a strong taproot system while Derpy has a few thin side shoots. These differences were apparent since the time they were seedlings.

Slingshot_001.jpg

I tossed Derpy with the other plant stems in a pile of yard debris, but she seems to have weathered well enough. It is cool to see the super fibrous skin, I can totally understand how hemp is such a valuable textile after feeling this! Queen Sativa's stem was allowed to "season/dry age" in the garage so the plant material is now lightweight and extremely strong. I will be using her to make the slingshot :)

Step 1.) Manicure! I cleaned up the root mass, leaving what I felt to be a tasteful amount attached

Slingshot_002.jpg

Step 2.) Whittle/sand the two tallest stem tips into smooth curved shapes that will accommodate the elastic tube...rubber..urgh. Damn it there's no way to describe this step without it sounding dirty!

Slingshot_003.jpg
Slingshot_004.jpg

Step 3.) Lubricate the curved ends of the slingshot (I used coconut oil) and slide on the...rubber :laugh:GODAMNIT THIS SOUNDS EVEN DIRTIER THAN STEP 2! Whatever here's a picture.

Slingshot_005.jpg

Step 4.) Drill a hole through the stem parallel to the Y shape. Attach the wrist strap section through the drilled hole.

Slingshot_007.jpg
Slingshot_006.jpg

Step 5.) Wrap in black leather for comfort, durability, and style.

Slingshot_008.jpg

Step 6.) "I have a slingshot and I want to painttttt it blaaaacccck". Ok actually the stain I used was "Java", not black. Here she is after her coat of gel. I also tinted the metal and the pocket and the rubber to match.

Slingshot_009.jpg
Slingshot_010.jpg
Slingshot_011.jpg

Not too bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself :) I think this will start a new Frizz tradition- I will immortalize the best plant from each grow in the form of a slingshot!

A couple are as thick as a mcdonalds straw, most are as thick as a normal straw. Only two or three are coffee stirrer size.

I have a lux meter app on my phone and it ranges from 40-30k on the top of the canopy where most of the bud sites are and 15-30k for the lower sites using a 300w led at 16-20" away. So hopefully ill have at least a few good sized colas!

Im gonna flip my ladies later this week how long after will i be certain they really are the beautiful girls ive always dreamed of? 7-10 days?

Wow that is so awesome... my plants definitely arent that strong holy cow!

Thanks! Your plants will be one day too if they eat their spinach! Good for beefy arms :) :cheer:

I think I recall that the *ideal* range for flowering max yield is between 50-80k lux. However measuring LED's with lux meters is not always accurate so maybe yours does fall into this range. The colas sound solid, I would say give them all a good pinch (supercrop) and let them recover a day or two. Once they are growing vertically again, switch to flower. Your colas will be about 25% thicker after just 2 extra days.

For your final question, do you mean if the plants are males or females? That is actually a question that I don't know off the top of my head since I have only experienced feminized seed before. Perhaps some of our more experienced growers could chime in here :love:

Last week i bent all the tops down and again last night.. broke one off unfortunately but oh well im sure it happens. Idk if im supercropping but its close enough if i ended up breaking one off.

I might end up buying a better light in a few weeks though so i wont have to worry about it. Yea thats what i meant male or female sorry.. ok cool thanks frizz.

Hey Frizz, I can see you've been busy! Jenny has beautiful leaves. Shows you take very good care of your crew c: And you even started some clones at about the same time I did. Are you just soaking the stems in a rapid rooter and coco pellets? I'm trying to clone but planting in dirt isn't as successful as it once was lol. Also, do you keep the clones under the same light as your plants? I thought that would fry them while their working on their roots. I could be entirely wrong though haha.

That's exciting you're flipping to flower in a week! Have you seen any pistil action? Hope is on day 71 and is showing a few :D
Ps: I think it's super cool you actually made a slingshot out of the plant stem :bravo: It looks absolutely killer. Especially digging the all black. I have two stems saved for same purpose. I just need to get the accessories.

Your garden looks top notch as always! Keep up the savvy work :ganjamon:

Last week i bent all the tops down and again last night.. broke one off unfortunately but oh well im sure it happens. Idk if im supercropping but its close enough if i ended up breaking one off.

I might end up buying a better light in a few weeks though so i wont have to worry about it. Yea thats what i meant male or female sorry.. ok cool thanks frizz.

No worries, I did that accidentally to Jenny today too! Broke the tip of this branch clean off like a piece of juicy asparagus haha!

Day_1_GLR_006.jpg

So I decided to turn it into another clone and added it with the others. She is in the top right corner. Seeee, it was totally intentional. Mhhhhm :) :slide:

Day_1_GLR_007.jpg

Hey Frizz, I can see you've been busy! Jenny has beautiful leaves. Shows you take very good care of your crew c: And you even started some clones at about the same time I did. Are you just soaking the stems in a rapid rooter and coco pellets? I'm trying to clone but planting in dirt isn't as successful as it once was lol. Also, do you keep the clones under the same light as your plants? I thought that would fry them while their working on their roots. I could be entirely wrong though haha.

That's exciting you're flipping to flower in a week! Have you seen any pistil action? Hope is on day 71 and is showing a few :D
Ps: I think it's super cool you actually made a slingshot out of the plant stem :bravo: It looks absolutely killer. Especially digging the all black. I have two stems saved for same purpose. I just need to get the accessories.

Your garden looks top notch as always! Keep up the savvy work :ganjamon:

Thanks very much Dankest! I posted my clone method a page or two back. The difference is that now I have them all sitting in pH 5.5 water together with hydroton to hold them up (and I think it looks super cute!).

At their current location in the tent the clones are receiving approximately 24k lux which I believe is suitable for that stage in development. :cheer:

No white pistils yet but they are still relatively young :)

Thanks for the positive feedback and I am excited to hear that you will be making slingshots from your plants as well! Perhaps we can have an EPIC DUEL and launch buds at each other from across Puget Sound, yaaaas?!?! :thumb:

Today is Day 1 of the 7 day countdown to flower! I switched the lighting from 18 on/6 off to the Gas Lantern Routine. Here is a quick recap of what GLR is and how I will be using it:

12 hours of light
5.5 hours of dark
1 hour light
5.5 hrs dark

Total: 24 hrs. Rinse and repeat. I will be doing this for the next week. The hour of light in the middle interrupts the plant hormone cycle, preventing them from actually flowering. My reasoning is that by giving the plant 11 hours of darkness, levels of flowering hormones will begin to build up ahead of time, making for a faster transition to flower than going straight from 18/6! Or something like that :)

Some growers use this method all throughout veg to save on electricity costs and see results that are similar to 24/0 or 18/6. I might try that next grow, since I'm not working it would be nice to save a few $$ :cheer:

I did heavy defol today on Jenny and Monique, removing the majority of large fan leaves to really focus on the plant structure. This week is my last chance to "aim" the colas where I want them to end up after the stretch.

Day_1_GLR_001.jpg
Day_1_GLR_002.jpg

Yaddle seems to be taking her training quite well! I am rather bothered by her leaves that only have 4 tips but perhaps that happened as a result of transplant stress. Soil growers what do you think? Does Yaddle need some sort of tasty organic potion or should I let her be?

Day_1_GLR_003.jpg

Here are Muffinz and Sidney, I didn't take off any leaves, just bent them outwards. Looking nice and uniform!

Day_1_GLR_005.jpg

Day_1_GLR_004.jpg

Here are a couple of whole tent pics for perspective. The bottom of Jenny's canopy is the general height at which I will "allow" growth to remain. Everything below gets snipped, everything above that gets to turn into a forest of bud! ...... :allgood:

Day_1_GLR_008.jpg
Day_1_GLR_009.jpg

As always, questions, comments and feedback are welcome! :thanks::Namaste: I will update each day as the COUNTDOWN TO FLOWER progresses!

~TheFrizz

Back
Top Bottom