Wildsage's Newbie Grow - Organic Soil - Indoors

wildsage

Hi guys and thanks for stopping by to read my first journal ever! I have quite a bit of experience as an outdoor organic veggie and herb gardener so I know most of the basics I think when it comes to things such as soil fertilizers and nutrients and pH levels. I've never grown anything indoors using lights of any kind however so some of the process I'm doing for my indoor grow is extremely new to me. (Though I've been doing a SHIT ton of research for over the past month at least) I would really appreciate any help or thoughts from more experienced growers to help me out! :)

The strains I'm starting out with are Tangerine Dream and Critical Kush from Barney's Farm. I picked the TD because it was one of the first strains I've ever smoked when my boyfriend introduced me to weed early this year, and I really really enjoyed it. I ended up getting the Critical Kush as well since it was also a cup winner and from what I read it seemed easier to grow.

My first light is a 135W LED. I got it since it was on sale for pretty cheap and it fit my original tiny grow room perfectly.

For my starting soil I mixed in about:
- 40% of my homemade compost
- 20% coco coir
- 20% perlite
- 20% worm castings
(I added in some cow manure later on with the same mix when I transplanted into larger pots)

As for any additional nutrients I'm using mostly Down to Earth products.
- Soybean meal for a little additional nitrogen and phosphorous in the veg stage
- Seabird guano for a kick of phosphorous during bloom.
- Langbeinite for a whole lot of the potassium in the blooming stage as well.
- I'm planning on giving them a little bit of blackstrap molasses every now and then throughout the blooming stage.
-Also about once a month or so I like to give all of my plants a small dose of epsom salt from walmart with a sprinkle of worm castings.

9/3/16 (Day 1)
I started out germinating both seeds in rapid rooters with some small pots I had laying around outside for my veggie garden. I figured I would just leave them on a south-facing window sill for now.

9/6/16 (Day 3)
The Critical Kush sprouted! I was really surprised by how fast it came. The only thing I'm used to sprouting this fast are the radishes I grow in the backyard. :)

ss_2016-09-28_at_12_27_22_.jpg

9/10/16 (Day 10)
At this point I was getting concerned that the Tangerine Dream seed might be a dud since it was taking so long in comparison to the CK, but I was extremely relieved to see this in the morning!
ss_2016-09-28_at_12_46_32_.jpg

By this time I had already moved the Critical Kush under the 135W LED and it was already starting to grow its first true leaves.

ss_2016-09-28_at_12_48_06_.jpg

9/19/16 (Day 16)
We took a couple pictures of the plants as just a small progress report of their growth. The Critical Kush seemed to be growing pretty quickly which was nice.

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_00_37_.jpg

The Tangerine Dream's lagging slightly behind, which is understandable since it took half a week longer to sprout. But other than that I thought it was looking pretty good as well so far too!

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_03_50_.jpg

The grow room they were in at this point was a tiny 1' x 2' space I had in the side of a closet, and the single 135W LED fit the space well, but at this point I was starting to realize that having two plants in it is probably going to get overcrowded pretty quickly later on.

9/26/16 (Day 23)
I upgraded the grow room and moved the plants into a larger hall closet, where they're currently at. The growing space here is around 2' x 3' with 5.5' of vertical space. I figured this would AT LEAST be large enough for two plants, and possibly even a third in a future grow? :hmmmm:

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_14_32_.jpg

With that thought in mind, I bought a cheap $10 fluorescent grow light from Walmart. I looked this light up and thoughts about it seem pretty mixed? It seems that some people think that they're perfectly fine for seedlings and early veg, while more elitist growers seem pretty dismissive of it. My idea is that I'm going to keep any clones and seedlings up on this upper shelf and just have them growing separately so they'll be ready to switch out whenever what's on the bottom of the closet is done and harvested. The three seeds I popped in up here are: Cheese Candy, Pakistan Valley, and White Berry. I got most of these as freebies when I ordered the Tangerine Dream and Critical Kush from Herbie's.

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_24_20_.jpg

As for the progress on the Tangerine Dream and Critical Kush, for the most part they're doing really good.

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_28_05_.jpg

However I noticed on the Critical Kush there's a slight yellowing happening on a couple of the leaves. The worst is the on the one at the top of this picture. I doubt that I've been underwatering so I'm not entirely sure what they're from? My guess is that it might be nutrient burn or some sort of deficiency? Until this point the only additional nutrients I gave other than what's already in the soil is some soybean meal, blackstrap molasses, and a tiny bit of epsom salt and coconut water.

There really isn't any yellowing happening on the Tangerine Dream so far, which is also a little confusing.

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_35_05_.jpg

Another issue I noticed is that my plants seem to be a little bit on the smaller/shorter side in comparison to pictures of other plants I've seen that are about the same age. I'm thinking I may have had the LED too far away from the plants which may have slowed their growth slightly? I was following the recommended distance of about a meter which came with the light, but a meter is pretty much twice the distance in comparison to what I've heard other growers do.

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_42_29_.jpg

ss_2016-09-28_at_01_41_23_.jpg

9/28/16 (Day 25)

So I moved the light closer to the plants, about 1.5' and I also transplanted the Critical Kush into a 3 gallon pot. I'm attempting to do some LST using safety pins to loop a side branch down closer to the side of each pot, but both of the plants are still pretty short that it's kinda impossible to get a real good bend in the main stem from it.

I also have a second LED light coming in a couple of days. I meant to get another of the same 135W LED I already have, but I accidentally got a 138W LED made by the same company since they look very similar. From what it looks like online, the 135W is slightly larger so the 138W might be a little bit more focused directly underneath it. I don't think it'll matter much since I'm planning on just having each light directly above each plant anyways.

I was also thinking about getting an 150W HPS light since I read that mixing HPS and LED gets the best of both worlds during blooming. The only thing is I'm worried about any heat the light might produce? my 135W LED is pretty cool and the temperature in the closet is about 75°F whenever the lights are on and I have a clip-on fan for air circulation. I'm concerned that the light might raise the temp above 80°F which I heard is too hot for optimal blooming? Or would the light be weak enough heat-wise to keep it below that normally? :hmmmm:

Hey Wildsage, you've got a lot of questions... Let me see if I can answer any of them. First off fluorescents are great for seedlings and veg. They need to be close (2") to foliage to be effective though. That's where you run into problem during flower. You never have enough lights it seems. If you can vent the heat out and bring fresh air in a small HPS will do wonders. That ufo is good for one plant but really has not much of a footprint to cover more than that.

The indica dominant plant is looking very much on schedule, and the other is taking its time that's all. She'll liven up soon.

My only advice is to make sure that peat pellet doesn't stay too wet around the stem, it may cause it to rot at the ground line.

So with all that said, I'll welcome you to the grow family and wish you luck...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Subbed in this one, very interested in the organic side of gardening but very new too it all. Im sure i can learn alot from you so expect a few questions on your journey.
Good luck with the grow!

Thanks guys for your interest in my little grow and for the good luck! :love:
I'm very excited how things will go from here and to learn from everyone.

@Snidrajsed

Oh I knew the distance for fluorescents was a lot closer, but I didn't know it was that close! That would explain why I woke up this morning to see my new seedlings stretched so much farther than my first two did. The sprouts for the first two were only about 1.5 inches while these new three seem to be around 3 already.

I'm planning on just keeping them in veg under the fluorescent and then flowering them underneath the LEDs right after I harvest the ones I currently have under them.

As for the HPS I REALLY want to add one just because of how much I heard it improves yields, however I'm not sure if having air vented in/out of the closet is going to possible. If anything I might just use it later in the year when it starts to get cooler? One of the walls of the closet is an outer wall and my house is so old I doubt there's much insulation lol.

By the way do you have any idea what the couple tiny spots of yellowing on the tips of the leaves could be? its only on a couple and very minor so I'm not too worried at this point though.

@Manic4organic

I'm very flattered! As far as organic gardening in general goes, it comes sorta naturally to me at this point since the hobby sort of runs in my mom's side of the family. We're from Korea and the only way of getting any good fruits and veggies from the old country was to grow it in our backyards lol.

Though growing MJ is completely new to me so it'll be a learning experience for us both I hope! :)

By the way do you have any idea what the couple tiny spots of yellowing on the tips of the leaves could be? its only on a couple and very minor so I'm not too worried at this point though.
Since it's only on one leaf I assume it was either dripped on while feeding or perhaps was sitting in/on the medium and got nutrient solution on it that way. If it progresses or starts on other leaves you'll want to ask again but for now I'd leave it be, seems healthy to me.

Thanks guys for your interest in my little grow and for the good luck! :love:
I'm very excited how things will go from here and to learn from everyone.

@Snidrajsed

Oh I knew the distance for fluorescents was a lot closer, but I didn't know it was that close! That would explain why I woke up this morning to see my new seedlings stretched so much farther than my first two did. The sprouts for the first two were only about 1.5 inches while these new three seem to be around 3 already.

I'm planning on just keeping them in veg under the fluorescent and then flowering them underneath the LEDs right after I harvest the ones I currently have under them.

As for the HPS I REALLY want to add one just because of how much I heard it improves yields, however I'm not sure if having air vented in/out of the closet is going to possible. If anything I might just use it later in the year when it starts to get cooler? One of the walls of the closet is an outer wall and my house is so old I doubt there's much insulation lol.

@Manic4organic

I'm very flattered! As far as organic gardening in general goes, it comes sorta naturally to me at this point since the hobby sort of runs in my mom's side of the family. We're from Korea and the only way of getting any good fruits and veggies from the old country was to grow it in our backyards lol.

Though growing MJ is completely new to me so it'll be a learning experience for us both I hope! :)
Well i do hope that one day i develop an organic mind as free thinking as yours, when my veggies get started these will also be grown all organic as well as the herbs.
How long do you plan on vegging for by the way?

So my second LED came in today! It's a slightly higher wattage but it's about half the size of the first UFO I got. I guess it's more direct light instead of as spread out? Should work well since I'm just gonna have one light over each plant. I'll post a couple pics of my whole setup here soon!

About the leaf browning, I noticed this morning that the two leaves that I noticed that had it, it began to spread up each leaf, leaving it somewhat transparent? I'm slightly afraid it might be some sort of pest, but I haven't really noticed anything under the leaves. There's a couple of tiny spots on one or two leaves that have this sort of transparency too. I'm not sure if maybe it's because I accidentally spilled some coconut water onto the leaves... but if it gets worse I'm gonna bring out some neem oil.

Also I'm planning on having them veg for about 4 weeks, so I'm gonna switch them around the 7th, depending on how they look then. Since I heard that plants can double in size during flowering I wanna wait until they get maybe a half foot to a full foot taller so they'll occupy most of the space available.

Okay so I'm back from a day of work and I come bearing pics my boyfriend took!

First of all here's a pic of how my setup looks currently. The newer light is in the front and above the Critical Kush. Instead of lining the whole closet with mylar, we chose to just tape some emergency blanket mylar to those bendable cardboard displays that school kids use for science fairs. That way we can keep it more contained around the plants. :)

DSC_004455.JPG

Now here comes all the problems and bad news.
So here's a pic of the seedlings I had under the cheap fluorescent I got from Walmart. Since they stretched out so much I was getting worried about their stability and tried to use a twig from outside as a support. Unfortunately I underestimated how delicate seedlings can be and almost as soon as I touched the Pakistan Valley, the sprout broke in two. So of course I immediately decided not to mess with the other two after.

DSC_004550.JPG

So between now and my first post here, I attempted to do some LST by using safety pins to pull the stems over to the side, which unfortunately broke the beauty of how perfectly symmetric they've been growing. :(

DSC_003175.JPG

DSC_003866.JPG

Other than not being as pretty to look at anymore, there are a couple other issues that have started to arise. I ended up just pulling off the two leaves that I noticed the deterioration on earlier, since it just kept on spreading down the leaves. Also a few more yellowing spots and holes have started to appear, and I have next to no clue as to why it's happening. I'm not noticing any pests under the leaves?

DSC_003269.JPG

DSC_003371.JPG

DSC_003461.JPG

DSC_003570.JPG

As for the Tangerine Dream, it's not having the same problems as the Critical Kush. No holes or anything, just maybe a little nutrient burn in a couple places from how fertile my soil is, I think.

DSC_003952.JPG

DSC_004050.JPG

One big problem though I noticed is that I'm definitely overwatering my plants. We foundwhat looks like mold at the bottom of the smart pot for the Tangerine Dream. I was already suspecting that I might be from how droopy the leaves were looking, but luckily I'm planning on transplanting the Tangerine Dream from this 1 gallon pot to a 3 gallon real soon. :yikes:

DSC_003669.JPG

Rough day :(

Looking forward to seeing some suggestions to help you out!

I know I was overwatering too... I thought one inch dry soil was right, but not always it turns out. I see they "limp" when out of water or they got too much... When they are upright n perky i leave em alone! lol

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yeah I'm used to watering by measuring the soil up to my first knuckle with my fingertip. I'm thinking I might have had issues with water drainage earlier with the 1 gallon pots since the water collecting tray fit almost snug against the fabric, instead of a little extra room to flow out onto. It probably wouldn't have hurt to add a little bit more perlite in my soil mix either.

Good news though! The leaves are already less droopy after a day of just being left alone! :)

Your going to have to pull that root ball out and shake the soil off so that you can assess the damage. The roots if covered in slime will need to be washed with a mild h2o2 solution. That's most likely because light is penatrating through the pots and too much moisture. This would be my course of action, better confirm with someone in the FAQs. Hope you get her better wilds age.

Also surprised nobody mentioned it, but you need to monitor the pH of everything (liquid) that you feed the plants and adjust as needed to between 6.3-6.8.

A trick I use to stay on schedule watering, is to weigh my plants to monitor their water usage. This has made a big difference in my plants this grow. I weigh a container with soil only for a baseline then after watering when plants get down to or close to the "dry" weight, I soak again.

YT

Well I transplanted the Tangerine Dream into the larger 3 gallon pot last night, had a look at the roots and they seemed pretty fine! I was talking with one of my friends about it and she suggested that it might actually be the beginning of a magnesium deficiency. I have some cali-mag that I bought for my hydroponic system that I'm experimenting with some veggies which would probably be the easy way to fix it... BUT I wanna try to stay true to my organic grow, so I'm just going to add some powdered eggshells and epsom salt the next watering instead!

I test the pH levels of my water supply for my plants every week or so and it's usually around 6.5 to 7.0. I don't have a nice digital tester so I just eyeball it with my dropper kit. I do know that my soil is probably slightly more acidic at around 6.0 to 6.5 from measuring the runoff however.

Also weighing the wet/dry weight of the plants is a great idea and I can't believe I haven't already been doing it! Thank you so much for that suggestion! :)

So it's been a couple weeks and things seem to be going pretty well! I switched the lower closet to a 12/12 light schedule on the 7th, since I'm hoping on being able to have everything harvested and cured in early December, before Christmas lol.

Here's some of the pics I've taken since my last update here!

These were taken on the 10th:

DSC_028012.JPG

DSC_028613.JPG

As you can tell by the way the Tangerine Dream is growing in the first pic, I decided to unpin it from the side of the pot since I didn't want to stress it too much while it was recovering from whatever was afflicting it. This of course made it all wompy and still leaning towards the side, but about 4-7 days later when it became very apparent that the plant was doing fine again, I pinned it back down to keep the central cola from dominating the overall growth.

Also! If you noticed that little bit of white splotchiness that's occuring on the leaves, that's just some diatomaceous earth that I had sprayed onto the leaves of the plants. I had noticed a few flies and gnats flying around in the grow room, and the DE is a really effective and safe insecticide to use for plants! It will repel most bugs and any that come into contact with the diotomaceous earth will eventually die. I have a huge 10 pound bag of this stuff just because it's so handy to have as an organic gardener.

Now here's how the plants look so far with the pictures my boyfriend took yesterday:

DSC_034518.JPG

DSC_034614.JPG

DSC_0351-21.jpg

It's really amusing to look at the plants side-by-side since you can really easily tell the difference in the growth characteristics between the Critical Kush, which is a pure indica and the Tangerine Dream which is more sativa. For the most part to me they seem pretty lush and growing well and with it being about 2 weeks from switching the light cycle, there seems to be the beginning of some flower development in the Critical Kush!

Now for the questions I have at this point are:

1. Since the Critical Kush is shorter and bushier should I consider trimming some of the fan leaves to allow light to pass through more to the lower parts of the plant? I've read some info that supports doing this and some that seems to be against it, claiming that it doesn't make much of a difference and could potentially stunt growth slightly.

2. About the last week before I switched the plants over to the 12/12 light schedule, the Tangerine Dream started developing "the claw" shape on some of its leaves which I read is a sign of nitrogen toxicity. Being a soil grower I can't really think of a feasible way to remove nitrogen from the soil it's already potted in, so that's why I waited until the 7th to begin flowering, since I'm aware that nitrogen should be kept pretty minimal during the flowering stage. Since then the new growth seemed to be doing pretty fine but recently in the past couple days I think I'm starting to see more of the leaves develop the claw shape at their tips. I haven't added any nitrogen supplements so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is coming from.

It could be Nitrogen Toxicity or it could be simply Overwatering. If you are 100% sure on Nitrogen Toxicity you should flush your plant with a good flushing solution (GH FloraKleen or House and Garden Drip Clean) or straight water. But of course if you have overwatered that could make things worse.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom