Why do companies say - 300w LED replaces 400w HPS using only 180w of power?

iv heard a few growers say that there electricity bills are the same as what they would be for hps!

if something says its 300w but apparently it will only drag 150 out the wall then dont believe its a 300w, top and bottom of it is you can double your watts if you dont have them.

hps for yield - led for quality in my oppinion.

I disagree, you can't have a hps bulb anywhere close to the canopy compared to an led without burning the plant, + led grow lights are tailored to MJ where as hps and mh just happen to work having been invented long before indoor cultivation became a thing.

I don't think that is true, because mine say it has 100 individual LED diodes that run 3w each...this is indeed very confusing.

I see that does make sense to me, but then why do they say 300w? I get the wattage the actual light used and the equivalent HPS wattage, but the 300w is the one that bewilders me.
Hi, no led company will run there 3w LED diodes at 3w as they burn out faster, theyre usually run at around 1.8w or something like that. The 300w says how many Watts worth of diodes and the 180w is its actual draw.

Hi, no led company will run there 3w LED diodes at 3w as they burn out faster, theyre usually run at around 1.8w or something like that. The 300w says how many Watts worth of diodes and the 180w is its actual draw.
Someone answered already, sorry!

I disagree, you can't have a hps bulb anywhere close to the canopy compared to an led without burning the plant, + led grow lights are tailored to MJ where as hps and mh just happen to work having been invented long before indoor cultivation became a thing.
It is well known that hps out yields LED due to the fact the plants stretch abit more and the hps has larger footprint giving more of the plant more light. But LED is made for Mj and if you spend enough youll blow hps out of tha water

so i payed $80 for my 600w hps setup, lets say a really good 600w led that would cost around $300-400.

my electricity bill cost's me $180 for 3 weeks 18/6 and 10 weeks of 12/12.

now baring in mind this is my own oppinion on it, if it says its 600w then its pulling 600w unless you can dim them, you cant have a 600w and say its only pulling 400 because then in realistic its only a 400w.

aswell as having to add cal mag which is another expense.

everyone iv asked on here about electricity bills they have all said the same as they are using around the same $ every grow.

and thats why i cant justify buying something that cost's more money but doesnt get as much yield and yes we all no led produces great quality bud.

led lights werent just specifically made for MJ they were made for apparently cheaper running cost with them being higher emiting lights.

so i payed $80 for my 600w hps setup, lets say a really good 600w led that would cost around $300-400.

my electricity bill cost's me $180 for 3 weeks 18/6 and 10 weeks of 12/12.

now baring in mind this is my own oppinion on it, if it says its 600w then its pulling 600w unless you can dim them, you cant have a 600w and say its only pulling 400 because then in realistic its only a 400w.

aswell as having to add cal mag which is another expense.

everyone iv asked on here about electricity bills they have all said the same as they are using around the same $ every grow.

and thats why i cant justify buying something that cost's more money but doesnt get as much yield and yes we all no led produces great quality bud.

led lights werent just specifically made for MJ they were made for apparently cheaper running cost with them being higher emiting lights.

Interesting cost accounting. I think you've got a point.
> everyone iv asked on here about electricity bills they have all said the same as they are using around the same $ every grow.
That's an interesting data point. And surprising. Everything I've read makes me think that LEDs make light more efficiently (less power wasted as heat) and that color of the light they put out is more efficient (minimal output in colors that don't contribute to photosynthesis). I would expect there to be a significant $$ difference at the end of the grow, but if not, then why pay more for LED?

While electric bills may be a little higher and temps are also a factor. The bud density and size make HPS lights king. Start up prices are also pretty reasonable. With 600 watt HPS averaging around 150 dollars. I'm not bashing LED's they have their place in many grow rooms where heat issues will be a problem. I've seen amazing results with them. Lots more research is needed for LED purchase's though. While HPS purchase's are more straight forward. HPS technologies are growing too with spectrum enhanced bulbs and air cooled fixtures. Making them still a solid choice

Would you say an LED that actually draws 150W is similar to a 150w hps?

I remember reading somewhere, "Don't use watts to compare," and I think that is probably good advice. There's the question of how much power (i.e. watts) the light is actually using (plugging it into a Kill a Watt device will tell you easily) and the second question of how efficiently the lamp is converting electric power into light (my understanding is that LEDs have the edge here). So to answer your question, except for a very quick, very rough estimate, I wouldn't compare LED to HPS just on actual power used.

Also how do you like your taotronics bulb? My friend had some speakers by that brand they were good

It's a nice little unit. Seems well made. At 9 watts actual power used, it's the kind of light you might put over a flower pot on the kitchen windowsill in winter time to give it a little boost. (I just bought it because I was curious about these newfangled LED lights and wanted one to play with.)

While electric bills may be a little higher and temps are also a factor. The bud density and size make HPS lights king. Start up prices are also pretty reasonable. With 600 watt HPS averaging around 150 dollars. I'm not bashing LED's they have their place in many grow rooms where heat issues will be a problem. I've seen amazing results with them. Lots more research is needed for LED purchase's though. While HPS purchase's are more straight forward. HPS technologies are growing too with spectrum enhanced bulbs and air cooled fixtures. Making them still a solid choice

I'm certain that it won't be long before LEDs get so good and their price falls so far that other technologies will fall out of use. But for now, according to everything I've read, the older, lower-priced MH and HPS technology can still give LED a run for the money...

Back
Top Bottom