White Widow Auto RDWC

This pic was taken last night, I just didn't have time to make an update. I'll do an official update tonight once the water change has been completed.

Last night I opened her up and laid the bigger growth tips down. I'll do one more "flatten top" session before I just let her go for the rest of the grow.

Absolutely man and I appreciate that! In your experience, do autos not need as many nutes as a photo plant? I'm using a hydro Flora Trio chart straight from Gen Hydro, and I'm using 1/4 of their recommended doses. My last grow (photo plant, which is my first grow) used this same chart without these ph falling issues. Maybe it just needs less?
Not something I've ever noticed mate tbh. I just follow the ppm. Start at 200ppm. once it starts dropping by about 20ppm a day I up it to 300ppm.
Etc etc.
Keep it in that sweet spot and nothing can possibly go wrong. Well as long as your not feeding them vodka lol.
Here's my current lot that are just about to go from 300 to about 450ppm. Little less if I can get it in a onner.

Attachments

• 20190605_181247.jpg
    20190605_181247.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 53
Mmm vodka!

That's a beautiful grow you have there, and amazing coloring. Great job! I may switch my guardian over to monitor ppm instead of ec, so I can see the swings better.

Mmm vodka!

That's a beautiful grow you have there, and amazing coloring. Great job! I may switch my guardian over to monitor ppm instead of ec, so I can see the swings better.
Thank you kind sir :)
It is best to measure in ppm for that reason.
Only thing is there's 2 different scales of conversion to ppm, depending on where the meter was made. Some have 0.5 others have 0.7 which means 500ppm/1ec or 700ppm/1ec.
E/c is universal though so better to use that when posting things. Saves any confusion. :)

Day 23

PH has been falling at a slower rate, but falling none the less. I replaced half of the water in the res with fresh water and we'll see how that goes. Lowered EC by quite a bit so I don't anticipate any more issues.

She's taken to the LST like a champ and shows no signs of slowing down. Lights are still around 25", with very tight internodal spacing. I'm very pleased with how she's doing. I'm starting to see the growth tips bunching up, so I'm looking out for some pistils. Maybe in the next few days.

Day 25

PH has been holding steady at 5.8, with EC at 0.9. I think I'll do a water change tomorrow, and probably step down to last weeks nutes and just watch for deficiencies. I don't want to over feed like I did last Saturday, and she seems pretty sensitive to even a 1/4 dose from the Flora hydro chart. No problems, as the new growth is coming in nice and dark green. Not too dark, just right.

Performed another round of LST this evening by flattening everything out. Here's the result.

Everything is dialed and smooth. Other than over feeding and a little burn on her tips, she's happy as a clam. Explosive growth, huge thicc indica fans, I'm really excited for this one.

Day 28

4 weeks in, sweet! Water change yesterday followed by a very low nute mix. 10ml Flora micro, 10ml flora grow, and 8ml flora bloom. That's total, and I have 7 gallons in the res. Her ph still fell 0.4 throughout the day today and she was down almost 3/4 of a gallon. I removed 2 gallons and filled with fresh water to lower ec from 1.2 down to 0.9. We'll see how that goes.

She's looking a little nute burned, so I'm hoping to figure out this nute issue soon. I think she's much more sensitive than my blue dream was, so I'll be even more light on the nutes moving forward.

She's staying nice and short tho, with great development.

Day 30

She's drinking a ton of water at this point, with almost half a gallon of water gone a day. EC and PH remain steady as the water level falls, which is exactly where she needs to be. I added around 1.5 gallons today, and I only put in Z7, Hydroguard, and a little bit of CalMag. I generally don't do add-backs throughout the week, as she gets a water change on the weekends, anyway.

New growth is coming in nice and green now as opposed to having burnt tips. She's not the prettiest to look at anymore, but at least I've fixed this nute issue. She simply requires MUCH less than my last grow, and that's A-OK.

Day 34

I do believe the stretch has begun. She's shooting straight up, and drinking a ton of water as she's supposed to. Her coloring is a bit concerning, but the new growth is coming in green so I believe it's left over from last week. She got a water change today and I also trimmed up around the bottom and middle. I could see leaves dying so she got a bit of a trim. I'll take more in a few days after she's had time to rest.

Does anyone change their light for flower? Since it's an auto, I planned on 18-6 the whole entire time. But I want to see what others think and how they do it.

Day 36

PH is holding steady at 5.9, with EC remaining constant at 1.0. This is good news considering she got a water change on Sunday, and she was down almost a gallon and a half of water today. She's right where she wants to be. I'm hoping this solves her discoloration problems. I'm also seeing some tacoing, but not much.

Something I didn't mention before was that her main stem split as I was laying her colas down. I'm not too worried about it, as there's plenty of tissue for nutrients to travel through, so I suspect she'll do just fine. I wrapped a foam plant tie around it to attempt to brace it, but it doesn't do much.

She got a hair cut again today, probably for the last time. With the tight inter nodal spacing, I wanted as much air flow as I could afford down there. I could remove more, but she's pretty open now and as she gets taller I can re-arrange the colas as I need to.

Under-carriage shot. The lights have been kept around 22" away from her the entire time.

Lastly, I removed all the ties and took a peak at her roots.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Day 39

She's losing around 3/4s of a gallon a day, while EC and PH remain steady at 1.1 and 5.9 respectively. This shows that she finally has the correct amount of nutes, and you can really see how green she's turning based on the new growth coming in. Speaking of new growth, we have a total of 10 colas at the tallest height, and I estimate she's coming up around half an inch a day. She's definitely in stretch now, and it's only a matter of time before we start seeing the fruits of our labors showing.

The top 2-3 nodes are much greener than the stuff below them, so I know I'm right on track. Finally.

I could probably look this up (and I intend to) but does this next picture prove female? Someone told me one time if you take your hand, and cross your index and middle fingers, that's a male. If you uncross them and they're just next to each other, that's a female. So this pic clearly shows female I think.

Day 43

So, she got a water change on Saturday with week 5's nutes, cut down to about an 1/8 of the recommended dose. I haven't had to worry about her PH drifting around, so I think we're going to stick to my numbers from here on out and shouldn't be burning her. Cool.

Since this has been fixed, she's draining her tank about a gallon a day. I decided not to top her up Sunday, and got home yesterday to lots of tacos. I took a look at the tank and she was down almost half of her available water. Shit. I'm now topping up the tank every day, and in the past 24 hours her fingers have opened back up. Sweet.

Closer image of the canopy. The new growth has slightly burned tips, so I may be reducing her feed even lower. Compared to my last grow, she's taking around 60% less nutrients. You can also see some of the older growth turning into tacos. I think air pruning due to lack of water in the tank contributed to this, so I'm continuing to monitor. It's getting better, though.

Now to my questions. @Old Salt and @Pennywise, I'm gonna lean on ya for some help if you don't mind. I'm 43 days in and barely have preflowers. Is this normal? Also, she's obviously stretching right now, with visible preflowers. This means flower has started, right? Do I need to switch my light schedule to 12/12? I've read that almost all autos can use 18/6 the entire grow, but I just want to confirm because she seems a little late compared to other white widow auto grow journals.

I'm going to answer my question here with a post from another forum member:

Yeah I average 7 weeks before throwing pistils. It's pretty normal for the bigger strains. See loads of people freaking when they go past 30 days and puting them to 12/12 cos everyone thinks it must be a photo. Silly people lol.

I'm glad I saw this, so thank you @Barney86 for typing it in a previous thread. It's helped me today!

The taco effect is environmental stress mate. Heat, low humidity, a light too close, not enough air movement or some combination thereof.
If it was to do with the roots they'd be pointing down.
Mind put your pH upto 6.3ish when you go to bloom nutes too cos the pH will start dropping soon :)

That makes total sense on being an environmental issue, because it's been incredibly hot here the last few days. To try and battle that, I've switched my lights to turn off during the hottest parts of the day, and come back on during night. I'll give this a go and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice!

Day 47

I just finished up a water change and a hair cut for her. She's still stretching up, which is great to see. There isn't a whole lot more going on at this point. The tacoing seems to have stopped, or at least isn't getting worse, so that's great. Just moving steadily along.

Day 53

As the water level falls every day, the EC and PH are remaining steady. I need to fill up around a gallon a day now, and if I go two days between topping up the res, the water is entirely too low and I think her roots might be air pruning.

This is only my second grow, and it is wildly different than my first one. I feel really stagnant....like maybe I'm missing something? I'm just not really doing anything, so if anyone sees anything wrong with this plant please feel free to chime in and I'm willing to change things up to make sure this goes well. Right now, we're experiencing abnormally hot temps in our area, and buying an AC unit for 1 plant is out of the question. She's still responding poorly to her environment because of the heat, but there's not much I can really do about that right now. The stretch is still happening, and it might be slowing down, maybe?

At any rate, she's looking a little ragged right now, but I am hoping she'll pull through in the end. Imma shut up now and post some pics. If you're reading this, I appreciate you taking the time to check this log out!

Back
Top Bottom