SHOGUN420

420 Member
Hi all,

Could anyone please give indication as to what they think is the issue with this plant. The 2x other plans in the room are healthy and under the same feeding schedule and environment as the plant of concern.

They have just been switched to flower 3 days ago and the struggling plant seems to look very unhappy while the other 2 are on point. Could it be this strain requires more/less frequent watering than every other day. For no I am going to try water everyday and see if improves but if its already overwaterd I will end up killing it.

What your thoughts?

Temps-25 to 29 degress celcius
Feeding- watering every other day with 2 of the watering being with mammoth p, molasses, seaweed liquid. As for nutrients, it's simply been all organic soil mix for the veg and I top dressed now for flower. Ph of watering is alway 6.7 to 6.8
Humidity-65 to 80
Light- spider farmer sf7000

20220809_065031.jpg

20220809_065017.jpg

20220809_065024.jpg

20220809_065038.jpg

Hiya shogun..
Yep something's not right..it looks how a broken branch would behave..if you snapped it 2 or 3 days ago. That or root issues...but that's just me thinking out loud.

Do you know the light intensity hitting that area so that could be ruled out?

Every other day watering does sound alot but I'm not there to see their usage ..they are quite big so that might be what they want, as the other 2 look good.

Yep something's not right..it looks how a broken branch would behave.
Yes, something is not right. The area that you seem to be concerned about is just that, an area in the canopy of one of the plants. We would have to ask ourselves why is the rest of the same plant not showing the problem?

Any water problem, whether to much or not enough, or nutrient problem, to much or not enough, will show on the entire plant or canopy and not what seems like a random area.

based on what I’m hearing - “watering every other day“ is one of your issues, the other being ph is too high. Generally speaking - a plant simply does not need more water added every other day….

for now I’d say don’t put any more water on the affected one. Here’s 2 simple tricks…

1) Setup a test container… fill same size container with same soil mix except do not add any water. Now weigh the container of dry soil on digital kitchen scales and note the weight. Now weigh your container with the damaged plant. Compare weight of the 2 containers …. the plant itself weighs nothing the difference is the water weight.

2) Buy a pack of bamboo skewer sticks, remove one from the pack and start about 1 inch away from outside edge of container and insert the stick into the soil at an angle. You want the pointed end to hit it the center of the container and press it in to make sure it hits bottom. Leave the skewer in the soil for an hour and after that time has elapsed remove the stick. There should be a visible indicator line on the dip stick as to the moisture level inside the container. Compare color and the feel of your used dip stick with an unused skewer straight from the package…. notice how the dip stick removed from the soil feels cool & damp….

a dip stick needs to hit the bottom of the container. Gravity works such that when top layer of soil is dry - the bottom is still very much wet.

It’s all good - we’ve all had theses same issues, but think you may be loving them to death. So adding more water does not equal more growth…. roots need oxygen and a continuously wet or damp soil is too heavy for oxygen to penetrate. For now I’d remove the 1 troubled plant from flower cycle…. a plant needs to be in peak of health before flipping, if you begin flower cycle with problems they will only multiply. Once you get her turned around then it’s safe to place her back in flower cycle.

for soil grows set ph at 6.3…. Welcome aboard Shogun

Hiya shogun..
Yep something's not right..it looks how a broken branch would behave..if you snapped it 2 or 3 days ago. That or root issues...but that's just me thinking out loud.

Every other day watering does sound alot but I'm not there to see their usage ..they are quite big so that might be what they want, as the other 2 look good.
I get what you saying!! It just strange that plants within the same environment and feeding/watering schedule are doing great whereas this girl is not good. As for your q on light intensity, as per my past grows, I tend to set the light to 60percent within the first week or so and work it up to 100percent over the first 4 weeks allowing upward potential. Light strenght is currently 450 PPFD which in my opinion is very low. I also have plenty co2 supplementation by means of c02 bag, c02 bottle and c02 can thus I don't think light or heat is the issue. Thoughts?

Hiya shogun..

Yeah these plants are big man, 3 plants full a 4x4. They are in 20 litre airpots and I give them each 2l of water every second day. They are thirsty

I appriciate you!! Therin could be my issue, my ph is always 6.7 or 6.8. I have read this is best for organic soil however this could be the cause. Just confused as to why its not effecting other plants of the same strain, diff pheonos I guess. Re removing it from flower, I simply don't have the space, I am aware that a plant should be optimised for flower however for this plant its either ride it out or uproot.

no worries!

If you are in fabric pots then it maybe possible to put a small fan or two aimed at that grow bag, also don’t let that one problem child sit in a puddle of water. Do you have drip trays under your girls?? Helps to elevate your chicks above the floor with fan pushing air underneath. I think SmokingWings uses plastic wire coated closet shelving racks from Lowe’s

Your other chicks will simply drink up any residual water in drip trays and keep on trucking but strongly suspect you are near root rot on the troubled one.

if you are in hard side containers you can elevate one side of the pot higher to force the bucket to pee some excess water out. If you do that put a wood block under one side and prop the plant so it won’t tumble over, leave it tilted & propped for 24 hours minimum. Scrog net might make this more difficult, never used one myself so dunno.

best of luck & keep us posted

Hey @SHOGUN420 and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place!

Your plants look great! It appears the problem is isolated to this area of one plant, correct?

1660387273461.png

How many branches does this affected area relate to? For example, is this happening on one or two branches, next to each other, on the same plant?

It's possible you have a little stem rot occurring at the node – i.e. where the branch comes off the main stem.

I'm an outdoor greenhouse grower, so I have lots of space and easy access to keep an eye on stems and branches. I've seen main stem rot – both above the soil line and below (both fatal) – and rot at the node (not a big deal... remove the branch and treat the area with some straight neem oil).

happy growing! 🪴

Hey @SHOGUN420 and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place!

Your plants look great! It appears the problem is isolated to this area of one plant, correct?

1660387273461.png

How many branches does this affected area relate to? For example, is this happening on one or two branches, next to each other, on the same plant?

It's possible you have a little stem rot occurring at the node – i.e. where the branch comes off the main stem.

I'm an outdoor greenhouse grower, so I have lots of space and easy access to keep an eye on stems and branches. I've seen main stem rot – both above the soil line and below (both fatal) – and rot at the node (not a big deal... remove the branch and treat the area with some straight neem oil).

happy growing! 🪴
Hello and thanks for the informed response.
Since upload the effected plant has progressed, see new photo. You can still see effected growth within the bottom left plant. Since uploading this I tried to cut off most of the damage branches and leaves and the entire left side of the plant has bounced back. Albeit the issue remains in an isolated area. I topped quite a few times during veg and now I noticed the one branch from an early topping, and all subsequent toppings on that same branch, is effected. You think I just cut off the whole branch? I did not use neem oil for the mentioned removal of branches earlier so maybe I try it

20220814_203716.jpg

It's looking better. Here are some better photos of the effected area. I'm thinking the issue is the humidifier is literally right near/under the branches. It's putting too much direct humidity onto this plant?

20220815_190028.jpg

20220815_185925.jpg

Hello and thanks for the informed response.

Since upload the effected plant has progressed, see new photo. You can still see effected growth within the bottom left plant. Since uploading this I tried to cut off most of the damage branches and leaves and the entire left side of the plant has bounced back. Albeit the issue remains in an isolated area. I topped quite a few times during veg and now I noticed the one branch from an early topping, and all subsequent toppings on that same branch, is effected. You think I just cut off the whole branch? I did not use neem oil for the mentioned removal of branches earlier so maybe I try it
What I recommend is getting in there w/ a light and inspecting each branch you think is affected. Look at where that branch connects to the main stem, at the node. Do you see discoloration on the branch or node... i.e. like a light brown or gray/brown color, instead of green? If so, you may also see a little bit of black-ish looking mold spots.

If you don't see any of this, then stem rot can probably be ruled out.

Awww no, don't scare me. Well they were all feminised seeds albeit I am aware with stress they can become a hermy. See below photo which is indicative of what all 3 plants are looking like. What did you see that raised concern? Pollen sacs?

20220815_185701.jpg

20220815_185726.jpg

Awww no, don't scare me. Well they were all feminised seeds albeit I am aware with stress they can become a hermy. See below photo which is indicative of what all 3 plants are looking like. What did you see that raised concern? Pollen sacs?

20220815_185701.jpg

20220815_185726.jpg

I thought I saw something that looked ball like, but the resolution wasn't great, these pics have enough resolution to see female. Sorry if I harshed your mellow!

Back
Top Bottom