300w LED - Sunset Kush

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Sunset Kush by Setting S

Can't wait to get my GLH panel in! Supposed to ship on Monday, fellas! Irish, great comments, hopefully I can help prove you right in my upcoming grow!

congrats!

are you going to journal your LED grow?

Some beautiful colas... This is without c02 right?

thank you grandaddie ;)

yep, no CO2. I can't run a sealed environment because my tents are set up in a corner of my garage, not in an enclosed grow room, so I guess I'd have to run sealed tents, which I'm not currently interested in doing.

My plants get plenty of fresh CO2 through good flow-through ventilation and frequent air exchange, so I'm fine with that, for now.

Also, I like to do these grows in a way that wouldn't be difficult for most folks to apply to their particular grow circumstances, so CO2 is out for that reason alone.

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Sunset Kush by Setting S

Awesome job SS. Well, I'm on my way. My girls are in their Hempy buckets. They are at their third set of leaves with the fourth starting to peek out. I guess I'm officially in veg state now. I am going to try something a little different though. Maybe someone has done it already but here it goes. I put hydrotone at the bottom of the buckets up to the level of the drain hole. I also put a solid coat of hydrotone on the surface. I'm wondering if this will help with water retention. The bottom layer keeps the perlite from draining through the hole since I was in a rush and got the small MG type. The top layer is going to hopefully delay evaporation and let the plants feed for a longer period of time. I know once the roots reach the reservoir it probably won't matter, but my girls went into the buckets with minimal root formation. I noticed they would green right up after watering and slowly turn light green after about 8 hrs. Today I put the top layer of the hydrotone on them and they kept their dark green color all day. :thumb: It's amazing how you can actually watch the plants take the nutrients in. About 5 min after watering, the main veins on the leaves start to turn dark green and after about 45 minutes the entire leaf was dark green. Yes, I was so enthralled by it that I sat there and watched.:slide:

step away from the bong ;)
^^^^ Not helping! :)

If that's the case, you've essentially gotten 6 grams per watt, by my calcs.
:yahoo::thedoubletake::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::adore::adore::adore::goof::goof::blunt::blunt:

That's incredible!
Even if you weigh out at 2 oz. that's still 3 grams per watt.

Bro....that's like breaking the light barrier. (well, almost)

Well I don't know what you've been smoking, Doc....but I want some! :rofl:

(No, seriously - I want some.) ;)

Perhaps you were seeing things through a Haze ...or was it all just a Dream...
--------------

Gosh Sun, those buds look absolutely horrible.

Lemme take some of those horrible buds off your hands for ya. :yummy:

I believe, or at least hope that there is some advantage with using the full line of H&G nutes, because I bought them. But... I fear that the other factors may preclude enjoying these potential pluses.
Air qualities: content both of CO2 and toxin removal, temperature, RH, and movement can conspire to negate petty advantages with fertilizers. Then there is light. It may be that much more intensity and spectrum quality is required to ramp up growth rate to the point where finer nutes can make their mark.

These two plants were pushed fairly hard. This light draws around 350w, and my tents are 7.3 sq ft, so 48w per sq ft, but with only two plants in the tent, I'm able to position them in the center of the tent and directly under the light, so while more intensity might be beneficial, I don't think the ladies have been slackin'. I know what you're saying, though, but again, if the gains weren't *significant*, I'd opt for decreased labor and time.

Fine tuning every facet may yield measurable results, but at what cost? Money may not the best benchmark IMO. Bud prices at the Co-op belittle even the cost of my full line-up of fancy bottles of fine brine(salts + water). There is use of space and utility demands that weigh differently to each grower. Capital demands are also of variable significance. Then there is time. This is the 'gotcha' factor: How much time does one have?

There's things I enjoy doing with my time, and things I don't. Juggling bottles and mixing nutes is a pain and takes time. I can afford to use something like FF, which I like, and which isn't ridiculously expensive, so for me it's not so much the cost savings, but the labor and time.

Also, it seems like my tap water works fine with CRF's, so that saves me even more work and time.

Can one buy time with technology? Yes
Can technology ease demands on utilities? Yes
How about real estate? Case is not yet made IMO.
Are there growers so expert that every little advantage is measured in results? Yes?, but I don't know any of those.

we all have somewhat different needs from technology, but I daresay the majority of us don't have excess money or time

So, LEDs look a lot better to me, and I'll definitely run a grow using just OC.

They look a lot better to me too, and I'm a skeptical bastard ;).

Looking forward to your OC solo grow!

^^^^ Not helping! :)

Well I don't know what you've been smoking, Doc....but I want some! :rofl:

(No, seriously - I want some.) ;)

Perhaps you were seeing things through a Haze ...or was it all just a Dream--------------

LOL! I didn't even know I was stoned when I wrote that. This morning I looked at it.....6 grams per watt! :rofl2:

Yikes.....

I was smoking the stuff I grew last time around that I call an "heirloom Sativa." It came from a Skunk/Sour Diesel cross, but the plant looked a lot like Dr. Grinspoon, from Barney's farm. Old world sativa for sure.

Wide awake, lots of energy, optimism, happiness.....great smoke! Unless you need your brain for something.

I have been looking at that Dr. Grinspoon greatly, Doc. What you think about that plant? Be good breeding genes to incorporate into my mandala grow eh?

:goodjob: Love this thread guys...Y'all Rock!

-Go

I have been looking at that Dr. Grinspoon greatly, Doc. What you think about that plant? Be good breeding genes to incorporate into my mandala grow eh?

:goodjob: Love this thread guys...Y'all Rock!

-Go

Well, it's hard to tell from just the pics and descriptions on their website.....but it looks to be an old world, landrace Sativa of the highest order.

I'd LOVE to grow some! That's the kind of cerebral smoke I prefer....although I think it has a much greater effect on my cognitive abilities than it appears to, judging by my math on this thread.

Awesome job SS. Well, I'm on my way. My girls are in their Hempy buckets. They are at their third set of leaves with the fourth starting to peek out. I guess I'm officially in veg state now. I am going to try something a little different though. Maybe someone has done it already but here it goes. I put hydrotone at the bottom of the buckets up to the level of the drain hole. I also put a solid coat of hydrotone on the surface. I'm wondering if this will help with water retention. The bottom layer keeps the perlite from draining through the hole since I was in a rush and got the small MG type. The top layer is going to hopefully delay evaporation and let the plants feed for a longer period of time. I know once the roots reach the reservoir it probably won't matter, but my girls went into the buckets with minimal root formation. I noticed they would green right up after watering and slowly turn light green after about 8 hrs. Today I put the top layer of the hydrotone on them and they kept their dark green color all day. :thumb: It's amazing how you can actually watch the plants take the nutrients in. About 5 min after watering, the main veins on the leaves start to turn dark green and after about 45 minutes the entire leaf was dark green. Yes, I was so enthralled by it that I sat there and watched.:slide:

High molotov, hope you're having a green weekend ;).

I'll be using hydroton or Perlite in the bottom of my hempy buckets on my next grow because I'll be using pure coco above that, and apparently it drains better that way, but I've read of several growers using it that way with other media also and it works well.

The thin layer of hydroton on top has several benefits for me. It seems to slow evaporation, so watering frequency is reduced somewhat, it's heavier than most other soilless media, so it keeps things in the pot/bucket when you water, and most importantly, it allows the roots of the plant to more effectively use the available volume of the medium, as they can fill in the upper part of the bucket pretty much up to that layer of pebbles.

I like hydro. I've too sat there and watched plants react and respond in real-time. You see things start happening in just a few minutes.

The downside being that bad things happen just as quickly as good things, but I'd still rather have the much faster response and degree of control that hydro provides.

Not at all done with soil, however, as I find growing in soil very enjoyable also.

Funny thing about these plants we grow, they will only teach those who show interest in observing them.

:goodjob:

GOOD GENES+GOOD CARE=GOOD RESULTS! All of the tweeking and tuning in the world can't compensate for inferior genetics and substandard care.

Proselytizing the truth again, eh b? Now, I thought we'd talked about this...

(You've got beautiful plants, BTW)

Highest harvest index [dried bud/total above-ground wet biomass] in the shortest number of days produces the most bud/room/day. They [NASA] found that the veg time and that dwarf cultivars were the two most important factors. This is achieved using big-leaved dwarf cultivars vegged for the minimum time necessary to produce the highest Harvest Index, PERIOD! Think about it; we don't smoke stix, I only want to grow enough lumber and solar panels to support my Big Fat Sugary Buds!

^^+1. And if current legislative plant limits and mandatory minimum sentences were no longer an issue, a lot more people would probably (or rather, might) be growing like this.

Give someone a multi-shelf setup with genetics conducive to generating a single cola, and you can guarantee they'll be producing more usable biomass per unit time over the same linear floor space than someone growing trees. (How long were those plants in veg, exactly, Mr. Tree Grower?)

Something LEDs could handle very well, in fact. Almost as if they were born (or rather, could be designed) to do just that:

STR_1.jpg

STR_2.jpg

It'd probably be best if most of today's manufacturers didn't stick them all in a small hot puck and end up reproducing many of the inefficiencies inherent in today's point source lighting systems (like HIDs), though. Too bad it takes money to do most things properly when engineering for truly effective products...

----

It also comes down to convenience and labor per m^2. Question: Which is easier for the gardener - running 15-16 trees in a Waterfarm system, or hundreds of clones in Ebb and Flow tables (or w/drip irrigation)?

Exactly.

Also - 1) Straight from seed - (either bought (expensive) or self-produced (more labor-intensive)), or 2) Mothers/clone rooms? What is the price of having genetic variation vs. a known consistency in the overall harvest index? And, how much space does one have in their garden for all of the requisite steps?

Be nice if that wasn't an issue anymore. Go vote Yes on Prop 19 in November. An incremental step in the right direction is better than no step at all.

The following is kinda technical, check out The Law of Tolerance, dose/response curve, limiting reagents, CELSS, etc. Nutrient Uptake (Environmental Physiology)

Contrary to popular belief, eating two Thanksgiving dinners will not give you the extra energy to break the 100 Meter world record, just the opposite, it will slow you down.

Read it, thanks for the link. Just wish the copy was a little larger, my old eyes don't work the way they used to... Are those your notes in the text, or did you get your copy second-hand? Some funny stuff there. ;)

Got to the bottom of p. 7 (562), and wanted to continue reading--I have to see Figure 25-6! :popcorn:

By their definition, Human Beings are nigh-perfect examples of organisms that excel at luxury consumption of the available resources - leading towards lethal toxicity.
---

One o' these days, Mother Earth may just decide to do something about that.

-TL

:lot-o-toke:

What's your carbon filter and fan setup, followed by your personal recommendation, as we have the same size tent, SS.

Thanks

Nice stuff here....as usual!

Thanks Go!

Soler & Palau TDX-100 fans, and 4” HTG Supply Pure Flow 4 carbon filters.

These are 2-speed fans, and wired for the higher speed, they are working adequately in my climate, which is temperate in general, but can get below freezing for a few days in winter, and sometimes over 100 for a few days in the summer, but again, generally mild weather with daytime average around 70, and nighttime around 49.

With those temps, that setup works for a 400w HID, but only by using an air-cooled hood. In the winter months, I think I might be able to run a 400w HID sans glass, but not at this time of year.

I like my S&P fans. They're not quite as powerful as some other 4" exhaust fans, but their design produces more laminar airflow, which makes them very quiet and smooth, and if you set them up right, they get the job done with very low decibels. Even with both tents and my cab running, the three S&P fans don't make much noise. When I connect them to the ceiling vents going up into the attic, they're almost silent.

If you're in a hotter climate, the S&P's probably aren't the best choice, but if you live in a moderate clime, and you need a stealthy solution or just appreciate a quiet grow room like I do, they rock.

You do have to wire them with an AC cord, however, which isn't difficult, but I thought I'd mention it.

Another good line of fans are the Sunleaves Windtunnel series. They're more powerful than the S&P, in fact, the 4" is rated at 200cfm, which is almost double the S&P I'm using, but they're also smooth and quiet. I don't have any personal experience with the Sunleaves fans, but I've researched them quite a bit.

The HTG carbon filter is just your basic carbon filter. Things got too stinky on this grow and I probably need to change the carbon. I can't remember whether they have screws or rivets, but I'll just drill the rivets and replace them with self-tapping screws if they're riveted.

I set up an old Honeywell air filter in the garage that gets whatever odor the tent filters miss. It uses an activated carbon pre filter that works really well.

For DIY folks, this is the stuff:

Amazon: Honeywell 38002 Enviracare Universal Replacement Pre-Filter

1667446911123.png

I think I'm going to replace the HTG pre filters with a wrap of that and see how it works.

Another good line of fans are the Sunleaves Windtunnel series. They're more powerful than the S&P, in fact, the 4" is rated at 200cfm, which is almost double the S&P I'm using, but they're also smooth and quiet. I don't have any personal experience with the Sunleaves fans, but I've researched them quite a bit.

I've used the 4" sunleaves windtunnel series fan with my air cooled HPS setup.. Nice and quiet as you say and only 40w for 200cfm.. Perfict for a 400w HID setup IMO..

TL.

I like the desing of those lights. ive always wanted some like that.. i would do rows just like in those pics, its perfect. i am not a big fan of the square ones or ufo ones. the long ones give allot more options.

now on the S&P fans, their great. i have 3 of them, a 4" and two 6" ones. nice and quiet.. been threw my 100F+ temps and did fine.. but i do like those win tunnel ones allot. just never knew if they were quiet like their claimed, so i never bought one.. but soon i will.. i also like the one that AN made called the bad ass or something? lots of air movement and real low power. not sure if its out yet but their info on them.. but we all know AN jacks up their prices.. i want to get two 6" win-tunnels.

I've used the 4" sunleaves windtunnel series fan with my air cooled HPS setup.. Nice and quiet as you say and only 40w for 200cfm.. Perfict for a 400w HID setup IMO..

thanks man, i was gonna buy one of these a while ago but wasnt sure if they were that quiet? thanks for sharing this info:thumb:

Can this inline be used with a speed controler like the speedster? I was gonna get a s&p for my 2x2x5 tent but if this fan is quite and can be turned down I will get it

thanks man, i was gonna buy one of these a while ago but wasnt sure if they were that quiet? thanks for sharing this info:thumb:

Irish, Panasonic makes some very quiet in-line fans. I'm using a 240cmf 6" unit that draws 56w, and has a noise rating of 1.4 sones. It's hard to tell it's on :)

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom