We're Back - Chef & His Wife Back For Round Two! - 2015

surfinchef

Hello,

It's chef and his wife back for round two. If you followed us on our previous grow you already know we had all males.

Well we learned a lot the last grow and we are going to implement all of that this grow.

So to the good stuff...

The setup:

22" x 22" x 44" home built cardboard grow box lined with milar.

We have one unknown bag seed from some nice krypy nugs we got on 4/20.

We are currently germinating that seed and hopefully planting in soil really soon.

We currently are using 10 CFL's. 4 CFL's are 6500k spectrum with 1600 lumen each.We will be using these for veg. 6 CFL's are 2700k spectrum with 2 having 2600 lumens and 4 having 1600 lumens each. And we will be using these bulbs for flower.

We have a 4" inline exhaust fan attached to a 4" Viagrow carbon filter.

A small fan for circulation.

Trusty hygrometer.

And we are using all Organic Super Soil with a ratio 3:1 soil:perlite. However the top two inches of the soil in the pot is 1:1 soil and perlite. Also on this grow we will only have one plant so we are using a 3 1/2 gallon pot.

Hope you enjoy the adventure with us!

re: We're Back - Chef & His Wife Back For Round Two! - 2015

Subbed. Good luck! Any reason you are not wanting to purchase quality feminized seeds? Herbies has single seeds if you dont want to spend a lot.

I was going to say the same. Feminized seeds have never let me down. I couldn't imagine putting so much work into something without being sure what might come out of it!

Best of luck,
Will be checking this for sure.
:Namaste:

the worst that happens is they get snatched at the border.. pay with bitcoin and there will be no history of purchase on your bank accounts/credit cards.. Almost everyone now accepts it.. even buildasoil accepts bitcoin. Almost every good seedbank is using Shopify it seems and its easily integrated into shopify. I've placed 2 bean orders from Canada and now one from the UK with hopefully no problems. I do live in a decriminalized/medical state, so maybe that's one reason?

I guess it's up to you, but even with my med card, I still don't like purchasing online with a CC/Debit. Bitcoin all the way. No reason anyone should have a history of what i'm buying.. Bitcoin is like paying with cash, online. A beautiful thing. Some of the seedbanks give 10% discounts too with Bitcoin. All seed banks should be giving extra's to encourage payment with bitcoin.. They make a much larger profit when someone pays in bitcoin as there is 0 risk of charge back or fraud, and no/very very minimal processing fees.

I've been buying seeds since 2001 no problems. Except bonza mixed up two strains on me. And I can't ever get u pink kush to pop.

Subbed and at your side Chef! :)

I share you worries for ordering online, especially if it is to your own address.
Money is really not an issue though, considering the power consumption that you pay for a bad grow.

I would suggest when using bagseeds, to germinate as many as you have room for during veg, and worst case you give some ladies away, or terminate them (as horrible as it sounds), if you end up with more then you bargained for.
I think that it beats the alternative.

Good luck though :thumb:

Out of all the seeds ive ordered online only 1 order got snagged. And I dont even think it got snagged...it was a shotty seedbank with what I later found out were some horrible reviews! Ive ordered from the original sensible seed company and the single seed center and both made it without issue. Used my debit card too. Unless you're a terrorist...nobody's watching you bro lol :)

Well guys wow what a response so far. Thank you so much for joining us. We are happy to see all of you with us. Some familiar faces and some new ones. We r stoked and hope you are too!

And you guys are right it probably isn't a good idea to spend so much time on something without already knowing what the outcome is going to be. But we havesnt wasted any money on seeds. And we decided months ago to use what seeds we already have for our first two grows to get a good handle and experience on growing before we spent $ on seeds. Really these first two grows we had chalked up to just really setting a learning curve. On our third grow we have decided to go auto fem seeds and will probably use those until a larger grow space becomes available.

We have looked at a couple of seed banks and have thought about using one of the sponsor seed banks here. But if you guys have any suggestions at all we will gladly listen!

Now I do have a couple of pics tonight. The bean has sprouted and is looking very nice!

You can already start to see some of the changes we've made from last grow to this one...

I put the reflectors back on the lamps. Now only having one plant I can utilyze maximum wattage and lumens.

IMAG59092.jpg

I did t realize how difficult it may be to see the sprout until after I uploaded the photo. Hope you can see it.

IMAG59101.jpg

What percentage of perlite did you put in the soil? It looks a tad bit to much... For my personal preference anyway. When I mixed that much perlite in one of my plants I had to water WAY to often.. It was just to much drainage lol. I had good growth though... It just used up the available soil to fast due to the fact there was to much perlite!

Also, keep an eye on that light with the reflector. It acts as a heat shield and can burn your little seedling up! I always took the reflector off and turned the CFL side ways as you get more light output from the CFL being sideways than directly up and down and you can run it only a few inches above the plant that way it wont stretch as your seedling is doing.

Sending good vibes your way for a female.
:thumb:

Yup, I turned mine sideways too and cut half the reflector off. Cfls put out most of their light on the sides. :)

What percentage of perlite did you put in the soil? It looks a tad bit to much... For my personal preference anyway. When I mixed that much perlite in one of my plants I had to water WAY to often.. It was just to much drainage lol. I had good growth though... It just used up the available soil to fast due to the fact there was to much perlite!

Also, keep an eye on that light with the reflector. It acts as a heat shield and can burn your little seedling up! I always took the reflector off and turned the CFL side ways as you get more light output from the CFL being sideways than directly up and down and you can run it only a few inches above the plant that way it wont stretch as your seedling is doing.

Sending good vibes your way for a female.
:thumb:

For the top two inches of soil in that pot is ratio 1:1 soil:perlite. The rest is ratio 3:1 soil:perlite. This is serving two purposes. 1) to help with drainage and aeration for the seedling roots. 2) the added perlite also helps reflect light up. I've read where many seasoned growers have lights shining up from underneath. This is my attempt at getting light to reflect up. Also once the plant has established roots and some height am going to add a layer of perlite only. This will help water drain down to the roots and again light reflection.

And I understand your concern with the light and reflector. First let me say that to remove that reflector I have to disconnect and reconnect the wiring. I will need the reflector later in the grow. Also, I have the smaller wattaged bulb in there now and a fan that allows really good circulation. The high temps in there have been around 73-74 and even though that reflector is low down that is a pretty large reflector and the actual bulb is about 6" from the seedling and there is a three inch gap from reflector to the pot. And I know this may seem strange but I want a little stretch. Im doing a short veg this go and I did want a little stretch And will control and monitor light heighth to control the stretch as we progress.

As I have said before there are a few thing we are changing on this grow. It's not going to look anything like the last grow. Trust I do have a purpose for my methods this go around.

And don't worry too much we check on it two to three times a day. And since we have 1:1 on top two inches of the soil we use a spray bottle to water. We water once a day with just a few sprays to keep moisture on the roots.

To be honest it is doing great and is loving everything so far. All the leaves are praying to the lights!

And Hunter thanks for your concerns and the good vibes. We need plenty of them.

Yup, I turned mine sideways too and cut half the reflector off. Cfls put out most of their light on the sides. :)

Yea scrubby I just haven't gotten around to cutting my reflector. If you remember from our last grow my "spider" light as it looked with the four bulbs.

Well I am going to use the same setup. My plan is to split the reflector evenly and pull the sides apart to allow room for the light setup.

And if you can see my two smaller lamps. I'm going to do the same thing to those and have two bulbs in each. Idk if I will be able to put that many bulbs in this grow until flower. but when we have an auto fem in there it will be jammed in there with lights. With a 5 gal pot.

And thanks for stopping by scrubby.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom