X Marks the Spot - XLR8's Big Bang Auto Hydro Grow 2011

Hi xlr8. :ganjamon:

Buddy, you cut that just right for the tent to just fit, well done. That's a nice wing too. You'll probably get a bit more coverage than I will with my standard light fixture. How high up will you place the oscillating fans? The reason I ask is that I'm afraid mine will blow my new little plants away if I put the fan on low speed. Once they are larger I know the fans will be used for air passing under the foliage. I just realized that my airpots will be about 1' tall, I will just aim them at the pots until the girls reach a bigger size. Guess I answered my own question. I think it's cool we will be starting our grows at the same time. :bravo:

Thanks OMM - yes, I cut it close! Measure twice cut once, was measure 100 times, cut once (sometimes twice). I have been building the room in my head for a while, and have had this tent in mind as I planned for most of that time. I couldn't have built the room any bigger, so I'm pretty glad the tent was sized right for the space (and man was it a challenge to set up due to how close I cut the fit!).

I'm thinking that I'm going to shoot the oscillating fans above the plants just under the lights to keep the heat from building up over the plants, and I might add one eventually for getting into the foliage. I'm thinking as long as the air is moving just below the light for now all will be well - plus the little buggers will be getting their silica so they should be pretty strong stemmed without much direct air on them. That's my plan, anyway!

Yes, I love that the Matterhorn is coming into being at the same time as the Mini Matterhorn I've got going. I'm so far ahead of schedule for my "summer" upgrades, that I'm completely unprepared for putting stuff in it. Wasn't going to grow again 'til fall (except the auto), now I've got the MiniMatterhorn rarin' to go, so I guess I should plant some seeds to fill it up and use it, no? :) Better go soak start some seeds and use it - no way I can let it sit empty!

I just want to add, that so far I'm a believer in the Adjust A Wing in the sense that it isn't an air-cooled reflector, but it doesn't seem to get very hot even getting close to it. It's supposed to run really cool even though it's not air-cooled, and it seems to deliver. This is NOT an Econo-wing by any means -- much nicer and much cooler. It also seems to cover pretty well, but I'm still wanting to add a second 400 with another Adjust a Wing in there sometime soon.

Here's a picture of the Flo n Gro I'm going to try to whip together this weekend. I'm only going with 6 sites I think, and will be making my own reservoir and McGyvering it a small amount to make it work for me. It's supposed to have a few improvements over the Ebb n Gro bucket system (full netpots inside, more reliable pumps, floats, switches, etc.) It also has larger 4 gallon pots. This is a very new product, so I've personally not seen anyone using it other than a couple of grow shops, but thought I'd give it a try

For starters, I'm going to add an airstone to the reservoir for additional aeration, and I'll need to make my own res somehow. I think I've got most of the parts I need now, but I'm sure I'll find something I forgot to get. I'm planning on putting the reservoir outside of the room to help keep it cooler and save space.

Thanks OMM - yes, I cut it close! Measure twice cut once, was measure 100 times, cut once (sometimes twice). I have been building the room in my head for a while, and have had this tent in mind as I planned for most of that time. I couldn't have built the room any bigger, so I'm pretty glad the tent was sized right for the space (and man was it a challenge to set up due to how close I cut the fit!).

I'm thinking that I'm going to shoot the oscillating fans above the plants just under the lights to keep the heat from building up over the plants, and I might add one eventually for getting into the foliage. I'm thinking as long as the air is moving just below the light for now all will be well - plus the little buggers will be getting their silica so they should be pretty strong stemmed without much direct air on them. That's my plan, anyway!

Yes, I love that the Matterhorn is coming into being at the same time as the Mini Matterhorn I've got going. I'm so far ahead of schedule for my "summer" upgrades, that I'm completely unprepared for putting stuff in it. Wasn't going to grow again 'til fall (except the auto), now I've got the MiniMatterhorn rarin' to go, so I guess I should plant some seeds to fill it up and use it, no? :) Better go soak start some seeds and use it - no way I can let it sit empty!

Twin Matterhorns .....love it. As I looked at the picture of your min-matter, I thought to myself...how did he do that? Putting one together in the middle of the room is bad enough.
Your a brave man!
I took the shields out of my fixtures (man, that glass is heavy) and will be doing the same thing you are for cooling. I haven't received my 6" aluminum ducting yet. Had to order it, couldn't find any here. When it gets here I will air cool both bulbs. Just in case, ya know.
Even though my girls are getting silica too, I still worry about them. Worry, Worry!

That Flo and Go looks and sounds great. Good luck building it. OMM is not ready to try that yet. :ganjamon:

First of all wouldn't wifey think it odd that you built it and are not using it ?
So, of course you have to give it a run. :ganjamon:
Sow the mighty seeds and get on with it. :yahoo:

wow, looking great. makes me want to get a tent and go camping too

ques on the Mothership from BC Northern Lights ...

what size fan in cfm (if you can find it) cools the 400 in there?

Wow! That's an awesome setup, I'm a bit jealous.... Ok I'm really jealous! :rofl:

Glad to see the young one is happy, and can't wait to see that tent filled up. That hydro setup is freaking cool. :thumb:

Great job!

Wow man! I am very impressed! I can't even begin to catch up with all the stuff you have got done in the last week or so. I will just say that I am all caught up now. :)
Great set up so far! I like the Mothership, the equiptment, and I think you are buildimg one hell of a high grade tent. I am not a hydro guy but that "Flo and Gro" looks pretty cool!
The little Big Bang is lookin' sweet and happy too. :)
As far as oscilating fans... I use the "Tower" fans... they work great and fit in a corner using up only 6"x6" of floor space. You can even lay them down if needed. I also find that if a fan is to stong I just put long strips of packing tape across areas and it cuts down the strength, works great on a tower fan or big round one. :)
Anyway... I will check in more often so I don't feel so behind :)

Jonny

I just want to add, that so far I'm a believer in the Adjust A Wing in the sense that it isn't an air-cooled reflector, but it doesn't seem to get very hot even getting close to it. It's supposed to run really cool even though it's not air-cooled, and it seems to deliver. This is NOT an Econo-wing by any means -- much nicer and much cooler. It also seems to cover pretty well, but I'm still wanting to add a second 400 with another Adjust a Wing in there sometime soon.

Awesome set-up Xlr8 you done good :cheer:

What you would estimate is the effective growing footprint for your light at 4' high with that hood? I'm really interested in it. Thanks my friend :peace:

Twin Matterhorns .....love it. As I looked at the picture of your min-matter, I thought to myself...how did he do that? Putting one together in the middle of the room is bad enough.
Your a brave man!
I took the shields out of my fixtures (man, that glass is heavy) and will be doing the same thing you are for cooling. I haven't received my 6" aluminum ducting yet. Had to order it, couldn't find any here. When it gets here I will air cool both bulbs. Just in case, ya know.
Even though my girls are getting silica too, I still worry about them. Worry, Worry!

That Flo and Go looks and sounds great. Good luck building it. OMM is not ready to try that yet. :ganjamon:

First of all wouldn't wifey think it odd that you built it and are not using it ?
So, of course you have to give it a run. :ganjamon:
Sow the mighty seeds and get on with it. :yahoo:

Aloha OMM! You should have seen me curse trying to figure out how to get it up, but I did figure out a system that I can use if I even need to do it again. :)

You are so right about sowing the seeds. I'm going to try to get some germ'ing tomorrow. I should have sooner, but this has come together much sooner than I thought, and I didn't want to have the pressure of having seeds needing to go somewhere weighing on me. Now of course, I regret that!

I have some challenges with storing things and space, :hmmmm: so I'm probably going to temporarily retire the Mothership tomorrow and move it... The added space I'll gain will make it worth it I think, and at a minimum I shouldn't be needing it for a few months.

P.S. I cracked up when I saw "Min - Matter" :rofl:

wow, looking great. makes me want to get a tent and go camping too

ques on the Mothership from BC Northern Lights ...

what size fan in cfm (if you can find it) cools the 400 in there?

Hey Joe! :thanks: brother!

I went and looked to see if I could find CFM ratings on the fans, and I didn't see them. They are Rodale Axial fans, but not sure what cfm. I tried finding info on them via google and no luck there either.

I can say that they do a very adequate job cooling the lights. No issues whatsoever with temps for me with this. 68-70f outside environment, 75-77f inside the Mothership (typical temps). You can touch the glass pretty comfortably even right under the bulb.

Sorry I couldn't find you a better answer.

Wow! That's an awesome setup, I'm a bit jealous.... Ok I'm really jealous! :rofl:

Glad to see the young one is happy, and can't wait to see that tent filled up. That hydro setup is freaking cool. :thumb:

Great job!

Thanks Dime. That new Flo n Gro thing is pretty cool, I think.

I also made a cool little DIY Waterfarm/DWC bucket for the Big Bang Auto so I can move the Mothership out of the way, it works awesome so far.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and 8" netpot lid from Hydro store, a $14 waterfarm plumbing kit, $10 air pump and a $2 airstone - works like a Waterfarm, but with a bubbling nutrient reservoir under the net pot. It's so cool! Total cost was about $32 (not including Hydroton). As far as I can tell, it should work great.

As far as the health of the BBang auto I've been vegging, it's still a bit iffy I'm thinking. I am really disappointed in the roots so far, and I'm worried that they're not doing well - possibly pythium. I am going to have to keep an eye on them, and possibly do a bit of research to see what I am up against here. The bright side is that I think the newer roots are looking pretty good. Not sure what happened.

Wow X! Awesome set up brother, you're moving along now! Csnt wait to see what you're able to pull off with "The mini Matter"!!

I love the name Mini Matter! Cracks me up. :)

:thanks: for the kind words, Quix.

Wow man! I am very impressed! I can't even begin to catch up with all the stuff you have got done in the last week or so. I will just say that I am all caught up now. :)
Great set up so far! I like the Mothership, the equiptment, and I think you are buildimg one hell of a high grade tent. I am not a hydro guy but that "Flo and Gro" looks pretty cool!
The little Big Bang is lookin' sweet and happy too. :)
As far as oscilating fans... I use the "Tower" fans... they work great and fit in a corner using up only 6"x6" of floor space. You can even lay them down if needed. I also find that if a fan is to stong I just put long strips of packing tape across areas and it cuts down the strength, works great on a tower fan or big round one. :)
Anyway... I will check in more often so I don't feel so behind :)

Jonny

:thanks: for the props Jonny, I appreciate that! Great idea on the tower fan, I think that's exactly what I should do. Perfect idea for my needs I think - I owe you one buddy!

Oh, and yes, I've been busy -- just anxious to get to busy growing instead of preparing to grow, but I'm having fun imagining the possibilities to come. :)

If I can get yields and buds like yours someday, I'll really be in business. That was one hell of a harvest you just had, Jonny! :bravo:

Looking good XL super jealous with that setup of yours bro lol...shes looking good tho as we all know seeds take forever lol especially if your an impatient person haha cant wait to see that hydro setup keep me posted for sure...

Thanks Crower, I'm pretty excited with how things are going. They sure do take forever! And I am extremely impatient, unfortunately. :)

Awesome set-up Xlr8 you done good :cheer:

What you would estimate is the effective growing footprint for your light at 4' high with that hood? I'm really interested in it. Thanks my friend :peace:

:thanks: Blue!

According to the manufacturer, you can cover an area approximately 4.'1" x 3'3" with a medium adjust a wing. They claim that a basic reflector with 400w would only cover 3'3" x 2'5" by comparison. I'd say that looks about right from what I can tell so far, but I'll get a better feel for it soon I'm sure.

Here's a good link to coverage for Adjust a Wings based on wattage - I thought this was helpful regardless of reflector you use... it's based in metric measurements, but I just googled a conversion calculator to get feet/inches:

Adjust-A-Wings :: Super-Spreader :: lighting for indoor plant growth

Hope that helps ~

In order to make space and move the Mothership out, I built this DIY bucket system tonight - (details in reply to Dime). For about $32 it does the job of a waterfarm with an airstone added to further aerate the nutrient solution and make it a sort of combo Water Farm/ DWC bucket. Pretty dang cool how well it seems to work - hopefully the plant will like it, too. ;)

diy_bucket.jpg

diy_bucket2.jpg

diy_bucket3.jpg

I clearly have too much going on in this picture - definitely a temp set-up! :
diy_bucket4.jpg

I've also made some progress on the Flo n Gro / DIY res project. I found a couple of pumps similar to what they use in the full Flo n Gro, and installed one of them into the controller. I also figured out the spacing and lines between the grow sites. Just need to finish my reservoir, and I can test run it to make sure it all works.

I bought a tall thin Rubbermaid recycling bin to use as a reservoir, and I like how little space it consumes. I also bought a larger Rubbermaid trash container that I think I'll use as a container for RO filtered water (hook it up to the RO unit with a float valve). At least that's the plan! :)

Hi Buddy.:)

That Mini-Matter is looking good inside, even though that's not the final set up.
What you've done with the Flo n Gro is amazing. I think you just made a blueprint for others to follow. ;)
Now that I'm inside, an indoor RO system is sounding better and better. Now to convince Jo. :Namaste:

Great job, XLR8!:bravo:

Lookig awesome and your plants will love the combo drip/DWC. I modifed my Waterfarms with airstones in the res, but it is much cheaper going the DIY route. I do know some growers that, once the roots hit the res turn the drip off entirely but I let it run 24x7 throughout the grow.

I can't wait to see those "bad boys" all filled up with big girls! :grinjoint:

Great work! :welldone:

Back
Top Bottom