X Marks the Spot - XLR8's Big Bang Auto Hydro Grow 2011

Hi Buddy.:)

That Mini-Matter is looking good inside, even though that's not the final set up.
What you've done with the Flo n Gro is amazing. I think you just made a blueprint for others to follow. ;)
Now that I'm inside, an indoor RO system is sounding better and better. Now to convince Jo. :Namaste:

Hey OMM just tell Jo you're installing a drinking water purification system :thumb:

Hey OMM just tell Jo you're installing a drinking water purification system :thumb:

Hi Blue. :)

Well, it's a courteous thing to do.

I. We drink filtered water already.
2. It's my money. :)

Hi Blue. :)

Well, it's a courteous thing to do.

I. We drink filtered water already.
2. It's my money. :)

"Yeah! And if you want to put your money down the drain, you're entitled!" :)

(just anticipating the response!) :rofl:

Dude went straight high tech on us small op guys didnt he!!?? Oh man thats cool bro, its gotta drive you nuts with anticipation!! It would me! Congratulations bro.!!

Hi Buddy.:)

That Mini-Matter is looking good inside, even though that's not the final set up.
What you've done with the Flo n Gro is amazing. I think you just made a blueprint for others to follow. ;)
Now that I'm inside, an indoor RO system is sounding better and better. Now to convince Jo. :Namaste:

RO system is nice, for sure. Flo n Gro is a major learning experience for me. I had never even seen a system like this run, but I liked the idea that they were about the perfect size, and low to the ground with some customizing possible. Also, I like that it will have a "brain" and take care of things without me having to babysit it constantly. I really like the custom bucket I made, and I'm thinking I might add airstones to the Flo n Gro buckets, too, for even more aeration.

Good luck with Jo on the RO, and thanks for your support on the mini-matter, grow room, and flo n gro -- You da (Old Med) Man! :thumb:

Great job, XLR8!:bravo:

Lookig awesome and your plants will love the combo drip/DWC. I modifed my Waterfarms with airstones in the res, but it is much cheaper going the DIY route. I do know some growers that, once the roots hit the res turn the drip off entirely but I let it run 24x7 throughout the grow.

I can't wait to see those "bad boys" all filled up with big girls! :grinjoint:

Great work! :welldone:

Hiya Mr. K! Thanks buddy.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the Waterfarm - interesting how we have somewhat identical, yet somewhat mirror image waterfarm/DWC set-ups!

I was thinking I'm gonna let the drip ring keep on dripping throughout the grow, but I can see that it may not matter a ton. Thanks for sharing what you did - think I will too.

I am REALLY anxious to fill it up, but I have a lot to get done right now - why can't I just tend to my plants 24/7, dammit?! :)

Great DIY and setup xlr8! Pretty soon all you'll be able to see is giant plants and sticky beautiful buds :thumb:.

:yahoo: yahoo to that! :) :high-five::roorrip::):cheer:

Thanks my friend for that glorious image - I can't wait, it's killing me!

Dude went straight high tech on us small op guys didnt he!!?? Oh man thats cool bro, its gotta drive you nuts with anticipation!! It would me! Congratulations bro.!!

Thanks a bunch, Quix, I'm having a blast learning lately. I feel like I have gotten a pretty good understanding of a few different hydro systems by reading up, experimenting, and just drilling holes in some buckets and rubbermaid containers. :)

I'm totally going nuts with anticipation - you got that 420% right. :high-five:

Well, I figured out that the BB Auto is really liking that new hydro bucket. Her roots were NOT looking healthy when I transplanted her, and I had so much going on (shit to do) that I just had to get her moved. The good news is that she is really thriving since she went into the bucket and out of the Mothership. I'm thinking that the constant drip through the roots waterfarm style is probably just what she needed right now. She's already taking off at a pace she never came close to in the Mothership.

I think I had too much stagnant water in the tub of the Mothership, and the crack in the lid (that I should have epoxied after last grow) lowered the lid so that the netpots were dipping into the water at the normal res level, and I must have had a little water sitting in the bottom of the netcups and some root rot I'm thinking.

The newer roots look okay, and she's just zooming in the DIY bucket I made -- so hopefully she'll keep up the healthier pace.

No kidding Q! There's grow creep and then there's the quantum leap approach Xlr8 is taking :woohoo:

Quantum leap forward, quantum leap back I'm afraid. It was fun while it lasted, and what a great bunch of supporters I've had here!

Sad day for me today. Yesterday our basement flooded (weather related), and my new grow space with it. I managed to evacuate things this morning before the water could do any damage to the tent or other things in the room, but the whole room had to be emptied out. Worse, actually -- a flooded basement means having contractors to help provide damage control. Everything had to be relocated and out of sight. It was (IS) a lot of work!

Fortunately, this is a pretty down time with just the one Auto I have going (thank goodness this didn't happen late in a crop of more than 1 plant).

The bright side - the new hydro bucket I made is very portable so I just carried it upstairs and set it by my bedroom window for the day while we went nuts trying to suck water out of our basement with shop vacs. I didn't sleep at all last night because I was desperately trying to prevent the flooding from reaching the grow space. There is no stopping water, however, it goes where it wants. I spent so much time - weeks - pulling everything together, and was an hour from completion when I noticed water seeping up through the floor in an adjacent room.

This just feels like a kick in the gut! I spent last night somewhat successfully stemming the tide and isolating the water issue and living in denial - even posting here when I wasn't battling the flood and, still optimistic that it would stop or that I could keep it from getting to the grow space. I lost the battle at about 5am, and realized we were going to need professionals. They were here a fair chunk of the day, (and making me super paranoid as they worked around stacked sealed rubbermaid containers full of grow gear). :)

I'm not sure when the new grow space will be ready again, but so far I've been able to hang on to the "little auto that could" -- who, for what it's worth, is still really rebounding and flourishing (in my closet at the moment!). Not all is lost yet I guess, but this... reallllly bites.

Brother, that really sucks, I'm so sorry that happened to you.

At least you did save what you could and your gear. I know this feels like a giant step in the wrong direction, but we all know you're strong enough to bounce right back.

Just take it one step at a time, I wish I could be there to help you out.
Sending some good vibes your way my friend.

:Namaste:

Brother, that really sucks, I'm so sorry that happened to you.

At least you did save what you could and your gear. I know this feels like a giant step in the wrong direction, but we all know you're strong enough to bounce right back.

Just take it one step at a time, I wish I could be there to help you out.
Sending some good vibes your way my friend.

:Namaste:

:thanks: Dime. Really kind words, and yes, I wish you could be here to help! Thanks for the vibes, support and encouragement. You're right, I'll bounce back, and I'm actually staying pretty positive about it all (most of the time).

Thanks buddy! :thumb:

"Yeah! And if you want to put your money down the drain, you're entitled!" :)

(just anticipating the response!) :rofl:

Brave soul that I am. I haven't talked to her yet! :whoa:

I think your pretty close on the comment! :)

Oh! Man! xlr8. I am so sorry to hear that! :rollingeyes::rollingeyes::surrender:

After all that work you put in, that sucks! Trying to find some good in this some where. At least it wasn't your whole house. The basement will be super clean now. You can make those little changes you wanted to when you put it all together the first time. That really doesn't help, but you will be doing that.

I'm just really sorry that it happened....you were so fired up about it too.

I wish I could some how help you. Sending good thoughts your way Buddy! :Namaste:

XLR8, real sorry to hear about the basement and hope any damages & expenses are minimal. Luckily, I saw your last grow and know you'll be able to handle the headaches! Unfortunately, there's never a good time for it to happen and not much you can do except "roll with the punches" when it does. Best wishes are with you, Bro! :goodluck:

P.S. I'm kinda wondering about your DIY skills, though, cuz' I know if it happened to BlueDog, he'd just dump in a bunch of airstones and try to use the basement as a giant bubble cloner for his next SOG; and, if it happened to DIME, he'd be trying to find a way to use the basement for some large scale water curing operation! I would have expected you to convert the basement into your RDWC controller, or something, instead of just cleaning it up! :rofl:

XLR8, real sorry to hear about the basement and hope any damages & expenses are minimal. Luckily, I saw your last grow and know you'll be able to handle the headaches! Unfortunately, there's never a good time for it to happen and not much you can do except "roll with the punches" when it does. Best wishes are with you, Bro! :goodluck:

P.S. I'm kinda wondering about your DIY skills, though, cuz' I know if it happened to BlueDog, he'd just dump in a bunch of airstones and try to use the basement as a giant bubble cloner for his next SOG; and, if it happened to DIME, he'd be trying to find a way to use the basement for some large scale water curing operation! I would have expected you to convert the basement into your RDWC controller, or something, instead of just cleaning it up! :rofl:

Xlr8 sorry to hear it and sorry that Mr. Krip made me laugh with this post :)

I've had a flooded basement before and even though it wasn't finished and there was mostly just a bunch of junk down there, it was a total pain in the ass that I'll never forget. It was about this time of the year and the water just rose from where the slab meeets the walls, had about a foot in there. And like you said there's not a whole lot you can do but try pumping as much out as you can.

Sorry to say you'll have mold issues in there for a while too, hopefully the pros have some good ways to treat for that. Good luck my friend and hang in there, we're all pulling for you!

Oh! Man! xlr8. I am so sorry to hear that! :rollingeyes::rollingeyes::surrender:

After all that work you put in, that sucks! Trying to find some good in this some where. At least it wasn't your whole house. The basement will be super clean now. You can make those little changes you wanted to when you put it all together the first time. That really doesn't help, but you will be doing that.

I'm just really sorry that it happened....you were so fired up about it too.

I wish I could some how help you. Sending good thoughts your way Buddy! :Namaste:

Thanks OMM. It's starting to dry now and we've got a whole basement full of industrial fans and dehumidifiers going. I'm just hoping it dries quickly before I have a giant mold factory...

I wish you could help somehow too, but then I wish I could have helped you get your lights up in the Matterhorn as well. Support here from my grow buddies actually does help a lot.

I was just so excited to get going with it all. But, it'll get there again.

Back
Top Bottom