420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By ProfessorFlora

Hey Prof interested in how coco is gonna do for ya ,,my experience of coco is when things go off track u can go down hill fast ,so I'm here to learn the coco way of the weed

Thanks for the info, Prof. What are the signs of heat stress that you saw?
It was light stress which caused them the problems. The signs were things like leaves curling at the edges, leaves yellowing, leaves starting to deform and slowed growth. Some of the leaves on one of the plants only grew as single fingered leaves that week. As soon as I turned the lights down the problems went away.
I'm with you on the GeoFlora. I'm looking forward to trying it but we'll see if it actually makes it here. If it doesn't get here then I'll just have to use MegaCrop, which is fine as well as I've had no issues with it.
I'm in the same boat as you. Did you get tracking with yours?
That sativa is a clone I took. Put her in a small pot to tame her height. Didn't really matter these dont need a lot of water or a lot of nutrients. She's in a seedling pot not much bigger than a solo cup and 3 feet tall.
I did something similar with a Thai landrace in a 1ltr pot last year. I flipped it to flower and she didn't like that much. She made it though after some nursing and a bigger pot.
Hey Prof interested in how coco is gonna do for ya ,,my experience of coco is when things go off track u can go down hill fast ,so I'm here to learn the coco way of the weed
Hey Freak. I'm not new to coco though I'm hardly a pro with the stuff. Last year I had one of my best grows using it and I really wanted to commit and go coco as I was so impressed. Since then it's been really hit and miss. I think most of the problems happen with introducing young plants and seedlings to larger pots though germination isn't as easy as it could be. Don't believe people who say that it's impossible to drown plants in coco. They couldn't be more wrong.
:passitleft: :passitleft: :passitleft:

It was light stress which caused them the problems. The signs were things like leaves curling at the edges, leaves yellowing, leaves starting to deform and slowed growth. Some of the leaves on one of the plants only grew as single fingered leaves that week. As soon as I turned the lights down the problems went away.

Thanks for the info, Prof. There's so much to learn about growing but people like you make it easy for me. :hug:

I'm in the same boat as you. Did you get tracking with yours?

I did get tracking and it says that it left San Francisco on Friday and it's in transit to its destination.

I'm more worried about the seeds. The tracking for them still shows that they're in Belgium and they've been there since Wednesday. :hmmmm:

Thanks for the info, Prof. There's so much to learn about growing but people like you make it easy for me. :hug:

I did get tracking and it says that it left San Francisco on Friday and it's in transit to its destination.

I'm more worried about the seeds. The tracking for them still shows that they're in Belgium and they've been there since Wednesday. :hmmmm:
My seeds stayed in Belgium for a few days before they left for the US so I wouldn't worry. They don't move on the weekend either.

Good updates Professor. They are looking splendid.

I just lost a seedling to lack of moisture caused by a climate phenomenon. Yeah...I'm going with that excuse and sticking to it! It absolutely was not me being negligent...
:eye-roll:

Hey 420. Well, it happened again. Last year around about the same time there was a little accident in which I killed all of my seedlings which where germinated in coco. They all broke ground but then after a couple of days, simply keel over and die. I believe it is called damping-off which happens when seedlings are over-watered or started in conditions which are too damp. I thought I was prepared for that this time and made sure that the medium wasn't too wet and that the temps and humidity were perfect. Still they dropped, all eight like little dominoes. What's anoying is that I've started several seeds in coco with success since then and up until now, mostly forgotten about last year's disaster. Oh well, we brush ourselves off and start again

Hey, Prof.

I've had great success using vermicompost to fend off the dreaded damping off disease. I put a little in a cup of non-chlorinated water and soak the seeds in the tea for a day or so before planting.

Then I use a similar splash of vermicompost tea to spray the top of the medium as the seedling pushes thru.

The goodies in the vermicompost fight off the pathogens that cause the damping off.

It's science! You can look it up. And pretty easy to do. I think you may have to use fresh castings, though. The dried version probably wouldn't work as well. I keep my own worms so always have some available.

Good luck with the grow!

Cheers.

Azi

Why thank you HG. I know what you mean and that's the great thing about this site. There are so many growers tackling the same situation but coming at it from many different angles. It's just about finding what works best for you and going from there.

I've seen that you're all good there now.
Good updates Professor. They are looking splendid.

I just lost a seedling to lack of moisture caused by a climate phenomenon. Yeah...I'm going with that excuse and sticking to it! It absolutely was not me being negligent...
:eye-roll:
Thanks BA. I'll drop an update shortly to show you all how we're progressing.

When you say "climate phenomenon" do you mean lightning? That would be the most epic way of losing a seedling ever.
Welcome aboard, Boss
Hey, Prof.

I've had great success using vermicompost to fend off the dreaded damping off disease. I put a little in a cup of non-chlorinated water and soak the seeds in the tea for a day or so before planting.

Then I use a similar splash of vermicompost tea to spray the top of the medium as the seedling pushes thru.

The goodies in the vermicompost fight off the pathogens that cause the damping off.

It's science! You can look it up. And pretty easy to do. I think you may have to use fresh castings, though. The dried version probably wouldn't work as well. I keep my own worms so always have some available.

Good luck with the grow!

Cheers.

