Cynical Roots First Indoor Grow with T5 Lighting Bag Seed & OG Kush

Re: Cynical Roots First indoor Grow with T5 Lighting Bag Seed and OG Kush

how much water would you say you use per pot? do you water until it heavily runs out the bottom, or until it just barely drips out? and how good of drainage does your soil have? does it kind of stay pooled at the top of the pot for a while or does it seep right into the soil within a few seconds?

how much water would you say you use per pot? do you water until it heavily runs out the bottom, or until it just barely drips out? and how good of drainage does your soil have? does it kind of stay pooled at the top of the pot for a while or does it seep right into the soil within a few seconds?

I water about every 8 days or until it is light. I water until the pot is heavy and runoff will drip out for a couple mins. It usually takes more than 1.5 gallon each. The soil has very good drainage, it isnt muddy at all and runs right through.

im using 1.2 gallon pots, and i only use about 2-4 of the red solo cups of water per plant, so that my soil dries out quickly, i water about twice a week. it seems like your pots are around the size of mine so watering that much "could" have something to do with it, but i really dont know im just throwing out ideas. im also growing in a peat based mix so i thinks its a little different., but still that much water seems like to much you want your soil to dry out more often. i hope this helps

also, that one pic up there im pretty sure is some balls watch it close until your sure and then pull it. should only take about 24hrs before you know for sure

I dont really want to water less or i dont get runoff at all. I think the soil retains much more than the peat mix. It really doesnt matter if you use a little too much water as long as you arent waterering too often, at least thats what i have read. You want to fully saturate your soil and let it dry pretty well before your next watering. Im using 2.5 gal pots and they hold all the water i put in. I think they take a while to drain because my temps dont get very high so there isnt much evaporation.

I have a good theory of what went wrong. When the fungus nats were out of control, the larvae was chewing up my roots. I could count 20 to 30 nats everytime i opened the door. But because i didnt know they could cause damage at the time, i added nutes thinking they were defficient. They very well could have been, i think if someone was chewing on my roots, i would also have a harder time taking nutes in. So when i added nutes, the nat problem was fixed too (havnt seen any since) and i think they were still feeding off the MG soil.

So now when i inspect them, i do not see any new signs of burn. Only a few leaves per plant took the most damage and the rest of the leaves look pretty healthy although some are almost black from nitrogen toxicity. All in all, i think they are going to quickly recover, they seem to be pretty hardy. I have learned not to panic at the first sign of discoloration on a leaf and nuke it with ferts. Next time i will slow down and assess the situation and see what the plant needs. I think i am also going to go very light on the nutes during flower too, unless the plants tell me something different. Thanks for all the advice, tomorrows update will be happier knowing the new growth is looking good!

Whats up CynicalRoots,

A few leaves look damaged, but overall I think they look good. IMO watering is very important, and giving a heavy water with long wait periods leads to stagnate water in the pot, which than leads to bugs/fungus. Grown2smoke has the right idea. Water with 1 quart to start or so, in the begging once every other day. When they grow up of course as needed to keep a moist but able to dry fast environment. When you flush it leaves all that water in the soil sitting there for days, than stress the plant by super dry soil until another drink. (seems rough to me). Be like giving you 1 gallon of water for 1 week.. versus 5 cups a day. of course it is good to do "flushings" but that's more towards the flowering stage. My philosophy on nutrients is as little as possible and your right don't over think this or rush into things. :) glad to give as much as I can on growing.....and not just marijuana.

Thanks for popping in fatalpsycho. Good advice from all of you, the only thing that concerns me is how i would know if all the soil in the pot would recieve water. Im all for trying new things but if i add 1/4 gallon of water, isnt there a possibility that a lot of the soil and roots might not even get the water? I would think that if i was watering every couple days with just a little water, the bottom portion of roots would not get any. The top of the soil would be moist and the bottom dry. The botom roots may dry up and then the plant would only be utilizing half the container.

I have no clue if that is correct, just what i think could happen. None of my plants are showing signs of overwatering or bugs anymore, and while i do appreciate the advice, im a little hesitant on changing something that already works. Do you think my method needs to be changed or is it just a possibility of what might have been wrong with my plants? They are actually bouncing back now that i have cut off all nutrients again. All the new growth and leaves that weren't effected remain healthy.

Thanks for popping in fatalpsycho. Good advice from all of you, the only thing that concerns me is how i would know if all the soil in the pot would recieve water. Im all for trying new things but if i add 1/4 gallon of water, isnt there a possibility that a lot of the soil and roots might not even get the water? I would think that if i was watering every couple days with just a little water, the bottom portion of roots would not get any. The top of the soil would be moist and the bottom dry. The botom roots may dry up and then the plant would only be utilizing half the container.

I have no clue if that is correct, just what i think could happen. None of my plants are showing signs of overwatering or bugs anymore, and while i do appreciate the advice, im a little hesitant on changing something that already works. Do you think my method needs to be changed or is it just a possibility of what might have been wrong with my plants? They are actually bouncing back now that i have cut off all nutrients again. All the new growth and leaves that weren't effected remain healthy.

if what your doing works then dont change it unless you have to, i.e. your plants keep getting worse. if they seem to be fine then i wouldnt worry but do note that nute burn like that usually stays around the bottom of the plant and works its way up, so judging the new growth isnt the best way to tell that this has stopped happening. make sure it doesnt appear on any other of the lower growth too.

and as for the question on whether all the soil gets moist, the way i know mine saturates all the way thru the pot is like i said a little bit of runoff comes out, maybe a 1/2 cup give or take, but since i have mine in individual drip trays they can sit in that water and absorb the rest from the bottom. there is also methods like watering from the bottom ( which you cant do because of the way your pots are suspended ) or poking holes in the soil to make sure the water penetrates. both i have done.

ive even tried a wick feed method. literally put a bottle of water next to your pot with pieces of rope going from inside the water to on top of the soil.

like i said if everything seems good now dont change what your doing ( maybe water just a little bit less so the soil drys out faster, if u used 1.5 gallons cut it to a gallon per pot. not a big change but itll help i think ) but if they keep showing signs of nute burn, there are a couple options for ya.

Thanks g2smoke. I may have exaggerated a bit about my watering making it sound like i give it too much. I water slowly until i get a couple drips out the bottom. I dont have a lot of run off, just a few drips and it stops. I know the bigger the pot the less you need to water. But ya i do exactly what you do, i actually know when to stop by the weight and then 10 seconds later i will get a few drips out the bottom. i will keep that the same to limit the amount of variables incase i get more problems.

I need to hop over to your journal and see how your ladies are doing.

I do appreciate your tips, both of you. I will change it up if they start giving me problems but at the moment everything is looking top notch.

I will post an update when i get home, i have labled all the females, and i am proud to say i have comfired 4 out of the 6

Update: these pics were taken on 05/21/14, 34 days old. They are doing a lot better. I noticed today that one was wilting so they all recieved water. I will update sometime later today and report on their health.

Look at all those tops!!
20140521_061446.jpg
20140521_061612.jpg

Super bushy
20140521_062930.jpg
20140521_062958.jpg

Group photo
20140521_064255.jpg
20140521_064420.jpg
20140521_064729.jpg
20140521_064852.jpg
20140521_064858.jpg
20140521_064909.jpg
20140521_064929.jpg
20140521_064943.jpg

Ok, i need some opinions on 2 things. First off, i am wanting to transplant into 5 gallon buckets asap. They seem like they are starting to outgrow their containers. The stems are more than a inch and a half wide and the containers are only about 8 in wide. It looks like i am growing a tree in a pot. Second thing, i believe i want to make the switch to flower on friday the 30th. That will be 6 weeks since they were above ground, 7 from germination. Any input will be appreciated. You can even say "dont do that dumbass" if my plans dont sound good, i just want to give everyone a heads up so i can have a little bit of guidence. Maybe the transplant is a bad idea, maybe im going to flower too soon, maybe everything is perfect, let me know what you think even if you dont know what i should do. Thanks guys, i feel that everything is starting to come together. I wouldnt be this far without the 420 community!

If you are going to flip on the 30th i would deffo transplant them asap then flip about a week after,gives them chance to recover from the transplant shock :cheesygrinsmiley:

Sounds like a plan! Thats what i was thinking, i will transplant as soon as i can get some buckets and give them atleast a week. I hope i can go ahead and do the transplant later today, so i will post if i can get that done.

:thumb: that's what i done,transplanted mine gave them a week then flipped them,I wanted to avoid getting rootbound and having to transplant mid flower as it's not good for them at all during that stage and will stunt their growth,also if your changing from grow nutes to flowering nutes it's a good idea to flush before you flip.

:thumb: that's what i done,transplanted mine gave them a week then flipped them,I wanted to avoid getting rootbound and having to transplant mid flower as it's not good for them at all during that stage and will stunt their growth,also if your changing from grow nutes to flowering nutes it's a good idea to flush before you flip.

Im not sure if you remember my nute nightmare, i havnt been giving nutes at all because of the MG soil i started out with. Im not sure if i will be able to give them flower nutes without burning them. Time will tell i suppose..

yea id probably transplant asap and then flip a week later. 6 weeks is a pretty long veg time, longest ive vegged for indoors is 4 or 5 weeks, your sure to have some monster plants my friend!

Back
Top Bottom