What am I doing to beat up my seedlings so bad?

TheFertilizer

Second grow I've used seedlings, and second time they've all looked really haggard. I'm not sure what I am doing to cause this, the first time around I thought it was over-watering, but I've been pretty conservative with the water this time around, I think I might have gone the other way and underwatered...

Little bit of details first...

Light: 400w MH Apollo, air cooled hood, about 8" above them.
Temp/Humidity: 68-75F, 35-40%
Water: Tap, pH neutral, no nutrients, unknown PPM
Application method: Sprayer
Application frequency: About every 2-3 days, but going by how wet the soil feels and weigh as well
Medium: Fox Farms Happy Frog
Strains: Blackberry Kush, Platinum Girl Scout Cookies

I have been really surprised how fast they dry out compared to the last soil I used, and as well as using larger solo cup containers, but I'm mostly talking about on the surface. The Happy Frog just seems to dry out a lot faster, and so I would brush a few milimeters off of the top surface and if I saw nice dark, moist looking soil I would leave it and if I didn't I would water it a little bit. Well they started looking a little droopy and I figured I should use the weigh method, I have two of them that just have dirt and never sprouted a seed so I weighed them dry, they both came in right around 45 grams. So I weighed my plants, they were all about 50-70 grams, most being around 60. I decided to wait until the morning. Well what I found was that most of them had collapsed and were laying on their sides, and it looked to me like maybe I had went too long without water so I drenched them again. A few hours later, and they're picking back up now, but the leaves have this characteristically over-watered curl to them. So I'm like, which is it, over watered or under watered? They exceeded my scale's 100 gram capacity when fully drenched.

I am trying to consider what else it could be beside the watering too. The quality of my tap water is a concern to me, because I know it's pretty hard water, I get calcium deposits on my dishes all the time. Could this be symptomatic of poor quality water? I figured I might as well gamble a dollar and go pick up some distilled water to see if it helps.

Then there's the light, it seems like no matter how close I put it to them they want to stretch toward it. You can kind of see how they're all bending radially in toward a center like each one is trying to get closer to the light even though it's pretty much right on top of them. Maybe I need a bulb with better PAR? This is just the Apollo one that came with my light kit.

I'm not really worried, they pulled through on the last grow and looked like this, but I don't think this is what healthy seedlings should look like and I am trying to improve. Would like to give them a little more of a stress-free infancy.

IMG_20160824_115029.jpg
IMG_20160824_115023.jpg
IMG_20160824_1150121.jpg

I wonder if it's the containers they are in. They look pretty shallow so what does that do to the tap root trying to go deep.

I thought about that but I had them in solo cups the first time and they were acting this way too. I did think about them being too shallow after I put them in though. Was planning on tranpslanting them into solo cups before into 3 gal pots.

Just because its the same symptoms does not mean the same cause.

You 100% have your light too close and not enough area for a root zone.

Also is there a fan blowing on them? The stems look super weak.

Just because its the same symptoms does not mean the same cause.

You 100% have your light too close and not enough area for a root zone.

Also is there a fan blowing on them? The stems look super weak.

Yep fan has been on them the whole time. Don't know why the stems are so stretchy, that's why I put the light that close.

I transplanted them into solo cups, raised the light, but I am still betting I will see the same symptoms considering they looked exactly like this last time with the light further away and bigger containers so forgive me if I'm a little dubious about that being the solution.

Any other idea of what it could be?

How old is your bulb?

Not very old, I hardly even ran it the last cycle because I was ding 12/12 from seed and switched two the HPS very quickly, like within 3 weeks. So 3 weeks of 12/12... So like 250 hours or so.

Though I had read quite a few reviews accusing Apollo of sending people used bulbs in the kits :/

Second grow I've used seedlings, and second time they've all looked really haggard. I'm not sure what I am doing to cause this, the first time around I thought it was over-watering, but I've been pretty conservative with the water this time around, I think I might have gone the other way and underwatered...

Little bit of details first...

Light: 400w MH Apollo, air cooled hood, about 8" above them.
Temp/Humidity: 68-75F, 35-40%
Water: Tap, pH neutral, no nutrients, unknown PPM
Application method: Sprayer
Application frequency: About every 2-3 days, but going by how wet the soil feels and weigh as well
Medium: Fox Farms Happy Frog
Strains: Blackberry Kush, Platinum Girl Scout Cookies

I have been really surprised how fast they dry out compared to the last soil I used, and as well as using larger solo cup containers, but I'm mostly talking about on the surface. The Happy Frog just seems to dry out a lot faster, and so I would brush a few milimeters off of the top surface and if I saw nice dark, moist looking soil I would leave it and if I didn't I would water it a little bit. Well they started looking a little droopy and I figured I should use the weigh method, I have two of them that just have dirt and never sprouted a seed so I weighed them dry, they both came in right around 45 grams. So I weighed my plants, they were all about 50-70 grams, most being around 60. I decided to wait until the morning. Well what I found was that most of them had collapsed and were laying on their sides, and it looked to me like maybe I had went too long without water so I drenched them again. A few hours later, and they're picking back up now, but the leaves have this characteristically over-watered curl to them. So I'm like, which is it, over watered or under watered? They exceeded my scale's 100 gram capacity when fully drenched.

I am trying to consider what else it could be beside the watering too. The quality of my tap water is a concern to me, because I know it's pretty hard water, I get calcium deposits on my dishes all the time. Could this be symptomatic of poor quality water? I figured I might as well gamble a dollar and go pick up some distilled water to see if it helps.

Then there's the light, it seems like no matter how close I put it to them they want to stretch toward it. You can kind of see how they're all bending radially in toward a center like each one is trying to get closer to the light even though it's pretty much right on top of them. Maybe I need a bulb with better PAR? This is just the Apollo one that came with my light kit.

I'm not really worried, they pulled through on the last grow and looked like this, but I don't think this is what healthy seedlings should look like and I am trying to improve. Would like to give them a little more of a stress-free infancy.

IMG_20160824_115029.jpg
IMG_20160824_115023.jpg
IMG_20160824_1150121.jpg

Its hard to tell from the pics but it looks like small containers and maybe a little over watered but again I can't really see the full problems.

Hello Fertilizer.

I had several batches that started exactly the same way last spring.
1) I over-watered. They need to really dry out, to just starting to wilt. Every 2-3 days is probably too often even in solo cups.
2) Had too much N in soil.
3) Had soil pH of 5.5.
It took a while after I corrected these things but eventually they turned around. I just have really long stem bases but normal growth above that.

Back
Top Bottom