A Thread For Trim

George Growstanza

Greetings Grow Gang!

I have a few questions regarding trim! I'm curious as to what the folks around here like to do with it. I'm quickly coming up on my very first harvest and I want to utilize as much of my plants as possible.

How much actual plant matter do you keep and use vs. how much gets tossed in the compost?

Can even the big fan leaves with no visible trichromes be used for smoking/edibles?

Does anyone here trim their plants completely while they're still growing?

Do you leave fan leaves with trichomes on the buds for smoking, or remove them with the rest?

Do you use the same method of drying and curing trim as you do for buds?

I hope there isn't already a thread dedicated to this, but if so, someone please direct me to it. I'm fairly new around here!

Happy growing!

George

Hi George and welcome to the Forum.

I generally strip some my fan leaves off during the grow to Aid in light penetration.
The small sugar leaves that you see Laden with trichomes around your buds should only be trimmed off with a pair of scissors when you are harvesting. I saved those in a ziplock bag separately and make hash from them using the dry ice method.
The fan leaves can be used for food or salads Etc but I wouldn't count on them for anything other than an interesting taste in your salad , or greens in your smoothies LOL.

Hi George and welcome to the Forum.

I generally strip some my fan leaves off during the grow to Aid in light penetration.
The small sugar leaves that you see Laden with trichomes around your buds should only be trimmed off with a pair of scissors when you are harvesting. I saved those in a ziplock bag separately and make hash from them using the dry ice method.
The fan leaves can be used for food or salads Etc but I wouldn't count on them for anything other than an interesting taste in your salad , or greens in your smoothies LOL.
Yeah I did quite a bit of defoliating during the vegetative stage to open things up a bit. Do you dry the sugar leaves before ziplocking them or do you make the hash right away while they're fresh?

Apparently its not far off the same goodness that comes from spinach. Folic acid and all that jazz lol.

Some folks are growing in different sizes and scales then others so the responses here should be interesting.

I remove big fans at harvest and they go to my compost bin. As does anything taken off before that.

I typically whole hang or hang large branches only. Once dried, whatever leaves and trim are left go in a five gallon bucket.

Every once in a while I get around to pressing or blasting what's in the bucket.

I use bubble bags and make bubble hash outta my trim but ill be giving dry ice extraction a try through the bubble bags this go round

I'm quite drawn to the idea of making dry ice hash. Seems like a really cool and effective way to do it, and I've read that it isn't all that hard to obtain dry ice.

I'm quite drawn to the idea of making dry ice hash. Seems like a really cool and effective way to do it, and I've read that it isn't all that hard to obtain dry ice.
Its not that hard. In the states you can get it in supermarkets n stuff. Over here you have to order it or some fishmongers and butchers may have some but its whether or not they wanna sell it lol

I don't toss anything but the stems and roots. Leaves, trim, minibuds, etc, get ground into cooking herbs or made into capsules, or sorta crushed for tinctures. I even mix it with crunchy peanut butter! Anything to keep my intake of cannabis steady for preventative purposes.

BTW, I also save the mash left over from decanting tinctures and dry that to sprinkle on my morning scrambled eggs (2 generous pinches). The rum I use as a carrier, adds a touch of flavor, and there is no bitter cannabis taste.

I don't toss anything but the stems and roots. Leaves, trim, minibuds, etc, get ground into cooking herbs or made into capsules, or sorta crushed for tinctures. I even mix it with crunchy peanut butter! Anything to keep my intake of cannabis steady for preventative purposes.

BTW, I also save the mash left over from decanting tinctures and dry that to sprinkle on my morning scrambled eggs (2 generous pinches). The rum I use as a carrier, adds a touch of flavor, and there is no bitter cannabis taste.
That's what I'm talking about! Use it all if you can!

Good timing on this thread. I will be harvesting this weekend and was wondering about using up my trim as well. I have an instant pot... there must be something the magical instant pot can do? LOL.

I keep 90% of my waste.

Fan leaves for Smoothie type drinks.

Trip with high trichome production for food.

Leaves with 10-20% trichome production gets made for pet sources.

Branches the dog tends to play with.

Roots, im in the middle of reading up on boiling them :nomo:.

Soil/coco reuse :).

Pretty much nothing goes to waste in my grows :).

Back
Top Bottom