Blue Mystic Autos + LEDs + Bubbles

Looking awsome endive.Is this really your first hydro:)

Yes, this is my first hydro grow. I went with the bubble kit, and while yes, I could have built-it-myself for less, the truth is, no not really. I cannot engineer very well, but once I see and understand, I can apply.

Basically I paid for peace of mind and the advantage was I followed the directions that came with it, and it was pretty darn easy.

Learn, adapt, and improve.

Hi fellow 420ers!

Life has thrown some challenges into the mix offer the past few weeks, so this past weekend, after a close inspection of trichomes the decision was made to chop. (I heeded your words as long as possible, Bluedog! :thumb:)

Harvest Morning...
DSC03487-harvestday.jpg

Low-Right has really begun to smell. Not just in the mornings, but reeking all day and night too. Her trichs were a mix of milky, dotted with amber & clears.
DSC03497-LR.jpg

Top-Left's trichs were strangely clear till the last two days or so, then bam! I would liked to have let her go a little bit longer as I wanted an amber heavy effect, but decisions had to be made and testing shows she couch-locks very well as is. :roorrip:
DSC03488frosted.jpg

A down & dirty cut (almost whole stocks & branches), rough manicure of all non sugar-leaf, then hung to dry at 75ºF, 58% RH.

I apologize for not photo-documenting the harvest or manicuring, but life was crazy, and my hands were really, really sticky. Too sticky to touch the camera, then a fellow friend and care-giver gave me her tip of using non-latex gloves. When done, put the gloves in the freezer and in a few hours the accumulated resins flake off the glove material.

Between Monday & Tuesday the buds were removed from the hangers, trimmed proper (well, the way I like it anyway), and packed into jars to equalize moisture content.

DSC03502-harvest1.jpg

Top-Left: 70+ grams prime in cure, with an additional 10g of small (fingertip size), fluffier buds that are so resiny, they were saved from the shake bag and currently line the bottom of the med box.

Low-Right: 34 grams of amazing stuff curing. She has a lower calyx to leaf ratio than any of her siblings, but is so sticky I didn't mind. Loses bag appeal to some as it is a bit leafy, but the powdery residue or trichomes collecting at the bottom of the jar is testimony to her true essence. Between the scissors, fingertips, pans, screens & jar bottoms we managed to scrape, rub & press just over .5g of wicked-awesome hash off her alone.

I lost track of which buds of Low-Right had seeds. I did stumble across two gorgeous little buggers, that weren't the ones I'd been tracking, so "Bonus Prizes!"

My fave blanket seemed the perfect backdrop...
DSC03505-harvest2.jpg

I love my stainless jar because it makes for cool pics! (and I can drop it with out shattering)
DSC03506-harvest.jpg

In terms of a better dry/cure than the bubblelicious grow, these finished flowers are leaps ahead in quality. I took a page or two from others on the subject of curing and adapted my process to it.

If you haven't seen Irish Boy's tips for curing, I suggest it! Article One | Article Two

;)

Well, I'll offer up early smoke reports and the official weights in coming days.

I really would like to thank you all! Without the tips, knowledge and support offered up from you all, I'd still be in the stone-age regarding growing technology. If anyone wants to know more about stuff I used in the grow(s), feel free to give me shout! Cameras, nutrients, any questions about the LED grow lights that I can't answer it Ben at Hydroponics Hut can! Same for the Bubble/DWC hydro set-up , If I don't know the answer, I'm sure I know someone who does!

Over the next week, my GF and I are adding a new, slightly larger tent and getting ready for the next grow: 2 - Sativa Dominant Blackberry from seed, a tent & some LEDs (260watts worth maybe?)...

Congrats on a great and dank grow & harvest, Endive! Very nicely done! :bravo:

If I read that right, that's almost 1/4 lb. of very fine looking bud from TWO plants using LED!

Just a great job!

What was your total grow space in square feet (or dimensions of your cab)?

I've got two plants flowering in a 2'x2' space now and will be happy if I do 1/2 as well!

:welldone:

Congrats on a great and dank grow & harvest, Endive! Very nicely done! :bravo:

If I read that right, that's almost 1/4 lb. of very fine looking bud from TWO plants using LED!

Just a great job!

What was your total grow space in square feet (or dimensions of your cab)?

I've got two plants flowering in a 2'x2' space now and will be happy if I do 1/2 as well!

:welldone:

Thanks Mr. Krip,

I think your ladies are well on the way to pleasantly surprising you! Start training the canopy in that flower chamber, get a mini sea o' green going.

Floor space here is almost 6 sq ft at 36" x 20", I'm looking forward to getting a true 4' x 2' soon!

Early on, I got over excited when I did a rough gram/watt calculation. At 180 watts
I was pushing well past the .5g per watt, then I remembered I had the additional 90w which puts us at 270 watts. Call it 110-130 grams divided into 270 watts and now I'm just below the .5 g/watt.

To be fair, the 90w is only good for 1sq ft., or 1 small plant. It's light focus is at 60º so it's a narrow but intense footprint.

Looking at the estimated yield of 350-400g per 1 sq. meter, I'm pretty satisfied with what we did. We hit nearly 1/3 of the estimate at nearly 1/3 the space.

I know for certain yield could easily have been increased by:

• Inducing bloom slightly sooner. They were too big for the space.
  • Better canopy management (LST, training, cropping)
  • Moving the lights throughout the day. Growing in buckets, it's easy to spin plants and move them for maximum lighting. In hydro, this was a challenge.
  • Position the light closer to the canopy in mid to late bloom. We stayed well above 18" for a long period, but wanted to see how the lamp would perform at maximum height. I'd say fairly well!

I must remember my mistakes or I'm doomed to repeat them... ;)

Nice harvest man, beautiful buds you got there. Can't think of any questions now, but I'm sure i'll be back, can't wait to watch your blackberry grow, are you using nirvana seeds for that one?

Thank you! Yes, I still have a small trove of goodies from Nirvana. People often criticize the quality of their genetics, but for the price, the quality of plants grown have been well worth it.

I'm really excited about the Blackberry, I've seen some stellar BB grows with only CFLs, so I think LEDs and LST will work just fine.

Thanks Mr. Krip,

I think your ladies are well on the way to pleasantly surprising you! Start training the canopy in that flower chamber, get a mini sea o' green going.

Floor space here is almost 6 sq ft at 36" x 20", I'm looking forward to getting a true 4' x 2' soon!

Early on, I got over excited when I did a rough gram/watt calculation. At 180 watts
I was pushing well past the .5g per watt, then I remembered I had the additional 90w which puts us at 270 watts. Call it 110-130 grams divided into 270 watts and now I'm just below the .5 g/watt.

To be fair, the 90w is only good for 1sq ft., or 1 small plant. It's light focus is at 60º so it's a narrow but intense footprint.

Looking at the estimated yield of 350-400g per 1 sq. meter, I'm pretty satisfied with what we did. We hit nearly 1/3 of the estimate at nearly 1/3 the space.

I know for certain yield could easily have been increased by:

• Inducing bloom slightly sooner. They were too big for the space.
  • Better canopy management (LST, training, cropping)
  • Moving the lights throughout the day. Growing in buckets, it's easy to spin plants and move them for maximum lighting. In hydro, this was a challenge.
  • Position the light closer to the canopy in mid to late bloom. We stayed well above 18" for a long period, but wanted to see how the lamp would perform at maximum height. I'd say fairly well!

I must remember my mistakes or I'm doomed to repeat them... ;)

I've trained them like you wouldn't believe! Started with LST and been supercropping like a madman because I'm running out of height, and I'm less than 2 weeks into flower. The canopy is already full taking up about all the horizontal space and I can only raise the light about another inch before I need to take it off the yo-yo hanger to buy another 6". I just need to make sure I can control vertical growth until harvest, but assuming I can keep them healthy, I'm making full use of the available space! :)

But, once again I need to give you some props...For a first grow using LEDs, you definately had some stellar results!

Some of the criticism aimed at Nirvana's genetics is due to their low prices.

We tend to believe that stuff has to be expensive to be good, but that's not *always* the case.

Great harvest endive!

I can only hope that my first active hydro grow will go as well as yours did ;)

:thumb:

Some of the criticism aimed at Nirvana's genetics is due to their low prices.

We tend to believe that stuff has to be expensive to be good, but that's not *always* the case.

Great harvest endive!

I can only hope that my first active hydro grow will go as well as yours did ;)

:thumb:

What we do value, says something about us as a society. Sometimes I force myself to stop and appreciate nature, while it's still free.

I look forward to following along on your hydro trek and seeing how far you'll be pushing the limits! :yummy:

Congrats on your harvest endive!

Nothing like :tokin: your own!

Curing... hoping... praying...

It has the effect, I really want to work on producing connoisseur quality taste as well.

The puff buds I've been sampling are plenty powerful. They burn flavorless, but not harsh at all and occasionally you get a sweet one, so I'm hoping a 3 to 4 week cure will really help the bigger buds in jars to shine.

Mucho mahalo BlueDog, for words of encouragement and reason!

Nice chop, endive. They'll only get better over the next few weeks of cure.:thumb:

Yeah a scrog is worth trying, specially if you LST heavily anyway.

Happy tokin'.:goodjob:

Damn Buddy Nice haul and another solid grow. I know I am late on this one but you did a great job. I am looking forward to more grows from you, keep up the good work man.:popcorn: Come check out my new grow if you havnt got a chance.Anomoly's Big Bud 800 Watt LED/CFL Grow

Nice chop, endive. They'll only get better over the next few weeks of cure.:thumb:
Yeah a scrog is worth trying, specially if you LST heavily anyway.

Happy tokin'.:goodjob:

Thanks Mmmmick! Now that mine are all down and in jars, I need to catch up on your harvest, as well as a few others too.

Got two little blackberry seedlings headed into week 2. Not too sure on what to expect in the way of their growth, other than they are a "medium" sized plant, and supposedly sativa dominant. Your scrog info will be most helpful.

Back
Top Bottom