Urban Achievers Inner City Seeds of Promise

I just noticed, are you leaving the plastic on the carbon can? Or was that just in the photo? Surely it wouldn't work like that. Sorry just saw it

#3 looks really nice man.
I left the plastic on while I installed it. Still on lol. Once its all set up it will come off. I have a plan to exhaust the tent into one of my heating ducts and I need to pick up a 5" T joint. Plan is to put a one way/inline vent so the heating and exhaust dont interfere with each other. Should be up and running in a day or two.

Nice work urb
thanks, making lots of mistakes, but they are still moving forward. I transplanted two plants tonight. The pots are dry and roots were well established. Gave them all a small drink. Need to get the tent and exhaust finished.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

Dude amazing. I love it, I'd love to see it in person some day. I also love taking nature photos or sunsets and such. This one I took from my house, didn't even drag my lazy butt out :rofl:
420-magazine-mobile379693409.jpg

Awesome picture Pat!! Never been to your neck of the world. Only parts of Africa I have been to is Kenya, Somalia, and Egypt.

Hey UA.....great photos as well brother and your plants are looking great. Nice set up as well, you have great things going on there brother! Pleasure watching you do your thing!

I know you can't do much for N in your soil, but I definitely recommend switching to water only for a watering or three and see if it makes a difference. Leave the teas alone for a bit. If your soil is good, they will be more than fine....sometimes less is more and the simplest option is the best. Let your dirt do your work for a bit.

Well I've heard as a seedling not to top too soon because it puts added stress on the little plant. I believe your referring to your side shoots swagg? I don't have a definitive answer for that honestly. I think wherever is okay for side branches but most let at least 1or 2 nodes come off, before snipping. If I remember correctly nebula over at growweedeasy suggest topping above the 3rd node, and after 2 nodes of growth on the off shoot for a manifold aka ML. Again all on memory but I like the idea of topping a couple sooner than others to get the feel. Some strains do better with topping and training than others from what I've read too. I only topped one time on my previous grow 5th or 6th node and let them go. I'm always weary to slow the growth too much :)

Plants have 2 "brains"; one at the tip of the apical meristem (main stem) and one at the main root Apical Meristem (main root). Chop either of them are you're at a 8-10 day delay in growth due to the plant getting her brain(s) back together.

That said... sometimes topping is a good thing (not very often in my case) but when you have VEG plants that are getting unruly and you aren't ready for flowering yet, topping works to delay the flower cycle. You can count on a lower final yield as well. LST as UA mentioned, is a better way. Trim the side branches and lower LAF no problem, that's where I get all my clones from.

My current grow no topping my plants are easily 7' tall probably taller, just had to bend em over and tie them down. I have 3 plants in the same space as I usually grow 8-10 plants they are so large. So yields easily increased .... likely to x3 over a topped plant in my case.

UA... plants look fine.. probably impossible to get a Ca deficiency in new soil. Those spots look like a bug was in there munching.. nothing to worry about. Likely the bug didn't like what it was tasting and moved on. Healthy plants have a way to make that happen.

I use neem oil only on a current infestation of say spider mites. I don't see anything that indicates you have any problems with insects or soil. Oh yeah with Neem oil you need to add in some saponin to emulsify the oil and water. I use soap nut water... you can also use Dr Bronners peppermint soap .... only need a few drops. Bronners peppermint soap is a good 2nd prong of attack on mites as well. Kills on contact as does the neem. BTW soap nut water (make it yourself) is also good for plants used as a foiler and a soil drench (heavily diluted of course).

For neem and no infestation... try soaking some neem cake meal in water... overnight and strain and add to your IPM... it's not as strong as the oil but will be as effective. Neem oil can burn leaves (spray before lights out) and is pretty strong smelling/tasting... it's pretty foul all around and why bugs don't like it.

You can foiler as much Horsetail fern tea as you want. It's only going to help the plants (diluted of course). Sometimes I just foiler with filtered water horsetail fern tea and some coconut water with aloe (pure organic no sugars or preservatives). Plants benefit from getting leaves wet, they can drink up moisture and nutrients thru the leaf/stem stomata.. I think of it as a treat. Plants love the water foiler.... by the time I'm done foiler, the first plants leaves are usually already dry and have absorbed the water and the nutrients. nuff ramble...

Oh wait.. plants look fine.... skip the sawdust.. there's nothing there for you or your plants. Source of sawdust??

What I do IF I think there's any issues. Soak a cup of EWC with a few tbs of kelp meal & make a tea .... take that tea and mix with your water and water in.

Kelp meal has EVERY macro and micro nutrient at the correct amount any plant needs, and the EWC has the rest covered.

Plants look healthy to me and your doing mighty fine.

Hey, that was great info! Thanks for sharing :) going into my notes book now.

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback and assistance

Uh oh lol, sawdust is already in, lol I read it would help temporarily occupy some N as it breaks down. Also figured it would be good natural organic material. The sawdust came from a bag that collects the fine dust and shavings from my chop saw. Mostly kiln dried 2x4s. No paint, toxins, or other junk.

I think most of the spots came from a foliar that was too hot or high in something. I soaked the leaves and the next day they were there. Very few bug sightings. One fly every now and then. But anythings possible.

I planned on chilling out with the teas. Straight up water for a while. I was overthinking things and wanting to give them a jumpstart but I think the soil has everything they need for a while. Especially after transplanting them into 5 gallon pots. A few minor looking issues on the plants today, photos later, but nothing to worry about. Still coming along nicely.

Next update tonight should include the completed fan/filter/ducting on the flower tent, remaining transplanting, and if I am feeling energentic...a quick adjustable scrog.
:thumb:

LoL those parts are much worse brother :rofl: I won't even go to Kenya myself.

I was there many many years ago. Somalia and Kenya were in 1992 and 1993, Egypt was a few years later. I have always wanted to visit south Africa. I hear ya'll have some great sport fishing down there.

Yeah let all of them go. We kept a couple snapper and tuna that we brought back to the resort for dinners on different nights. 5 day trip, amazing fishing down there. Had a blast. Surprised my dad with the trip....he had no idea that I was taking him there! Good times brother, good times!

Re: Urban Achievers Inner City Seeds of Promiseaeeeeeeeee

As advertised, more cowbell...

They needed transplanting, finished two yesterday and two today. Sat the 1 gallon geopots on a full can of paint and basically peeled the fabric down and over the pots.

Used a similar sized 1 gallon container as a template, and filled around it in the 5 gallon geopot, to prepare the hole. Sprinkled some mycos in the hole before putting the plant in it. Finally, top dressed with a bit of rock dust, may follow up with some neem meal too, saw a few flies during the operation.

IMG_009568.jpg

This is what a 5 gallon pot looks like in a 2x2 tent next to a 1 gallon pot lol
IMG_009689.jpg

The "before I messed with my heating system"...
IMG_009065.JPG

The "after I messed with it"...Its solid. Sealed with aluminum tape. lol at first I had the fan bolted to my framed wall joints. But it was loud and vibrating. So I have it bolted to a small wooden base I made to sit on the floor. Much quieter. On "low" it creates obvious negative pressure in the tent, and on the 3rd floor I can feel the draft coming out of filtered air. Bonus. Circulate and purify the air in the house lol.
IMG_009177.JPG

The one way damper should keep the heat out of the tent at night when the filter and fan is off. Until I need the fan going full time I will leave it be.
IMG_009275.JPG

I picked up some reusable furnace type filter. Cut out 8" filters and have placed them in every 6"-8" hole in the tent. The clamps were unnecessary lol. All the air is now drawn through at least one layer of this filter material, but most have two layers.
IMG_009359.JPG

IMG_009467.JPG

A half assed shot of the tent. This will be a challenge. Its 6' 5" and I only have a few feet at my back so capturing the whole tent is not gonna happen. But its thick, looks good, and should be plenty of height.
IMG_008859.JPG

The light is pretty bright. Will need my shades lol. I got it pretty high to let the plants get used to it.
IMG_008969.JPG

I didnt get to the scrog frame but tomorrow is another day.

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback and assistance

Uh oh lol, sawdust is already in, lol I read it would help temporarily occupy some N as it breaks down. Also figured it would be good natural organic material. The sawdust came from a bag that collects the fine dust and shavings from my chop saw. Mostly kiln dried 2x4s. No paint, toxins, or other junk.

I think most of the spots came from a foliar that was too hot or high in something. I soaked the leaves and the next day they were there. Very few bug sightings. One fly every now and then. But anythings possible.

I planned on chilling out with the teas. Straight up water for a while. I was overthinking things and wanting to give them a jumpstart but I think the soil has everything they need for a while. Especially after transplanting them into 5 gallon pots. A few minor looking issues on the plants today, photos later, but nothing to worry about. Still coming along nicely.

Next update tonight should include the completed fan/filter/ducting on the flower tent, remaining transplanting, and if I am feeling energentic...a quick adjustable scrog.
:thumb:

It's all good.. you already know what happens with the sawdust.. It needs to compost, and actually it will compost weather we want it too or not.

You hit it, the N will be sequestered by the soil bacteria in the process of composting. The N will get locked up for a time,

Sawdust has such a large surface area that it breaks down pretty quickly (for wood products). The only worry is that it can go thermophilic (get hot), and that can damage roots. That depends on how much you added to the soil and how long you let the soil mix sit before planting.

I suggest subbing kelp meal for saw dust... Kelp meal has everything plants need, saw dust after composting is N and Ca... sawdust has a VERY high Carbon (why the N gets locked up until composted).

You will see pretty quickly if the sawdust is too much. Your plants will start to show N deficiency... Don't panic... easy fix if needed.

Busy bee today. Cleaning basement, installing shelves above my work bench, and throwing together a scrog frame. Plants a bit stressed. Not going to mess with them though, I just transplanted them, I will let them get used to the light and new pots. If these issues continue we will address them in about a week or so.

Lets get to the photos.

Here is my current solution to the exhaust and fan. Fan is on the floor outside the tent, drawing air through the carbon filter inside the tent.
IMG_022462.JPG

Found some better connections for the light.
IMG_022770.JPG

Built an adjustable scrog frame. I can set it at different heights. Its a bit high at this point of the grow.
IMG_022564.JPG

IMG_023360.JPG

IMG_023275.JPG

IMG_023167.JPG

IMG_023065.JPG

IMG_022867.JPG

IMG_023459.JPG

Back
Top Bottom