42 Year Old Bag Seed!

Great post and thanks for your recipe. It's nice to see you using the Dept. of Ag for the testing. They do a really good job and the reports are usually very complete. I haven't used them for my grow but when I farmed I used them, which was about 30 years ago. Organic Buds, the price just went up. :thumb:

When I started this grow I sent samples or both my soil and of the tea that I would be using on the plants to the state Dept of Agriculture for testing. The first results showed that the soil was at a ph of 6.8 with N=3.0, P=1.3, K=1.44 and the tea was N=3.2, P=1.1, K=1.5 with PH at 6.77.

Today I got back the results that I sent them a couple of weeks ago. Soil was; Ph=6.83 with N=3.0, P=1.1, K=1.55, salts(I asked for testing)=.007/cubic yard(which they state was average for soil watered with ground water/well). Tea was N=3.0, P=1.22, K=1.7.

The reason I am posting this is that I have been wondering if I should do a flush due to salt buildup. This test sort of relieved the worries I was having because in the past I have had the plants go into shock after flushing and one of the things I wanted to eliminate was that shock and told them that when I sent in the samples for testing. Who ever did the test states on the comment section that "Your use of red worms in the soil and their castings have helped in maintaining a rich soil with balanced nutrient load, oxygen suppliment, microbe enrichment. Any salts build up have been decreased by normal watering with good draining in association with the interaction of the red worms maintaining a loose soil without compaction. Your nutrient suppliment is within the guidelines set by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture for use of food plants and comply with the guide lines for labeling as "Organicly Grown"." There ya go! Uncle Sam loves me!!!!:thumb:

My planting soil is as follows;
40% FF Ocean Forest
50% my own compost (made of fall leaves, mostly oak, maple, birch with a small part of cypress leaves. I use cypress to get a tannic, or high Nitrogen mix, Grass clippings(I do not use fertilizers and stuff on my yard!) food waste, and dryed hydrilla( I get the hydrilla from the lake and dry it on the grass before putting it in the compost.
5% Vermiculite
5% Perllite

to this I add a handful of red wiggler worms in a 4-5 gallon bucket. Have to toss in some banana peel and coffee and tea grounds every couple of weeks to keep the worms happy.

My tea is as follows;
in a 5 gallon bucket I put approximately 1/4 of the bucket of my compost. a handful of worm castings and fill the rest with water. I use a bubbler from a 100 gallon fish tank with a aquarium pump and let it roll over night. When good and dark I ladle off the top half of the tea and use that.
I usually get approximately 1.5 gallons of tea which I use for 3 waterings, using the tea every other watering.

I have also added FF Big Bloom every once in a while when I see that the plants need a boost(leaves curling). My Mom in law added Liptons Tea to Mini's and Ozzies watering and had some surprising results.

give your motherinlaw one and you take the rest:)
she may know stuff that we will never know.
and I think she does:)

When I started this grow I sent samples or both my soil and of the tea that I would be using on the plants to the state Dept of Agriculture for testing. The first results showed that the soil was at a ph of 6.8 with N=3.0, P=1.3, K=1.44 and the tea was N=3.2, P=1.1, K=1.5 with PH at 6.77.

Today I got back the results that I sent them a couple of weeks ago. Soil was; Ph=6.83 with N=3.0, P=1.1, K=1.55, salts(I asked for testing)=.007/cubic yard(which they state was average for soil watered with ground water/well). Tea was N=3.0, P=1.22, K=1.7.

The reason I am posting this is that I have been wondering if I should do a flush due to salt buildup. This test sort of relieved the worries I was having because in the past I have had the plants go into shock after flushing and one of the things I wanted to eliminate was that shock and told them that when I sent in the samples for testing. Who ever did the test states on the comment section that "Your use of red worms in the soil and their castings have helped in maintaining a rich soil with balanced nutrient load, oxygen suppliment, microbe enrichment. Any salts build up have been decreased by normal watering with good draining in association with the interaction of the red worms maintaining a loose soil without compaction. Your nutrient suppliment is within the guidelines set by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture for use of food plants and comply with the guide lines for labeling as "Organicly Grown"." There ya go! Uncle Sam loves me!!!!:thumb:

My planting soil is as follows;
40% FF Ocean Forest
50% my own compost (made of fall leaves, mostly oak, maple, birch with a small part of cypress leaves. I use cypress to get a tannic, or high Nitrogen mix, Grass clippings(I do not use fertilizers and stuff on my yard!) food waste, and dryed hydrilla( I get the hydrilla from the lake and dry it on the grass before putting it in the compost.
5% Vermiculite
5% Perllite

to this I add a handful of red wiggler worms in a 4-5 gallon bucket. Have to toss in some banana peel and coffee and tea grounds every couple of weeks to keep the worms happy.

My tea is as follows;
in a 5 gallon bucket I put approximately 1/4 of the bucket of my compost. a handful of worm castings and fill the rest with water. I use a bubbler from a 100 gallon fish tank with a aquarium pump and let it roll over night. When good and dark I ladle off the top half of the tea and use that.
I usually get approximately 1.5 gallons of tea which I use for 3 waterings, using the tea every other watering.

I have also added FF Big Bloom every once in a while when I see that the plants need a boost(leaves curling). My Mom in law added Liptons Tea to Mini's and Ozzies watering and had some surprising results.

You have USDA Organic medicine...I am impressed...I would keep that letter forever.

9/24/12 update

While waiting around for Harriet and Runt to get ready for harvest, for shytes and giggles I planted 2 more seeds and they popped today!!!

Harriet and Runt are getting real close. Harriets pistils are getting brown and Runts are turning golden. I can't see the trichomes well enough to see them so I will have to keep a close eye on the pistils.

DSC010834.JPG

DSC010823.JPG

DSC010803.JPG

Now to name the 2 newbies. frick and frack???? do and bee? Well any suggestions?

DSC010775.JPG

DSC010783.JPG

Fantastic OTD. To get a couple more to pop maybe one will be a male and this can continue on forever. Those buds are look really nice. It has to be getting a little exciting. around your place about now. keep it up.

I can see trichs in the second picture.:cheer:maybe another month and she will look like a yeti!
happy birthday to the little ones.
how about Marilyne and Jane:)

damm, otd, those old seeds r poppin' better than some fresh seeds i've bought! i used some old seeds, like that to cross on a newer strain & then back-crossed to get my own strain. it took forever.

Paw-paw, thanks for the comment. I followed a suggestion when I first started this grow about scuffing up the seeds and it really seemed to work. As for crossing strains, that is a bit beyond my experience for now.

Fish, I got the wife to check out the trichs with the microscope and shes telling me they are cloudy so I dont think it will be another month for Runt. Harriet maybe, wife says her trichs are clear and are showing on lower leaves.

I have been eyeballing a small nug on Runt for testing. I have a little voice in my head that is now screaming "Burn one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

Only you will be the judge of your grow:) I'am glad I was here for it so ENJOY!

Fantastic grow! This is infinitely times cool. I would love to get my hands on some of those old seeds. To smoke what is probably a pure untouched land race is just an awesome opportunity! can't wait for harvest and a smoke report! keep up the good work man. :thumb:

yeah, scuffing works wonders for fast-germing seeds of any kind. i use an emory board inside a matchbox, but u're way is just as good.

Fantastic grow! This is infinitely times cool. I would love to get my hands on some of those old seeds. To smoke what is probably a pure untouched land race is just an awesome opportunity! can't wait for harvest and a smoke report! keep up the good work man. :thumb:

That cannabis is definitely an old SE Asia land race strain and to let it die with those seeds is a shame. You need to continue to clone the females until you can find a worthy male (preferably another pure sativa, like a real Durban or an ancient Haze) to breed with. And then you need to keep clones of the original alive long enough to breed a male seedling of the Sativa x Bagseed mother back to the bagseed mothers again. Only then will you have enough of the Bagseed genetics alive in your seed stash (all F1 and F2/1 crosses) to re0create the strain based off your photos, smoke reports, grow journal notes etc. If you think this is too much for you, I urge you to find a breeder who is willing to do this. Not some kid at the co-op who "thinks" he can, you need an experienced breeder. These genetics are worth a lot to the Cannabis community and to keep such pure Sativa genetics alive would make a lot of us very happy. You obviously get to name the strain and who knows, you may see it in the Cannabis Cup someday.

Please people! Help me out here, oldrthandirt needs some encouragement at the least and some information from some breeders to keep these genetics alive, help him out :420:!

urmom, I said I was a bit inexperienced and I am with MJ but I have been a grower of award winning Lillies and roses for better than 30 years and this strain will not die. I have approximately 20 seeds left and with more education I will be breeding more. I originally hoped to get a male (and still do) from this breed but if I dont in the this next grow I will be doing a bunch of cloning. I have currently made the one plant I call Ozzie into a mother and will be making her a perpetual plant and using her for the clones. One of the reasons for this journal is to help document the grow and to learn, which I have a bunch. I thank you for your comments and value it very much.

As for Runt and Harriet, Harriet's pistils and Trichones are turning. The pistils are at about 30% turned and the Trichomes are turning cloudy so I wont be long before she is harvested. Runt is starting to turn. Her pistils are starting to turn golden(about 20%) and her trichomes are starting to get cloudy.

OTD it's good to hear you are almost ready to harvest. It will be fun to hear just what kind of high you will get from the different ladies. It sounds like you are more than qualified to be a breeder once you learn the idiosyncrasies of this wonderful herb. You are doing a great job and it's only beginning.

9/27/12 update

I dont know what is harder, resisting the temptation to harvest or resisting the temptation to just rub my face in the colas!!!! :party:

During my weekly box cleanout I have noticed a lot more leaves falling off the lower portion of the plants, especially Harriet. The farther along in the grow the more leaves just dry up and fall off. Runt is doing the same but not as many.

Doing a close inspection of these two plants I have observed, Harriet has a lot more trichomes than Runt and they are starting to cloud up. Though smaller nuggets Harriet has trichomes of every leaf that is near a nug and the number of nugs are really apparent now that some of the fan leaves are gone. Ballpark estimate, 50 nugs. The pistils are turning brown and about 50% have turned.

Runt, This is definitely a different strain of plant. It only ended up with about 7 nuggets but they are longer and fuller. A close inspection of Runt shows few trichomes but they are larger and all are near or in the nug. The pistils are turning a nice golden brown and about 30% have turned.

Harriet

DSC010854.JPG

DSC010843.JPG

DSC010883.JPG

Runt
DSC010864.JPG

DSC010875.JPG

Ozzie and Mini-monster
DSC010897.JPG

DSC010915.JPG

Rubbing your face in the colas just sounds like fun. I will have to do. :thumb: The ladies are looking good and i bet they are smelling nice. Runts buds are getting big and I'm sure they will satisfy.

Back
Top Bottom