TimHomeagrow G13 Haze & Majin Buu In Soil

Day 39

The three smaller girls just got fed 4g MC...the new bag with the balls. A bit droopy from the watering. They are starting to fill out and take to their training.

The two on the right are the Majin Buu. They are a bit shorter and stockier, very close node spacing. Its not easy getting in there to train or see what's going on. I need to add more soil to all my containers but those Majin Buu nodes are so close to the soil I can't add any yet.
IMG_20210117_111549.jpg

The side tent auto, free Girl Scout Cookie, is doing well too. Not many leaves on her at all which is good for the bud sites. I'm just running the one 220w LED in a 32"x32"x60 tent. Lux reading it 32k-37k.
IMG_20210117_101518.jpg

As a first time photoperiod grower, I want to make sure I'm understanding when to flip to 12/12. I was thinking on the seventh week (day 49). Mostly sativa strains, fair to double the height or? They were topped after the 5th node and being trained.

Currently they are 11-13" tall. I can raise the light to 55" off the top of the soil, less 18" of clearance between the light and canopy, gives me 37" tall plants. Half that amount is 18" plants when I do the flip.

I'm thinking by next week they should be 14"-16" tall and at 49 days. Sound like a good plan to flip then?

As a first time photoperiod grower, I want to make sure I'm understanding when to flip to 12/12. I was thinking on the seventh week (day 49). Mostly sativa strains, fair to double the height or? They were topped after the 5th node and being trained.

Currently they are 11-13" tall. I can raise the light to 55" off the top of the soil, less 18" of clearance between the light and canopy, gives me 37" tall plants. Half that amount is 18" plants when I do the flip.

I'm thinking by next week they should be 14"-16" tall and at 49 days. Sound like a good plan to flip then?
Are you still going with scrog? I found the supper cropping got my canopy low and even and branches could hold up buds because of the chiropractic work done.. made it easy.. I could still take plants out so I could reach ones in the back for water, defoliation and adding amendments.

While my third grow, first grow with photo periods so this will be my first time doing defoliation.

Reading online, many sites say to do it once in veg, right before the light flip and again in early flower. But I'd rather hear some thoughts from real life growers here ;)

This girl is hard to get inside or get good airflow with some of those giant fan leaves. Would it be ok to do some defoliation now and some more before the light switch?

I'll be switching the light in about 3 weeks.
IMG_20210109_135321.jpg
Hey Tim! Looking good mate :goodjob:

re: defoliation, personally, I try to do few defoliations but am quite aggressive when I do. I will typically do 3 big defoliations:

- A day or so before the flip, removing all lower growth that isn’t going to get direct light or is going to stretch, only to be chopped next time due to crowding the same space as another flowering site. I leave fan leaves alone at this point if I can, only removing those to aid in air flow.
- Day 21-25 of flower - I remove lower growth that will become nothing more than popcorn. I remove fan leaves covering flowering sites that will remain. I remove fan leaves to aid air flow.
- Day 45 - I remove most of the large fan leaves, starting from the bottom.

When I defoliate, I’m imagining that the plant is going to be distributing its precious (finite) energy to what will remain after the defoliation. So what do I want the plant to put its energy into?

Bear in mind, fan leaves are your solar panels and the flower sites are your energy sinks - they use the most energy.

Ladies look great though :high-five:

:peace:

Three of my girls got bumped up to 3.5g of MC (the one with the balls) after two feedings of 3g. I'm thinking it was too much and I have some nitrogen toxicity with the clawed leaves and need to go back down to 3g of MC. Ph of my feed is 6.3-6.4. Also have some strange coloring on a few newer growth fan leaves, and it's a bit shiny. Thoughts? @Emilya @Mr. Sauga

IMG_20210117_215445.jpg

IMG_20210118_085646.jpg

IMG_20210118_091349.jpg

IMG_20210118_091715.jpg

Girls got fed this morning with a little less MC and already looking good! Still a little hook and some yellow tips on the new growth but I think that's residual effects from too much MC last feed......or so I hope so.

It's like day 50 and 15" tall it's time to get ready for the flip....ready or not ha. They are getting defoliated tomorrow and flipping a couple days after.

G13 Haze on the left and Majin Buu on the right....definite size difference.
IMG_20210122_181809.jpg

Hooked and yellow tips
IMG_20210122_182102.jpg

And the free auto Girl Scout Cookies in my old tent and old light. Along with a Majin Buu that split into two main stalks after the 1st node. She was struggling but coming along.
IMG_20210122_134211.jpg

Today was defoliation and a little super cropping. I removed everything below the 4th node from the tips....with the exception of some larger fan leaves below the canopy. I did take out the really big fans and any fans that pointed inwards.

Feels like I could do more, but also seems like I cut off a bunch. I figure I can take more off in a day or two, or 2 weeks into flowering. Also none of the leaves left look to be blocking anything, but seems a bit full when looking straight down.

Thoughts or suggestions on the first plant?

Before:

IMG_20210123_115348.jpg

IMG_20210123_115408.jpg

After:

IMG_20210123_123051.jpg

IMG_20210123_123042.jpg

IMG_20210123_123048.jpg

Well this is strange to me...... When defoliating the Majin Buu, the designer breeder for lack of a better term.....I see pistils. Is that normal before the light flip???

What would cause this on what's supposed to be a feminized photo that is still under 18hrs of light?

IMG_20210123_141745.jpg

IMG_20210123_140744.jpg

Looking good Tim!

Re the unexplained early pistils, I have found pistils on my outdoor plants 6 weeks before solstice, but only the barest few on the whole plant. Whereas pistil output is generally thought of to be triggered by the solstice and occurring a week or two after. I believe it is the plant's drive to reproduce where it may produce a handful of early pistils in an attempt to grab any stray pollen passing to at least make a seed or two. When this occurred last year I only realised because of the many pics I took and I only spotted one by chance from a pic, I had not been expecting them or indeed looking for them, I think at that stage on the whole plant I only found 2 or 3 at that early stage. Just a thought.

Looking good @Timhomegrow - your defoliation is spot on. And brave lol - I remember my first defoliation - I wasn't anywhere near as bold as you were - I wish i was though.

What would cause this on what's supposed to be a feminized photo that is still under 18hrs of light?
Your plants are "very ready to flower" -> Let the show begin :cheer:

Looking good @Timhomegrow - your defoliation is spot on. And brave lol - I remember my first defoliation - I wasn't anywhere near as bold as you were - I wish i was though.

Your plants are "very ready to flower" -> Let the show begin :cheer:
I was definitely a bit nervous ha. They recovered without missing a beat....getting the flip tomorrow. Let the games begin ;)
IMG_20210125_192841.jpg

The timer is set, later today they enter the 12/12 phase of life ;). With these 7 gal pots they sure do take a bunch of water .....nearly 2 gals per plants every four day. I fear it will be double that amount in mid to late flower. I'm getting a bit of a workout carrying 8 gallons down the stairs ha
IMG_20210127_072637.jpg

My side tent is doing well. The free GSC is really fattening up. A bit of a leaf spotting issue so I added some cal/mag.
IMG_20210127_070937.jpg

The photo in that tent is a little bush since it's main stalk split into two. She's bushy, may need some defoliation soon. I'm going to keep vegging her for a bit just to see....maybe get one monster plant ;)
IMG_20210127_071720.jpg

Back
Top Bottom