Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

Day 15 from flip to 12/12:bongrip:

IMG_036728.JPG

Vlad

I mean, we think of it as a craft around here. :laughtwo:

Growing anything is definitely a craft. It's a nurturing relationship with a living thing, just like raising kids or horses. Okay, plants don't wake you up in the middle of the night or kick you, but you know what I mean. :)

And it's a relationship with the Earth itself. I don't know anyone who does any kind of gardening who doesn't feel and sniff the soil, and who doesn't get a serene pleasure from holding a handful of the good stuff. A handful of fertile soil is like a cup of good coffee. It just makes you feel good.

27 days until my outdoor Dark Devil grow starts. Here's the plan.

I'll probably start the seeds inside in about two weeks to give the plants a head start. Should be able to sprout them and have a few days, depending on the weather, to harden them off.

I don't want to get caught in the woods with bags of organic soil and a bunch of gardening tools. Instead, I'm going out with a camera, a rock hammer, and a bottle of water. "Just doing a little fossil hunting, mister deputy."

So what will I do for soil? Use what's already there. There's plenty of leaf mold and rotted wood around this area. I'm going to borrow a trick from hugelkultur gardening, and line the bottom of each hole with a good layer of rotted wood. I'm also going to borrow a trick from my hillbilly ancestors and fill the hole with a mixture of dirt and leaf mold. (It's how they used to grow tomatoes in the Ozarks.) It's not an ideal soil mix, but the rotted wood and leaf mold should give it a pretty good population of microcritters and fungus.

Deer are the nemesis. If I can find some old, rusted wire fencing, I can use that to shield the plants a bit without it looking like a deliberate grow. Other than that, all I can think of is to make a smoothie of lavender and rosemary leaves to pour around the grow. Since those are the only two plants the local deer won't eat, maybe the scent will distract them. Maybe...

Am I thinking straight here? Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm itching to start a DD or two inside, but I decided not to try it yet, since I don't have any good grow lights. Ordered some parts today for a DIY light setup that should work. Looks like I'll have the outdoor and indoor grows starting about the same time, so it'll be interesting to see the different results. Wish me luck, and stay tuned...

Today marks the second Cat Drench for Dark Devil. I am watering based on pot weight and watering a bit sooner than I would with photo plants, but I think I am doing a good job. I was surprised at the lack of growth both upward as well as bulking of colas on Dark Devil. I was looking over the plant and I believe she is spending energy growing lower growth while slowly bulking the colas.

IMG_007869.JPG

IMG_007970.JPG

IMG_008058.JPG

IMG_008162.JPG

Good Morning 420

I hope all is well in your part of the world. Let's see some more buds!

EDIT: I now see that this is an auto thread :scratchinghead: whoops? Am I in trouble, Sue? :cheesygrinsmiley:

day 17 in 12/12
IMG_039437.JPG

Vlad:bongrip:

Privet Vlad - nice looking plant there!:thumb:

I harvested one my small ladies - only got a 1/2 zip of black bud ....oh well smells real real good tho

pics_02_03_2016_022.JPG

pics_02_03_2016_024.JPG

pics_02_03_2016_021.JPG

next for chop she's a little bigger than the last one!

pics_01_28_2016_038.JPG

I would wait for a hint of amber at least on the trichomes.

I used my MOTM gft certificate today. Got 5 Dark Devil seeds n their way to me very soon!

WOO HOO! Oh, Shigg, that's wonderful! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the nugs you're going to grow :slide:

And thanks for the advice. They're fine to go as long as they want to, I'm in no hurry. So I can start the flush when I see amber?

I wasn't sure how long to let her foxtail ... that must make trimming interesting, eh? (One of my Early Misses in my first grow started to ft, but didn't get as far as this girl has already!)

Thanks so much, Vlad and Shigg.

I want to try to judge the ripeness of the plant as a whole, so part of my learning curve is being sensitive to an individual plant of a particular strain and its signals, as well as the range of signals one can look for. The DD looks like it's close to ready to me but I would like to see more yellowing of foliage and I would like some amber. I'm actually looking for couch lock / sleepy time in my case :) If I'm patient enough I'll harvest a cola sooner and then the rest later so I can smoke and compare. Never done that and I think it would be interesting.

Dear lord, I'm going to have more cannabis than I can consume! It's a lovely problem to have but it's getting a bit ridiculous, considering that I don't seem able to stop growing :)

I want to try to judge the ripeness of the plant as a whole, so part of my learning curve is being sensitive to an individual plant of a particular strain and its signals, as well as the range of signals one can look for. The DD looks like it's close to ready to me but I would like to see more yellowing of foliage and I would like some amber. I'm actually looking for couch lock / sleepy time in my case :) If I'm patient enough I'll harvest a cola sooner and then the rest later so I can smoke and compare. Never done that and I think it would be interesting.

Dear lord, I'm going to have more cannabis than I can consume! It's a lovely problem to have but it's getting a bit ridiculous, considering that I don't seem able to stop growing :)
If you really wanted to investigate ripeness I would harvest the plant in five parts 0-5%, 20-25%, 50%, 75%,100%. Cure them all and then compare.

Try not to overthink all of this.... Plants do some cool stuff like moving nutrients around to where the plant needs them. This decision is done in 2 places - one at the top or main cola called the apical meristem (the other at the root meristem). Chopping the apical meristem (main cola) off is not going to help with anything. I just chop the entire plant down and be done with it.

What happens with regard to "ripeness" for this strain they usually ripen top to btm. So if you harvest when the tops are ripe your lower down flowers will still have some fresh pistols which means clear trichomes and a bit more head high. I like both so I just chop when all of the flowers are ripe (no new pistols).

This is a fairly long lasting high, at least it is for me and it's pretty strong as well so I don't fret on the time to chop.

Back
Top Bottom