Which seedbank has the best Jack Herer?

part of your post described what's called "air-layering" which is a great way to get rooted clones without any fuzz whatsoever. The mother feed the branch and you just cut it when it has roots. Brilliant stuff. I have a blog-post about it if anyone is interested - link in my signature :)

And indeed - The plants doesn't need to have the perfect conditions I give them. but it doesn't hurt either. At least they'll survive in there for months while I figure out what madness to do with them :)

In regards to taking a cutting from a cannabis plant and rooting it... If one sits down and thinks about it, he/she will see that - under good environmental conditions - it's hard not to root a cutting.

If you've ever had a cannabis plant growing outdoors, or even in a really large pot, and seen a branch hang so far down that it is literally on the ground... Wait too long and you might end up with roots there, lol. Throw a little dirt over that branch and you almost certainly will. It's not an inanimate object such as a door or a thick plank - IT'S ALIVE, ha ha.

If the mother is properly hydrated (has been watered properly), has been given an adequate amount of nitrogen, and is otherwise healthy... If you're not doing this in desert-like conditions where the relative humidity is in single-digits, if you're not in the habit of smoking around your plants and, therefore, clogging up the stomata on the undersides of the leaves, if it is not sweltering hot or shivering cold, if you use a good sharp sterile razor blade to make your cuts instead of a pair of scissors (which tend to pinch the cuts)... If you don't buy into the advice for hacking most of the leaves off and cutting away parts of the remainder, or that you "need" to use a humidity dome (which sort of fights the plant's natural behavior and responses)... Then you ought to be able to root a cutting.

You can root a cutting that you cut and then forgot about until it looks like a wet green noodle. You can take a bunch of cuttings, hear the doorbell, panic, wrap the entire two dozen in paper towels and throw them into the refrigerator until your company leaves, several hours later... and root them anyway. For that matter, you can start to give a malnourished, WAY too tall clone that has been living months in a coffee cup away and think, "Wait, that's my last one - I better chop off a piece," and come back a couple hours later, see that you forgot all about it, scrape up the mixture of soil, perlite, and whatever else happens to be on the table, pour it into a water bottle, make a hole (because a green wet noodle is obviously incapable of being pushed into the soil, lol), recut the end of the stem at a good angle, maybe make a cut up - to split the bottom of the stem a little - and scrape along the bottom half inch or so of the stem (not really necessary, but...), carefully drop the stem in, gently press the soil/etc. down around the stem so that there are no large air spaces and you have good soil-to-plant contact, water it in well, check on it the next day...

...and it'll almost always be standing proud, as if it's shouting, "Hi, look at me! Gee, that's a pretty light up there, I think I'm going to head that way. BtW, you don't have a cat, do you? Because I'm sort of allergic and break out in a puddle of complete destruction and cat vomit. But if you don't have a cat, I'm golden. Next stop, the sky!"

My source for the above? Personal experience, lol. I'm somewhat lazy - and a whole lot forgetful. I once sat on the couch and discovered a cutting between the cushion and the arm of the couch. WHOOPS. Rooted it. It was wilted - but it wasn't dead.

Actually, these days, I prefer to let my cuttings wilt a little bit before planting them. Why? Because it becomes so obvious that a cutting is going to make it when it goes from a wilted mess to "standing up" and looking healthy in just a couple of hours. That is a sign that the stem is taking up moisture. Not much, of course - after all, a cut stem-end is NOT a root system. But it doesn't need an ocean, it just needs a little, along with the ability to get a little more when needed. This, combined with the energy and nutritional reserves contained in the leaves that I did NOT cut away, provides the resources needed to grow roots. Ensuring that the cutting has access to just enough moisture - and from the CORRECT end of the plant :rolleyes3 - actively encourages the thing to produce roots quicker. Keep pouring in the water, cover the container so that the humidity level builds and builds and builds, and... Well, stick a fat kid in a recliner and keep throwing candy & soda pop at him and see how often he gets off his fat arse and actually goes looking for food/drink, lol. Me, I don't want a well-watered but rootless cutting - I want a rooted clone.

It aint rocket science. People have been doing it for thousands of years, methinks. Back when "high-tech" was thinking about, you know, maybe we ought to haul that bloated sheep carcass out of the town well, do you suppose that might be why half the populace has died this week, lol? So common sense tells you that there can't be that much required to do this thing.

There are things that help - antifungal type agents one can apply to the stem end, for example. There are things that may speed rooting - the aeroponic cloner, or something like a DWC setup (with mad levels of dissolved oxygen in the solution, mad!) with a floating platform able to take dozens of cuttings. But it's not necessary. All that is necessary is the cutting, something to stick it in, a good clean interface (the stem-end), a little light, and a little water.

Cannabis isn't a difficult to clone species. Even the strains that seem to take a little longer just... take a little longer, lofl. If it was a species that was known to be difficult to root, I'd hunt up a thread where I discussed making a cut around a stem, making another cut the same way about an inch lower, making a vertical cut to join the two - all those cuts through only the first layer of plant, BtW - then peeling the one-inch section away, packing the resulting wound with moss or something similar, adding a hint of water, wrapping the mess with something, and continuing to care for the mother as per normal for a couple weeks, then carefully unwrapping the wound site - and seeing ROOTS, lol, at which point you can cut off your brand new, fully-rooted clone (which constantly received all the water/nutrients it needed, from its mother, just like a gestating baby does right up until you chop the umbilical cord off). That's how you clone "difficult to clone" plant species. Trees, even. And, yes, it works with cannabis. It's like using a howitzer to kill a fly, lmao, but it works fine.

I'm just jabbering, lol. It was either that or go poop, and I felt the need to run my (virtual) mouth more than I felt any other need. Now, however, I can feel my priorities... shifting ;) . Gotta... run!

(A very quick) EDIT: I do not wish to give offense, but feel that this must be stated: I think that one reason why some people have trouble with this stuff is the same reason why newbies collectively manage to kill so many plants even though cannabis has been growing wild - often in deplorable conditions - for countless thousands of years. They "care" them to death, lol. How well do you think your wife would like giving birth if you were pestering her all the way through labor? Yeah, better wear your catcher's mask and cup for that :rolleyes3 . There's a reason why, if someone asks why their plants are drooping and I reply, "They're under-watered," I then add, "Wait, are you a NEW grower? In that case, they're probably over-watered." Because the new grower would never forget to water. He's in there every day, sometimes many times per day, just looking for something to do (here's a suggestion, bring your laptop and just sit there with your plants, reading here at the forum). He's thinking, IDK, "It's been TWO HOURS and I haven't bothered to tend to these plants once! I know, I bet they're thirsty. Why, I've had two glasses of iced tea and I could use another. I'll just give them a little drink, shall I?" So my vote is "take the cutting, stick the cutting, water the cutting, and leave the cutting alone!" (Water when it droops again - not before.)

They're also available in the same quantities from the breeder's own website (and Sensi Seeds is also one of our forum's sponsors). I'm not sure if they ship to the US, though.

I believe this should answer your question - copy/paste from an article about Jack Herer strains

I loved this post. The most thought out and informative post I have read. I remembered this when I started thinking about running Jack Herer this run but couldn't find it. Ran it anyway so it all worked out. Finding it now is just funny. I only popped seeds a week ago lol. I am running the Greenhouse Jack Herer.

Grab some of those 3 packs from Sensi if you want to try the supposed best, I did. Who knows how long they will last....I know I certainly don't want to have to buy 10 of them in order to try them.

This is a very good thread, Nic! Thanks everyone for the info.

Nic I wanted to hear some follow up from you on how your Jack Herer grow went, if it did... Did it?

I got 3 freebie Sensi Jack Herer regular seeds along with an order from SantYerbasi and am going to grow them out. Am thinking of flowering the males in a separate room to get some pollen for selectively pollinating a few branches.

Seems like JH will flower a bit earlier than a mostly sativa (it is said to be 55% sativa, and the indica in it may trigger an earlier and a bit shorter flowering.

Anyone have any experience there?

How was that autoflowering JH from GHS?

I've been growing "mostly sativas" the past few years with 70 and 80-day flowering times that ripen into November. For an outdoor grow @ 47 N this can mean cold weather. Then I got these Sensi Jack Herer reg freebies and started reading up. JH is not a cold-resistant outdoor strain like Jamaican Pearl or Mexican Sativa, and probably will not thrive as the fall weather cools off. But it seems the 40-45% indica genetics would make for flowering earlier and shorter, about 60 days.

Do the 4 phenos each flower differently and for different length of time? Anyone have any info? Anyone grown Sensi Jack Herer regular?

That's good to hear. Alongside the Sensi JH reg I'll be growing several Greenhouse Seeds sativas: Arjan's Haze 1, Arjan's Strawberry Haze, and Arjan'g Ultra Haze 2, my first grow with Greenhouse Seeds. From what everyone said before in this thread, I guess the Sensi original Jack Herer has not been surpassed by GHS or anyone else.

Sensi JH is F1, so you can expect to get a wide split of all genotypes. The quickest one finishes in around 50-57 days and the closest to Original Haze can go 120. It really depends on what’s your die roll gonna be. I got the Seedsman freebies from my buddy and I’m really happy with both my plants. The first one is already hanging dry.

Sensi JH is F1, so you can expect to get a wide split of all genotypes. The quickest one finishes in around 50-57 days and the closest to Original Haze can go 120. It really depends on what’s your die roll gonna be. I got the Seedsman freebies from my buddy and I’m really happy with both my plants. The first one is already hanging dry.

Thanks conradino! I've read some general info stating there are 4 phenos, 1 being more indica-looking and 3 sativa-leaning. But I can't find much info other than that.

Is the 50-57 day ripening timeframe for the indica-leaning pheno? Do you know where I could find more info on the JH phenos?

Just go to Sensi website and they’re all well described. The shortest flowering one is the NL #5 leaning one, but it looks very hazey in early bloom.

Here's everything Sensi says about the 4 Jack Herer phenos on sensiseeds.com : "Three of Jack Herer’s four main phenotypes are heavily Sativa-influenced while the fourth has a growth pattern leaning towards Indica - fast-flowering and relatively compact with a dense, expansive, rounded bud structure that’s suited to cash-cropping."

I'd be grateful if anyone knows where there is maybe a bit more detail...

Yep tell me man. I’ve started two seeds and tried to find out some basics about nutrient demands, vigour, temps, RH... well how it grows, what really puts it in the swing and such, but I found NOTHING.

The only info that gets repeated is that it’s a finicky strain that’s very hard to grow and I second that!

It’s a spoilt hydro plant badically!

I can tell you something about what you can expect though. So this NL Afghani plant gives you at least one pheno which flowers quickly and has dense and hard buds. My tester gave lovely 50/50 high, but it was fresh and less ripe. I suspect this one will get heavier later.

The other ones are Skunk/Haze, NL/Haze and Haze phenos, that go longer and can sometimes hit 25% THC. I’d like to see the long flowering one with string bead buds, cause it’s supposed to be very old school. However it’ll flower up to 16-17 weeks, so rather connoisseur’s choice :)

This is one of the golden classics though, so everything in this line should be of quality. The whole P1 stock came from Neville’s... so it really came from NorCal 70’s breeding stock.

I smoked a lot of it in the 90’s when it was still in vogue and people loved it. I smoked my two testers recently and I can honestly say you know straight away why it’s a classic. You might not like it, cause it’s tired blah blah, but it’s classy weed, that’s very important building block for modern cannabis. Hundreds of great strains came from knocking it off and if they’re doing it then you know you have something special on your hands :passitleft:

Here's everything Sensi says about the 4 Jack Herer phenos on sensiseeds.com : "Three of Jack Herer’s four main phenotypes are heavily Sativa-influenced while the fourth has a growth pattern leaning towards Indica - fast-flowering and relatively compact with a dense, expansive, rounded bud structure that’s suited to cash-cropping."

I'd be grateful if anyone knows where there is maybe a bit more detail...

Try using the search function on Sensi Seeds' main website and typing "Jack Herer" into the box. You'll see a number of articles about the man, but there are some about the strain, too, with more information than the strain's item sales page has.

This is one of the golden classics though, so everything in this line should be of quality. The whole P1 stock came from Neville’s... so it really came from NorCal 70’s breeding stock.

I loved Nevil's Haze - for years - before I stupidly lost mine. RiP, Nevil Martin Schoenmakers (February 2, 1956 - March 30, 2019). Thanks for your contributions to the cannabis world. You will be missed. . . .

Back
Top Bottom