Thoughts on bud Back Building

Chuckeye

Greetings,

Casual research leads me to think this technique has the potential to increase yields.....

Or just be visually stunning seeing only solid buds over a foot long :yahoo:

The concept is the buds will build sideways instead of up....

I might be a bit early (?) at 3 1/2 weeks of flower but I think I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

My Apple Betty is closest to my original plan, roughly 12 tops and vigorous.

After 27 days she has only stretched an inch in the last three days.......

Yield and height control aren't the issue, Curiosity is ;)

Whatcha think ?

The Girls tonight....

Day 25 Golden Tiger Bud 29 Mar 23.jpg

Day 25 Malawi bud 29 Mar 23.jpg

Day 25 Wild Thailand bud 29 Mar 23.jpg

Day 25 Apple Betty bud 29 Mar 23.jpg

Day 25 Apple Betty bud Close up 29 Mar 23.jpg

Day 23 The Girls 27 Mar 23.jpg

Cheers

What’s up Chuckeye?

copied from Light Addicts comments, this part stuck out to me.…. Simply put you want to be past mid way of flower. Or whenever you believe the buds to be of a good developed size.

those gorgeous puffballs look too delicate to be hacked on… but maybe if you do decide to give them a backbuild- only do half of a plant. For example take 2 fat colas roughly same size - trim one and leave one.

anyway - please keep us posted on what you discover

What’s up Chuckeye?

copied from Light Addicts comments, this part stuck out to me.…. Simply put you want to be past mid way of flower. Or whenever you believe the buds to be of a good developed size.

those gorgeous puffballs look too delicate to be hacked on… but maybe if you do decide to give them a backbuild- only do half of a plant. For example take 2 fat colas roughly same size - trim one and leave one.

anyway - please keep us posted on what you discover
Thanks for your reply !

I've decided to wait a bit and plan to do half of the Apple Betty for sure, maybe one each on the rest the girls.....

Cheers

While growing outdoors a couple years ago my top buds started poking over the fence line. I saw them one day driving up to the house. I couldn't have that now could I?

So I went in the back yard and just chopped the tops of the buds back down below the fence line. Those buds I topped totally grew fatter than the rest. They still developed, but laterally.

I had to read up on what you were mentioning. My technique (if you could call it that) was a butcher/hack job. It wasn't to fatten up, but the results were as mentioned in the short reading I did for it.

As others mention I think you could wait a touch longer, but my research on the topic is minimal at best.

Did this years ago, with various results.
There is an old thread, ive linked it here

I highly suggest reading the entire thread Amadeus linked, it answered every question I had on the technique.

Thanks for your reply !

I've decided to wait a bit and plan to do half of the Apple Betty for sure, maybe one each on the rest the girls.....

Cheers

Waiting is the right call. You want to be over half way, so 60% through flower, and yours need to develop more as you mentioned. Coincidentally I just did this two days ago, my update is linked here. Take a look at the bottom few pics and you'll see how developed they are, which should indicate what size yours need to be to make the cuts.

Another thing I'll mention, a lot of folks in the back building thread already did comparisons because they were curious. After 4-5 days they noticed such a huge difference (and in such a small amount of time, relatively speaking) they went back and finished off the buds they didn't cut to begin with. My suggestion: do them all, but NOT the buds on the second node down from the tops. Reason being they still have 4+ weeks to go at this point so I want those to grow vertically into the bud site above it, creating one big giant cola.

It's been 2 days since I did mine, and I do believe I can see a difference. They're starting to look like tear-drop golf balls, not apical christmas buds.

I highly suggest reading the entire thread Amadeus linked, it answered every question I had on the technique.

Waiting is the right call. You want to be over half way, so 60% through flower, and yours need to develop more as you mentioned. Coincidentally I just did this two days ago, my update is linked here. Take a look at the bottom few pics and you'll see how developed they are, which should indicate what size yours need to be to make the cuts.

Another thing I'll mention, a lot of folks in the back building thread already did comparisons because they were curious. After 4-5 days they noticed such a huge difference (and in such a small amount of time, relatively speaking) they went back and finished off the buds they didn't cut to begin with. My suggestion: do them all, but NOT the buds on the second node down from the tops. Reason being they still have 4+ weeks to go at this point so I want those to grow vertically into the bud site above it, creating one big giant cola.

It's been 2 days since I did mine, and I do believe I can see a difference. They're starting to look like tear-drop golf balls, not apical christmas buds.
Thanks @AspenCultivator !

I tried to read all of the @Light Addict Addict thread.

Twenty Five pages of asked and answered, over and over again ;)

Everything one needs to know on the first post, he, he...

Breeders guesstimate for Apple Betty is 65 days of flower, I'm at day 38 now.

She's still growing an inch every three days, I'll give her another couple of days and clip her :cool:

The rest are longer flowering so I'll decide later when to do them.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom