XLR8's BCNL Mixed Strain Hydro Grow 2011

Well, I mentioned being busy last few days. I also made my own little hydro bubble tub for seedlings/early veg, and bought an awesome little T5 light for the purpose. Inside the tub are some airstones bubbling away underneath. Here's a pic of what's brewing next (not the greatest picture):

Afghan Kush Ryder, and Big Bang Auto (hard to see the AK Ryder in the pic):

bigbang_ak_auto_april_29_11.jpg

Unfortunately, the AK Ryder seedling went through some trauma early on and I'm not sure she'll make it. I forgot to "loosen up" the rapid rooter before I germed her, and she actually pushed herself out of the cube! I carefully placed her back in after loosening it (cursing myself for being sloppy in the first place). She actually seemed to be fine at first, but stunted for sure. I broke off one of the cotyledons in the process. Argh. Despite that, she seemed to grow, although slowly. Today, she looks a little weak and is struggling. Hopefully I can nurse her along... The Big Bang auto seems perfectly healthy. Too much going on at once!

So true, OMM - I don't even want to think about how good she'd have been had she not gotten knocked up. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure she was from some good Humboldt bud some friends had given us a couple of years ago. That's the only bud I can remember having with these rusty red hairs, smell, and high. Who knows?! I really lucked out that it's so potent despite the seeds.

Oh, and the Blueberry gets better every day. It's shaping up nicely and curing perfectly so far. One of the best highs I've ever had, and definitely the tastiest. I take a hit of it, and lick my lips afterwards and they taste like blueberry. Crazy! The only down side is that the yield is a bit disappointing for both, but Missy will probably yield somewhere between 2-3z I'm guessing. Mostly due to a million little buds. But if one hit does it, it's as good as double that amount in my book.

Thanks for being part of the ride, OMM -- I feel blessed to be around such terrific people and growers such as yourself. :thanks: my friend! :high-five:

It's us that are lucky xlr8:)
Glad my Blueberry is doing good. I hope she turns out just like yours!
I love one hitters....a rare girl she is. Give yourself a bit of credit too. :grinjoint:
Your the one that did such a nice job growing them! :party:

I have been guilty of dismissing her for being a shaggy looking, small budded bagseed tramp.

Hey Xlr8! Reminds me of an old gf... sure we were never going to get married but she was potent too if ya catch my drift :cheer:.

I'm starting to hate you guys with your kick-ass bagseeds, mine have all pretty much sucked. Not even as good as what they came from.

Pictures of Missy the bagseed tramp! Just before chop...

missy_apr_28.jpg

missy_apr_282.jpg

missy_apr_283.jpg

missy_apr_284.jpg

missy_apr_285.jpg

missy_apr_286.jpg

missy_apr_287.jpg

Chopped!
missy_stem_root.jpg

Congrats Bro you're on a roll now :party:

Hey Xlr8! Reminds me of an old gf... sure we were never going to get married but she was potent too if ya catch my drift :cheer:.

I'm starting to hate you guys with your kick-ass bagseeds, mine have all pretty much sucked. Not even as good as what they came from.

Congrats Bro you're on a roll now :party:

Thanks Blue! Gotta love the potent ex girlfriends. :)

I'm a bit hesitant to call it kick-ass bagseed, but I certainly lucked out in that it is definitely heavy duty strong. I'll concede that it might have been pretty kick ass had it not gotten seeded. I don't like the smell/taste much, but I can live with it for sure - especially as a one hitter quitter... Thanks for everything my friend!!

Glad it was potent and rocked you, are the seeds mature enough to be viable? i hope you do a grow with them, i'd happily follow that journal :) good job

Glad it was potent and rocked you, are the seeds mature enough to be viable? i hope you do a grow with them, i'd happily follow that journal :) good job

Hi Naph! I'm not sure if any of them are going to be viable, but it got seeded because my Blueberry hermied some. I somehow managed to keep the Blueberry from getting itself seeded, but the bagseed plant got seeded. Since it's seeded from a hermie I doubt the seeds are worth growing out even if there are any that are viable (too great of a chance of more hermie issues, I think). Too bad, because I'd consider growing another like her otherwise. I also think she got pollinated later on and the seeds seem to be mostly immature. Not all the buds got seeded, but it seems like quite a few did. Oh well, it is what it is. :)

Hello my friend, sorry I've been away so long. But now that my girls are getting water therapy for their PM addiction... I now get the chance to catch up on great journals like yours :).

It's cool you grew some "One Hit Wonder". :high-five:

I wish more strains were like that. I do love smoking but when pain is an issue I could care about taste... I wanna get KTFO (Knocked The F Out) quick :rofl:

That last pick of your girl squeezed in the cab reminds me of what it would look like if Shaq was driving a mini cooper :).

Great work and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

:Namaste:

Hows the meds curing up my man? Mine just finished drying, about 3 days in the grow box. Manicure and mason jar time now. Hits clean, still harsh but gets you stoneyyy.

:tokin:

Awesome w!sest - that sounds great. Always fun the first couple of weeks after a harvest when you get to sample the new stuff. :)

Blueberry is really curing up nicely now - great smell and taste, and they look pretty killer. One of the best highs I've ever had. My wife and I have decided it's going to be our "special occasion" bud. I wish every day were a special occasion!

The bagseed is done drying and is just starting her cure - also coming along nice and the smell improves daily (I didn't like the way she smelled much, it wasn't foul at all, just unique in a way that I didn't care for - my wife loved the smell, lol). Now, the smell and taste seem to be maturing a bit as the cure starts and I'm actually quite liking it. Combine that with it being really strong I'm pretty happy despite her small fluffy slightly seeded buds. If only she didn't get knocked up!

I'll probably through a couple more bud or jarred bud photos up in the next couple of days... Maybe I'll see if there is a good enough blueberry nug for the NOTM contest or something.

:peacetwo:

Hello my friend, sorry I've been away so long. But now that my girls are getting water therapy for their PM addiction... I now get the chance to catch up on great journals like yours :).

It's cool you grew some "One Hit Wonder". :high-five:

I wish more strains were like that. I do love smoking but when pain is an issue I could care about taste... I wanna get KTFO (Knocked The F Out) quick :rofl:

That last pick of your girl squeezed in the cab reminds me of what it would look like if Shaq was driving a mini cooper :).

Great work and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Dime, no worries about being away -- you've had your hands full and then some! It's hard enough to keep up with other peoples journals, harder when you are harvesting, and then layer on the issues you've been dealing with and the research I'm sure you've been doing on the matter -- well it makes me smile that you've made time at all. :)

You're right, she looks squeezed in there alright, but keep in mind a couple of weeks ago, she wasn't alone - she was almost completely hidden in there behind the Blueberry!

Well, next WAS going to be a couple of auto-flowering plants: Big Bang Auto, and Afghan Kush Ryder. However, I'm afraid that the AK Ryder will need an absolute miracle to survive at this point. She's hanging on by such a slim thread that I fear she may be dead already and just hasn't fallen. So, most likely I'll just grow the Big Bang Auto as a single plant grow.

Typically I don't grow at all in the summer, but these seeds were freebies and I've been wanting to try an "Auto" grow, so thought I'd give it a shot since I may be able to chop before things get too steamy. The AK Ryder problem was a total space headed F-up on my part. I forgot to "loosen up" the Rapid Rooter I used to germ her in and she pushed herself out - then I broke off one of her cotyledons when trying to replant her. To add insult to injury I didn't give her enough humidity. Argh. Nobody to blame on this one but me. Oh well, my space is small, so I'll let the Big Bang fill it up. :)

On a pretty awesome note, the Big Bang is looking great and she's already got roots out the side of the net pot and her tap is 6" out the bottom into the reservoir. 2 sets of leaves already. :party: Amazing to me -- I think she was germed a week ago! I've never had a seedling take off like her before - but that's why I wanted to try an auto, too.

For you guys who sprout seedlings under flouros (new to me) - how close should I have the fixture to the seedlings when they're really young like this? I'm always hearing that you can get them up nice and close, but not sure on the little ladies. I think I got it too close to them at first (thinking it was final straw perhaps for AK Ryder). Thanks in advance for any input!

For you guys who sprout seedlings under flouros (new to me) - how close should I have the fixture to the seedlings when they're really young like this? I'm always hearing that you can get them up nice and close, but not sure on the little ladies. I think I got it too close to them at first (thinking it was final straw perhaps for AK Ryder). Thanks in advance for any input!

Morning bro! I hope you can find a great nug for the contest she deserves to get shown off again :thumb:

I put the light with reflector about 3-4" from the sprout, you could probably go lower but that works fine for me. Looking forward to seeing some pics, those autos are growing fools :tokin:

Morning bro! I hope you can find a great nug for the contest she deserves to get shown off again :thumb:

I put the light with reflector about 3-4" from the sprout, you could probably go lower but that works fine for me. Looking forward to seeing some pics, those autos are growing fools :tokin:

Thanks Blue, you 'da man. Really appreciate the insight and kind words. Speaking of nugs, check out my next post... :)

Okay, final numbers for my last harvest. They were pretty disappointing compared to my last couple of harvests, but (shrug) whatcha gonna do! :)

Blueberry was a total of 1.79z, and The Missy came in at 2.68z. My last grow, I had a Paradise Magic Bud that was just over 5z on it's own (grown in my small box!!) I think I was getting a bit cocky and could expect to do that or better each time. I'm loving how both of these vape, and they are hella strong potent, so it's all good!

Yummmmmmy....
jars_bb_missy_may_11.jpg

Here's one of the Blueberry jars (there were 2 but 1 is in cold storage):
bb_jar.jpg

Here's a Missy bud:
missy_bud_2.jpg

Some Blueberry bud shots:
bb_bud_5.jpg

bb_bud4.jpg

Okay, next post I'm going to put up a few pics that I'd really appreciate feedback on. I need 2 photos to use for Nug of the Month, and I really want to know which ones you guys think are best suited. Please weigh in with your thoughts. Thanks Guys for all of your support!

Thats nice lookin, very nice lookin indeed Brother :goodjob:
p.s. Im using flouros too for seedlings n clones, would say keep them as close as you can without touching the lamps, the heat they give of is minimal i think...lookin fwd to your next turn out Dude

Here are the pictures I want to consider for Nug of the Month (NOTM). Please let me know which 2 you think are best for this and/or if you think they have any sort of real chance. REALLY appreciate it!!

Picture #1
bb_bud_7.jpg

Picture #2
bb_bud21.jpg

Picture #3
bb_bud_4.jpg

Picture #4
bb_bud_5.jpg

Picture #5
bb_bud31.jpg

Picture #6
bb_bud4.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts - you guys rock! :thumb:

I have to say congrats on the harvest weights, a hair under 4.5ozs from two plants sounds awesome to me and they looks great! :thumb:

As far as the pics I like #1 and #5. :yummy:

Seems we have the same granite, Black Galaxy if my mind serves me correctly. I knew a few granite guys that would toss out sink cut-outs or tile cuts so they gave me a bunch. I ended up making a bunch of coaster sets and cutting boards for the family one broke-a$$ Xmas :).

I think those shots look great, good luck in the contest my man!

Back
Top Bottom