Azi
Hey Azimuth. Thanks for the advice. I used to use worm castings all of the time when I started growing. I would buy them as an extra though so the cost was pretty high which was why I stopped. Didn't know about the gemination benefits though so thanks for that.
Having a nice worm bin is a dream of mine which has to stay in my head for now. The rest of the family are still not entirely happy with the composting I do so worm are out of the question for now. One day I'll sneak one in without anyone seeing. :passitleft:

Hey Azimuth. Thanks for the advice. I used to use worm castings all of the time when I started growing. I would buy them as an extra though so the cost was pretty high which was why I stopped. Didn't know about the gemination benefits though so thanks for that.
Having a nice worm bin is a dream of mine which has to stay in my head for now. The rest of the family are still not entirely happy with the composting I do so worm are out of the question for now. One day I'll sneak one in without anyone seeing.

I have mine in the basement in a series of 7gal (?) tubs that have vent holes in the sides and larger ones on the bottoms. I just stack them on top of each other. Works pretty well without much odor ever. Every once in a while I do get a bit which is why they probably should be out of the way. Especially if you live with others that don't share the same fascination with the process.

I harvest a bin every month or two for top dressing, worm teas, etc. I've used it for years and only get damping off when I've forgotten to use it. A while back I saw an interview with a professor of soil science or some such thing who went into great detail about the science behind it which just confirmed my experience over the years.

When you say "climate phenomenon" do you mean lightning? That would be the most epic way of losing a seedling ever.
Haaa haaa...yeah, that would indeed be epic! It was a failed attempt at being funny and pointing the fault at something else other than myself. I let it get too dry and it was entirely my fault.

I have mine in the basement in a series of 7gal (?) tubs that have vent holes in the sides and larger ones on the bottoms. I just stack them on top of each other. Works pretty well without much odor ever. Every once in a while I do get a bit which is why they probably should be out of the way. Especially if you live with others that don't share the same fascination with the process.

I harvest a bin every month or two for top dressing, worm teas, etc. I've used it for years and only get damping off when I've forgotten to use it. A while back I saw an interview with a professor of soil science or some such thing who went into great detail about the science behind it which just confirmed my experience over the years.
I love composting and really should have a worm bin. I find it fascinating but the family think it's disgusting lol.
Haaa haaa...yeah, that would indeed be epic! It was a failed attempt at being funny and pointing the fault at something else other than myself. I let it get too dry and it was entirely my fault.
It happens. At least you're in the more exclusive club. Most of the time it's over watering which causes problems for seedlings.

Hey 420. Apologies for the slightly later than planned update but you've not missed much. We will be moving ahead hopefully either today or tomorrow as I have some fresh coco being delivered and the @GeoFlora Nutrients have been delivered....
IMG_20210510_105921_copy_6000x4500.jpg

I have ordered some fresh coco as the stuff I am using at the moment has nutrients in it already. I have quite a lot of questions regarding using this stuff in coco coir but I think I will ask them as we go. First though, what pH should the coco be? Normally I run 5.5 but this has life in it so should I treat it as soil and aim for 6.5?
Anyway, the GeoFlora looks great. I opened the veg pack to check out the granules. Not as smelly as I was expecting. Also, no dust! Hooray! I'm looking forward to mixing this up.

The WSE GSC are both screaming to be transplanted. Not because they are out of room but because they drink up the pots too quickly. They are being bottom watered now as they keep drying out and it has caught me out a couple of times. They both seem ok though. #1 is a little smaller but has a nice appearance. She is also a better shade of green. 2# wants to take off. She is a little pale but is growing nicely.
I've been a little rough but hopefully they will soon be able to spread their roots and take off. Here we are on day 26 from seed....
DSC00283.JPG
DSC00281.JPG
DSC00282.JPG
DSC00279.JPG
DSC00280.JPG

Hey 420. Yesterday the new coco bricks arrived and I got to work setting up the plants in their larger pots. First we had to hydrate the media. I have used two 650g bricks per pot and I added 7lts of water to each bucket....

From this....

To this....

Next we need to add the life to the mostly inert coco media. I have looked over these packets and decided that we can split them between the two pots which work out at around ten gallons in volume....

I split them equally and mixed each pot separately. It would have made more sense to have mixed it all up together but I don't have the space or a large enough container to use indoors. The weather is terrible so I'm not going outside to do it either lol....

All mixed and ready....

Now it's time to save those two little ladies. While we are here I thought we'd best check out those roots to make sure that there is no rot. Those leaves look a bit suspect after all....

We are all good....

Much stronger than I thought they would be....

Welcome to your new home....

Girl Scout Cookies #1....

Girl Scout Cookies #2....

Happy growing everyone....

:passitleft:

Looks good, Prof. Hopefully, the new home will help them thrive.

Looks good, Prof. Hopefully, the new home will help them thrive.
Thanks HG. They aren't thriving just yet but I'm sure that they will burst into life any day now.
Hi Professor! :ciao: I was in the groovy little garden store today and saw this:
PXL_20210513_152654609.jpg

PXL_20210513_152700103.jpg

And I thought of you. It looks like it could be "educational" for the littles.... Your garden is looking marvelous! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks Boo. I want it lol. The kids would love it and I could see us getting plenty of entertainment from it. Shame about the rest of the family who would probably try to stick me in there.
Edit: Should probably put this in your other grow journal... :cheesygrinsmiley:
You are forgiven. Worms are great and get a free pass.
OoooOooo... I'm telling! @BooWho2 is in trouble!
In trouble for not sending me the indoor worm farm!
Sshhhhhh….I think I saved myself! :high-five:
Edit:. Apparently not. Sorry Prof, I was so excited to share the Urban Worm farm with you that I put it in your sponsored journal...:sorry:
Doubly forgiveness forevers!
I think sharing a new worm farm in any journal should be exempted from any rules because worm poo is amazeballs!
Exactly! Though I would have gone with "worm poo is turdrific"
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom