Topping autos

I've got a few words for you, mate:
Try some techniques yourself before you think you are the best grower in the world and know everything about every single growing technique. You keep arguing against better growers than yourself about the techniques they shouldn't be using. Techniques you've never tried for yourself. You find opinions from other people that are against these techniques (also people that haven't tried it for themselves) and try to bully those opinions onto others. To me that's one of the definitions of a not so smart being...
A little negative bro. Just an observation.

All I can say to you is: you do not know me. Leave it at that.
Don't make ASSumptions about me you know nothing about.

I only post advice I know personally and have studied the SCIENCE.

While I am very new to growing I studied my ass off before my first grow. Mainly grow indoors. I started 4 Gorilla Glue topped 2 just above 4th nob and then topped again after 3 nobs I now have 4 main stems I am Lst pulling them out towards the side of the pot. All 4 turned upwards day after being stretched out. I have double the growth on the 2 I topped/pintched I took as little as possible just enough to stop the upwards growth and make it put out 2 new limbs. So I topped off a 3rd plant. It looks like it was not a smart move. I am not seeing any new growth were I cut. Plant is now growing slower than the others. My take if you are going to top do it very early do not try to top mid way through growth. I have no doubt I will get a lot higher yield from the two topped early.

I top all of my autos. I do it as early as possible, usually as soon as the 4th node appears, sometimes the fifth. I suppose if I didn't top them I'd get 3-4 big buds but I prefer lots and lots of medium sized ones!

Like on this Critical Kush:
CK day 84.JPG

I've got a few words for you, mate:
Try some techniques yourself before you think you are the best grower in the world and know everything about every single growing technique. You keep arguing against better growers than yourself about the techniques they shouldn't be using. Techniques you've never tried for yourself. You find opinions from other people that are against these techniques (also people that haven't tried it for themselves) and try to bully those opinions onto others. To me that's one of the definitions of a not so smart being...
Dang grow friend, that's a cool mouth full there!

Just found this post today... Here's my Tangerine Dream and Blueberry "auto's", all 4 are same age. First pic is one of each untopped , then second is the topped and LST method. U decide. it was my first "auto grow" and I was a bit nervous after reading about stunting growth and such, that's why tried both methods. I will always do it from now on. The key for me was to top early, like after 3rd full node, and I never saw them slow at all!

Blue & Tan Dream 85 Days.JPG

Tan:Blueberry ...9 weeks old.JPG

Just found this post today... Here's my Tangerine Dream and Blueberry "auto's", all 4 are same age. First pic is one of each untopped , then second is the topped and LST method. U decide. it was my first "auto grow" and I was a bit nervous after reading about stunting growth and such, that's why tried both methods. I will always do it from now on. The key for me was to top early, like after 3rd full node, and I never saw them slow at all!

Blue & Tan Dream 85 Days.JPG

Tan:Blueberry ...9 weeks old.JPG
Flip! Guess I'll be topping next lot

I top all of my autos. I do it as early as possible, usually as soon as the 4th node appears, sometimes the fifth. I suppose if I didn't top them I'd get 3-4 big buds but I prefer lots and lots of medium sized ones!

Like on this Critical Kush:
CK day 84.JPG
I like a lot of buds over a main cola as well. Amnesia in front Pineapple Express behind her. They still have a week or so.

20210801_015249.jpg

I top autos but I’ve seen nice things also untopped ! Here are my autos topped once at 4th node
3812257E-4C20-4A90-8F34-8A0C47F7202E.jpeg

And that’s my glueberry from last run topped twice but not all autos will blow up big it’s all in the genetic!

For the folks claiming to have researched this topic, could you be so good as provide links to that research?

One of the difficulties that a new grower like me has is that there's a lot of conventional wisdom and a lot of that CW is in direct conflict with a lot of the other CW. This thread is an excellent example. Or the newbie soil grower who asks about the right time to flush…fireworks!

From an email I received earlier this evening:
"The scientific method is a process of eliminating error in thinking and concepts by constantly subjecting concepts to rigorous testing using all available physical evidence that is appropriate. As physical evidence changes, the concepts must be changed accordingly."

If you've got links to published research, please post the link. If you have conducted research that follows the scientific method, please post hit here.

As cannabis legalization sweeps across the country, I suspect that the number of personal/amateur growers will increase significantly. It would be much easier for new growers to "get to done" if we didn't have to try to read between the lines of the writings of experienced growers.

Thanks.

And I did top my plants for both of my grows.

For the folks claiming to have researched this topic, could you be so good as provide links to that research?

One of the difficulties that a new grower like me has is that there's a lot of conventional wisdom and a lot of that CW is in direct conflict with a lot of the other CW. This thread is an excellent example. Or the newbie soil grower who asks about the right time to flush…fireworks!

From an email I received earlier this evening:
"The scientific method is a process of eliminating error in thinking and concepts by constantly subjecting concepts to rigorous testing using all available physical evidence that is appropriate. As physical evidence changes, the concepts must be changed accordingly."

If you've got links to published research, please post the link. If you have conducted research that follows the scientific method, please post hit here.

As cannabis legalization sweeps across the country, I suspect that the number of personal/amateur growers will increase significantly. It would be much easier for new growers to "get to done" if we didn't have to try to read between the lines of the writings of experienced growers.

Thanks.

And I did top my plants for both of my grows.
Good luck with the "published research". Not until it's no longer a schedule 1 will it be truly researched by University's and private Co's. To the extent you are hoping for.( I understand what you are looking for) And the pharmaceutical companies have a big stake in keeping that from happening.
Due diligence on forums and websites is invaluable, and frustrating as hell. I use this site and one other to discuss and learn from 80% of the time, the rest from all over. Because I did my due diligence and joined 5-6 sites when I started and dropped them one by one due to one reason or the other, usually crappy advice or assholes on the site.
As far as topping/fimming goes the research/evidence I have found is in the size of my harvest and others that top. Too much "you can't do this with autos" crap out there. I listened to an experienced grower on here and it changed everything I thought you could do with autos. This harvest I'm looking at over 2lb's off 5 plants, and probably closer to 2.5 lbs. You just have to listen to the right people. Which means time spent online, we all did it.

And as far as flushing goes, watch the video on the Migro YouTube channel. Two scientists actually do a true side by side flush or not flush experiment. It pretty much summed it up for me.

And I have yet to find anyone on here not willing to help when you message them.

If you want to fill a tent up with buds you have to top the plants. Here are a few autos that were topped as early as I could fit my trimmer in to do the chop without hurting the two shoots at node 4.

Good luck with the "published research". Not until it's no longer a schedule 1 will it be truly researched by University's and private Co's. To the extent you are hoping for.( I understand what you are looking for) And the pharmaceutical companies have a big stake in keeping that from happening.
I keep forgetting about that elephant in the room. You’re right - states can do what they want with cannabid laws but universities and private researchers have to toe the line or their Federal funds dry up.
We’re now on the third president where the mood of the country would be to remove it from being Schedule 1 but nada. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when the topic is discussed.

Due diligence on forums and websites is invaluable, and frustrating as hell. I use this site and one other to discuss and learn from 80% of the time, the rest from all over. Because I did my due diligence and joined 5-6 sites when I started and dropped them one by one due to one reason or the other, usually crappy advice or assholes on the site.
As far as topping/fimming goes the research/evidence I have found is in the size of my harvest and others that top. Too much "you can't do this with autos" crap out there. I listened to an experienced grower on here and it changed everything I thought you could do with autos. This harvest I'm looking at over 2lb's off 5 plants, and probably closer to 2.5 lbs. You just have to listen to the right people. Which means time spent online, we all did it.
That’s the crux of the problem. Separating the wheat from the chaff is time consuming and, at times, very difficult. While I enjoy the process of research to a certain extent, it’s time consuming and some bits of information are obscure.

Case in point - there are lots and lots of pages about pH control and the “proper” pH range to have. A few months ago, there was an article on a site called “CannabisTimes" or “CannabisBusiness” that talked about a study of pH values in commercial grow sites. The article was based on researchers visiting the growers growers and they found, to paraphrase, that pH values in the commercial sites were significantly broader than the CW values.

Another interesting find - hydro pH “should range” between 5.x. and 6.x, with the ideal being 5.8 though you can let it swing between X and Y, etc. An article here shows a graphic that indicates that 6.0 is the magic number for a hydro grow in flower. That struck a chord with me because, one, I hadn’t seen anywhere else that differentiates between veg and flower and, second, it makes sense to my little brain because plants in flower need more K and K uptake is high in the 6.0 to 6.2 range. Perfectly logical but, like the “CannabisSomething”.com article, a hidden nugget.

“topping” - there are tons of growers who top their plants, me being one. I can’t point to any specific where I decided to top. It seems to me to be an accepted practice of growing cannabis. And then there are growers who won’t top and who swear that LST is all that’s needed.

“autos” - I wasn’t involved in growing when autos first came out but my understanding is that they were off to a rough start but have come a really long way. A website dedicated to autos has have an entire section of myths about autos. Interesting to read.

And as far as flushing goes, watch the video on the Migro YouTube channel. Two scientists actually do a true side by side flush or not flush experiment. It pretty much summed it up for me.
I’m not a soil grower but I watched that and noted it. Even with that information freely and easily available, posters regularly ask “Is it time to flush?” and numerous web sites state to a certainty that flushing is an inherent part of a soil grow.

And I have yet to find anyone on here not willing to help when you message them.
Agreed. That’s been my experience, as well. Lots of people with years of experience here and I really appreciate the time people take to help others stay out of or help get out of a bad situation.

There is a lot of misconceptions about Autos. And I find it frustrating how growers think that Autos require special attention. As seedlings maybe they're slightly more prone to stunting, but almost any plant can get stunted as a seedling, from my limited experience.

I'll say this, I'm not a highly experienced grower, but I do grow Autos exclusively.

Those of you bashing Bob, well...take a good look at some of his grows, and how much great information he has contributed on here. Dude knows his stuff, and it's OK to disagree but keep it at disagreement, no need to escalate.

We all find our style that work best with us. I've topped, and fimmed Autos. I've taken stunted runts and brought them back twice (though I may only get 1 Oz off the 2nd).

It comes down to Genetics, environment, nutrition, and training.

You can not top a Auto and grow a monster (IMO) using a scrog and LST. And personally i think this might be the best method as it's the least stressful on the plant (though I still top). You also need a proper sized container for the roots.

Read this over, Multivortex nailed it better then I can write.

And here is a single Auto that yielded me 221g dried (at rough 2 weeks into cure).

Here is the 2nd runt, she was germinated at Slightly before the pic above, she hasn't been harvested yet...she's 137 or so days old? (They're different strains, but both capable genetically of being large)

20210730_171203.jpg

Back
Top Bottom